Alex Garland's Civil War

8oH.gif

He halfway dropped the ball w Men and some wanna right him off like Ex Machina and Annihilation aren't great. I'm all for this a million times over.

Ex Machina and Annihilation are both incredibly good, but Men... a total mess, that I still somewhat enjoyed. I hope this is a return to form, especially if Garland really is stepping away from directing.

Everything he wrote up until Ex Machina, including that film, has been ranging from great to absolutely fantastic. Annihilation wasn't bad or anything but for me it was definitely a step down from the rest of his filmography. Men had some good elements in it, including a pretty decent direction but the script was a total mess. I hope Civil War is a course correction.

I was pretty :shrug: from the beginning with 28 Days Later, though I like Kirsten Dunst a lot from that not interested in seeing more apocalyptic depiction from the writer.

I’ve really liked or loved everything from him, even though I had no clue as to what happened in Men I still enjoyed the movie, it was like a confusing nightmare.

That had to be the most inflammatory trailer I've seen since The Dictator's teaser trailer back in 2011.

Alex Garland.....WHAT are you trying to do with this movie? Are you trying to upset people? Cause NOBODY wants to be thinking of an alt-right uprising. Ever. And why are you being so mysterious to where you don't want to give out a plot synopsis? This isn't Cloverfield.

Last edited:
This looks like one of the highest budget A24 movies. Interesting to see a country where the states literally appear to be at war. Also, nice to see another combination of Kiersten Dunst and Jesse Plemons. These two have really hit it off since first working together on Fargo.

And you literally said "I'm not going to even post the trailer" in your initial post before you edit it at the same time I posted as well.
Well excuse me for changing my mind because I wanted to show people what I was talking about.

But seriously, why now make this? I'm worried it's gonna give the alt-right more bad ideas. Have we forgotten the whole January 6th thing?

The alt right is sitting around waiting for Alex Garland to make a movie where they're absolutely not going to be the heroes for inspiration on what to do. Yes. That is realistic.

Well excuse me for changing my mind because I wanted to show people what I was talking about.

But seriously, why now make this? I'm worried it's gonna give the alt-right more bad ideas. Have we forgotten the whole January 6th thing?
I mean how is this any different than all the stupid Purge movies, which also show off a lot of similar stupidity? I find it incredibly hard to believe that the crazies that invaded the Capital that day are citing dumb niche movies as to why they're committing treason.

It is a great trailer and I'm excited for the film, but yes, the subject matter is frightening and will certainly embolden some of the people who fantasize about this exact thing happening.

Except GTA doesn't AT ALL take itself seriously (I've beaten GTAV twice and am a frequenter on GTA Online), and The Purge as a concept is so ridiculous of a premise that it'd never actually happen in real life (murdering people and causing property damage does not benefit anyone, let alone a nation's economy, regardless of the rest of the details in the sequels contradicting this).

Making a movie about a group of journalists heading to DC as two states that are known real-life red-states succeed and lead a violent coup against the rest of America during at time where, in real life, the Republicans are trying to get rid of people's freedoms and turn crazy and/or fundamentalist people into the next Nazi party? Garland needs to read the damn room. And the realistic tone the trailer gives doesn't help.

This looks uncomfortable as hell to watch but I'll be watching regardless. Plemons looks insane in it.

Except GTA doesn't AT ALL take itself seriously (I've beaten GTAV twice and am a frequenter on GTA Online), and The Purge as a concept is so ridiculous of a premise that it'd never actually happen in real life (murdering people and causing property damage does not benefit anyone, let alone a nation's economy, regardless of the rest of the details in the sequels contradicting this).

Making a movie about a group of journalists heading to DC as two states that are known real-life red-states succeed and lead a violent coup against the rest of America during at time where, in real life, the Republicans are trying to get rid of people's freedoms and turn crazy and/or fundamentalist people into the next Nazi party? Garland needs to read the damn room. And the realistic tone the trailer gives doesn't help.
So do I report you for spam or just block you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"