All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be funny of they just said "**** Justice League's continuity" and brought Trevor back for real. :funny:

I don't see any issues with a Batman "prequel" franchise. There's all kinds of story potental. As far as contradicting the DCEU, simply by being Batman and waging his war, he'd be moving toward becoming the Batman we see in BVS. It wouldn't necessarily contradict much of anything.

I'm kind of intrigued by the Wonder Woman reveal. I like the reversal of their roles. That's pretty clever.

Last edited:
a DCEU Batman Prequel has TON of Story Potentials!

Namely an Arkham Asylum The Raid type of setting.. RED HOOD .. HUSH .. and the Court of Owls to Name a few!

So according to the THR report the only films that are ACTUALLY (close to) getting made as of now are:

Shazam!
Wonder Woman 1984
The Flash
The Joker
The Letoker
The Batman
Birds of Prey
Batgirl

And Suicide Squad 2 and Green Lantern.

I'm just going by the ones mentioned in today's article. SS2 seems like a lock but there's no telling on how far they are with it.

I'm glad that the new leadership has abandoned the Marvel-style "announce a bunch of movies at once" strategy.

Oh my god.
I hope the Batman prequel stuff turns out to be true.
That would be perfect.

So according to the THR report the only films that are ACTUALLY (close to) getting made as of now are:

Shazam!
Wonder Woman 1984
The Flash
The Joker
The Letoker
The Batman
Birds of Prey
Batgirl

Actually, the only films close to getting made (aside from Aquaman, Shazam and Wonder Woman 1984) are The Flash and Todd Philips' The Joker movie, which are planned to go in front of cameras between fall 2018 and spring 2019.

Everything else is being developed at the moment, and if you know a thing or two about filmmaking that means that they're pretty much up in the air.

Just be patient.

I'm just going by the ones mentioned in today's article. SS2 seems like a lock but there's no telling on how far they are with it.

I'm glad that the new leadership has abandoned the Marvel-style "announce a bunch of movies at once" strategy.

Me too.
Seems like Walter Hamada is just focusing on making good movies based on the DC comic books, which is all that counts.

I agree in that I don't think it confirms anything. But I disagree with the notion a vehicle is needed for a reboot. We didn't need a Flashpoint set-up after Batman & Robin. They just made Batman Begins. If it is not going to be connected to the DCEU at all, then they can easily just rip off the band aid and proceed. Heck, I don't even think a Flashpoint is needed on a recast either should it still be a DCEU movie!

I mentioned Flashpoint because it was a going rumor among journalists and fans that it was being planned until recently to have precisely this effect on Batman, but even more recently the title of the film seems to have changed back to just The Flash. I noticed that today's THR article described the Flash solo as inspired by Back to the Future, which has some Flashpoint qualities, but I suspect that unlike Flashpoint, it will just focus on Barry's life and family. Basically, I'm not sure I'd call the upcoming Batman films a reboot, then, because even if it's a prequel, it would still be set in the DCEU's timeline.

It really is absurd that it's taken this long for Affleck/WB to come clean about his commitment to the role. We basically know he's not coming back, so why prolong this?

I think that's why it seems like there's more to the story, so to speak. I mean, if Reeves was writing the script knowing he was writing it for a different Batman altogether, then he would have been working on it for quite some time and known the truth -- the set status of Affleck -- for awhile. Plus, JL has been out for months, including the DVD, and it's not as if the company has been trying to mince words or hide changes in the wake of that folly just to give it the smallest of boosts. So, what could explain the delay in announcing Affleck's departure? It makes me wonder if making the first installment of The Batman franchise focus on young Batman (possibly told in flashback) is a sort of compromise whereby a younger actor allows Affleck a break and audiences a break from the older version, but with Affleck able to jump in for present day stuff, including perhaps as the lead in one of Reeves' installments. I'm not sure. It's just that, like you, I find the lack of information and clarity to be bizarre.

At this point they could just salvage Wonder Woman and use that as the start of the " new DCEU" for all i care. Come out with a new Batman movie, a new Superman one and have WW and WW84 just disregard JL, BvS, SS and unfortunately MoS.

Come out with AquaMan, Flash (Not you Ezra), Shazam, Green Lantern and we'll shake on it and pretend it never happened.

If they wanna tie the new Batman to WW (because of the pic) then have a post credit scene in Reeves Batman where Bruce sends her the pic, but really, nobody cares.

It'd be funny of they just said "**** Justice League's continuity" and brought Trevor back for real. :funny:

I'd be well up for that.

Last edited:
It really is absurd that it's taken this long for Affleck/WB to come clean about his commitment to the role. We basically know he's not coming back, so why prolong this?

Has he issued a 'final' or 'official' statement on the role yet ? Am I missing major traction here ?

Has he issued a 'final' or 'official' statement on the role yet ? Am I missing major traction here ?

Both Deadline and Hollywood Reporter have published new articles that say Affleck is gone.

It's fine for people to think that there's still a chance he's sticking around, but all the evidence is definitely pointing to him being gone. Which is excellent news.

I honestly want more news on a new Superman movie than the Reeves Batman movie. I am game for whatever Matt Reeves does, but I am a bigger Superman fan, and cinema has not been nearly as kind recently. I want an actual movie about Superman again. Not some shared movie!

I honestly want more news on a new Superman movie than the Reeves Batman movie. I am game for whatever Matt Reeves does, but I am a bigger Superman fan, and cinema has not been nearly as kind recently. I want an actual movie about Superman again. Not some shared movie!

Quite. :super:

Preach. My Batman itch has been more than scratched, but its time to give big blue his due.

I think soft reboots and recasts for both Superman and Batman is probably the best way they can proceed. Clean house, start again, earn back the audience's faith.

I entirely agree Superman needs another movie more than Batman. A good one this time.

Both Deadline and Hollywood Reporter have published new articles that say Affleck is gone.

It's fine for people to think that there's still a chance he's sticking around, but all the evidence is definitely pointing to him being gone. Which is excellent news.

The articles speculate about Affleck being gone. They don't say that he is. Added to that is the mystery of why there hasn't been an announcement, if it's something that's been decided or in the works for awhile given that Reeves already wrote part of a script based on the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't looking for another actor, but what isn't as clear is whether or not that means Affleck is totally out. There could be more to the story than meets the eye.

I don't mind Batman film news. I do mind news about films like Leto's Joker's, Lobo, and Deathstroke. Like you, I want movement and news for Superman.

I think it would be easier, if they allowed Henry to say exactly what is up his/their sleeve, clearly there is something and by not announcing (if it's a Shazam cameo, I can see why obvs) but if it's a sequel stand alone, announce details, be proud of your man.

I think soft reboots and recasts for both Superman and Batman is probably the best way they can proceed. Clean house, start again, earn back the audience's faith.

I entirely agree Superman needs another movie more than Batman. A good one this time.

I don't think Superman needs to be rebooted or recast. I don't think anyone wants ANOTHER origin story for Superman, which I think even a soft reboot would have to touch on at least to some degree, and people seem pretty cool with Cavill as an actor. It was really just Snyder that people had a problem with, especially his effect on Superman, so I think just having him not involved would be enough to get a lot of that faith back. You earn audience faith with good movies, not superficial changes.

I think it would be easier, if they allowed Henry to say exactly what is up his/their sleeve, clearly there is something and by not announcing (if it's a Shazam cameo, I can see why obvs) but if it's a sequel stand alone, announce details, be proud of your man.

If all they have planned for him is a cameo in Shazam right now, then I cannot say this excites me. Because that is, ya know...a cameo. I want a friggin Superman film! :o

Superman is slowly becoming what the Hulk is in the MCU. I don't like it.

Affleck leaving would be breath of fresh air. The DCEU does need a soft reboot and a fresh start. What Ultra Nolanite suggested is what this universe needs. But I think rhey should keep Cavill. Recast Affleck with a younger actor and sign him for 5 movies. Pretend BvS, SS and JL never happened or rather just ignore those movies.

Affleck leaving would be breath of fresh air. The DCEU does need a soft reboot and a fresh start. What Ultra Nolanite suggested is what this universe needs. But I think rhey should keep Cavill. Recast Affleck with a younger actor and sign him for 5 movies. Pretend BvS, SS and JL never happened or rather just ignore those movies.

Earlier movies tend to be ignored for the most part anyway, even in more successful franchises. Not to mention most of the baggage from BvS was resolved in JL, which itself didn't leave loose ends that would impact future films; it already provided a clean break by resolving arcs and leaving characters with a positive new position to move forward. With Robbie's Harley and Leto's Joker apparently getting movies, it's hard to say they're looking at recasting as a way to freshen the air either. I imagine if Affleck is leaving altogether or has some sort of reduced role, that it's because he is driving those decisions and not the studio looking to revamp their universe with clumsy, drastic, and superficial changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"