All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly which story points in BVS, SS, or JL are so bad that the DCEU would have to pretend it never happened?

I get that people don't like certain dialogue, character portrayals, tonal issues, etc, but I can't think of a scenario where a future film would reference a previous film so specifically that it would matter.

The major story points and events within the films aren't the problem with the films so much as the execution of them, in most cases.

And I understand that it's somewhat annoying not to know whether Affleck is in or out for another film, but it doesn't seem to be Affleck driving all this media drama so much as the media.

Yes, the world wants to know, but Affleck and WB are really under no obligation to discuss specifics of his contract or a scenario where he is released from it, especially in a situation that has proven somewhat embarrassing to both parties.

Last edited:
They're not going to announce Affleck's departure until they are ready to announce his replacement, which is still way off from happening.

Batman prequel stuff? So we get to learn how he degraded so much?

Exciting.

Is it stand-alone or prequel series? I want stand-alone. With younger Batman.

Last edited:
And I understand that it's somewhat annoying not to know whether Affleck is in or out for another film, but it doesn't seem to be Affleck driving all this media drama so much as the media.

Yes, the world wants to know, but Affleck and WB are really under no obligation to discuss specifics of his contract or a scenario where he is released from it, especially in a situation that has proven somewhat embarrassing to both parties.

Just to clarify, in case there is a misunderstanding, when I said that I thought Affleck might be driving the decisions I didn't mean the PR around it. I meant that it's his preferences for what kind of role he wants in this universe that's driving the narrative/casting decisions. Meaning, it's possible WB/DC would have been fine with Affleck staying in the role, but it was Affleck himself who was wary of committing unless some compromises were made. In which case, setting the Matt Reeves' film earlier with a younger Batman, if it is a prequel, would be less about rebooting and fresh starts to create distance from previous films and more about giving Affleck more flexibility.

Ironing out something that complicated could take time and be difficult to figure out how to present to the press. I just think that if there really was a definitive decision made so long ago that Reeves has already crafted an early draft around it, then there doesn't seem to be any reason not to announce it when it's something that is going to come out eventually anyway. I see no benefit in waiting, especially since I can't think of an event or occasions that would seem better suited to such an announcement. I also doubt they're waiting until a replacement is found. Rumors that they're casting would make that a nearly impossible secret to keep, and honestly why? What good does that do?

I put up my feeling in The Batman thread but to recap and express some new feelings.

As Someone that has enjoyed the DCEU films but also respecting and understood those that have not, I appreciated the course corrections made in Justice League. I like how it ended and they could really go anywhere they want with it. But now with news of potentially two different Jokers in different films and potentially two different Batmen (younger for the solo films and Affleck for the JL sequels or films taking place afterwards or potentially no Batfleck at all) is starting to bother me. Its getting a bit frustrating to be a fan of the DCEU. I don't want to ignore BvS or JL, especially JL since its left for the potential Darkseid intro eventually. I could understand a bit of a X-Men days of future past type shack up but even then I question how it could all go down. Perhaps that's what they have or had in mind for The Flashpoint film. Idk.

All I know is that as someone that has been a supportive fan of the DCEU, this is making it harder and harder. I hope some more film announcements and details about all this come out soon. But All I ask to PLEASE keep Henry Cavill and Gal Gadot. I hate to lose Ben, but if Henry and Gal end up being out..... I'm afraid I'd have to just be done.
Sometimes its best to just walk away. But I'm not giving up yet. More details and announcements will help and I'm trying to stay hopeful.

They're not going to announce Affleck's departure until they are ready to announce his replacement, which is still way off from happening.

Why, though? If the rumblings are growing so loud that we're getting articles about the possibility with hints about script content, then what is the benefit of waiting? Why put Reeves and Affleck through questions nagging them about the same tired issue of Affleck's involvement, especially if news that he was gone would potentially make people pretty happy and excited even sooner for the film? I just don't see the point.

Gal isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Henry is another question.

Deadline is saying this is a reboot with a younger Batman. That means we don’t have to be worried about maintaining continuity with DCEU Batman.

This is a stand-alone reboot with a younger Batman. Just throw the old continuity out the window

Deadline is saying this is a reboot with a younger Batman. That means we don’t have to be worried about maintaining continuity with DCEU Batman.

This is a stand-alone reboot with a younger Batman. Just throw the old continuity out the window

There isn't any old continuity to throw out, if you're doing a younger Batman. It's just filling in previously unknown continuity. It's also odd for THR to have much more details and to have even mentioned reaching out to the studio for input, yet they didn't go so far as to say it was a reboot or that Affleck's departure was definitive. I think Deadline was mostly just speculating. Usually when they have something more solid, they present it with a separate article and some cited sources whether they are official or anonymous. Don't get me wrong, there could be some truth to it, but it's a little too hazy at the moment to be too certain about what is really going on.

I think you're right. Smart money says that they'll officially announce Affleck's departure once they cast this new younger Batman, which could take some time.

Affleck has been flip-flopping for almost two years. If he were sticking around we'd know by now.

But, If they do cast a younger Batman for the solo films and Affleck is out, what happens and who play Batman in the films taking place after JL? given that they continue which last I heard that was still the plan.
This raises so many questions.

Affleck leaving would be breath of fresh air. The DCEU does need a soft reboot and a fresh start. What Ultra Nolanite suggested is what this universe needs. But I think rhey should keep Cavill. Recast Affleck with a younger actor and sign him for 5 movies. Pretend BvS, SS and JL never happened or rather just ignore those movies.

That’s pretty much what I expect we’re getting. If the rumors are true we’re getting a tweaked Superman with a different costume as well. I think they’re looking at this as a fresh start.

That’s pretty much what I expect we’re getting. If the rumors are true we’re getting a tweaked Superman with a different costume as well. I think they’re looking at this as a fresh start.

where are the rumors of a tweaked Superman with a new costume? last rumor I heard is they are in talks about a director for MOS2

I think you're right. Smart money says that they'll officially announce Affleck's departure once they cast this new younger Batman, which could take some time.

Affleck has been flip-flopping for almost two years. If he were sticking around we'd know by now.

Why would they wait for the casting of a new Batman? Why make Affleck (and Reeves) dodge and have to carry a secret for YEARS potentially, including having it jeopardized by Affleck signing on to new projects that would give away the secret? It's just silly. What difference does it make to announce it now or later? As far as I'm aware, Affleck has said he wanted to be involved. He seemed pretty enthusiastic last summer at SDCC when rumors were once again swirling around about his imminent departure. I just don't see the point in waiting if the decision has already been made and made awhile ago (apparently going by the script).

Why would they wait for the casting of a new Batman? Why make Affleck (and Reeves) dodge and have to carry a secret for YEARS potentially, including having it jeopardized by Affleck signing on to new projects that would give away the secret? It's just silly. What difference does it make to announce it now or later? As far as I'm aware, Affleck has said he wanted to be involved. He seemed pretty enthusiastic last summer at SDCC when rumors were once again swirling around about his imminent departure. I just don't see the point in waiting if the decision has already been made and made awhile ago (apparently going by the script).
Reeves isn't even done with the script yet. Why would he already be casting actors?

EDIT: Misread your post. You mean why wait to announce Affleck's departure in tandem with the new actor. Simple. Offsetting bad news with good news.

Last edited:

The actual storytelling in the DCEU thus far has been a rebirth and fresh start for Superman. It's not a "tweak" if Superman gets a new costume. It's not a "tweak" if he's merely the next logical step for the character following JL. A "fresh start" for Batman doesn't set his films during his younger crime fighting years. That's a prequel with a younger actor. None of this is doing anything to DCEU continuity that wasn't already built into the universe itself. It's all working within the continuum of continuity that already exists.

But, If they do cast a younger Batman for the solo films and Affleck is out, what happens and who play Batman in the films taking place after JL? given that they continue which last I heard that was still the plan.
This raises so many questions.

They could just age up whoever they pick for the prequels.
Like they did with Bale for TDKR

Last edited:
Reeves isn't even done with the script yet. Why would he already be casting actors?

Well, I mean, I never said he was casting already. Others were simply saying they would wait to announce Affleck not being Batman anymore until casting occurred. That said, I think it isn't out of the realm of possibility to cast before you have a completed script, if you know what kind of character you're creating.

EDIT: Misread your post. You mean why wait to announce Affleck's departure in tandem with the new actor. Simple. Offsetting bad news with good news.

No problem.

As to your first question, it's the tried and true approach of softening bad news with good news.

I don't see how that works in this situation. Both pieces of information are essentially the same thing: a person in the role of a character. And it's not as if Affleck leaving with the news that it's so a younger actor can replace him wouldn't already clue people in to the idea that another actor would be taking over. It's not as if Affleck leaving would mean Batman wasn't happening. And, if Affleck leaving is bad news, then people who would miss him aren't going to be less unhappy just because someone else is dangled in front of them. I also question whether or not it would even be seen as bad news that Affleck was leaving or that WB/DC even care. They've been pretty open about their changes recently, so why would this one be any different? It just doesn't seem that reasonable to wait, especially if it's for a long time.

I don't think announcement of Affleck's departure is tied to the casting of a younger actor in a stand-alone Batman franchise. It's tied to Aquaman. If Aquaman gets positive fan and critics reception, they still may have plans for recasting of an older Batman (or even keeping Affleck, lol, who clearly wants out) for future DCFU films. Seeing how they still have plans for Leto while having a completely different Joker film, it's not really surprising.

I suppose it's a matter of how you look at it. You ask, "Why the wait?" I ask, "What's the rush?" Since Justice League premiered in November, how many times has Affleck been interviewed, and how many times in the last six months has he had to answer the question? Same for Reeves. Save for the typically flooding of fan questions on Twitter, I've seen no indication that these guys have been nothing but harassed about it since last year.

So yeah. Personally, I say finish the script and once you've hired the new actor you put out the press release announcing the casting and Affleck's subsequent departure. Get everything lined up first and then put it all out there at one time.

where are the rumors of a tweaked Superman with a new costume? last rumor I heard is they are in talks about a director for MOS2

In April. Rumor was they're going to be introducing a new costume and are tweaking his characterization. The claim was that he's gonna be introduced in Shazam to reintroduce him to audiences and see if there's interest in a new Superman flick.

It would make sense for them to want to have some good news to announce before they drop the bad news. Something to soften the PR blow.

I suppose it's possible he might remain involved moving forward in some capacity (NIGHTWING, BATGIRL, etc). That might actually be kind of cool.

There isn't any old continuity to throw out, if you're doing a younger Batman. It's just filling in previously unknown continuity. It's also odd for THR to have much more details and to have even mentioned reaching out to the studio for input, yet they didn't go so far as to say it was a reboot or that Affleck's departure was definitive. I think Deadline was mostly just speculating. Usually when they have something more solid, they present it with a separate article and some cited sources whether they are official or anonymous. Don't get me wrong, there could be some truth to it, but it's a little too hazy at the moment to be too certain about what is really going on.

You realize that by making it a prequel, it still places this story into a box. There are still parameters. I like the idea of there being no expectations for this story, so that it’s completely unattached to other DCEU stories featuring Batman. It opens more possibilities this way and allows Reeves to have more wiggle room. Imagine if there were already expectations in place for where Bale’s Batman would end up at the end of the trilogy. Nolan would probably hate that and i bet Reeves would too.

Bring on the reboot, no attachment to DCEU Batman please!

The answer to this is probably obvious... WB isn’t afraid of two Jokers. Why would they be afraid of two Batmans?

Affleck may remain as our modern day Batman, and then the Reeves series is a stand-alone with little connection to the DCEU.

Not really that down with this idea but it makes sense

It would make sense for them to want to have some good news to announce before they drop the bad news. Something to soften the PR blow.

It doesn't soften the PR blow at all to continue to let rumors run rampant for several more weeks or months. The PR is already hyping the bad news as if it's truth.

You realize that by making it a prequel, it still places this story into a box. There are still parameters. I like the idea of there being no expectations for this story, so that it’s completely unattached to other DCEU stories featuring Batman. It opens more possibilities this way and allows Reeves to have more wiggle room. Imagine if there were already expectations in place for where Bale’s Batman would end up at the end of the trilogy. Nolan would probably hate that and i bet Reeves would too.

Bring on the reboot, no attachment to DCEU Batman please!

I really don't get this approach. If there's no attachment to DCEU Batman, then Batman as a character in any form cannot be a part of the DCEU unless the entire DCEU is rebooted in some way. If this new Matt Reeves version of Batman is ever going be part of the DCEU, then his new Batman continuity and characterization cannot be totally standalone either. There's always going to be a box the new Batman franchise will have to fit into. The only way to totally remove any sort of boxes would be to completely excise Batman from the DCEU altogether or to reboot the entire DCEU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"