Inhumans "...AND FINALLY: BLACK BOLT" - Inhumans' final episode (Use Spoiler tags)

They were probably allowed to eat and take breaks.

And how come we didn't see Iridia again?

The wings cost too much money? In-story, it appears she ascended firmly into middle class and became irrelevant.

I never saw anything to show that the people in the mines were literally slaves. It seemed to me that they had no other choice about their job and, if they didn't work, they obviously wouldn't make money, but that's not the same as slave labor. Instead, it feels very much like a rigid Bolshevik economy.

The wings cost too much money? In-story, it appears she ascended firmly into middle class and became irrelevant.

I never saw anything to show that the people in the mines were literally slaves. It seemed to me that they had no other choice about their job and, if they didn't work, they obviously wouldn't make money, but that's not the same as slave labor. Instead, it feels very much like a rigid Bolshevik economy.

Yeah, they are assigned jobs that best suit their powers and the needs of the city. It's kind of like how a lot of counties with small populations have mandatory service in the military where pretty much everyone has to serve for a few years or else they'd have no military. They took away freedom to choose a career and a system that doesn't have room for advancement because otherwise the city would fail to sustain their life. The only other option is to relocate or create a colony. And in this episode it's implied doing so puts them in danger from the Kree. So damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Maximus was evil, obviously. He was the one who pushed the button to destroy the city, and he admitted, rightfully, that everything was his fault. His instability and willingness to kill, which they were well aware of, meant that submission was not just death for them, but for anyone who questioned his rule after that. Not a viable, honourable or heroic choice.

The Royal Family was arrogant, and they learned humility on Earth, and returned changed. We see their arrogance thinking the world is theirs in the early episodes, and by the end Medusa is openly acknowledging that she has mistreated people, and is making speeches not to try and control the people for the good of the Royal family, as Maximus does, but to save the people.

This was all pretty well spelled out, and for my money, well acted and often with decent to good dialogue. Are we sure we're not letting the cheap visuals cloud our perception of the Royal Fam here?

My question is:
Where on Earth did they land, exactly? I don't recognize those fences from the final scene, and they leave it super open.

Maximus was evil, obviously. He was the one who pushed the button to destroy the city, and he admitted, rightfully, that everything was his fault. His instability and willingness to kill, which they were well aware of, meant that submission was not just death for them, but for anyone who questioned his rule after that. Not a viable, honourable or heroic choice.

The Royal Family was arrogant, and they learned humility on Earth, and returned changed. We see their arrogance thinking the world is theirs in the early episodes, and by the end Medusa is openly acknowledging that she has mistreated people, and is making speeches not to try and control the people for the good of the Royal family, as Maximus does, but to save the people.

This was all pretty well spelled out, and for my money, well acted and often with decent to good dialogue. Are we sure we're not letting the cheap visuals cloud our perception of the Royal Fam here?

My question is:
Where on Earth did they land, exactly? I don't recognize those fences from the final scene, and they leave it super open.

What did you think of the show overall?

What did you think of the show overall?

I thought it was a great 2-3 day binge, honestly. I really enjoyed Serinda Swan's performance, and Karnak's storyline, and I think those two aspects of the show were on par with the best superhero television we have out nowadays. There are lots of other things I liked, and more importantly I liked the overall storyline and mythos and it had a conclusion which addressed the major arcs AND THEMES of the show and allowed the heroes to be flat out wrongheaded and actually in need of a true transformational story arc, which occurs and is resolved, and I honestly just don't know if that happens so often anymore. What I didn't like really comes down to it being a TV show whose scale is beyond it's budget, or perhaps simply its ability to manage its budget. Smallville effects, Star Trek TNG fight choreography, Stargate set design. My Lord, they used that hallway to DEATH. There was times they'd leave a room just to come right back to it because they simply didn't have other places to have conversations in.

I would never have even watched it if a fellow comic geek had not recommended the show to me. I think most of the disparity between the quality of the show and the perception of the show is a function of very poor marketing, where this show was marketed as big movie-ish event, and it just isn't, isn't, isn't that. The rest of the disparity comes from it simply not being very epic and most of the superpowers getting maybe one or two total uses. For the three Inhumans die hards out there, having Blackbolt never scream and Medusa spend most of the time without her hair must be like if Man of Steel was about Superman jumping tall buildings and the fallout of Clark and Lois breaking up.

Last edited:
I thought it was a great 2-3 day binge, honestly. I really enjoyed Serinda Swan's performance, and Karnak's storyline, and I think those two aspects of the show were on par with the best superhero television we have out nowadays. There are lots of other things I liked, and more importantly I liked the overall storyline and mythos and it had a conclusion which addressed the major arcs AND THEMES of the show and allowed the heroes to be flat out wrongheaded and actually in need of a true transformational story arc, which occurs and is resolved, and I honestly just don't know if that happens so often anymore. What I didn't like really comes down to it being a TV show whose scale is beyond it's budget, or perhaps simply its ability to manage its budget. Smallville effects, Star Trek TNG fight choreography, Stargate set design. My Lord, they used that hallway to DEATH. There was times they'd leave a room just to come right back to it because they simply didn't have other places to have conversations in.

I would never have even watched it if a fellow comic geek had not recommended the show to me. I think most of the disparity between the quality of the show and the perception of the show is a function of very poor marketing, where this show was marketed as big movie-ish event, and it just isn't, isn't, isn't that. The rest of the disparity comes from it simply not being very epic and most of the superpowers getting maybe one or two total uses. For the three Inhumans die hards out there, having Blackbolt never scream and Medusa spend most of the time without her hair must be like if Man of Steel was about Superman jumping tall buildings and the fallout of Clark and Lois breaking up.

The look and budget of the show is definitely the number 1 reason for the show's reception, and I agree with you we were never getting something looking like a movie, and given the parameters of TV, the effects and such were acceptable. Comparing the effects in this to say, Thor: Ragnarok, then yeah they are awful. But, reletive to other shows, they are acceptable. I think the Earth based plot lines bother me most in the show. The people they find on Earth befriend and are willing to give their lives for them WAY too quickly and just feels unrealistic to me. They also meander the plot a lot. I liked the show much more when they were on Attilan from a plot perspective, even if the set and art direction issues are obvious.

In the end, I think the foundation for a much better 2nd season is there should the show miraculously get a 2nd season, but I think this will be the first MCU property to be 1 and done. I don't regret watching the show, and honestly I enjoyed it more than Luke Cage overall. Luke Cage's 2nd half of the season I found so be such a downgrade from the 1st half, it killed the whole show for me, while this show never was great, but I was entertained overall (though sometimes, that was ironically more so than from it being good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"