Inhumans "MAKE WAY FOR... MEDUSA" - Inhumans' fourth episode (Use Spoiler tags)

Inhumans Season 1 Episode 4 Make Way for... Medusa Review
[YT] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-WSYGfzYEU[/YT]
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-WSYGfzYEU

valmont17021 day ago (edited)
I don't listen to haters, because everything is matter of taste and each one of us sees the world through his/her own lens... So, there's no such a thing as bad or good taste, but only "different tastes"... This being said, I thought the first two episodes were decent ; episode 3, good. And this 4th one has some great moments, it tends to very good.
This show is not about "show off", but more on characters' building and various intrigues that goes in different directions but will come together at some point... I get why people see it as a soap, but that's because we are used to another format, when it comes to Comic Book adaptations. It's a different tone and it's built like no other superhero product out there... Making it weird, in most people's eyes.?
by--
I thought the first two episodes were really good.The third one was better then the first 2 and i thought episode 4 is best one so far.I think this show is really good but you still have some folks who think aos and jessica jones are bad shows,so what is their excuses?I can't take them seriously.AOS and jessica jones are really good shows too.
Episode 4 is the best Episode so far.This is a really good show.

Last edited:
I just watched episode 4 last night, and it's going from "Eh, not great, but let's see where they're going with this." to "I don't know if I'll even bother watching the next episode."

Mortis is laughably cheesy.

That (government scientist? whatever the hell she's supposed to be) hanging out with Medusa is annoying and pointless (as is Medusa herself).

The Karnak soap-opera is just plain stupid. There's no chemistry, there's no explanation and the jealous rival skulking in the marijuana leaves is so dumb as to be comical.

And all of the characters have the personalities of wet Kleenex.

What will happen next? I really don't care in the slightest.

Maximus seems like the only character even doing anything. Are we supposed to be rooting for him? I honestly don't know anymore. I certainly don't see any reason to root for anybody else.

I'm sorry. I really tried to give this a chance from the day it was announced. But even though I own the series on Vudu, I don't know if I'll even finish watching it.

The small, bright glimmers of potential (such as the guy mentioning that Black-Bolt could kill Medusa with a whisper in his sleep) are woefully unexplored and lost in the meaningless crap.

Man, just 8 episodes this season and people are already dropping this show. Just Imagine if it had 22 episodes this season lol. That bad, huh...

Well many also dropped Aos after a few episodes and Ac after it's first season. The ratings will prove that. So not exactly shocking. Marvel TV doesn't have a good track record.

Man, just 8 episodes this season and people are already dropping this show. Just Imagine if it had 22 episodes this season lol. That bad, huh...

I actually might give it some more time if there were 22 episodes. With eight episodes I'm looking at this and thinking: "We're in the middle of the second act. The tension should really be building now and leading to an exciting conclusion over the next 4 episodes."

But I'm getting nothing. If it were a 22 episode season, we'd just be in the middle of the first act, so I'd understand that things were building slowly as they introduced characters etc.

Eight episodes should be ideal for telling a tight, clear, well structured story, but this seems vague and meandering at best.

It almost seems like the writers don't know where they're going - like a soap opera that they're just making up as they go.

the biggest problem with Inhumans is not the lack of budget or effects. Let's throw out for a second that this looks nothing like the Jack Kirby inspired drama we hoped for. Just judging it as a regular TV show the editing is absolutely terrible. They cut off scenes in really weird places and then have dialogue that is shot from 40 different angles, constantly cutting between camera views. In addition to that the plot is absolutely razor thin, and dialogue is stretched uncomfortably long. There's just weird stuff where that girl takes Karnak out to the ocean, and they go swimming together, then they get out to go have sex in her tent. It's like 20 scenes where literally not one single moment advances the plot.

Then there's the long drawn out scenes with Gorgon. He's like best friends now with these guys who he just met on the beach, who seem cool with wanting to die for him even though they just met. Then he runs off to protect them, because he cares about them too much, even though he just met them like 2 episodes ago.

Iwan Rheon is a great actor, and you can tell he's trying his best with this role, but they just give him so little to work with. He's having big long scenes where he's talking to someone on com link but we don't really get to see him interact with anyone.

The one part of the show that I like is showing some of the flashbacks, but the clips are so small it's becoming annoying how much they are dragging out these plot points.

I could deal with this show being on a TV budget, but I really have a hard time dealing with the fact that it seems like the script was written by a middle school student as a class project, and the fact that it seems like it was just randomly cut together.

Will this show ever redeem itself before the seasons end and inevitable cancellation?

I really have a hard time dealing with the fact that it seems like the script was written by a middle school student as a class project, and the fact that it seems like it was just randomly cut together.

I absolutely agree. The sets and costumes aren't spectacular, but they would work fine if they were used in a compelling, well-crafted story. I don't sit there thinking: "Hey, that doesn't look like an alien colony on the moon." I sit there thinking: "This story and these characters don't interest me."

And that's a crime. Black Bolt is a great character. Medusa is a great character. Gorgon and Triton and Karnak and Crystal and Maximus are all great characters.

A story that really delved into Black Bolt's isolation and constant battle to stay in control (both literally and figuratively) while Maximus argued to the people of Attilan that they need to use their power to kill the humans and take the Earth instead of subsisting on the meager resources of the moon, could be an epic story with the fate of the Earth hanging in the balance.

... but instead they chose to completely waste these characters and situations with trite vignettes that include run-of-the mill chase scenes, dispassionate romances, generally unrealistic interactions and scenarios and characters whose boringness is eclipsed only by their unlikeability.

Last edited:
the biggest problem with Inhumans is not the lack of budget or effects. Let's throw out for a second that this looks nothing like the Jack Kirby inspired drama we hoped for. Just judging it as a regular TV show the editing is absolutely terrible. They cut off scenes in really weird places and then have dialogue that is shot from 40 different angles, constantly cutting between camera views. In addition to that the plot is absolutely razor thin, and dialogue is stretched uncomfortably long. There's just weird stuff where that girl takes Karnak out to the ocean, and they go swimming together, then they get out to go have sex in her tent. It's like 20 scenes where literally not one single moment advances the plot.

Then there's the long drawn out scenes with Gorgon. He's like best friends now with these guys who he just met on the beach, who seem cool with wanting to die for him even though they just met. Then he runs off to protect them, because he cares about them too much, even though he just met them like 2 episodes ago.

Iwan Rheon is a great actor, and you can tell he's trying his best with this role, but they just give him so little to work with. He's having big long scenes where he's talking to someone on com link but we don't really get to see him interact with anyone.

The one part of the show that I like is showing some of the flashbacks, but the clips are so small it's becoming annoying how much they are dragging out these plot points.

I could deal with this show being on a TV budget, but I really have a hard time dealing with the fact that it seems like the script was written by a middle school student as a class project, and the fact that it seems like it was just randomly cut together.

Will this show ever redeem itself before the seasons end and inevitable cancellation?
Exactly, the biggest fault in this show is how it's filmed and edited. You can forgive terrible cgi (which to be fair the cgi is good) if the story is captivating enough it doesn't necessarily matter how grand or lack luster the effects are, when you get down to it, that's just window dressing. This show fails at telling a story.

I'm not even comparing this show to a film, but to other TV shows. AoS for all it's fault has done a great job with dialog, cinematography, editing, etc. Even when the writing falters the show is still well crafted. It's the stuff you normally don't notice unless they do something really well or really poorly because it's the basics.

The premise of the show is a good set up. Take these powerful and relatively sheltered individuals and throw them into, a world completely out of their comfort zone. The King of a nation getting thrown into prison is an interesting idea. Medusa loosing her hair and Karnak being unable to think clearly are both great cost effective ways to explore these characters. Gorgon being hunted by those he trained can be exhilarating. And having all of these character run into average people who not only help them but also redefine their would view is a fascinating concept. But ever choice made to develop these ideas just falls flat.

There was a lot more potential in this show had they just spent a little more time with it.

Make way for... a completely unlikable character.

These characters were originally just paper thin...but I am developing a growing hatred of every one of them as each week passes. Medusa was just the worst this week. I refuse to accept the royal family as good guys in this story. They are villains, regardless of whatever cheap excuse they use to turn Maximus into another villain (he remains the closest thing to a hero in the story at this point).

And the focus on regular people is annoying. While I get that its a cool idea to have them learning about humanity, could it have been done in more subtle ways? I maybe have missed something because of my constant, uncontrollable eye-rolling.

Make way for... a completely unlikable character.

These characters were originally just paper thin...but I am developing a growing hatred of every one of them as each week passes. Medusa was just the worst this week. I refuse to accept the royal family as good guys in this story. They are villains, regardless of whatever cheap excuse they use to turn Maximus into another villain (he remains the closest thing to a hero in the story at this point).

And the focus on regular people is annoying. While I get that its a cool idea to have them learning about humanity, could it have been done in more subtle ways? I maybe have missed something because of my constant, uncontrollable eye-rolling.

I agree on all these points. Realistically, the reason they're probably spending so much time on Earth is to keep the budget down, but as long as you're there, DO SOMETHING. They could certainly have much more interesting interactions between them and the humans if that's going to be a big part of the story.

Exactly, the biggest fault in this show is how it's filmed and edited. You can forgive terrible cgi (which to be fair the cgi is good) if the story is captivating enough it doesn't necessarily matter how grand or lack luster the effects are, when you get down to it, that's just window dressing. This show fails at telling a story.

I'm not even comparing this show to a film, but to other TV shows. AoS for all it's fault has done a great job with dialog, cinematography, editing, etc. Even when the writing falters the show is still well crafted. It's the stuff you normally don't notice unless they do something really well or really poorly because it's the basics.

The premise of the show is a good set up. Take these powerful and relatively sheltered individuals and throw them into, a world completely out of their comfort zone. The King of a nation getting thrown into prison is an interesting idea. Medusa loosing her hair and Karnak being unable to think clearly are both great cost effective ways to explore these characters. Gorgon being hunted by those he trained can be exhilarating. And having all of these character run into average people who not only help them but also redefine their would view is a fascinating concept. But ever choice made to develop these ideas just falls flat.

There was a lot more potential in this show had they just spent a little more time with it.

All these storylines would've made more sense in a second season. Watching superheroes struggle with losing their powers is more compelling when you know what their powers are and what they do with them. Come to think of it, it's the same with watching Maximus's betrayal and the family's attempts to find one another. We would care more had we seen more interactions between them on Attilan.

I agree on all these points. Realistically, the reason they're probably spending so much time on Earth is to keep the budget down, but as long as you're there, DO SOMETHING. They could certainly have much more interesting interactions between them and the humans if that's going to be a big part of the story.

The weird thing is...a few of the relationships with humans feel like I missed 2 seasons of character development. That lady and Karnak are making out now? Gorgon and the surfer bros are now "family?" Where was any of this earned?

I dont need constant special effects...but the problems with this show go far beyond the budget.

All these storylines would've made more sense in a second season. Watching superheroes struggle with losing their powers is more compelling when you know what their powers are and what they do with them. Come to think of it, it's the same with watching Maximus's betrayal and the family's attempts to find one another. We would care more had we seen more interactions between them on Attilan.

Yeah, I don't think you needed to wait until season 2 necessarily, but you do need to establish these characters. If the coup didn't happen until the end of the second episode it could have given us enough time to care about the characters. While taking away Medusa's hair and Karnak's powers is a budget thing, it's also has the possibility of a really great character study, except they're not studying the characters at all. When it was revealed that Karnak loses his powers I remember thinking "wow that's interesting, can't wait to see where that goes for the character" and it's gone no where except to waste screen time. So much wasted potential.

So I had a random theory with the Karna plot: We've seen in the first episode when Karnak saw an attractive woman that he's cursed by his ability to see the flaws in people. Now, he's lost his powers and is able to meet someone and get with her. My theory is that, at some point, he gets his powers back. As soon as he does, he recognizes the flaws in the girl and isn't able to stay with her any more.

What do people think (either of the plausibility of the theory or whether you'd like to see that)? My big fear is they're just going to fridge her, but I think this is a much more interesting idea that follows the plot we've seen so far.

The weird thing is...a few of the relationships with humans feel like I missed 2 seasons of character development. That lady and Karnak are making out now? Gorgon and the surfer bros are now "family?" Where was any of this earned?

I dont need constant special effects...but the problems with this show go far beyond the budget.

they bonded over carrying a dead blokes body back.

why the suffers got involved. they are danger seekers in a country with very liberal gun laws.

its light entertainment based on current events. Maximus is trump, medusa is hillary, a lot of anger towards her. you are meant to be put off by her, but be impressed by her determination, art. let it play through. If herself and blackbolt are back in charge by the end of the season iam wrong, if maximus is still in power it suggests the point is to mimic real life events. That could be interesting to see how it goes.

So I had a random theory with the Karna plot: We've seen in the first episode when Karnak saw an attractive woman that he's cursed by his ability to see the flaws in people. Now, he's lost his powers and is able to meet someone and get with her. My theory is that, at some point, he gets his powers back. As soon as he does, he recognizes the flaws in the girl and isn't able to stay with her any more.

What do people think (either of the plausibility of the theory or whether you'd like to see that)? My big fear is they're just going to fridge her, but I think this is a much more interesting idea that follows the plot we've seen so far.

Boom! I didn't get it until you pointed it out...

its light entertainment based on current events. Maximus is trump, medusa is hillary, a lot of anger towards her. you are meant to be put off by her, but be impressed by her determination, art. let it play through. If herself and blackbolt are back in charge by the end of the season iam wrong, if maximus is still in power it suggests the point is to mimic real life events. That could be interesting to see how it goes.

That would be fine but I think you are projecting too much intentional allegory on it in this case, IMO it is just serendipity.
But now I'm more curious than before of its resolution...
Who will be the first to fall, Trump or Maximus? :oldrazz:

This is an interesting idea. I'm skeptical because I haven't seen anything in the show so far to make me think they've put any real thought or creative effort into any of this, but we'll see.

If they had several elements like this in the final episodes and brought everything together in a way that made sense, it could save the season... but I'd be surprised if it ends differently than it began - with a bunch of random, uninteresting story elements just meandering pointlessly and inexplicably.

Well, they more or less reversed it with her "ditching" him in the next episode.
Would not have predicted it!

There was also a nice callback. I didn't like this plotline overall, but I appreciate how it wrapped up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"