The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man! - Part 1

The only time I think he excels is when he has the costume on.

When he's out of costume...I'm like what is with his performance? It's so unlike Peter Parker to me.

I think another problem I have with his performance, and this could be a directing thing, is that he seemed to be trying way too hard to make it seem like he was not *acting* or to make his performance seem and lines seem more improvised. It was a jarring style.

Does anyone see what I'm talking about?

Last edited:
He was perfect as Parker and Spidey to me. His Parker reminds me alot of Ditko's Peter.

For me, there is a nice medium between the Maguire Parker and the Garfield Parker we haven't seen yet. Maguire's Parker was good as the nerd, but he never evolved past that like he does in the comic. Garfield it is hard for me to buy as a nerd. He is more hipster/suave than he is science student. Honestly, I would like to see something in between. Hands down, Garfield is better IN the costume than Tobey. No doubt. But, his Peter does things I don't agree with. Like when walking in the street in this one, he causes a bumper to bumper as he isn't watching the road. Peter Parker is NOT that guy! That type of stuff needs to stop.

yeah he is perfect has both PP and sm I don't see how any one could be better. Who ever plays spider man after him is going to have some big shoes to fell.

The only time I think he excels is when he has the costume on.

When he's out of costume...I'm like what is with his performance? It's so unlike Peter Parker to me.

I think another problem I have with his performance, and this could be a directing thing, is that he seemed to be trying way too hard to make it seem like he was acting or improvising his lines. It was a jarring style.

Does anyone see what I'm talking about?

I feel EXACTLY the same way. I think Garfield is a lot more comfortable in the costume. While watching TASM2, Spidey himself was THE highlight of the movie for me.

As Peter Parker ... Not only do I think he was written badly (again), but I really did not like Andrew Garfield's acting. I feel like he kinda sucked the energy out of every scene he was in as Peter, for the same reasons you explained, TheVileOne. His style of acting was jarring, and it just didn't feel natural at all to me.

And yes I agree with a lot of Spider-Fan's comments as well. When he's Peter he is way too suave and weird. Causing that collision in traffic, I was like "hey, what the **** Peter?" I mean for the fans that hated all the soap opera romance in the Raimi films, having just this weird awkward moment, that was meant to be comedic, where he walks through traffic and casually causes this weird accident...I'm like, what the hell is going on, movie?

Even after Peter matured, he never seemed to be this bizarre.

And yes I agree with a lot of Spider-Fan's comments as well. When he's Peter he is way too suave and weird. Causing that collision in traffic, I was like "hey, what the **** Peter?" I mean for the fans that hated all the soap opera romance in the Raimi films, having just this weird awkward moment, that was meant to be comedic, where he walks through traffic and casually causes this weird accident...I'm like, what the hell is going on, movie?

Even after Peter matured, he never seemed to be this bizarre.

A better way to write that "joke" would have been that he got so distracted by Gwen that his dopey-ness caused a small car accident and realized it too late while awkwardly shouting "Sorry!!" I mean, at least it would have shown he cared and felt bad about causing an accident. I definitely said "WTF" to myself during that scene too. It wasn't funny, and it showed that Peter is kind of a *****ey idiot.

Also, his dialogue with Gwen: The whole "don't touch your nose!" and "laugh uglier!" thing made me roll my eyes really hard. You know what it reminded me of? (500) Days of Summer, like the bedroom/kitchen shopping scenes. You know what happened in (500) Days of Summer? That cutesy crap's novelty wore off and the couple broke up. The director repeats this stuff in the TASM movies, and suddenly it's true love? Kay ... :dry: The dialogue was at least interesting in (500) Days of Summer though. This movie felt like Attack of the Clones, for goodness sake.

And Peter's big scene with Aunt May ... Sally Field hit it out of the park and I wanted to give her a standing ovation for chewing Peter out like that. The scene is ruined by Garfield's really awkward acting here, in my opinion (and it was also ruined by the writing). He was just "off" compared to Sally Field, and that's the best way I can describe it. His response to her was more awkward than genuine.

Also, this Peter don't give a rat's butt about Uncle Ben ... Which is pretty much one of the biggest sins you can make against the character of Spider-Man altogether.

Now, with all of that said, I still think Garfield was absolutely wonderful whenever he was in the Spider-Man costume. Like I said, I think he's much more comfortable as Spidey than he is as Peter.

At least this Peter Parker didn't PUNCH his girlfriend.

[YT]/watch?v=cziUFQMTEDk[/YT]

At least this Peter Parker didn't PUNCH his girlfriend.

[YT]/watch?v=cziUFQMTEDk[/YT]

That was while he was under the influence of the symbiote (and he was supposed to be an evil jerk). Also, Peter immediately got rid of the suit afterwards because he hated what he did.

Nice try though. :p

Still stands, no domestic violence in the new spiderman films, it's a welcome change.

Umm...

At least Tobey Maguire Spider-Man didn't kill his girlfriend or break a promise to her dying father about promising to leave her alone.

For me, there is a nice medium between the Maguire Parker and the Garfield Parker we haven't seen yet. Maguire's Parker was good as the nerd, but he never evolved past that like he does in the comic. Garfield it is hard for me to buy as a nerd. He is more hipster/suave than he is science student. Honestly, I would like to see something in between. Hands down, Garfield is better IN the costume than Tobey. No doubt. But, his Peter does things I don't agree with. Like when walking in the street in this one, he causes a bumper to bumper as he isn't watching the road. Peter Parker is NOT that guy! That type of stuff needs to stop.

He doesn't need to watch the road. He has his spider sense. We even see him sense the truck before it comes.

No matter what you think of TASM2 (Personally I really like it), I feel like it's safe to say that we have never had a better Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Garfield owns the role.

A better way to write that "joke" would have been that he got so distracted by Gwen that his dopey-ness caused a small car accident and realized it too late while awkwardly shouting "Sorry!!" I mean, at least it would have shown he cared and felt bad about causing an accident. I definitely said "WTF" to myself during that scene too. It wasn't funny, and it showed that Peter is kind of a *****ey idiot.

Also, his dialogue with Gwen: The whole "don't touch your nose!" and "laugh uglier!" thing made me roll my eyes really hard. You know what it reminded me of? (500) Days of Summer, like the bedroom/kitchen shopping scenes. You know what happened in (500) Days of Summer? That cutesy crap's novelty wore off and the couple broke up. The director repeats this stuff in the TASM movies, and suddenly it's true love? Kay ... :dry: The dialogue was at least interesting in (500) Days of Summer though. This movie felt like Attack of the Clones, for goodness sake.

And Peter's big scene with Aunt May ... Sally Field hit it out of the park and I wanted to give her a standing ovation for chewing Peter out like that. The scene is ruined by Garfield's really awkward acting here, in my opinion (and it was also ruined by the writing). He was just "off" compared to Sally Field, and that's the best way I can describe it. His response to her was more awkward than genuine.

Also, this Peter don't give a rat's butt about Uncle Ben ... Which is pretty much one of the biggest sins you can make against the character of Spider-Man altogether.

Now, with all of that said, I still think Garfield was absolutely wonderful whenever he was in the Spider-Man costume. Like I said, I think he's much more comfortable as Spidey than he is as Peter.

Most of your criticisms seem to boil down to the following: He's awkward. Which is exactly what Peter Parker is. A socially awkward but average guy.

I won't give too much of my personal life away, but I've been that same type of awkard in the past. Even when it comes to the "don't touch your nose" part, I've had conversations very similar to that with my girlfriends. It felt very natural for me, even scared me a bit due to how similar that scene was from some of the stuff I said in the past. I'm beginning to think a lot of people's criticisms stem from not experiencing what it's like to be socially awkward. What you just brought up, specifically regarding his dialogue with Gwen, is awkwardness 101.

As for the car accident, first, I don't remember seeing any huge collateral damage on the car. Second, he didn't even notice there was any "crash". His spider sense warns him of any danger. This danger also includes danger to other people, as seen in the first film, which is also how we know no one got hurt. That's why he was able to walk across the street like that. If there would have been any danger, both to him or an innocent bystander, he would have known. And if he would have caused some serious damage, he would have also been warned of angry drivers coming to beat/get him.

Also, how does Peter not care about Uncle Ben? Him and Aunt May talk about him throughout the film.

Most of your criticisms seem to boil down to the following: He's awkward. Which is exactly what Peter Parker is. A socially awkward but average guy.

I won't give too much of my personal life away, but I've been that same type of awkard in the past. Even when it comes to the "don't touch your nose" part, I've had conversations very similar to that with my girlfriends. It felt very natural for me, even scared me a bit due to how similar that scene was from some of the stuff I said in the past. I'm beginning to think a lot of people's criticisms stem from not experiencing what it's like to be socially awkward. What you just brought up, specifically regarding his dialogue with Gwen, is awkwardness 101.

As for the car accident, first, I don't remember seeing any huge collateral damage on the car. Second, he didn't even notice there was any "crash". His spider sense warns him of any danger. This danger also includes danger to other people, as seen in the first film, which is also how we know no one got hurt. That's why he was able to walk across the street like that. If there would have been any danger, both to him or an innocent bystander, he would have known. And if he would have caused some serious damage, he would have also been warned of angry drivers coming to beat/get him.

Also, how does Peter not care about Uncle Ben? Him and Aunt May talk about him throughout the film.

I guess I can't relate to Garfield's brand of awkwardness, because when I was a teenager, I was definitely more like the Maguire version of Peter Parker; really shy, soft-spoken, bullied, low confidence, etc. Garfield's awkwardness comes across as "attention-starved" to me (not accusing you of being that way, by the way- Hope I'm not coming across as if I am saying that!), whereas I've always felt that Peter Parker himself was too meek to want attention like that. That's why I've always loved how he becomes the confident, witty, and sassy Spidey when he puts the mask on. One of the lines I actually loved from the first TASM was "Put the mask on, it will make you stronger." That's how I've always felt about Peter's feelings towards the costume and the persona. That's why I think these new movies have missed the mark on Peter Parker, personally. I think the TASM movies have come into their own when dealing with Spider-Man's persona, though. I think these movies "get" Spidey's personality. I don't think that's the case with Peter Parker, though (in my personal opinon).

Also, I just find Garfield unpleasant to watch in these movies as Peter; not because of some "social awkwardness," but because I think he sucks the life out of many scenes for me. Most of the other actors/characters don't do that; but Garfield's Peter does (for me, at least). It makes the movies really unpleasant for me to watch. I don't think that's social awkwardness; I think it's a style of acting that's simply not in tune with the other actors (and I think Peter's scene with Aunt May in TASM2 demonstrates that, as the scene was totally working for me until Peter spoke; maybe that's just the screenplay/script ruining those scenes for me? I don't know).

As for the car accident scene, it was incredibly stupid and thoughtless for Peter to walk in the middle of the street like that. The scene came across as a really hokey attempt to show that Peter is so "in love" with Gwen, that the sight of her makes him all goo-goo. I don't think it was because Peter was confident in walking because of his spider senses. If that's the case, then he really is a *****e, because other people don't have spider senses. Also, being the cause of a minor accident instead of a big, serious accident is okay? Ehhh, no. Peter's kind of a jerk if he's okay with causing minor and inconvenient accidents to people who can't anticipate when he's going to walk into traffic.

And Peter doesn't care about Uncle Ben in these movies. Aunt May seemed to be the only one to ever mention him, and Peter was only focused on his parents and Captain Stacy. I never got the vibe that Peter really cared about Uncle Ben being gone in this movie. If the movie was trying to convey it, I think it failed miserably.

Last edited:
I guess I can't relate to Garfield's brand of awkwardness, because when I was a teenager, I was definitely more like the Maguire version of Peter Parker; really shy, soft-spoken, bullied, low confidence, etc. Garfield's awkwardness comes across as "attention-starved" to me (not accusing you of being that way, by the way- Hope I'm not coming across as if I am saying that!), whereas I've always felt that Peter Parker himself was too meek to want attention like that. That's why I've always loved how he becomes the confident, witty, and sassy Spidey when he puts the mask on. One of the lines I actually loved from the first TASM was "Put the mask on, it will make you stronger." That's how I've always felt about Peter's feelings towards the costume and the persona. That's why I think these new movies have missed the mark on Peter Parker, personally. I think the TASM movies have come into their own when dealing with Spider-Man's persona, though. I think these movies "get" Spidey's personality. I don't think that's the case with Peter Parker, though (in my personal opinon).

Also, I just find Garfield unpleasant to watch in these movies as Peter; not because of some "social awkwardness," but because I think he sucks the life out of many scenes for me. Most of the other actors/characters don't do that; but Garfield's Peter does (for me, at least). It makes the movies really unpleasant for me to watch. I don't think that's social awkwardness; I think it's a style of acting that's simply not in tune with the other actors (and I think Peter's scene with Aunt May in TASM2 demonstrates that, as the scene was totally working for me until Peter spoke; maybe that's just the screenplay/script ruining those scenes for me? I don't know).

As for the car accident scene, it was incredibly stupid and thoughtless for Peter to walk in the middle of the street like that. The scene came across as a really hokey attempt to show that Peter is so "in love" with Gwen, that the sight of her makes him all goo-goo. I don't think it was because Peter was confident in walking because of his spider senses. If that's the case, then he really is a *****e, because other people don't have spider senses. Also, being the cause of a minor accident instead of a big, serious accident is okay? Ehhh, no. Peter's kind of a jerk if he's okay with causing minor and inconvenient accidents to people who can't anticipate when he's going to walk into traffic.

And Peter doesn't care about Uncle Ben in these movies. Aunt May seemed to be the only one to ever mention him, and Peter was only focused on his parents and Captain Stacy. I never got the vibe that Peter really cared about Uncle Ben being gone in this movie. If the movie was trying to convey it, I think it failed miserably.

The traits you listed though are universal when it comes to social outcasts/awkwards. Things like shy, bullied, low confidence, etc. are shared by both the Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield types, which we even saw those traits in this Peter in the first film. At this point though (post-high school), he's grown a bit past that, which was true about comic book Peter too. He often talked back to Flash, even challenging him to a boxing match in front of the whole school back in one of the early Lee/Ditko early issues.

To a certain extent though (just in general), Peter always did have a bit of that snarkiness to him even when out of costume, though that aspect at that point in his life was only explored in-depth later on. Basically, it was a coping mechanism to hide fear/anger/sadness with humor. I used to do the same when I was a kid. It wasn't as "out there" as Spider-Man's wisecracks though, more like shrugging things off. It's not so much that Peter is a mute while being Peter then a wisecracker as Spider-Man. It's more like Peter is about as witty as the average socially awkward dude (who has a few lines here or there) and then Spider-Man is that fully unleashed. It's his inner troll being let out :oldrazz:. Plus, we only see him like that with characters like Gwen and Aunt May, and it makes sense he's a bit more comfortable around them, but he still does/says "off" things due to that awkwardness.

I know you're not accusing me of being that, so no worries. Funny thing, I actually got that sometimes as a kid. "You're not funny, stop acting that way." Some even said I sounded weird/awkward. Heck, remember those facial/hand ticks he had in the first film? I used to have those too. Others told me I always looked uncomfortable in my body, which is also true about this Peter (i.e. the scene where he tells Harry about Spider-Man's sensitivity from the spider-sense, which is true about some spiders in real life). To make this clear though, I wasn't a freak or anything. I still dressed good, looked decent, had friends and was well liked at school/job interviews, but I still had that "not in tune" aspect you would notice if you got to know me. Which stems from the bullying/outcast from my early childhood. Much like Peter Parker and particularly this version.

Regarding the street scene, it was a bit of both. Yes, Peter did have the "wow" love feeling for Gwen, and his spider sense - the lack of danger, that is - made him cross the road like that. It wasn't him being all like "Hey look how cool I am for crossing the road like that cuz I have spider sense." I also brought up how Peter's spider sense warns him of danger to him and innocent bystanders. We see this in both movies. If there was any car damage or anyone got hurt, he would have known about it before it happens due to the spider sense, and would have taken action.

Also, why am I analyzing so much the question of "Why did Peter Parker cross the road?" What am I doing with my life? :csad:

As for Uncle Ben, May and Peter talk about him several times. About how they wish Ben could have been there at Peter's graduation, how Peter is trying to help May with the bills ever since Ben's been gone via the DB, May's whole speech at the end about moving on, had a picture of Ben's killer on the wall he made where the "Am I gonna lose you too" note was attached, etc. Could the film have benefitted from more Ben? Absolutely - there is always room for more Uncle Ben in Spider-Man stories. But given everything that was happening in the film, I didn't mind it not being as much in the front. I already know the origin and got to know Peter as a character in the previous film. I didn't mind it for the same reason I didn't mind the Waynes never being brought up in TDK. A lot of people criticized TDK for that as well. That's understandable, but it isn't a big deal for me.

I'm really gonna miss Andrew as Peter when that happens. I hope we have at least two more movies with him.

I really felt the centralized, overall Peter Parker with him in this one. From his hurt to his care. And I don't need to mention his Spidey.

This was such a centralized Peter Parker story that it's crazy. I never felt as inside Peter Parker's head as I did in this.

This was such a centralized Peter Parker story that it's crazy. I never felt as inside Peter Parker's head as I did in this.
True. I think the music helped, and feeling his hurt too. Like all the stuff in his room really made you feel not only for him, but as him.

I actually don't think these films portray Peter Parker well/accurately at all. He's certainly not intelligent enough. TASM definitely did a better job in his portrayal than TASM2, though.

True. I think the music helped, and feeling his hurt too. Like all the stuff in his room really made you feel not only for him, but as him.

I completely agree. Especially that scene where he's creating that wall with this music playing in the background:

[YT]RxCxNXqiI08[/YT]

Such an emotional but grounded and human moment. I don't know what it is about Peter Parker that grants him those moments. It's not like he's the only everyman in all of comics. Clark Kent is also very relatable. Barry Allen is very relatable. But for some reason, I feel like Peter Parker has that perfected in a way no other everyman superhero does. That scene could have easily been in any coming of age story.

I actually don't think these films portray Peter Parker well/accurately at all. He's certainly not intelligent enough. TASM definitely did a better job in his portrayal than TASM2, though.

Really? I thought he was doing a lot more sciency things this time around. The whole thing with Electro, the batteries, etc. He even seems to have his own webs this time. I know a lot of people were complaining he bought the webs from Oscorp in the first film.

Well I don't think a movie can spend 20 minutes on showcasing his intelligence. Sure, his intelligence isn't top notch, but I love the montage of trying to ground his web shooters. The fact that he's always trying to tweak it. And yeah he was watching a YouTube video but I think it's because Marc was trying to ground it a bit and not have him be a real-life genius. I feel this Peter is smart, a book worm, but not Mark Zuckerberg. I mean he crafted his own web shooters using electronic components.

Such an emotional but grounded and human moment. I don't know what it is about Peter Parker that grants him those moments. It's not like he's the only everyman in all of comics. Clark Kent is also very relatable. Barry Allen is very relatable. But for some reason, I feel like Peter Parker has that perfected in a way no other everyman superhero does. That scene could have easily been in any coming of age story.

I also think that Spider-Man, the Flash, and arguably Superman/Clark are the most relatable superheroes in mainstream comics. I think its the lower power level, the youth, and the typical Parker luck that makes Spider-Man that much more relatable too.

I will also say that after ASM2, Andrew Garfield is the Spider-Man I always wanted, but Tobey Maguire just plays a more lovable down on his luck Peter Parker.

The movie needn't spend "20 minutes" showcasing his intelligence to put it across. I just really didn't get the really smart kid/genius vibe from Garfield. I think they did a better job portraying him in the first film in terms of being smart and an outsider and all that. The point is that he is supposed to be a genius - just one with a ****ton of responsibilities who's also a superhero.

And I wouldn't say that TASM2 did a good job with it at all. Gwen provided him the solution to the whole thing with Electro. Also, why is Gwen valedictorian? There's nothing wrong with her being smart, too, but I certainly didn't get valedictorian from Emma Stone's portrayal. I could never buy Emma Stone as someone that smart just based on her acting.

I completely agree. Especially that scene where he's creating that wall with this music playing in the background:

[YT]RxCxNXqiI08[/YT]

Really? I thought he was doing a lot more sciency things this time around. The whole thing with Electro, the batteries, etc. He even seems to have his own webs this time. I know a lot of people were complaining he bought the webs from Oscorp in the first film.
Agreed with all of this. I think it's because Peter has those three things we all relate to : Trouble with girls, trouble with money, and trouble at home.

Also, I think you meant this song playing in the bg during that scene :
[YT]GV2yMnzWkkc[/YT]
I thought it was a weird song choice at first, but at the second viewing I fell in love with it. So perfect, I bought the song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"