Anna Borden and Ryan Fleck are the Directors

Ha yeah but marvel and Disney love synergy!

It’s funny we haven’t seen them appear yet. I’m dying to hear their thoughts on this. I would have thought they would get invited to the infinity war premiere but I guess that was full enough as it is

Probably see/hear more from them now that IW's been and gone, I'd imagine.

I have the idea of Ronan getting bossed around by a woman that looks like she’s a hello kitty fan. I reckon Anna and Kelly sue deconnick would be mates

Loving what we're seeing from these two so far. Getting a really, really good feel from it, haven't been this psyched for an MCU flick since 2011.

Haven’t heard any positive things about their direction. I think they don’t get asked back.

Haven’t heard any positive things about their direction. I think they don’t get asked back.

After hearing what some were saying about it review wise and such, I don't think so either. I loved the movie, so I'd be fine if they do come back, but I could see Feige and others going in a different direction

I'd be happy with them coming back, personally, as I felt they really excelled at the emotional content and all the more head-trippy stuff, and I thought the action in the 3rd act was well-done. The "iffy" action beats were mostly the more practical bits in the first half, imo, which Carol should have less of in the future. And plus, this was their first time EVER directing something like that. Much like Ryan Coogler, there's room for improvement on that front, but I don't think it's a lost cause. So I'd be happy to have them back, but I won't be crushed if they don't return, and if they don't, I will think of them like the Joe Johnstons of this franchise - provided a solid foundation for their successor to build from.

I would be fine either way Marvel goes with them. Really depends on where Russos take Danvers, if they make her way better and a standout characters I am not sure these two can go farther with the character.

I don't think they put an auteur stamp on this movie like the Russos, Coogler, Gunn, Taika, etc. all did. The film had great heart and the cast wonderful chemistry, though. I'd be fine with them coming back, but if they were replaced for the sequel, also would be fine.

Doesn't sound like there was anything distinctive with what they did. Even the smaller characters moments, which I guess is what they should excel in, don't seem to have anything unique about them.

They are bringing back Scott Derrickson for DS2 and Jon Watts for Spider-man, so I guess there's the possibility they could return.

Doesn't sound like there was anything distinctive with what they did. Even the smaller characters moments, which I guess is what they should excel in, don't seem to have anything unique about them.

They are bringing back Scott Derrickson for DS2 and Jon Watts for Spider-man, so I guess there's the possibility they could return.

I would say if this movie makes the BO we expect, they likely will return. Which again, I am cool with if they do.

I would say if this movie makes the BO we expect, they likely will return. Which again, I am cool with if they do.

Yeah - if Derrickson is coming back, then I wouldn't be surprised if they do too. It was their first time doing anything like this and there's enough there that worked that I would be happy with them returning

Doctor Strange wasn't a great movie but it did a much better job at establishing the main character and his world than Captain Marvel. If Boden & Fleck come back for the sequel I will be very disappointed.

Honestly I feel the same about Jon Watts, but unfortunately it's too late to get rid of him.

Derrickson and Watts were fine. They got the job done, and I guess in a system like Marvel's, that may be enough.

I imagine they'll come back unless they don't want to. Watts, Reed, and Derrickson all came back and I think each team did a comparable job with their respective heroes. I wouldn't mind if they came back, but I also wouldn't mind if someone else was brought on as well.

My only worry there would be that for every Russo Brothers and Waititi upgrade you could also get, at worst, an Alan Taylor or an in the middle Shane Black.

Last edited:
I do think that if they do come back, they probably won't really have as much of a say on the script. That seems to be a lot of people's problems with it.

Doctor Strange wasn't a great movie but it did a much better job at establishing the main character and his world than Captain Marvel. If Boden & Fleck come back for the sequel I will be very disappointed.

Honestly I feel the same about Jon Watts, but unfortunately it's too late to get rid of him.

I was kind of hoping they'd get someone else instead of Watts as well, but he'll be around for the Spider-Man trilogy. Maybe if they do end up making a 4th film, they'll get someone else in there.

Derrickson and Watts were fine. They got the job done, and I guess in a system like Marvel's, that may be enough.

I like Doctor Strange more than most, but I would have been fine if Derrickson didn't come back. I think he has a good idea where he wants to take the sequel though and after Infinity War, I'm really looking forward to Doctor Strange 2

Last edited:
I think with a better and more daring script, Derrickson could direct a pretty great Doctor Strange movie.

He's earned the benefit of the doubt much more than Boden & Fleck have, imo. As far as I'm concerned, their first movie was more than enough to prove that they don't have what it takes to handle this character.

Last edited:
I think with a better and more daring script, Derrickson could direct a pretty great Doctor Strange movie. He's earned the benefit of the doubt much more than Boden & Fleck did, imo.

Boden & Fleck... their first movie was more than enough to prove that they don't have what it takes to handle this character.

I actually think they did a good job considering they have been indie directors their whole working careers. I hope they do come back, but let them be sole writers and more importantly give them creative freedom so they can take a few risks.

I thought their direction was decent overall, but definitely lacking in places, especially in terms of the script and some of the writing. There is room for improvement, but depending on what the Russo's do with Carol next I wonder if they can actually even handle it.

It also took ages to get there. I'm not going to lie, I was close to dozing off a couple times during the first 40 minutes or so. This film also had a slow beginning but I was never close to falling asleep (and that's with only about 5 hours of sleep the previous night!).

Based on some of the issues with the story and directing that some people are having, it sounds like there may have been too many cooks in the kitchen. Many thought SM: HC would have that issue with how many writers that film had but it turned out okay. If Boden/Fleck return for any sequel, I think Marvel needs to let them write it by themselves or at least have one other writer alongside them. I know some reviews complained about the muddled action and look of the film so they may need to hire a different 2nd unit director and/or cinematographer, even though the ones on CM had worked previously on multiple other MCU films.

I'd rather they didn't come back. The sequel is going to need a serious improvement, especially in the writing and directing department. While the movie was serviceable and was enjoyable enough, I'm disappointed that many of it's problems lies with some of their choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"