Anna Borden and Ryan Fleck are the Directors

Great news that things are falling into place. I have never seen Mississippi Grind. Anyone have an opinion on it?

Never heard of them but that is the case for most Marvel directors. It is either we never heard of them or they are considered below average to average. Marvel has yet to make a bad movie so I trust them.

No director is going to get full control when you're dealing with a movie that costs 150 to 200 million. And that's fine with me I think it's unrealistic to expect these directors to have full control.
Also when a movie is in a universe, it is impossible to have full control. The directors are not going to make every single movie in the universe. I believe Marvel knows specific things they want in each movie and character. the directors get to add a bit but not go overboard trying to change anything.

This is both surprising and not surprising if that makes sense. Either way, I approve. Half Nelson is spectacular. :up:

This fits exactly how it was with James Gunn and Taika Watiti. My immediate reaction was "never heard of them," but I would come here and see someone who saw one of their films and said it was great. I think Marvel has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to directing choices.

I bet I could give a general list of who a lot of Cinephiles consider the best directors in the world and people wouldn't know who they were...Being known is nice, but ultimately it means nothing in terms of talent. People who make (or have made) certain kinds of films will get more recognition then others. Genre films in particular. We'll see how this works out in the end, but I'm certainly optimistic based on the quality films they've made, which are so different then this. That kind of makes it more exciting to me even though it's more of an unknown.

I confess they've come a long way from having Kenneth Branagh and even Jon Favreau. Right now the guys they bring on board are more like, I guess your average joe director as opposed to big names or fanboy favorites.

Why do I get the feeling they were hired in case the rumored writer's strike hits?

I confess they've come a long way from having Kenneth Branagh and even Jon Favreau. Right now the guys they bring on board are more like, I guess your average joe director as opposed to big names or fanboy favorites.

That phase was pretty brief (Derrickson & Reed). Gunn and Russos are also technically fanboy fav's among their respective niches.
Waititi, Coogler, and now these two aren't big names,
but they've built more inspired resumes.

Why do I get the feeling they were hired in case the rumored writer's strike hits?

Boden & Fleck would have to work quickly to polish the script before the 2017 WGA strike happens (a certainty unless the WGA reaches a new last-minute deal with the studios), but Captain Marvel doesn't start filming until February 2018.

Variety's announcement regarding Boden & Fleck emphasizes that Feige wanted a solid script before hiring anyone (so they can still film CM on schedule if the strike lasts longer than expected). It wasn't like LaFavre & Perlman were still outlining the script, they've probably done several rewrites.

I don't know and care about these directors, I just want to see the film already!

Marvel studios are hiring based on talent not solely on their names.

The reason these directors are unknown to the masses is because these are directors of mostly indie underground projects and they have earned their roles.

Big name directors aren't everything. Darren Aronofsky is a good director but his adaptation of Batman: Year One sounded awful to me. JJ Abrams Superman film and Spielberg's Harry Potter also were not that good. Spielberg even came out and said in hindsight his approach to the material wasn't as good as what we eventually got.

What matters most is directors who have a great understanding and vision for the characters and their world. A director that is creative and can execute a good movie.

Boden & Fleck would have to work quickly to polish the script before the 2017 WGA strike happens (a certainty unless the WGA reaches a new last-minute deal with the studios), but Captain Marvel doesn't start filming until February 2018.

I hadn't thought much about the strike, but I think Marvel is in a surprisingly strong position. It looks like they've got fairly final scripts for most of their Phase Three movies done. The only possible exception is Ant-Man and the Wasp and that benefits from having someone like Paul Rudd, who is a strong improvisational actor, in the movie (he also helped write the first film, so he's familiar with how the story needs to go).

Feige on why they chose them as directors

"We met with lots and lots of people as we always do, and had multiple meetings, and Anna and Ryan just had an amazing way of talking about Carol Danvers and talking about her journey," Feige said. "We want filmmakers that can help us focus on and elevate the character journey so it doesn't get lost amongst the spectacle. And there's going to be a lot of spectacle in the Captain Marvel film."

Feige continued, "We're pretty good at that at Marvel Studios, and have an amazing team that can help with that. But when we're filling a director chair or chairs, we want people who are focused on the emotional journey, the humor, the surprising twists and turns of a singular character journey, which is what Captain Marvel is. They had the best handle on it. And when you look at the work that Ryan and Anna have done in the past, they are all amazing and very diverse character studies and journeys, and that impressed us."

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news...7611_725X175Xdc7139aff23cd0227c8531d96ec86e4f

I've never heard of them but Marvel has proven themselves in regards to hiring directors so I'm sure they'll do a good job.

Interview from a couple years ago.

[YT]ullVUWO3BRw[/YT]

More from Feige
They came in many, many times and impressed us in the room with what they had to say about Carol Danvers. […] They live in New York and they would fly out at a moment’s notice to come in and pitch on it, which always means a lot. Anna and Ryan had a strong sense of, not just the plotting and the machinations of the plot, but on Carol’s journey, which is the most important thing about the movie. We can help out with all the accoutrements of action and sci-fi worlds, but we wanted someone who could really be a guiding hand to Carol and to Brie [Larson] and to that journey, which is what the whole movie is about: someone becoming the most powerful being in the universe. You look at their work and like most of the directors we’ve hired, [they’re] not giant, effects-drive action, but rather very unique and very personal character stories and character journeys. And very diverse, in terms of the subject matter they’ve chosen to tell and they nail it every time. I think they see Carol as another rich, three-dimensional character to explore, who just happens to be able to fly and punch through moons and to lead intergalactic teams.

http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-feige-on-captain-marvel-directors/

"..and to lead intergalactic teams"

A hint at Carol's future in the MCU? Alpha Flight or Ultimates, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"