Arnold Schwarzenegger in Last Stand by Jee-woon Kim (Bittersweet Life)?!

I know that Conan remake from 2011 bombed but isn't that guy who played him a more likely candidate for any future possible sequels?

Or they could go with another muscle bound mook, but they won't go with Arnold, he's past his prime.

They already confirmed Arnold for the next installment.

Hmm. I think Arnold in his prime, (Predator), (The Terminator), (Terminator 2), (Total Recall) etc is probably my favourite action man. But it’s very hard to replicate moments in time - and carve out new memorable moments when the past is so strong. Like how Jim Carrey had a good run of films and was a big name in comedy, again, probably my favourite comedy star (the two Ace Venturas), (Dumb and Dumber), (The Mask) etc but that peak has since passed.

even thought the Last Stand bombed, i still think Conan and Terminator 5 will do well with Arnold. these are pretty well known franchises that were made popular with Arnold, and with him starring in new installments there is a high possibility that these films will do well. additionally, i hope Fox considers to make a new Predators sequel with Arnold attached to star.

Hmm. I think Arnold in his prime, (Predator), (The Terminator), (Terminator 2), (Total Recall) etc is probably my favourite action man. But it’s very hard to replicate moments in time - and carve out new memorable moments when the past is so strong. Like how Jim Carrey had a good run of films and was a big name in comedy, again, probably my favourite comedy star (the two Ace Venturas), (Dumb and Dumber), (The Mask) etc but that peak has since passed.
And speaking of actors past their peak, I know Vin Diesel has done well with the Fast & Furious films but none of his other movies have done as good as to build a franchise and Vin's voice sounds more robotic as Stallone's.

Jason Statham has a good thing going with the Transporter films but I've tried watching his other films and they're all just repetitive of the same formula (man seeks revenge against those that murdered his family)

I dont think Vin Diesel was ever on the same level as Statham, let alone Stallone and Arnold.

even thought the Last Stand bombed, i still think Conan and Terminator 5 will do well with Arnold. these are pretty well known franchises that were made popular with Arnold, and with him starring in new installments there is a high possibility that these films will do well. additionally, i hope Fox considers to make a new Predators sequel with Arnold attached to star.

Pretty much this :up:

Terminator 3 with Scwharzenegger only did $150 million. Granted it did $433 million worldwide but the budget likely cost well over $200 million. Terminator 5 isn't going to be cheaper.

Why a Predators sequel starring Arnold? Just makes no sense IMHO. I think Arnold's time as an action star is over. It was fun to see him in Expendables because Expendables is just having fun with these guys and sort of sends up their personas and the roles they used to play.

No one is going to see a R-rated Conan movie starring Arnold

Yeah you've been playing this same tune for ages now. No one gives a **** what you think.

imo tls wasn't a role fans want to see arnold in

playing some old campy sheriff who comments on his oldness does'nt scream bad ass in the slightest

atleast stallone is playing some bad ass hitman trying to get his daughter back in bullet to the head

imo tls wasn't a role fans want to see arnold in

playing some old campy sheriff who comments on his oldness does'nt scream bad ass in the slightest

atleast stallone is playing some bad ass hitman trying to get his daughter back in bullet to the head

For me, it's the complete opposite: I find it way less ridiculous to watch a movie where Arnie doesn't hide his age, but rather embraces it and keeps being bad ass. It's kinda like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino where he's even more BA since he's old and past his prime.

Whereas with Stallone, I think it's a complete joke that he seems to keep playing younger type roles despite being a billion years old. Yeah, he's in insane shape, but he's still not an 80's action star in his prime anymore.

IMO that's just part of the reason Expendables works so well as a franchise: because it doesn't try to hide that these guys are relics of the past, it embraces that fact and has fun with it. That's actually partly why I've always found Stallone kind of out of place in Expendables, because he seems to take himself so damn seriously.

Or maybe I just hate Stallone. Could be that. :o

stallone is'nt playing some young dude he is an aging assassin with a grown up 20 something daughter

this movie just looks dated and boring i would gladly watch stallone new film hell he is having a hand to hand axe fight with jason momoa!!!

I dont think Vin Diesel was ever on the same level as Statham, let alone Stallone and Arnold.

Quality wise, he isn't. But box office wise Diesel is up there.

In terms of Sly and Arnold, even though I love them equally, Arnold has a plethora of legitimate classic movies. T1, T2, Totall Recall, Predator, Conan the Barbarian and True Lies are considered genuinely great movies. Sly only has Rocky, First Blood and Cop Land, otherwise his stuff is just really strong.

On paper The Last Stand would look like a potential classic. A world renown director making his first Hollywood film, Forrest Whitaker (Really, why the hell the marketing didn't put his name in the trailer, but they did for Johnny Knoxville I'll never know) and a popular blacklist script that Liam Neeson was attached to. There was no way of knowing it would backfire.

Yeah you've been playing this same tune for ages now. No one gives a **** what you think.

This x 100.

Last edited:
i think JCVD had more world wide appeal due to his martial arts fighting style and his Belgian good looks and charisma:o

Quality wise, he isn't. But box office wise Diesel is up there.

In terms of Sly and Arnold, even though I love them equally, Arnold has a plethora of legitimate classic movies. T1, T2, Total Recall, Predator, Conan the Barbarian and True Lies are considered genuinely great movies. Sly only has Rocky, First Blood and Cop Land, otherwise his stuff is just really strong.

On paper The Last Stand would look like a potential classic. A world renown director making his first Hollywood film, Forrest Whitaker (Really, why the hell the marketing didn't put his name in the trailer, but they did for Johnny Knoxville I'll never know) and a popular blacklist script that Liam Neeson was attached to. There was no way of knowing it would backfire.

This x 100.
People don't go to action movies to see Forest Whitaker.

Ultimately what defines a movie as genuinely great is a matter of opinion. Also unlike Schwarzenegger, Stallone was nominated for an Academy Award twice. If you are trying to quantify who has the more truly "great" movies again it's all a matter of opinion. If you were to boil it down to pure box office, it's probably Schwarzenegger as the bigger star.

Last edited:
i think JCVD had more world wide appeal due to his martial arts fighting style and his Belgian good looks and charisma:o
I never saw the appeal in Van-Damme, he acts the same in all his movies in fact I can say that the only movie I've liked was Sudden Death because it was like Die Hard on hockey.

I watched this movie today. It wasn't great but it was very decent. The characters were good and the dialogue wasn't 80's bad one-liners. It's one of those grass roots action films that make you root for the small town guys.

Hopefully I'll be seeing this tomorrow.

how can you be human and not love blood sport
Oh yeah the film that introduced Van Damme to the world how could I forget.

It's so corny at the end fight when JCVD gets blinded by the dust from his rival that he's going into flashback mode that it's odd the bad guy doesn't just kick him right there. :woot:

And let's not forget Kickboxer, with Tong Po and some sweet JCVD dance moves.

:woot:

t_vandammedance_976.gif

I think people like us hope this is the case... but unfortunately I think the new GA just doesn't go stuff like this anymore. It's like they're just sitting around waiting for the next big pop-book adaptation to hit the screen.

Arnie's best case scenario is to go back to stuff that made him a star in the first place and then if some amazing story/script came along that was right for him dive into a new role. Last Stand I think was a bad comeback vehicle for him.

I think this image about sums up old action stars.

arnold-stallone-hospital.1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"