Arnold Schwarzenegger in Last Stand by Jee-woon Kim (Bittersweet Life)?!

I just came from the movie and I don't care what anyone says I highly enjoyed this movie. Very entertaining, likeable characters, and surprisingly violent. The only thing was...it was really painful to look at Arnold at times. The guy has gotten soo old and its really showing. He is not the same force of nature he once was. :(

Saw this today and I really enjoyed it, Arnold was back to the best he could be considering his age. I'm glad they played on that as it made for everything being more believable despite despite some outrageous things happening. Arnold was the best thing in the movie, throwing out one liners and bringing his usual warmth and charm.

It seemed like a long wait sometimes but the action when it came was good, no CGI or non that was noticable anyway, old school effects which I loved. The supporting cast were good as well, with Jaime Alexander and Genesis Rodriguez providing the eye candy.

In the end it was an enjoyably old school action romp the likes of which they rarely make anymore, and its better than the likes of Collateral Damage, 6th Day and End Of Days, bring more on and welcome back Arnold, you have been missed, 7.5/10.

I actually got around to seeing The Last Stand last weekend and it was MUCH better than I expected. It wasn't a perfect action films by any means but for a smaller short action/cop/chase flick it was pretty good. A lot of fun. Arnold looked older (obviously) and he was a bit rusty in the acting department but once things got going he finally seemed to ease into his role. The supporting cast was solid. Knoxville actually didn't annoy me like I feared he would. Jamie Alexander can act AND is hot.

Like I said it was nothing deep and was pretty absurd at points but a lot of fun. It really didn't deserve to totally bomb the way it did. This movie was everything it represented itself as: a good time.

Here's hoping Bullet To The Head is at least as good and does much better at the box office if it is. Between The Last Stand, BTTH, and A Good Day To Die Hard I was looking forward to having the holy trinity of 80s and early 90's action entertain me.

Bullet to the Head is doing even worse than The Last Stand... an estimated $1.75M on Friday... won't even break $6M by tomorrow thanks to the Super Bowl.

I think people are getting weary of Stallone and Schwarzenegger by now. Let's face it, those guys weren't at their peak like they were three decades ago. And their solo outings today just aren't appealing to moviegoers now.

Saw this today and I really enjoyed it, Arnold was back to the best he could be considering his age. I'm glad they played on that as it made for everything being more believable despite despite some outrageous things happening. Arnold was the best thing in the movie, throwing out one liners and bringing his usual warmth and charm.

It seemed like a long wait sometimes but the action when it came was good, no CGI or non that was noticable anyway, old school effects which I loved. The supporting cast were good as well, with Jaime Alexander and Genesis Rodriguez providing the eye candy.

In the end it was an enjoyably old school action romp the likes of which they rarely make anymore, and its better than the likes of Collateral Damage, 6th Day and End Of Days, bring more on and welcome back Arnold, you have been missed, 7.5/10.
I pretty much agree with this. I mean the only real difference of opinion I have is I would give it a 8/10.

I actually got around to seeing The Last Stand last weekend and it was MUCH better than I expected. It wasn't a perfect action films by any means but for a smaller short action/cop/chase flick it was pretty good. A lot of fun. Arnold looked older (obviously) and he was a bit rusty in the acting department but once things got going he finally seemed to ease into his role. The supporting cast was solid. Knoxville actually didn't annoy me like I feared he would. Jamie Alexander can act AND is hot.

Like I said it was nothing deep and was pretty absurd at points but a lot of fun. It really didn't deserve to totally bomb the way it did. This movie was everything it represented itself as: a good time.

Here's hoping Bullet To The Head is at least as good and does much better at the box office if it is. Between The Last Stand, BTTH, and A Good Day To Die Hard I was looking forward to having the holy trinity of 80s and early 90's action entertain me.

I couldn't agree more. I also think Bullet To The Head was really good also and I would also give it an 8/10 and it's a shame that it doesn't seem like it's gonna to do any good either at the box office.

I saw this at a matinee the last week and it was meh (there were only 6 people in the entire theater, that includes myself). I mean there are some decent action scenes here and there but its time for Arnold to call the quits. His acting is pretty bad and his age REALLY shows in this movie. Arnold and Sly need to stick to the expendables movies and be done. These guys glory days are over and they can no longer get the box office draw in solo movies anymore.

5.5 out 10

If you think of it about also when was the last time we had a prime arnie movie? True Lies?and that was almost twenty-years ago now.

I always thought that his governorship was sort of his bail-out move to not admit the fact his career was already in about 10 years of decline.

i think Arnie's last prime movie was Eraser

because after that it was all downhill, except for Jingle All Ze Way

Both guys took risks with the directors they worked with. Gotta respect that.

The way it is, action movies need a hook. They can't rely on star power alone. I think The Tomb will do better than TLS and BTTH solely because it's got the supermax gimmick.

Bullet to the Head is doing even worse than The Last Stand... an estimated $1.75M on Friday... won't even break $6M by tomorrow thanks to the Super Bowl.

I think people are getting weary of Stallone and Schwarzenegger by now. Let's face it, those guys weren't at their peak like they were three decades ago. And their solo outings today just aren't appealing to moviegoers now.
I wonder what the studio is gonna do with their joint movie "The Tomb" They def. wont give it a fair go after "The Last Stand" and "Bullet to the Head" bombed so spectacularly

I think with both of them being in The Tomb that should give it a bit of boost, cant see it bombing like TLS and BTTH have. It his shocking how badly these movies have done, havent seen the latter but there are a lot worse movies than TLS out there.

Ic7dvLA.jpg

Missed it at the cinema but ordered the Blu Ray the other day.

'The Last Stand' Debuts at No. 1 on Home Entertainment Charts
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/last-stand-debuts-at-no-560050
It’s a slow time for home video, with studios saving up their big releases for summer and consumer eyeballs glued to the big screen as the parade of summer tentpoles begins marching into theaters.
our editor recommends

The top spot on the national home video sales charts the week ending May 26 went to Lionsgate’s The Last Stand, an actioner starring Arnold Schwarzenegger with a perhaps prophetic name for the former California governor: His comeback film only earned a little more than $12 million in theaters, despite a supporting cast that includes such heavyweights as Forest Whitaker, Luis Guzman, Johnny Knoxville (of Jackass fame) and legendary character actor Harry Dean Stanton.

The film’s low box office earnings, coupled with its stellar cast, translated into a big hit in video stores, with the film debuting at No. 1 on both the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart, which tracks overall disc sales, and Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart.

^Not surprised it seems to have found its audience in the home market, it was a damn entertaining flick and January is generally a poor month for movies.

It was never a movie that was going to get a sequel so it bombing doesnt really matter, but thank god Arnold is back in movies.

I saw it tonight, Arnie looked as old as dirt in some shots and you could almost hear his body creaking when he moved, but time has not diminished his screen presence.

I think Kim Jee-Woon showcased his star well and shot some dynamic action within the constraints of the narrative which he kept tight, I also personally think his film 'A Bittersweet Life' is a masterpiece, however I'd say his sensibilities are what hurt the film.

I've watched a lot of Asian action cinema over the last 15 years and many directors over there make tonally uneven action films, throwing in the kind of humour that doesn't gel with the other aspects of the movie. Like in TLS, there are attempts at heartfelt moments and seriousness, but they don't fit with the goofy sidekicks, slapstick humour and bloody violence.

Overall I had fun and I think Arnie will bounce back from the poor box office, I just hope that Hollywood give Kim Jee-Woon another shot.

6.5/10

Yeah, it's an Eraser level entry.

Good to see it getting a second life Dredd style.

Got around to watching this movie the other night. I gotta say I loved this film. It made me feel like I was watching another 80's 90's style action film. I love that feeling, I miss this type of action movie. I like how Johnny Knoxville has a bit of added comedic relief but he is not present but for smaller portions of the movie, hes not like forced down our throughts like some of the other movies he has co-starred in.

Very fun film. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Great to see Arnold back in action in his own film.

I thought the trailers made this look like a spoof of the movies Arnold used to make. Same thing with Bullet to the Head. This movie turned out slightly better than that though (Bullet to the Head not so much). 6/10

Just like so many asian directors , they completley neutered Kim Jee Woo :csad:

Yeah there's some amazing setup shots (dat zip lining crane shot ! ) , he's an incredible virtuoso man behind the camera , but there's very little to do here.

Arnold sounded like a D-grade actor (and i'm being sympathetic). Yeah he was never very natural but his incredible charisma and some characters models fitted perfectly for his acting. But here ? Holy crap. He looks like a 70 year old man who never acted on a movie being put on a Live Theater Performance.

Nowadays the action hero genre is sort of a niche market in general.

Got around to watching this movie the other night. I gotta say I loved this film. It made me feel like I was watching another 80's 90's style action film. I love that feeling, I miss this type of action movie. I like how Johnny Knoxville has a bit of added comedic relief but he is not present but for smaller portions of the movie, hes not like forced down our throughts like some of the other movies he has co-starred in.

Very fun film. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Great to see Arnold back in action in his own film.

I couldnt agree more, it was like going to the cinema in the early 90's again, no cgi and everything in camera, and to me, Arnold just seemed like Arnold, but obviously older. I loved it.

Just like so many asian directors , they completley neutered Kim Jee Woo :csad:

Yeah there's some amazing setup shots (dat zip lining crane shot ! ) , he's an incredible virtuoso man behind the camera , but there's very little to do here..

I didn't feel they neutered him too much, it was just that the set up and actors didn't give him the flexibility he'd usually have as the vehicles were involved a lot.

Having finally seen this movie, it isn't that bad. Some of the characters were as dumb as a sack of rocks but overall they weren't all inept morons.

They gave Arnold enough to work with though his fight scene at the end of the movie was a stretch as was most of the story. But then it's Hollywood so believabilty takes a backseat to entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"