• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Ben Reilly on the New Avengers or a team that steams from Civil War

I agree it was a great post. It sucks Marvel doesn't want to use that great potential for good stories.

Unfortunately they have an all or nothin' approach to things. If fans don't like ONE element of somethin', everything gets trashed.

Odin's Lapdog said:
For one thing, personally i dont see ben reilly in the iron spidey suit. He's not a hand me downs kinda person, he has his own look and personality. He could have easily kept wearing the spidey costume when he was scarlet spider or even worn it when parker was out of the picture for a while,

in both cases he didn't and re-invented himself twice. to now say that he would take an old costume of parker's is not like him at all. Money wise and all, reilly has had it worse than pete and has managed to get some things together so it's not even a financial issue.

I see nothing wrong with having ben and parker around still. When they were written and even now, they represent two different things.

Parker is more grounded now, less carefree and has repsonsiblities, it would have been better if he also had responsibilities as a father but so be it.

Ben's responsibilities are far less and he's younger at heart and more care free, his fears and enemies are different because he has different levels of exposure to them since overall he would have been away for around ten years.

plus his relationship to aunt may now that she's back would also be different and seeing whether she would accept him now is something that could be built on.

plus with all the power changes that have happened to spidey, one can assume that clones wouldn't be affected in the same way (kinda like how buffy is THE ONE while faith and the others are just slayers). Seeing how Parker being suped up affects Ben reilly being relatively ordinary and if that big brother relationship comes into affect and if ben has problems being not only a clone, but an outdated one, imagine all the webshooter vs organic jokes they could exploit.

plus any return of ben means the return of Kaine and that can't be a bad thing.

plus the greatest bonus of all, is that they can each help cover the other's secret identity by being around when the other isn't supposed to be there (parker with the altering suit can pull it off easier while ben has to do costume changes, again can add interest).

I mean what's better tha Norman having his own private spider-man to beat up over the last 6 years.

to be fair, of all clones and alternate timelines in all fiction, ben and kaine are the best. there aren't many i feel that are better than the original but in this case, i can say yep, they actually are.

plus ben's got better fashion sense :o

But the new suit can change appearance at will. So ben puts it on and just thinks of his own design. great post by the way:up:

like this colors changed by ragdus:

allaboutdabenjamins.gif

if the spider was black that more or less would be bens costume!!!

ben's older one has more in common with the original one than his later on by far.

although you've covered yourself by saying more or less which is open to interpretation.

RAMORE said:
But the new suit can change appearance at will. So ben puts it on and just thinks of his own design. great post by the way:up:

like this colors changed by ragdus:

allaboutdabenjamins.gif
It's not the design, more the fact of taking something that isn't his.

He doesn't need to take it, it would be against his moral code to take it and wear it.

Ben's a poor poor dude, no need taking him places with a billion dollar suit design, he gets by, that's what he does best.

he wouldn't take it, heck he barely likes getting help from parker full stop.

IN all honesty, do you see him taking it?

Dragon said:
Is this question supposed to be a joke? I said I don't read any Spider-man NOW. But more accurately, I don't BUY Spider-Man. I Byrne-steal to keep up on what's happening.

Well, whether they hated Ben, loved him or what have you- the comics weren't selling when he was in them, thus the reason for the switch back.

And let's be clear. Ben Reilly is not what the comis needed. They needed good writing. Ben Reilly is the same thing as The Other and Sins Past. A cheap parlor trick to substitute for actual creativity. I'm sorry that so many of you started reading comics with Ben Reilly, don't know Spider-Man's history and why such a character is just spitting on the good work of earlier creators. Point is, that bringing him back will do the Spider-books no good. Because even if you LOVE him you have to acknowledge that he won't help if the writing and editorial policy is still garbage.

The comics weren't selling with Ben in them? The reason the clone saga dragged on for so long is because it sold so well initially, it wasn't until Marvel decided to be duma*ses and milk it out for as long as possible that the books started to drop.

But yes you're right in the aspect that even if they did bring Ben back now, the people managing and writing the spidey books are crap, if they did bring him back they'd probably say the spider-god wished it, and turn ben into some sort of half man half ghost that channeled the spider totem and gives peter advice on otherworldy activities or some crap like that.

So funny^ yet soooo sad cause that's what they would do.

Odin's Lapdog said:
It's not the design, more the fact of taking something that isn't his.

He doesn't need to take it, it would be against his moral code to take it and wear it.

Ben's a poor poor dude, no need taking him places with a billion dollar suit design, he gets by, that's what he does best.

he wouldn't take it, heck he barely likes getting help from parker full stop.

IN all honesty, do you see him taking it?

I think at first he wouldn't want it but if it came from pete he could be persuaded. Anyways i don't care really who gets hurt or what he has to wear just bring him back damn it:mad:

one of the posters above did make a valid comment about if it's done he'll still be written badly.

i think that point still stands, better to not have his memory tainted i believe or return him when the calibur of writing has increased.

i can solve this bring him back and let me write it:D

i wouldn't let you touch my beloved benjy:mad:

oh right, just for the sake of argument, how would you bring him back and what role would he now have in the marvel universe which would be unique to himself so we don't get anymore of this 'parker clone, he's not needed' fan based opinions ?

Why should i tell you since you basically said i wasn't worthy? Ok let me type something up.

I have been reading Spider-Man for years, and actually stopped reading them, until the middle of the clone saga, and then stopped after the whole incident, because the stories got stupid again, and then with the whole totem angle, it brought me back to reading the comics, because I do think Marvel is trying to be creative, and finding angles, and stories that have not been told for a character that is nearly fifty years old.

They do need to bring back a supporting cast, and I have been annoyed lately that Peter seems like a Tony Stark goon, but it looks like also the books are correcting that very soon.

I think Ben Reily will be back, and I hope that if they bring him back he turns out to be a villian, and you lead the arc up for about a year, where this guy comes out destroys Peter, and just leaves. Comes back again for a couple of panels and destroys him again, leaves, and etc for about a year.

The one thing that always made the Spidey comics was the abilty to make Spidey's life miserable, and Pete's life more like a real honest to god person. Their best stories are when they put Pete in real life situations, and when Venom or the Green Goblin is ruining his life. Maybe they should get back more to that, but I do not disagree with trying different things with Spider-Man, because reading the same thing for 50 years can quite a bit boring.

I wouldn't like him to be a villian.

Plus then whats Kaine gonna do?

is this jus a discussion on a random topic? or is ben reily really coming back?

i think it was mentioned somewhere that spidey would be returning to his normal threads after civil war, however someone will still be out wearing the iron spidey costume, or at least that's what i thought this thread was about.

i think people are speculating whether this will be ben reilly or not.

i have not heard this but i soooooo wish it to be true:up:

i'd like janine to return 1st....maybe reilly tyne in tow???

Nice colours. That pic looks like what Peter might choose if he switched sides and worked with Cap.

Here is a thought. If Ben was back and on a team, I would like to see him with Deadpool. If you make Ben an assasin but keep him funny, the interaction between him and Deadpool would make me wet myself. Hell, bring back the whole Agency x, put Ben on it and I would subscribe for the rest of my life.:spidey:

Kool-Aid said:
So if Ben comes back would you be pissed if he was on the New Avengers or New Avnger West Coast? I think it'd be cool if he was on one of them or maybe one of the new teams coming outta Civil War. Or would alot of you be pissed like some were with Pete being on it?

I'd hate it.

Do we need, another Spidey Clone?

:down

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back