• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Comics Ben Reilly on the New Avengers or a team that steams from Civil War

i loved ben reilly. i've enjoyed spiderman before and after ben reilly. i want him back. i personally connect with the duality of human nature and having to face and possibly live with yourself. i LLOOVVVEEDDD every bit of the clone saga. and if i had a vote i would for the return of ben reilly. he doesn't necessarily have to be in the same area or working near spiderman. it'd be for me, like having my cake and eating it too. if they did bring him back, and you didn't like it, don't buy it. but there's no reason to not bring him back in a different setting (ignoring monetary reasons).

Odin's Lapdog said:
to be fair, of all clones and alternate timelines in all fiction, ben and kaine are the best. there aren't many i feel that are better than the original but in this case, i can say yep, they actually are.

plus ben's got better fashion sense :o

i completely agree with everything you said except this last statement. i was more of a fan then x-man and cable. because in x-man you got the youth we missed out on of cable. and he's less war torn, more reliant on his powers and so forth. they were the same person and yet vastly different. i think they're at the very least comprable to parker/reilly.

Geko said:
How to bring Ben back isn't an issue at all. As I recently said in another thread, death in the comics is really only a minor inconvenience :spidey: :supes: :doom: :thing: :ghost: :xmen: :gg:
And whether or not to bring back Ben isn't even the topic of the thread.
The topic is, WHAT IF he was brought back and put into a team. If you ask me, that's the angle that makes it acceptable. I don't want a bunch of Spider-Men running around either, I don't want them using Ben to try to fix Peter, but bringing Ben back to place him on a team is great. Fans get the character back, but in a way that he doesn't need to interact with the rest of the Spider-verse. So we still have solo Spidey and we have a Spider-Man in a team. (hopefully back as the Scarlet Spider, seeing as how the Spider-Ben costume is now more associated with Spider-Girl, and he wouldn't be able to call himself Spider-Man)

Now if that's still too many Spiders for ya, we could always alter his powers a bit as part of his resurrection.

yes yeS yES YES to this^

Citizen_Kaine said:
*Comes out of the shadows and snaps "Nerds neck*

Heres the question though, did it take the creation of Ben Reilly to see all what that wrong with the Spider Titles?

Wasn't Peter being written as an idiot and a sap long before the "mystery man" ever appeared? Didn't Peter and MJ spend less time being a family and more time fighting and *****ing, long before the words Scarlet Spider were ever concieved? How about the supporting cast, they did alot... In regards to standing around and making Peter's life miserable.

Peter Parker as a sociopath did not sell, the writers found that out long before Spec 216 ever hit the stands. All of the above statements occured long before the whole saga was drawn up. Peter Parker was not written like this to sell others on the character on Ben Reilly, Ben Reilly was created because the writers had written Peter into a ditch. And yes while Ben was created to replace Peter as well, it was done in order to avoid any conflicts of interest that would have happened if Peter Parker had reverted to his old fun loving self, examples.

1. There is no more Peter Parker supporting cast: Answer, find him a new job/location and introduce him to the characters:

Problem, The Daily Bugle is a key element of the cast, a new job takes him away from that (See ASM V2 30 on)

2. The Peter Parker relationships were a key element of the old Spider Man stories: Answer have him find a new female protagonist and build upon that (Yeah I know, I'm channeling the ghost of Joey Q here :( )

Problem, Everyone likes Mary Jane, shes now a key aspect to the mythos, she can never be replaced.

and so forth

By creating Ben Reilly, the whole Peter Parker/Mary Jane mythos that we all know and love stay the same and we get a whole new Spider Man to play and grow with, and as an added bonus we get the Classic Spidey and his red headed ball and chain annnnnnnnd his daughter as supporting cast members. Lots of possible growth and opportunity to use, and the classic Spidey feel that everyone reads in the Essentials and loves!

Instead of all that we get mystical totem Spidey hanging with his boss Iron Man at the New Avengers tower with ****ing Aunt May baking wheatcakes for Wolverine as comic relief :mad:

So yeah I'm a closet Peter Parker fan. Privy to how Peter Parker should be written, whether his name be that or not.

AMEN preach it brotha'

Odin's Lapdog said:
For one thing, personally i dont see ben reilly in the iron spidey suit. He's not a hand me downs kinda person, he has his own look and personality. He could have easily kept wearing the spidey costume when he was scarlet spider or even worn it when parker was out of the picture for a while,

in both cases he didn't and re-invented himself twice. to now say that he would take an old costume of parker's is not like him at all. Money wise and all, reilly has had it worse than pete and has managed to get some things together so it's not even a financial issue.

I see nothing wrong with having ben and parker around still. When they were written and even now, they represent two different things.

Parker is more grounded now, less carefree and has repsonsiblities, it would have been better if he also had responsibilities as a father but so be it.

Ben's responsibilities are far less and he's younger at heart and more care free, his fears and enemies are different because he has different levels of exposure to them since overall he would have been away for around ten years.

plus his relationship to aunt may now that she's back would also be different and seeing whether she would accept him now is something that could be built on.

plus with all the power changes that have happened to spidey, one can assume that clones wouldn't be affected in the same way (kinda like how buffy is THE ONE while faith and the others are just slayers). Seeing how Parker being suped up affects Ben reilly being relatively ordinary and if that big brother relationship comes into affect and if ben has problems being not only a clone, but an outdated one, imagine all the webshooter vs organic jokes they could exploit.

plus any return of ben means the return of Kaine and that can't be a bad thing.

plus the greatest bonus of all, is that they can each help cover the other's secret identity by being around when the other isn't supposed to be there (parker with the altering suit can pull it off easier while ben has to do costume changes, again can add interest).

I mean what's better tha Norman having his own private spider-man to beat up over the last 6 years.

to be fair, of all clones and alternate timelines in all fiction, ben and kaine are the best. there aren't many i feel that are better than the original but in this case, i can say yep, they actually are.

plus ben's got better fashion sense :o

i agree with almost all of this good post.

spidey-dude said:
AAAAAAAAH MY GOD HOW MANY TIMES DOES ONE HAVE TO EXPLAIN THIS .......... It really isn't hard to bring him back, if anything his death was flawed seeing as thats how only the degenerative clones die (and im not even sure they went into dust) the spider skelton clone found in the smokestack proves that, so his turning into ashes made no sense unless it was another already degenerative cloen and Ben (a perfect clone) was still alive (or dead he could be dead BUT HE WOULD BE A FREAKING SKELETON NOT DUST!!!) yeah so they just need to explain that, it's not even a retcon it's just finding flaws in his badly thought out death

u got that wrong. Ben Reilly was the clone that was dropped into the smokestack by spidey. In tying up the loose ends of the clone saga they said that norman dropped a skeleton down there. i dont think they ever specified it was a clone. soz.

oh and guys they tried putting scarlet spider on the new warriors once and that was a disaster. instantly hated by both fans he was written out straight away, if i remember correctly..

^ they did show it was a clone, from the avengers tests on it, so u got that wrong, soz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"