Sony Spin-Off Black Cat/Silver Sable spinoff film

Well if Venom crashes and burns.. Or at least become a critical failure, you might get your wish. Anyway, I was looking forward to this for its Feb release but looks like it won't be released even before Homecoming Two is released. I hope Sony waits for Venom's over all performance before they start filming this.

It makes more sense for Sony to wait and see how Venom performs before attempting more spin-off films.

Lets face it: if a sony Venom movie can't do well, then a sony silver & black movie would probably crash and burn.

The director talked to screenrant recently. An article about her status update on the project just pretty much re-iterates same thing that was said back at beginning of March when put on hiatus: https://screenrant.com/silver-black-movie-director-script/

Nothing new there but the writer kind of critical sounding in the "exclusive" report. Screenrant certainly perhaps has a lot of side commentary to many of their articles as do many I suppose...

Maybe they can take a hint that a Spider-Man-less Black Cat/Silver Sable movie is just a terrible idea? Man, Sony needs to stop smoking whatever it's smoking and get real.

I can't say I am surprised. I wonder what this means for the other projects they announced? Also, is it dead or are they simply removing it from the schedule and will fast track it if Venom is big?

They're going to wait and see if Venom bombs before giving it the greenlight.

I have a feeling they have already seen venom and they know its gonna flop and this is them reacting to the movie

It does make more sense to wait and see how "Venom" performs before tossing out more spin-off movies.

I'm glad this is put on "hold," at least for now.

I have a feeling they have already seen venom and they know its gonna flop and this is them reacting to the movie

Supposedly a re-write so still in progress but I think this is exactly what they're going to do. The film is going to get a year delay that's for sure. At this point Black Widow with platinum white hair will appear first.

I can't say I am surprised. I wonder what this means for the other projects they announced? Also, is it dead or are they simply removing it from the schedule and will fast track it if Venom is big?

Looking around the web, the director says the Silver & Black movie isn't dead, they just didn't want to rush it.

I think it’s a shame. The scriptwriter seemed to have some good ideas and silver sable is a fun character

I mentioned this in the Venom thread, but I'll repeat it again here.

Silver Sable and the Wildpack should have been the goons that work for the Life Foundation.

Set them up like Black Panther in Civil War. On going antagonist for Venom throughout the movie. (Think Donald Pierce and the Reavers in Logan. )

I personally don't care about the Sony-verse, but from a business pov, it would have been a smart move.

Believe it or not, I think this might have been influenced by Solo crashing and burning. If a Star Wars spin off on one of it's most beloved characters can fail, what chance does a spin off have when it actually isn't even spining off from Spider-Man?

This is just too bad. Black Cat is a personal favorite of mine, and there are definitive cinematic possibilities for her. Since she doesn't seem to fit in the MCU, especially given that Peter is so young, then this might mean that we don't see her in live action for a long, long time. :csad:

I would love to see Black Cat sooner rather than later. Maybe Sony can turn things around and get back to the SM1&2 standards.

I only want to see Black Cat if she's in the MCU proper and not an "adjunct" universe.

I only want to see Black Cat if she's in the MCU proper and not an "adjunct" universe.

Her story doesn't fit the MCU right now, and since Feige has stated that Peter's MCU journey is "exploring the high school years", that won't change any time soon. Her story would also have to be handled with the greatest of care in a PG-13 setting, even beyond just downplaying her sensuality.

With the European setting a Cat Burglar could work in the next SM. Then we get the infamous Black Cat throws up panel from Ultimate Spider-man.

Silver Sable could probably hold a film on her own with no real connection to Spider-man. Unless they decided to finally just solely work with Marvel on the adjunct stuff after seeing the success of Black Panther, IFW, and Homecoming.

I still want to fancast both of these characters because they could still meet Holland in future flicks.

I still remember this scene from a re-print issue I bought back in the day:

latest

1599291-silver_sable3.jpg

That comic I think is a good introduction to the character and doesn't have Spiderman in it.

Last edited:
Apparently Silver & Black is going to be cancelled....so that they can make separate solo movies for Black Cat and Silver Sable :dry:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/...an-universe-after-venom-exclusive-1202900203/

Some of Sony’s previously announced plans for Spider-Man and company are being reworked. Namely, the studio is scrapping “Silver & Black,” which was supposed to chronicle the team of Silver Sable, a mercenary who runs a company that hunts war criminals, and Black Cat, a burglar named Felicia Hardy. Instead, the characters will be in standalone films, the first of which will likely feature Black Cat.
“We believe Black Cat is enough of her own character with a great backstory and a canon of material to draw from to justify her own film,” said Panitch.
Although a final decision has yet to be made, Gina Prince-Bythewood (“The Secret Life of Bees”), the writer and director who was originally attached to make “Silver & Black,” will likely depart the project. She will, however, remain on board as a producer of both the Black Cat and Silver Sable films. If Prince-Bythewood does leave, Sony is adamant that she will be replaced by another female director. Sony is also eager to work with Prince-Bythewood on other projects.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"