Black Panther: Wakanda Forever General Discussion and Speculation Thread

It took me a second to get the character to sink in but, in retrospect, I like it. I mean, the changes are very subtle so I really don't think we can claim we didn't get a comics accurate version. I think my initial hesitation (which I still do feel) is that it feels very tonally different from the first Black Panther movie. I'm not saying they couldn't pull it off, but I feel like they have to embrace the camp to do so.

Not liking the goatee and modern haircut. Rest of the design is Ace though.

Promo art of Namora

hdf1nwalxe991.jpg

I'm really not digging it.

Promo art of Namora

hdf1nwalxe991.jpg

When they cast the actress playing her (Mabel Cadena) I thought it was a questionable casting decision at first and then I realized that perhaps she's one of those who can speak English quite well, just not on screen. I highly doubt it's a situation where she had to learn English on the fly real fast. Scrolling a bit through her Instagram, it's obvious that she can at least write in English as a few of her posts (although not many) are in English. I am interested in seeing how she does. Who knows, if this character hits for her, perhaps we'll see her in many more English language projects as we have with quite a few Mexican actors in English language projects like Diego Luna, Ana de la Reguera, Demian Bichir, Gael Garcia Bernal, and Salma Hayek.

Promo art of Namora

hdf1nwalxe991.jpg

I agree with the choice to make Namora blue. There's really no reason to have both of the main "good" Atlanteans independently be half-human with human skintone. That could possibly lead to an awkward situation too with the "good" and "bad" atlanteans being divided by skincolor. And this way Namor is more unique while Namora could represent an Atlantean that has no ties to the human surface world but still rejects Attuma's philosophy.

That said, I'll have to see the costume in motion to make a good judgement I think. She definitely looks the most different from her comic counterpart.

I wonder if they intentionally tried to make them as different as possible from the Atlanteans in Aquaman.

The Atlanteans besides Namor kinda remind of the Navi and with Avatar: Way of Water coming out the next month after Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and both species having something to do with underwater there will be comparisons. It don’t bother me none though. I kinda like it and am looking forward to both movies.

I'm kinda meh on the costume of Namora and Namor.

And where is that teaser?

They aren't debuting it this week for Love/Thunder??

I LOVE the Antlantean designs. Cant wait to see them in action. Plus, Namora's most memorable iteration (from the Exiles) was blue, so it's not like it's out of nowhere.

Now we wait for DOOM
Given recent casting choices, I'm more and more convinced that we'll get an ethnic Doom tied to his Romani ancestry. I've been increasingly drawn to Kayvan Novak in the role, though his WWDITS schedule would possibly get in the way of such a significant part.

First time I've ever heard of Namora. :dry:

Designs look cool so far. Really digging them.

If she is blue, as you see
And can live in the sea
That's Namora
:msc:

I'm kinda meh on the costume of Namora and Namor.

And where is that teaser?

They aren't debuting it this week for Love/Thunder??

Could still be but as an after credits thing like Doctor Strange at the end Spider-Man. Maybe it has spoilers related to Thor which is why it isn’t debuting before.

Clearly her mark 1, so she can get her full suit in the show.

It's an interesting design. I believe her Mark I in the comics was basically a bulky grey/black regular Iron Man suit kind of like a more primitive War Machine or a version of Iron Monger but closer to modern Iron Man faceplates. I like that this one looks like a more primitive design that doesn't have full plated covering and a Stark-style faceplate straight away. It has a very unique silhouette and it seems like Riri didn't just fully reverse engineer everything like Tony had it but also had to use her own engineering. Tony never had his thrusters and stabilizers like that I think, so there seems to be some of Riri's own design solutions incorporated. I wouldn't mind if for her show they didn't copy her comic design exactly but design her a bit more in her own distinctive style that's more different from Tony. And also if she has fewer resources than billionaire tech-CEO Tony and this is reflected in her design and struggles. Let her have more limitations to start with and don't immediately jump her to Extremis/Bleeding Edge/Nanotech level.

Now we just gotta find out who the eff the new Black Panther is. :funny:

Not a huge fan of them covering up these indigenous actors with CG. Kinda takes away from the representation of it all, and I'd argue, the movie's themes.

I'd argue the actors an actresses of color are still representing themselves and their culture regardless of make up and CG. They'll be featured and marketed in one of the biggest franchises of all time. No amount of make up and CG can take away from that. Plus, they're playing south American characters, I don't see harm in letting them be characters. I think it'd be a different story if they were cast as generic or faceless roles that anyone could be, but the fact that marvel is willing to stray from the source material to create something more rich and more diverse says a lot for these actors. I get where you're coming from, I'm shut not certain it's a sticking point for this particular franchise/movie.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"