Black Widow at the Box Office!

The movie is a small thing to worry about,
Safety first.

Last edited:
If anything, they'll do what they did with Mulan and push the release back in other countries but not in the U.S.

That's assuming the virus hasn't gotten worse in the US by then.

Lets see how Onward does this weekend.
I am sure Disney will be watching closely to see if the virus has an effect on the box office.

Last edited:
Coronavirus Causes Panic For Studios & Theaters: Will ‘Black Widow’ & ‘F9’ Move? – Deadline

Currently, Disney is adamant that they’re not moving the May 1 release date of Black Widow, and Universal is officially not changing their May 22 release for F9. Many in the distribution sphere heard rumors that Disney would move Black Widow to Marvel’s Eternals Nov. 6 release date (and thus that Angelina Jolie movie would head to 2021), but that’s not the plan at hand according to the studio. I understand Disney is telling its exhibition partners that they’re staying the course with their current release slate.

I'm so sick of hearing about this damn virus
the flu kills tens of thousands (of Americans alone) a year and I'm supposed to care about like 5 people with a cold?

I know it's bad for older folks, but I'm not letting it stop me from going to see this in theaters, no doubt

Well, the virus isn't going anywhere at the moment, so may as well get used to hearing about it.

WB is not out of the superhero movie business.
The good times will come soon enough.
In the meantime, thats great news for Black Widow.

It has a good chance of reaching one billion, but it all depends on China.

A billion is impossible at this moment. The coronavirus definitely affected the worldwide economy and it would take a years or more, before we see big box office numbers from China again.
the flu kills tens of thousands (of Americans alone) a year and I'm supposed to care about like 5 people with a cold?

I know it's bad for older folks, but I'm not letting it stop me from going to see this in theaters, no doubt
Its going to wipe out us all! :o

Until the virus starts petering out it will create too much uncertainty and could be a big drag on all films.

Good news is that China seems to be crawling back slowly and cinemas could return as usual by end of April though I can see many people still don’t feel too comfortable going to crowded places. Bad news is the problems just got started in the US and Europe and will only worsen in the next couple of months in terms of panic level. So if this movie is released as scheduled it certainly won’t live up to its potential. I don’t see a billion even when all things are normal and I would see max 600 million (it is generous) if it is not moved.

This thing started in China and #1 with the most cases, so it would probably take a long while (definitely not April) before people there flock in cinemas.

Thats fairly insensitive because people are actually dying from it. movie is kinda of a secondary concern at this point. It will affect this movie's numbers. People will go out to see it but a big boom to these movies also come from people that see it more than once. Id bet people are less likely to do that now and let that one viewing be it until its released on streaming platforms

Last edited:
Thats fairly insensitive because people are actually dying from it.
I know it is, and I apologize for that
but I'm just so burnt on being sensitive to anything and everything for the past 3 years... so a sickness that is magnitudes less prevalent than the flu just doesn't get my blood pumping these days
but hopefully they figure this s*** out, there's minimal deaths, and we all go get to see our movie on time

Really hope this doesn't get pushed back, but based on the latest trailer it definitely seems as if they are still sticking with the current May date. I mean I still have faith that this movie could still be a huge hit for the studio with how great the marketing has been so far, but with China shutting down and the COVID cases in the U.S. and other places getting worse by day it really does have hard slope to climb, but hopefully things get somewhat better by the time it finally releases. It's hard to tell right now though.

Yeah, unfortunately the virus is only getting worse. Global markets are crumbling and it's getting to the point where the instinct move for most people will be (rightly so) to avoid going out to crowded spaces if it isn't absolutely necessary. I'm on this site every week at some point, but I'm not planning on going to the theater anytime soon, even if the odds are still low of me getting the virus.

Last edited:
Glad they're not panicking and pushing the movie back.

Yeah, unfortunately the virus is only getting worse. Global markets are crumbling and it's getting to the point where the instinct move for most people will be (rightly so) to avoid going out to crowded spaces if it isn't absolutely necessary. I'm on this site every week at some point, but I'm not planning on going to the theater anytime soon, even if the odds are still low of me getting the virus.
Going on Saturday to see Bloodshot.
Can't wait.

I originally thought it was a lock for a billion, but given the new realities of the virus, I think 800-900 is more likely.

Coronavirus: Poland, India, Lebanon, Kuwait Close Cinemas – Deadline
As the impact of coronavirus sweeps the globe and the World Health Organization officially declared it a pandemic, Poland, India, Lebanon and Kuwait are the latest countries to entirely or partially close cinemas.

Cinemas are closed in markets including Italy, Czech Republic, Iran and China, where tens of thousands of theaters remain shuttered. There are partial closures in Korea, Japan and Hong Kong and some cinemas have been closed in northern France.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"