Box Office Thread

Same. Hopefully this movie was just a bump in the road and not something long term. I believe the next films coming up will get things going again.
They only have one movie next year - Deadpool 3. And that's tangental to the MCU at best. It's gonna be tough to regain goodwill with no new films coming out. They're gonna have to pull out all the stops to sell those 2025 releases.

As a streaming business, D+ still needs to spend good money on content. Netflix spent $200m each on The Grey Man and Red Notice, Apple spent $200m on Napoleon which was not originally intended for theatrical release. Not to mention the epic money spent by Amazon on the lord of the rings prequel.

that said, whether it should be spent big on another MCU project is debatable since it means also allocating some of the same teams for other MCU projects.

also D+ needs to move away from MCU and Star Wars reliance for its long term health sake. The show that I liked most in recent months on D+ is actually neither, and I could keep my sub if it can continue to put out other good shows and not overuse their usual franchises.

The less than $100 million (U.S./Canada) Club
82M Blade
73M Morbius
70M Blade
65M Dark PhoeniX
65M The Marvels
56M Fantastic Four
52M Blade: Trinity
51M Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
33M The Punisher
24M Elektra
23M The New Mutants
16M Howard the Duck
08M Punisher: War Zone

It should outgross Morbius in a few weeks. I can't believe I just typed that.:cheeky:

They only have one movie next year - Deadpool 3. And that's tangental to the MCU at best. It's gonna be tough to regain goodwill with no new films coming out. They're gonna have to pull out all the stops to sell those 2025 releases.
You make it sound as if Deadpool 3 doesn't count. Of course it does.

Well... after seeing The Marvels' numbers maybe not being tied to the MCU will actually help it ;)
Also, Madame Web's budget was under 100M while The Marvels was 250M, so even if it put similar numbers it'll still be doing better.
POSITIVITY!

The less than $100 million (U.S./Canada) Club
82M Blade
73M Morbius
70M Blade
65M Dark PhoeniX
65M The Marvels
56M Fantastic Four
52M Blade: Trinity
51M Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
33M The Punisher
24M Elektra
23M The New Mutants
16M Howard the Duck
08M Punisher: War Zone

It should outgross Morbius in a few weeks. I can't believe I just typed that.:cheeky:

Wow, I forgot how awful the 2015 Fantastic Four did. And Dark Phoenix for that matter.

Wow, I forgot how awful the 2015 Fantastic Four did. And Dark Phoenix for that matter.
Even though the Fantastic Four and the X-Men films weren't as big as the biggest MCU films. Their lowest grossing film before their respective flop film, didn't struggle to hit the $100 million mark. There's also a big difference between their least grossing film to their 2nd least grossing film. We can now say this to the MCU. The Marvels will be lucky to hit 80 million at this point.

65 (Dark PhoeniX) vs 146 (First Class) or 132 (The Wolverine)
56 (Fan4stic) vs 131 (Rise of the Silver Surfer)
75? (The Marvels) vs 134 (The Incredible Hulk)

Well... after seeing The Marvels' numbers maybe not being tied to the MCU will actually help it ;)
Also, Madame Web's budget was under 100M while The Marvels was 250M, so even if it put similar numbers it'll still be doing better.
Is it though?

In the long run, The Marvels would probably get more streaming points than Madame Web because of the characters that are in the movie. The Marvels might not get any profit from ticket sales, Disney still will be able put it into their streaming service, and Disney should get some money from it. Just like how Disney has Dark PhoeniX for Disney+.

I'm interested to know how profitable mcu library is for Disney+. Surely they wouldn't have spent 200 million for Secret Invasion, if they didn't get anything from the previous shows, even though they aren't as popular as the most popular original shows/films on NetfliX.

Does anyone think the strike had something to do with the low numbers? I didn't expect this movie to reach a billion like the first, but this low of numbers are crazy. Actors/Actresses' couldn't really promote the movie, right?

It sucks to see this happening. I really enjoyed the movie despite it's low runtime.

Does anyone think the strike had something to do with the low numbers? I didn't expect this movie to reach a billion like the first, but this low of numbers are crazy. Actors/Actresses' couldn't really promote the movie, right?

It sucks to see this happening. I really enjoyed the movie despite it's low runtime.

It might be a factor, but only one. Movies like Five Nights at Freddy's and Saw X did incredibly well despite the strike. If people could show up at those without the actors promoting them, no reason why they wouldn't show up for a Marvel film unless they weren't interested.

With all the money at their fingertips, Disney would be able to and did promote and put out spots and trailers for this movie in prime spots without the need of the actors.

You make it sound as if Deadpool 3 doesn't count. Of course it does.
Does it really, though? Deadpool is an established franchise outside of the MCU. From the rumors, it feels like there will be multiverse shenanigans that tie it in, but how much is it actually going to be associated with the MCU by the general audience? The average viewer probably doesn't even know about the buyout. IMO, it's not going to help or hurt the broader Marvel brand any more than the Fox-Men films did.

Actuals are in and The Marvels came in below Thanksgiving (10.3M) so #4 spot for its second weekend. Made slightly less than Morbius (10.2M). 78.1% second weekend drop which cements it as the biggest drop for a superhero movie.

It is embarassing because I would have thought with these disastrous numbers, Marvel Studios just gave us their equivalent of Fant4stic, Dark PhoeniX, Catwoman and Morbius. They didn't. Far from it.

Looking at the audience/critics response, this is more similar to X3, The Flash, Venom 2, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Thor Love and Thunder, Eternals and those movies still made money (eXcept for The Flash).

It appears that the public completely lost interest seeing this in the big screen. I don't think more cast promotions and a better movie would have made a big difference. Maybe a better fighting chance for $100 million domestically and $300 million worldwide. There are plenty of "great" movies that still flop or underperform at the boX office regardless.

I hope Marvel Studios has a plan. Because 4, Thunderbolts and Blade will see the same numbers if not worse in less than 2 years, if they don't do something drastic to turn things around. Captain America would probably underperform too, maybe not $70 million in the U.S. but it would be lucky to outgross CATFA domestically. The situation is bad.

Is it though?

In the long run, The Marvels would probably get more streaming points than Madame Web because of the characters that are in the movie. The Marvels might not get any profit from ticket sales, Disney still will be able put it into their streaming service, and Disney should get some money from it. Just like how Disney has Dark PhoeniX for Disney+.
They are on track to lose 500M when the theatrical run is over... you can't put a spin on it, this is a disaster.

Looking at the audience/critics response, this is more similar to X3, The Flash, Venom 2, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Thor Love and Thunder, Eternals and those movies still made money (eXcept for The Flash).
Yes, those movies made money... The Marvels lost money, a lot of it.

They are on track to lose 500M when the theatrical run is over... you can't put a spin on it, this is a disaster.

No you were comparing it to Madame Web which also going to be most likely going to be a disaster as well, unless it cost $10 million.

Its not a spin, to say that The Marvels will have better streaming clicks than Madame Web.

Disney should lower their budgets and abandon movie theaters and just go straight to streaming and increase the price of Disney+. The days of theatrical success for them are over. Become Netflix and embrace streaming.

Disney should lower their budgets and abandon movie theaters and just go straight to streaming and increase the price of Disney+. The days of theatrical success for them are over. Become Netflix and embrace streaming.
3vKJqc7.gif

They’re wasting their time and money with theatrical. No one is going to go anymore.

People know the movies will show up on Disney+ quickly so there’s no point.

They aren't abandoning the cinemas. A budget of $75 million to $150 million would be a good idea financially, with few eXceptions like The Avengers, Spider-Man and other bigger names.

They are really going to put a lot of pressure on themselves, if they give every film a budget of $200 million. It would be impossible for every film to get a profit and a sequel, especially if some of those films are struggling to hit the 100 million mark in North America, and 300 million worldwide.

DOMESTIC (40.2%)
$64,945,395

INTERNATIONAL (59.8%)
$96,556,717

WORLDWIDE
$161,502,112

Hmm even $250 million worldwide is impossible at this point.

500M? How do you get that number? If the budget was around 220-250M (after the 55M tax credit) and they spent another 150M on marketing then the total cost would be around 370-400M. Currently, the movie is set to make around 200M WW (and half of it goes back to the studio) so the most they'll lose is 300M.

The tradition of credit scenes is wearing thin, and in my showings far less people stay for them than in the past. Too many things get teased that don’t get paid off, or will take so long to pay off that people will have forgotten the initial tease by the time they do.
By the time they teased Hercules at the end of Thor, I was over it. It was the third new character in a row they introduced in a post credit scene (Starfox and Clea the other two) and I don’t remember any of the pre-Endgame movies doing that. It shows they only know how to tease what’s next instead of actually making a good movie before it.

Disney should lower their budgets
You started off good here...
and abandon movie theaters and just go straight to streaming and increase the price of Disney+. The days of theatrical success for them are over. Become Netflix and embrace streaming.
but then you went off into lala land over here.

They’re wasting their time and money with theatrical. No one is going to go anymore.

People know the movies will show up on Disney+ quickly so there’s no point.
You act as if they simply are locked in now and have no other options. They can simply make sure their movies take longer to get to the platform.

Even if all their movies underperform, releasing it first in theaters would still make them some money. Moreso than just dumping it through a streaming app that would be all over pirate sites in the same day.

After the theaterical run, the rest follows - digital sales, physical media, streaming revenue, sponsorship deals, merchandises and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"