Deadpool 2 $ £ ¢ € ¥ | The Box Office Thread | ¥ € ¢ £ $

@boxoffice:

DEADPOOL 2
$8.80M Weekend (Est.)
3,212 Screens / $2,739 Avg.
Weekend 5 / -37.8% Change
$294.68M Total (North America)
#Deadpool? ? #Deadpool2? ? #BoxOffice

Right on target. I’d guess it hits 300 Thursday or Friday.

Hooray! It's going to make 700, though I was a bit worried it was only $600-650 million due to the amount of films out for the past month! So glad I was wrong! :woot::woot:

Last edited:
Can't complain with that. Hopefully X-Force can kick on to even higher heights though.

To be fair, after Memorial Day weekend it looked very much like it might miss 300. Not by a lot, but still would fall short. But it’s held very, very well since.

On the OS front mojo has it adding another $18 million to $394.86 million and a grand total of $689.5 million WW. Should top 400/700 Thursday or Friday tho we probably won’t have official numbers until after next weekend.

I'd like to know who are those people who HOPEd for the film miss $300 million. :o

But yeah it looked like it was going to miss $300 million, anyway we can all thank Solo's under performance for that.

I'd like to know who are those people who HOPEd for the film miss $300 million. :o

But yeah it looked like it was going to miss $300 million, anyway we can all thank Solo's under performance for that.

Maybe. I think I’d point more toward the almost total lack of direct competiton. All it’s faced in that regard was Action Point, which completely faceplanted. Tag, which just came out last weekend and was much more successful, might cut into DP2’s legs a bit going forward.

It’s really been a weak year so far for R-rated films. There have been just two that have done significant business, 50 Shades 3 and DP2.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic/mpaa.htm?page=R&sort=year&order=DESC&p=.htm

Last year by this time we had Logan, Get Out, 50 Shades 2, John Wick 2 and Baby Driver was just about to open. So bottom line here in 2018 if you’re looking for an action or action/comedy that isn’t chasing the PG/PG-13 four-quadrant holy grail, DP2 has literally been it.

No credit to the film itself huh?

Maybe. I think I’d point more toward the almost total lack of direct competiton. All it’s faced in that regard was Action Point, which completely faceplanted. Tag, which just came out last weekend and was much more successful, might cut into DP2’s legs a bit going forward.

It’s really been a weak year so far for R-rated films. There have been just two that have done significant business, 50 Shades 3 and DP2.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic/mpaa.htm?page=R&sort=year&order=DESC&p=.htm

Last year by this time we had Logan, Get Out, 50 Shades 2, John Wick 2 and Baby Driver was just about to open. So bottom line here in 2018 if you’re looking for an action or action/comedy that isn’t chasing the PG/PG-13 four-quadrant holy grail, DP2 has literally been it.

'The Predator' is coming in September.

fobi said:
No credit to the film itself huh?

Why? It's not even a Disney film. :o

'
Why? It's not even a Disney film. :o

Thank **** for that. Look at what they did to Star Wars.

Mondays update:
$1.1m+

Domestic total = $295.663m
WW Total = $690.792m+

It will cross $300m domestic this weekend, probably Friday, and $700m worldwide with more to come.

It wasn't better than the first film.

There are varying opinions on that. For some... it was. For others it was on par with the original, and others thought it was inferior.
I love how you always try to act as a fact dispenser. :whatever:

No matter how you spin it around, the movie wasn't a disappointment. It will get to $700m despite FIERCE competition and in a summer marketplace, and that'a all thanks to its legs, which means it had a strong word of mouth and was popular amongst moviegoers.

Last edited:
Oh here you are again with your rude behavior. Whatever happened to you putting me in your ignore list? Can't help but to act rude again to people that you don't share the same opinions again? Fact dispenser? I never claimed myself such a ridiculous label. Geez.

Oh here you are again with your rude behavior. Whatever happened to you putting me in your ignore list? Can't help but to act rude again to people that you don't share the same opinions again? Fact dispenser? I never claimed myself such a ridiculous label. Geez.

You are an interesting subject.

Headed into the weekend...

DEADPOOL 2
$866K Thursday
$298.90M Total (North America)

Thursday was it’s first sub-$1 million day. Regardless, it will top 300 today. Projection for the weekend is $4.3 million.

Psy, wouldn't it be easier if you took your own advice and just blocked/ignored the folks that you claim are rude? The same way you say folks who are apparently rude should place you on ignore, or how some say they should place you on ignore when you pop up in the X-forums, why not just do the same? Would solve your problems.

And probably clear the air.

Aaaaaand done!

DEADPOOL 2
$1.48M Friday Estimate
$300.38M Domestic Total
#Deadpool2? ? #BoxOffice

Good news and well deserved, sequels are tricky beasts and there's been many a flop of a follow up film to a successful first, glad this managed to make its own way as well. Fingers crossed we get that third installment and/or X-Force.

Aaaaaand done!

DEADPOOL 2
$1.48M Friday Estimate
$300.38M Domestic Total
#Deadpool2? ? #BoxOffice

It will cross $700 million worldwide this weekend as well, so all the relative financial benchmarks have been hit.

I never expected a followup to such a classic to be this successful. But they pulled it off by avoiding most of the pitfalls almost all sequels make in trying to imitate the first one. DP2 really does some great world building without feeling like a carbon copy of the first film.

The important thing Reynolds has to do with the third installment is open up the first trailer showing Vanessa, just to remind everyone she is okay. From there I think the possibilities are wide open. Vanessa is critical to Deadpool because she grounds his character. There has to be a real heart behind all the mayhem that Deadpool creates. That's the undercurrent that must run through all of this.

Weekend estimate:

DEADPOOL 2
$5.25M Weekend (Est.)
2,420 Screens / $2,169 Avg.
Weekend 6 / -40% Change
$304.15M Total (North America)

That’s a better hold than projected, tho still a bit bigger drop than it had the last couple weekends. Impressive considering it’s lost a lot of screens over the past two weeks.

It will cross $700 million worldwide this weekend as well, so all the relative financial benchmarks have been hit.

I never expected a followup to such a classic to be this successful. But they pulled it off by avoiding most of the pitfalls almost all sequels make in trying to imitate the first one. DP2 really does some great world building without feeling like a carbon copy of the first film.

The important thing Reynolds has to do with the third installment is open up the first trailer showing Vanessa, just to remind everyone she is okay. From there I think the possibilities are wide open. Vanessa is critical to Deadpool because she grounds his character. There has to be a real heart behind all the mayhem that Deadpool creates. That's the undercurrent that must run through all of this.

I agree with all of this. All I’d add is that Reynold’s love for the character really shows, and his enthusiasm is infectious, not just with the audience but the cast as well. I could watch him as Deadpool all day because he’s clearly having a blast.

I agree with all of this. All I’d add is that Reynold’s love for the character really shows, and his enthusiasm is infectious, not just with the audience but the cast as well. I could watch him as Deadpool all day because he’s clearly having a blast.

I agree. I completely trust Reynold's instincts on his treatment. Deadpool is 100% his. He understands the pacing, humor, and how it fits into the bigger picture of the story. Deadpool is not standup. No matter who is directing, I think Reynolds is pretty much running the show and he's making sure Deadpool does not collapse into predictable slapstick.

This sequel cleared the hurdle in terms of me wondering if the first one was just a fluke of time and attention to one project for so many years. It was not. I'm thrilled to see what is next. Reynolds is telling a great story with solid characters and he leaves me hungry for more.

Domestic & Worldwide targets have been met. :woot:

1)Domestic - $304,150,321 43.0%
2)Foreign - $403,002,257 57.0%
3)Worldwide - $707,152,578

Domestic & Worldwide targets have been met. :woot:

1)Domestic - $304,150,321 43.0%
2)Foreign - $403,002,257 57.0%
3)Worldwide - $707,152,578

So where do we think it is going to finish up?

My guess is $725+ million worldwide.

So where do we think it is going to finish up?

My guess is $725+ million worldwide.

I’m thinking anywhere from $730M-$740M depending on how it holds. I think it has a realistic shot at beating the original’s OS total. Of course not by much but I wouldn’t be shocked at say $422M OS and $318M domestic for a WW total of $740M.

This weekend there isn’t really much of a threat so it should have another good hold. The following weekend Ant-Man is coming out which will be another big test for it but to be honest apart from the weekend where it lost its premium sceeens to Solo, it’s held well every single weekend so it will be interesting to see how it holds up against Ant-Man.

Either way the retention rate on this has been insane. The first one set a really really high bar in terms of box office so it’s great to see the sequel retain more than 90% of its audience.

I also always like to add that this franchise does these kinds of numbers without China and without 3D which just makes the numbers that much more impressive.

Last edited:
There are varying opinions on that. For some... it was. For others it was on par with the original, and others thought it was inferior.
I love how you always try to act as a fact dispenser. :whatever:

No matter how you spin it around, the movie wasn't a disappointment. It will get to $700m despite FIERCE competition and in a summer marketplace, and that'a all thanks to its legs, which means it had a strong word of mouth and was popular amongst moviegoers.

It’s late legs pretty much show it’s had really really good WOM. It’s been able to have the run it’s had even with all the competition it’s faced. After it’s second weekend drop most websites had it finishing in the $280M-$290M area. The fact that it’s going to make $30M+ more goes to show you the kind of WOM it’s having. It’s a shame Solo killed its second weekend the way it did or else we would be looking at it making $330M+ domestic and $750M+ WW. Regardless it’s a great result and great retention rate.

It’s late legs pretty much show it’s had really really good WOM. It’s been able to have the run it’s had even with all the competition it’s faced. After it’s second weekend drop most websites had it finishing in the $280M-$290M area. The fact that it’s going to make $30M+ more goes to show you the kind of WOM it’s having. It’s a shame Solo killed its second weekend the way it did or else we would be looking at it making $330M+ domestic and $750M+ WW. Regardless it’s a great result and great retention rate.

If solo wasn`t released (and some other movie was).....DP2 would have at least around 20 to 30 million in its coffers by now.

IW would have at least 10 to 20 million in its....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"