• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Winter Soldier Captain America is getting a sequel.......Already

I wouldn't say that. I'll point to both the Spider-man and Batman movies as an example. They started scripting their films way after release. In fact, I believe that Nolan only got started scripting TDKR around early last year. They somewhat have a vision for the film, but there isn't a clear plan, especially considering that Sony kept switching around Raimi's ideas for Spider-man movies.

Well, "always" might be to absolute but i'd say its true the vast majority of the time with these kind of movies.

And it doesn't really apply to TDK because Nolan was already on the hook and they knew he was going to do it. It was a given. There was no "hiring" needed. He had the leeway to do it on his schedule.

Its a whole different beast when you have the same creative team working through a trilogy or sequels. There is no "hiring" to be done, they are already on board and they know the script will come.

If noone is on tap ahead of time they hire them VERY early to get a draft in so they can have an idea of what they are looking at. Many times they have multiple ones written and then re-write them several times.

This shows Marvel liked the script for CATFA, but little else. Making the leap that this leaked, unrelated info is somehow an indictment of Thor and other movies is faulty logic IMO. No correlation there at all. It was leaked info and we have NO idea whats going on with the other movies.

I think its an organic situation and not as simple as some are thinking. Not that black and white IMO. Last time I heard them speak of it they are STILL planning a sequel for Hulk AND the TV show (which they made the comment that the TV show WOULD NOT be tied into the movie-verse). Its just not a high priority until they build up to a bigger production schedule capability.
I didn't hear them saying it would be set in a different universe, where did you read that? They actually seem to be continuing the story on tv since they couldn't onn the cinema.

having a sequel set in WWII would not be dragging out his origin, it would be expanding upon the legend...

even if they do book end the movie in the present, which is a huge mistake, they can still do sequels in the '40's as long as there is a logical break in the story.

I just do not want to see the same disaster made of this movie that Cannon made of their Cap in the '90's. You had his origin, he goes on one mission and basically fails, gets frozen, etc. Some living legend of WWII!

There have been quotes lately from both Feige and Joe J. saying it's all set in the past or wanting to do sequels in the past - so that gives me hope...

I've seen nothing about "sequels" in the past, just that the vast majority of CATFA takes place in the past.

I'm not disagreeing about what are good ideas or aren't. I'm just stating what I think THEY are thinking about the sequels and what they will do from what iv'e read.

Its just my opinion of what I think will happen. I'm not personally saying that it couldn't work.

I didn't hear them saying it would be set in a different universe, where did you read that? They actually seem to be continuing the story on tv since they couldn't onn the cinema.

I read it from a link on here when the news first broke. I remember Del Torro saying that it is its own project, they are not bound by the movie-verse.

Things could change though honestly. Its still SUPER early. Who knows what we will actually end up with.

*Found it*

Here you go.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/708664/guillermo-del-toro-co-creating-new-hulk-tv-show.html

Last edited:
Well, "always" might be to absolute but i'd say its true the vast majority of the time with these kind of movies.

And it doesn't really apply to TDK because Nolan was already on the hook and they knew he was going to do it. It was a given. There was no "hiring" needed. He had the leeway to do it on his schedule.

Its a whole different beast when you have the same creative team working through a trilogy or sequels. There is no "hiring" to be done, they are already on board and they know the script will come.

If noone is on tap ahead of time they hire them VERY early to get a draft in so they can have an idea of what they are looking at. Many times they have multiple ones written and then re-write them several times.

This shows Marvel liked the script for CATFA, but little else. Making the leap that this leaked, unrelated info is somehow an indictment of Thor and other movies is faulty logic IMO. No correlation there at all. It was leaked info and we have NO idea whats going on with the other movies.

I think it also shows Marvel has faith Cap will make money more so than Thor, which is not surprising to me given Cap is more popular in name than Thor.

It depends on the expectations though. I think Cap will get a sequel even if it slightly underperforms because Cap is a more marketable character than Hulk and is Marvel's flagship character. I think it would take a little more than slightly underperforming for Cap to not get a sequel.

You can bring up Superman but let's be honest, WB is not as much into making superhero films like Marvel/Disney is.

I think Cap has a good position to have legs given it comes out at the end of the summer season. But, its opening will be hurt by Potter.

It depends on the expectations though. I think Cap will get a sequel even if it slightly underperforms because Cap is a more marketable character than Hulk and is Marvel's flagship character. I think it would take a little more than slightly underperforming for Cap to not get a sequel.

You can bring up Superman but let's be honest, WB is not as much into making superhero films like Marvel/Disney is.

Sorry to say, but Marvel's overall flagship character is and probably will always be "Spider-Man" (I'm not even a Spider-Man fan). Oh and Marvel seems to push Hulk more than Cap as well (two films & two t.v. shows).

Marvel even seems to put Wolverine over Cap, no offense but he's the star of four films (he was the main character in all 3 X-Men films) and one tv show (Wolverine and the X-Men).

I don't mean to downplay Cap, but Marvel sure does.

I think it also shows Marvel has faith Cap will make money more so than Thor, which is not surprising to me given Cap is more popular in name than Thor.

(sigh) Once again this has NOTHING to do with Marvel's faith in anything, someone just found out working on Cap 2's writers because ALL of these movies are intended to have sequels.

Remember this isn't a Marvel Studios announce, it's just that some website found out about Cap 2's writers.

Last edited:
Double post

Last edited:

How could it be faith when you don't know anything about what else they have going on? Do you have some inside info that other writers haven't been hired for Thor? It doesn't show anything by itself other than they liked the script for CATFA. Any connection is a leap of logic or an assumption. It wasn't even an announcement, just an insider leak. It means nothing about the other projects at all. Just because someone picked up the info doesn't mean thats all thats going on.

I completely agree that CATFA is a probable bet to be more marketable and make more money. I'm sure Marvel knows this as well and have planned accordingly all along. There is no way to know the two are connected other than guessing and leaps of logic.

You may be right, but its just a guess or assumption. Thats all i'm saying. Without knowing everything thats going on or not going on it says nothing.

Last edited:
I agree that the general audience might be a little put off with 4 Marvel superhero movies a year (especially when you take into consideration that Fox and Sony will still be putting out their takes on the properties that they still own the rights to!) Although from a fan's point of view, that would be AMAZING! Imagine watching a Marvel movie in the theater and having it released on DVD and Blu-ray right about the same time that the next or following movie is released in the theaters! WOW! That would kickass! That's one of the worst things for me - waiting to own it after already waiting anxiously for months for it to come to the theaters!

Last edited:
How could it be faith when you don't know anything about what else they have going on? Do you have some inside info that other writers haven't been hired for Thor? It doesn't show anything by itself other than they liked the script for CATFA. Any connection is a leap of logic or an assumption. It wasn't even an announcement, just an insider leak. It means nothing about the other projects at all. Just because someone picked up the info doesn't mean thats all thats going on.

I completely agree that CATFA is a probable bet to be more marketable and make more money. I'm sure Marvel knows this as well and have planned accordingly all along. There is no way to know the two are connected other than guessing and leaps of logic.

You may be right, but its just a guess or assumption. Thats all i'm saying. Without knowing everything thats going on or not going on it says nothing.

This

Yes, Captain America is indeed more popular and marketable than Marvel's Thor (that goes without saying). But let's not forget than many people recognize Thor from Norse mythology and he's actually more known than alot of the Greek gods (Thursday is named after him).

I agree that the general audience might be a little put off with 4 Marvel superhero movies a year (especially when you take into consideration that Fox and Sony will still be putting out their takes on the properties that they still own the rights to!) Although from a fan's point of view, that would be AMAZING! Imagine watching a Marvel movie in the theater and having it released on DVD and Blu-ray right about the same time that the next or following movie is released in the theaters! WOW!

Yeah I feel the same way, I just don't want the genre to become "stale". It also sounds like they're sacrificing "quality" for "quantity" because four Marvel films a year is ALOT of work.

(sigh) Once again this has NOTHING to do with Marvel's faith in anything, someone just found out working on Cap 2's writers because ALL of these movies are intended to have sequels.

Remember this isn't a Marvel Studios announce, it's just that some website found out about Cap 2's writers.

I'm not saying Marvel has no faith in Thor. I am just saying Cap is more popular. If you look blankly at the two names, you would expect Cap to make more money, at least in the United States.

Once again, I am not saying Thor has no marketablility. I am just saying Cap has more of a brand name, so I am not surprised that it would seem things get moving on a Cap sequel more quickly than a Thor sequel. Especially considering they signed Evans to a 6 film contract.

This

Yes, Captain America is indeed more popular and marketable than Marvel's Thor (that goes without saying). But let's not forget than many people recognize Thor from Norse mythology and he's actually more known than alot of the Greek gods (Thursday is named after him).

I am not saying Thor is not popular. I am saying Cap is more popular. That's not a knock on Thor. Most superheroes are less known than Cap is.

Once again, I am not saying Thor has no marketablility. I am just saying Cap has more of a brand name, so I am not surprised that it would seem things get moving on a Cap sequel more quickly than a Thor sequel. Especially considering they signed Evans to a 6 film contract.

I'm not disagreeing about any of that. I'm merely saying that you cant surmise that from the leaked info. Its a leap of logic.

That info is no evidence that Cap is moving any faster than anything else because you don't know about anything else. Without knowing what else is going on there is no evidence that Cap has been "greenlit" quicker or is moving any faster than anything else.

It may be, but its just an assumption. You cant surmise that from that "leak".

Thats all i'm saying. Doesn't mean it can't turn out to be true.

Yeah I feel the same way, I just don't want the genre to become "stale". It also sounds like they're sacrificing "quality" for "quantity" because four Marvel films a year is ALOT of work.

Remember too that some of those "projects" will be off the path stuff like "Runaways" or "Cloak and Dagger" type stuff. Lesser properties.

It may not be that bad if thats the case.

We also have sequels for:

Cap
Thor
Hulk
Iron Man
Avengers
Shield

Even if you space them out every two years apiece thats a lot per year to get them done anytime soon.

If you do the math then 2 movies a year isn't possible to get all of that done before the actors are all to old.

Last time I heard them speak of it they are STILL planning a sequel for Hulk AND the TV show (which they made the comment that the TV show WOULD NOT be tied into the movie-verse).

Just wondering, when was this said?

Just wondering, when was this said?

Ruffalo and Marvel have made comments about it in different interviews and articles. Its kind of scattered around. I know where the "TV show not being tied to the movie-verse" comment is at but the rest I don't remember. Google would probably find them.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Marvel has no faith in Thor. I am just saying Cap is more popular. If you look blankly at the two names, you would expect Cap to make more money, at least in the United States.

I am not saying Thor is not popular. I am saying Cap is more popular. That's not a knock on Thor. Most superheroes are less known than Cap is.

Did you not read my post, because I was clearly agreeing with you that Cap is more marketable and popular than Thor (of course).

I was just saying that Thor is actually FAR more known for being a Norse God than he is for being a superhero. He's even got his own day of the week named after him, Thursday. Alot of people will see his movie because of his connection to the Norse version of himself.

Did you not read my post, because I was clearly agreeing with you that Cap is more marketable and popular than Thor (of course).

I was just saying that Thor is actually FAR more known for being a Norse God than he is for being a superhero. He's even got his own day of the week named after him, Thursday. Alot of people will see his movie because of his connection to the Norse version of himself.

I know you said that, but I was just clarifying what my original point was because I felt people seemed to think I said Thor isn't marketable. I'm aware Thor is very well known in Norse Mythology also, but I don't think that awareness will boost the movie's BO any. I think Thor will be a hit, having said that. It has a great position in the summer slate of film's and strong trailers. That is what I think is going to get people in the seats for Thor.

I know you said that, but I was just clarifying what my original point was because I felt people seemed to think I said Thor isn't marketable. I'm aware Thor is very well known in Norse Mythology also, but I don't think that awareness will boost the movie's BO any. I think Thor will be a hit, having said that. It has a great position in the summer slate of film's and strong trailers. That is what I think is going to get people in the seats for Thor.

Oh no I understood your point, I was making a general statement when I said the stuff about Norse mythology.

I disagree with you saying that won't help with the BO, because if you look at any youtube video of the trailer most people talk about it as if it's a movie about Norse Thor.

Oh no I understood your point, I was making a general statement when I said the stuff about Norse mythology.

I disagree with you saying that won't help with the BO, because if you look at any youtube video of the trailer most people talk about it as if it's a movie about Norse Thor.

I hope it helps. I'd like to see each of the Big 3 succeed and make Avengers the big thing of next year :up:

Which it will be for me, no matter what happens. I am far more hyped for Avengers than the other 2012 comic films.

The Avengers may steal the show in 2011 but considering that spider-man and The Dark Knight Rises are released the same year, and as we know they're obvious hits, there is the possibility that Avengers doesn't have enough success.

I hope it helps. I'd like to see each of the Big 3 succeed and make Avengers the big thing of next year :up:

Which it will be for me, no matter what happens. I am far more hyped for Avengers than the other 2012 comic films.

Same here, I wish more people felt the same my friend :). I'm far more hyped for Thor and Cap than any other films this year, I cant wait for GL as well.

The Avengers may steal the show in 2011 but considering that spider-man and The Dark Knight Rises are released the same year, and as we know they're obvious hits, there is the possibility that Avengers doesn't have enough success.

Nahh, Spider-Man & TDKR are popular but The Avengers is going be groundbreaking. I'm a big fan of Nolan's Batman films, but realistically I doubt TDKR is even going to make a much a TDK (no Heath Ledger).

Last edited:
I'm not very hyped for Thor but i'm very hyped for X-Men: First Class and Cap America, but until now i always prefered caps stories set in world war II

I'm not very hyped for Thor but i'm very hyped for X-Men: First Class and Cap America, but until now i always prefered caps stories set in world war II

Cool to each his own, oh and Cap's film is set in WWII by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"