• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay yeahhh still don't like it
maybe it's cuz the comics are tarnishing her so badly right now, but I don't wanna see Carol slapping around Hulk and Thor power-wise

The boards are gonna be insufferable after Avengers 4, haha. People are still complaining about Captain America beating Spider-Man.

maybe it's cuz the comics are tarnishing her so badly right now, but I don't wanna see Carol slapping around Hulk and Thor power-wise

Feige is taking this crap way too far. It's going to be laughable IMO.

Last edited:

Why do you have to be such a negative Nancy?

Great comic stories are remembered, the bad ones not so much.

Carol won't slap around Thor, she'll just humiliate him in an arm-wrestling match and lifting heavy things which he cannot. Since Thor loses the arm-wrestling bet, he is now her arrand boy for a week. Carol stops by Thor in her spaceship. "Get in b***! We're going shopping!" Thor slunks his head in disgrace and obeys Carol. :oldrazz:

Feige is taking this crap way to far. It's going to be laughable IMO.

I know, right? Its not like she's ever flown through the sun before, right? Oh, wait. That's EXACTLY what she did during Operation Galactic Storm, when she saved the sun from going nova.

tumblr_mqxuzyFatN1rxl4mto3_r1_1280.png

Last edited:
It'll be fine. They'll just have a couple of awesome displays of strength/power just to show "hey, this chick is a powerhouse like Thor." It's not as if she's gonna come in and clean up while everyone else is struggling and end the movie in 5 minutes.

On another note, something about the way Feige answered the director question leads me to believe they've actually chosen the director now. In the past, he's said things like "we are meeting with many talented directors, the majority of whom are female, but ultimately it's all about finding the right person for the job" - basically covering his bases in case they ended up having to go with a male director. The fact that he's now acting dead-set on a female director suggests to me that they've already found their female director, so he's confident in saying that.

Power analogous to Thor is fine. I do think Marvel has always had an advantage in that they didn't have a Superman. I don't want her to be too powerful to relate to.

As some of us have pointed out previously, Feige clearly knows that CM will go Binary-esque at some point as he's made reference to that particular power level a couple of times.

Why do you have to be such a negative Nancy

cuz i feel like it aaaa-ite? lol

no, I've just never been a fan of elevating characters at the expense of others... they could be equally powerful, but no, the new guy's always gotta be better than the old

I know, right? Its not like she's ever flown through the sun before, right? Oh, wait. That's EXACTLY what she did during Operation Galactic Storm, when she saved the sun from going nova.

Anecdotally, everything I've read on comic fans sites say she isn't on Thor's level, but obviously still a powerhouse (Here's one: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/carol-danvers/4005-21561/forums/ms-marvel-compared-to-thor-613011/). Yet, here we go - Feige is elevating her a few too many notches simply because she's a female comic book superhero and let's face it, a marketing tool for bringing more female viewership to the MCU.

As an unapologetic Thor fan, I continue to find the whole thing bothersome. Just seems like dude is never going to be given his dues in the MCU.

Last edited:
Yet, here we go - Feige is elevating her a few too many notches simply because she's a female comic book superhero and let's face it, a marketing tool for bringing more female viewership to the MCU.

Those pesky women folk ruining our superhero movies.

Also power level comments concerning the comics are utterly irrelevant since the movies don't always follow the comics in that regard. MCU Thor is already far weaker than his comic incarnation, so Carol being stronger than him isn't actually that big a stretch.

And regardless, I don't see why the character should need to be toned down to avoid potentially overshadowing a character a completely different franchise character she has nothing to do with.

Last edited:
well, "a completely different franchise" and "character she has nothing to do with" is understating their impending relationship just a tad

Marvel is the franchise, which they share, and they will almost certainly share screen time, so they don't have "nothing to do with" each other
You make it sound like they're from different studios or something

I agree Thor's been nerfed, as has Hulk, but then the nerf should be company wide and apply to Carol as well

Those pesky women folk ruining our superhero movies.

Never said that, so don't start that stuff with me.

Also power level comments concerning the comics are utterly irrelevant since the movies don't always follow the comics in that regard. MCU Thor is already far weaker than his comic incarnation, so Carol being stronger than him isn't actually that big a stretch.

And regardless, I don't see why the character should need to be toned down to avoid potentially overshadowing a character a completely different franchise character she has nothing to do with.

Why isn't Captain Marvel toned down? Why is it for a female character suddenly Feige is willing to be more faithful to her powerset?

Btw all these characters interact in some capacity now - so yes it will be relevant.

Last edited:
The difference is, y'all have gotten male heroes that powerful onscreen before. We lady folk haven't. It seems to me like Captain Marvel's as good a candidate as any to be that powerhouse female we've been craving, and if she eclipses a male hero she wouldn't have in the comics for once, I'll just say it's about damn time. Thor's ego can take it. Fanboys' might take a little longer, but they'll survive too. ;)

I don't see why this is a big deal. Captain Marvel has had fights with many powerful characters in her tenure and is a very powerful hero in her own right. Why does her being potentially more powerful than Hulk or Thor truly matter? I am sure that if a fight happened, she isn't one punch more powerful than them, and I don't see Marvel making Thor or Hulk look bad in order to make her look more powerful. I am sure it will be organic, work, and be just fine.

The difference is, y'all have gotten male heroes that powerful onscreen before. We lady folk haven't. It seems to me like Captain Marvel's as good a candidate as any to be that powerhouse female we've been craving, and if she eclipses a male hero she wouldn't have in the comics for once, I'll just say it's about damn time. Thor's ego can take it. Fanboys' might take a little longer, but they'll survive too. ;)

Wonder Woman??

I don't see why this is a big deal. Captain Marvel has had fights with many powerful characters in her tenure and is a very powerful hero in her own right. Why does her being potentially more powerful than Hulk or Thor truly matter? I am sure that if a fight happened, she isn't one punch more powerful than them, and I don't see Marvel making Thor or Hulk look bad in order to make her look more powerful. I am sure it will be organic, work, and be just fine.

Considering the fact that we had people complaining about the Hulkbuster fight, Cap vs Iron Man and even Cap vs Spidey people will
Still complain regardless.

Wonder Woman??
She's nice to see, but I'm still annoyed they took away her ability to fly, tbh (and yes, I know she hasn't always had that in the comics, but it's an ability she has regularly had, and they opted not to use it - Heaven forbid she even come close to matching Superman's powerset). And no, she's not nearly as powerful as this. Unless she can also fly through the sun and emit charged blasts as powerful as nuclear detonations on top of all that strength and I missed it. The only on-screen character I can think of who came close to what we're gonna get here is Faora in MoS, and she's A.) not a hero and B.) a one-off.

Bingo. And I doubt they'll even fight in the first place. If anything, I hope we get to see the Captain Marvel/Hulk fastball special from space they did in Hickman's Avengers run. That was sweet. :D

Last edited:
I want her to be in that top group of MCU heroes with Hulk, Thor, Strange & Vision (hopefully Scarlet Witch when she develops) and fighting on the front line.

Anecdotally, everything I've read on comic fans sites say she isn't on Thor's level, but obviously still a powerhouse (Here's one: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/carol-danvers/4005-21561/forums/ms-marvel-compared-to-thor-613011/). Yet, here we go - Feige is elevating her a few too many notches simply because she's a female comic book superhero and let's face it, a marketing tool for bringing more female viewership to the MCU.

As an unapologetic Thor fan, I continue to find the whole thing bothersome. Just seems like dude is never going to be given his dues in the MCU.

They are going to be looking out for the entire MCU franchise and I doubt they'll do something stupid. Let's not get too excited until we see what happens. Also, I suspect Thor may become way more powerful in about a year.

I'm a Thor fan too....him DS and CM are my favs. Let's chill.

I want her to be in that top group of MCU heroes with Hulk, Thor, Strange & Vision (hopefully Scarlet Witch when she develops) and fighting on the front line.
Ditto. :up:

Why isn't Captain Marvel toned down?

Because the movie will be written and directed by people who had nothing to do with the Thor films or any of the creative decisions about how strong Thor is?

so yes it will be relevant.

Only to people who get angry over such silly things. You're never gonna make everyone happy so there's literally no reason to tone down the character just because a smalls subset of people might be offended by her being stronger than Thor.

Last edited:

We haven't gotten a male superhero with that kind of power level in the MCU. Others characters like Thor have been nerfed and suddenly it's OK to let loose because .......... ?

She's a woman. I mean it's pretty transparent.

Except Feige's description is NOTHING like any male MCU superhero, so what you describe isn't lining up.

It matters to people are are fans of certain characters who wish to see them genuinely portrayed as accurately as possible.

Because the movie will be written and directed by people who had nothing to do with the Thor films or any of the creative decisions about how strong Thor is?

Only to people who get angry over such silly things. You're never gonna make everyone happy so there's literally no reason to tone down the character just because a smalls subset of people might be offended by her being stronger than Thor.

Malarkey.

While each film has it's own subset of writers - they all answer to Feige and his overall vision for the characters/universe.

Malarkey.

It really isn't. Is Feige supposed to say "No, don't do that! A few Thor fans will be offended!" over her power level? That's silly.

We haven't gotten a male superhero with that kind of power level in the MCU.

Please. They may not be the most powerful in all of pop culture but there are plenty of men who are extraordinarily powerful in superhero movies. To pretend otherwise is to be willfully ignorant to make some point about women getting a double standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"