Justice League Character Comparisons: Snyder Cut vs. Whedon Cut

Deck Rickard

Lord of Frenzied Flame
Reaction score
So now that we’ve seen both versions, which characters do you feel fared better in the Snyder Cut? It’s easily a better movie than the Whedon cut but I have to say that there were a few characters I thought came off better in the theatrical version. Some I thought were kinda the same. Others were obviously better in the Snyder version. My thoughts on the biggies:

Batman: Snyder Cut, but not by much. I’m just not a fan of Affleck’s portrayal.

Superman: Whedon Cut. Aside from the farm scene in ZSJL, Superman almost felt lifeless to me. The theatrical version gave him some charm and interactions with the rest of the league. Though I don’t know if that makes up for his creepy mouth lol.

Wonder Woman: Snyder Cut. I liked her Assassin’s Creed Odyssey scene early in the film and her interactions with Alfred were a highlight.

Flash: Whedon Cut. I didn’t like him in either version but he was 1000 times worse in ZSJL. That pet store scene was the DC equivalent of Tobey Maguire’s finger guns Spider-Man 3 scene, only far worse. I will say that Flash was good in the final battle. But other than that I couldn’t stand him.

Cyborg: Snyder Cut. We get his backstory and he’s much more central to the plot. Though I wish they would have given him more to do than brood.

Aquaman: Whedon cut. Neither version utilized Momoa’s charisma as well as his solo film, but it was completely absent from the Snyder version. That really surprised me because he’s very charismatic when he’s allowed to be.

Alfred: Snyder Cut. I enjoyed him a lot. It felt like he was barely in Whedon’s version.

Steppenwolf: Snyder Cut, though I didn’t really care for him in either version.

Lois Lane: I guess I’ll say Snyder here because of the farm scene. I don’t really remember her all that much in the other version and I’m definitely not going back and watching it again to refresh my memory.

I think the only character that came out better in the Whedon cut was Superman. I feel he had more charm in the Whedon cut, and actually got to interact with the League more in the Final battle.

As much as I like black suit, I actually feel red&blue was more appropriate for the movie. Clark would finally become a confident Superman embraced by the earth. Not a fan of evil Superman as a plotline.

Also while poorly executed by Whedon, I do like the idea of the Justice League actually saving individual people like the Russian village in the final battle. It makes the victory more triumphant, and shows the League introducing themselves to the world as a team.

Lastly some of the lines did surprise me on who ended up being behind them.

Some of Barry's joke's where actually Snyder's. Thought "snackhole" was a Whedon line

The "Save one" speech was actually a Whedon line

"Kal el No!" was Snyder as well

Cyborg obviously fared better in Snyder Cut.

Superman fared better in Whedons cut.

Diana overall likely Snyder cut but Whedons version was more in tune with a more mature Diana

I liked Diana vs. Bruce in Whedons version when discussing bringing back Superman.

Diana vs. Steppenwolf "I belong to no one" takes a back seat to Whedons "You overestimate yourself"

Way more menace with the design, roar and violence. Not to mention the face :funny:

Zack-Snyder-Justice-League-Steppenwolf-Without-Mask.jpg

This aint a face to write home about

Steppy in the Whedon cut reminded me of one of those plastic figures that you put in water and it grows. Snyder Cut Steppy without the helmet kinda looked like a dried up turd with eyes. Not a fan of either look but the Snyder version looks better IMO.

The only characters who I thought were better in the Snydercut were Cyborg and Steppenwolf.

I found most of the JL members were so one-dimensional in the Snydercut- bad guys are here we must fight them.At least in the Whedon version Bruce and Diana have discussions about what leadership means and how their past guilt is driving their decisions.

Yeah Batman felt REALLY bland here. He was bad in the Whedon version too but I’ll give this version a slight edge because Affleck didn’t look quite as bored but he was just kinda there.

The only characters who I thought were better in the Snydercut were Cyborg and Steppenwolf.

I found most of the JL members were so one-dimensional in the Snydercut- bad guys are here we must fight them.At least in the Whedon version Bruce and Diana have discussions about what leadership means and how their past guilt is driving their decisions.
And Flash? He got totally done dirty in Whedon cut essentially making him a MCU Spidey clone to Batman's Ironman, being the inexperienced kid who's never done battle. Snyder Flash is already experienced enough to know if he goes too fast, he'll start affecting time. And that final sequence, my lawd...

I can't believe anyone prefers this caricature of the '70s over Superman from ZSJL.

Superman with a cgi smile looking straight at the camera says how he believes in truth and is a fan of justice. The only thing missing was for him to say that he does not believe in violence, that good is good and bad is bad.

I can't believe anyone prefers this caricature of the '70s over Superman from ZSJL.

Superman with a cgi smile looking straight at the camera says how he believes in truth and is a fan of justice. The only thing missing was for him to say that he does not believe in violence, that good is good and bad is bad.

Yeah believe it, a caricature is still better than a plot device, which is what Snyder's Superman was and is. IMO Snyder's mopey, emo, dialogue challenged, nihilistic Superman is such an unmitigated pile of s*** that Whedon's fake lip /dumb one-liners Superman is perfection by comparison.
Also, please try and not insult Chris Reeve's version with that "caricature of the '70s" line because that's the version that still resonates with the general public.
It's honestly strange how some of you Snyder lovers seem to take shots a Chris Reeve's Superman to make a point about how much you like the Snyder version. You have to understand that some people (like myself and most of the general public) don't like Snyder's version because it simply doesn't appeal to us and not because we're stuck in the past.

Batman: Snyder Cut. No "something's definitely bleeding" Schumacher-y turd lines, no red skin, actually behaves like Batman.

Superman: Snyder. No mustache. Has exactly the same amount of screen time, but no bloody 70s camp. His interactions with the team are more meaningful. The look he and Batman have when getting helped up is better than all Whedon lines combined.

Wonder Woman: Snyder. I prefer when female characters actually DO stuff instead of being objects with boobs to fall on for "comic relief", thank you very much.

Flash: Snyder. I mean, that time travelling moment and the inner monologue while doing it is already better than all the reshoots combined. Next!

Cyborg: hahahahahahahahaha, is this one even needed to be compared? Obviously Snyder.

Aquaman: The one that changes the least in the SC imo. Still going for Snyder because I want to burn that sight of the tattoos changing from shot to shot from my mind.

Yeah believe it, a caricature is still better than a plot device, which is what Snyder's Superman was and is. IMO Snyder's mopey, emo, dialogue challenged, nihilistic Superman is such an unmitigated pile of s*** that Whedon's fake lip /dumb one-liners Superman is perfection by comparison.
Also, please try and not insult Chris Reeve's version with that "caricature of the '70s" line because that's the version that still resonates with the general public.
It's honestly strange how some of you Snyder lovers seem to take shots a Chris Reeve's Superman to make a point about how much you like the Snyder version. You have to understand that some people (like myself and most of the general public) don't like Snyder's version because it simply doesn't appeal to us and not because we're stuck in the past.

Where do I take the shot at Christopher Reeve?

Read carefully.

I said that Whedon's version resembled a caricature of Superman from the 1970s.
The '70s Superman was great at that time, but times change, somehow we're not romanticizing the' 70s Batman version like Superman's, we're just moving forward and adapting these characters to the present day.

The same goes for music, we have completely different times, and in Whedon's version we hear classic themes from the 70s and 90s that do not match what we see on the screen.

Snyder's Superman serves as a plot device only in the ZSJL as a symbol of something that will bring the Justice League together. In previous films, Superman had a specific journey to go through.

there has to be a happy medium that satisfy both camps.

Am I the only one that preferred hearing Blackpink's music in the background during Barry's encounter with Bruce? :p:cool:

Where do I take the shot at Christopher Reeve?

Read carefully.

I said that Whedon's version resembled a caricature of Superman from the 1970s.
The '70s Superman was great at that time, but times change, somehow we're not romanticizing the' 70s Batman version like Superman's, we're just moving forward and adapting these characters to the present day.

The same goes for music, we have completely different times, and in Whedon's version we hear classic themes from the 70s and 90s that do not match what we see on the screen.

Snyder's Superman serves as a plot device only in the ZSJL as a symbol of something that will bring the Justice League together. In previous films, Superman had a specific journey to go through.

'70s caricature' is taking a shot at Chris Reeve because he was the face of the 70s Superman. All I'm saying is that alot of you Snyder fans seem to make a point of dissing Donner's Superman to make your point about how much 'cooler' or 'contemporary' Snyder's Superman is and I think it's needless. Just say that Snyder's Superman works for you, no reasons or explanations necessary.

Yeah Superman was a plot device in BvS as well, Superman died for 2 reasons: the first is to give Batman a redemption arc and the second -according to Snyder- was for Batman to bring the JL together because if it was Superman doing it the whole thing would be too easy, so removing Superman from the picture and having Batman struggle with bringing the team together would add more drama.

For my sins, I prefer the Josstice League's Superman.

Because he was actually there. :dry:

Otherwise, I think all the characters were better served by the Snyder Cut. Oh, except for Martha Kent lol.

Wonder Woman: Snyder. I prefer when female characters actually DO stuff instead of being objects with boobs to fall on for "comic relief", thank you very much.

She didnt do anything in the Whedoncut? Apart from the Flash falling on her, she had a voice, didnt automatically go with the group and was more of an equal to bruce in making decisions.

She didnt do anything in the Whedoncut? Apart from the Flash falling on her, she had a voice, didnt automatically go with the group and was more of an equal to bruce in making decisions.

Yeah that reminds me... that one line of Batman's in the Snyder cut right before they go off to confront Steppenwolf in the finale. "Remember, I brought you together as a group for a reason" or something along those lines - felt really strange. Batman had the idea sure, but he didn't give any credit to Diana despite her assistance.

The fact that anyone could say they prefer The Flash in Whedon's cut over Snyder's is mind boggling to me.

That an many other bits I've read in the previous replies. It just shows that people will see what they want. I'm sure that if you put a photo or artwork in front of a bunch of people, everyone would see it differently.

The fact that anyone could say they prefer The Flash in Whedon's cut over Snyder's is mind boggling to me.

The pet store scene (and most of his other scenes but definitely that one) was what ruined Flash in ZSJL for me. I don’t know how anyone could say he wasn’t annoying as hell in that scene. I already wasn’t a fan but my God, that made me never want to see Ezra again in anything. Horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"