Justice League Character Comparisons: Snyder Cut vs. Whedon Cut

Whedon's Cut
Lois: You smell good.
Clark: Did I not before?

Snyder's Cut
Lois: You spoke.
Clark: Did I not before?

Besides that, I kinda agreed that we need more Cavill's Superman acting like "Superman", and I am unhappy with Snyder's direction for Superman in his stories. But, ZSJL as a story is miles better than the theatrical release of JL.

I know this likely won't be well received around here but its one of MauLers best takedowns. And it really breaks down the differences in the characters in the both cuts.

I don't particularly enjoy Mauler's take-downs, but this one is far more enjoyable because it is more a comparison between cuts and has some insightful observations. It's very relevant to this thread, all about character work.

He pretty much argues that the characters are all better in Josstice League. I wouldn't have agreed at all but he makes some good points. If nothing else, it's a good look at why changes were made. Zack Snyder appears to be a nice enough guy, but he's a horrible director. Joss Whedon appears to be a dick, but he knows storytelling.

Joss Whedon and his storytelling.

0dbc92a53dcf206d5afdb7d586b740c11fe5affd.png

A single image is a poor indicator of a film director's storytelling ability.

... But even so, Barry falling on the boobs is a crappy joke rooted in his character: He's socially awkward and is inexperienced with his powers. One sabotages the other. By contrast, hot dog in the air has a hot dog in the air. It's love at first sight, a fatal car wreck and a hot dog gag all in one.

... But even so, Barry falling on the boobs is a crappy joke rooted in his character: He's socially awkward and is inexperienced with his powers. One sabotages the other. By contrast, hot dog in the air has a hot dog in the air. It's love at first sight, a fatal car wreck and a hot dog gag all in one.

Its almost ironic that Whedon used the falling on Wonder Woman gag as part of his arc and is labeled a pervert(rightfully so).

But even the pervert understood the hot dog scene needed to be cut.

Eh, Steppenwolf talking to Amazons about how they will love him after he defeats them, is misogynistic, chauvinistic.

How Aquaman talks about Wonder Woman is completely out of character, it makes him look like a flirt. Martha Kent calling Lois Lane, who is iconic journalist, as thirsty is in very poor taste, I'm male but even I was cringing when I heard that. And Lois writing puff piece articles for Daily Planet instead of doing investigative journalism is bad idea, in Snyder Cut, she's still grieving and hasn't returned to work as it has been few months since Superman had died.

Not giving any scene to Clark Kant and Martha Kent after he returns from dead is also example of poor storytelling by Whedon. So, is Clark describing his return as itchy, not a good dialogue.

And worst of them all is that woman appearing on TV claiming that aliens have kidnapped her husband and they were performing experiments on him, was that supposed to be funny ?

Last edited:

Falling on woman as joke was used by Whedon in Avengers when Bruce Banner falls on Black Widow, he used that joke again in JL 2017, so the same joke was used two times, when it was not funny even the first time.

in Snyder Cut, she's still grieving and hasn't returned to work as it has been few months since Superman had died.

I think Snyder said in the watch-along that it was about a month between BvS and JL

Both scenes are lame.

And the one constant across both scenes? Ezra Miller. Coincidence? I think not.

Bad Ezra. That's a bad Ezra. :gibbs:
I dont think any actor could play that scene and make it work though. Ita a weird scene from the get go.
Honestly I prefer his first big flash moment to be him dodging the batarang.

Its almost ironic that Whedon used the falling on Wonder Woman gag as part of his arc and is labeled a pervert(rightfully so).

But even the pervert understood the hot dog scene needed to be cut.
I dont think they cut it because it was "peverted"

And on that, if anything its 'a get your mind out of the gutter' moment. Because he is just grabbing it for the doggos.

I dont think they cut it because it was "peverted"

And on that, if anything its 'a get your mind out of the gutter' moment. Because he is just grabbing it for the doggos.

when i first watched it, i initially thought barry was grabbing that hot dog because hey its free food!
and a speedster gets hungry!

Speaking of great storytelling.

View attachment 44670

You know, I get what Snyder was going for in that scene, especially with the slow-mo, but I couldn't help but yell at the screen (and Snyder) to hurry up and just have Flash save the girl already. The slow-mo in that scene was probably the only one in the entire movie that left me exasperated because it was showing Flash (of all people) taking too damn long to save someone's life.

I know this likely won't be well received around here but its one of MauLers best takedowns. And it really breaks down the differences in the characters in the both cuts.

LOL! That was gold! Thank you for sharing.
So I guess the conclusion is: If given a choice between Snyder's overindulgent 4hr s***y cut or Whedon's 2hr s***y cut of Snyder's original s***y cut, one should just choose death!

Eh, Steppenwolf talking to Amazons about how they will love him after he defeats them, is misogynistic, chauvinistic.

As is having alot of the amazonians with exposed bellies (which is asinine considering how covering you belly protects your gut and alot of your vital organs) just so they can look sexier.

How Aquaman talks about Wonder Woman is completely out of character

I think Wonderwoman blowing the hell out of a section of a museum just to kill one terrorist is also completely out of character and stupid as hell considering the fact that she risked killing all the police officers and bystanders outside just so Snyder could have his "cool" moment. Honestly you'd think a woman who actually works at one museum would be more reticent to damage another.

it makes him look like a flirt. Martha Kent calling Lois Lane, who is iconic journalist, as thirsty is in very poor taste, I'm male but even I was cringing when I heard that.

Sure, but having her be a total b**** to not Jimmy Olsen in BvS for not reason was also in very poor taste IMO and made the character look pretty bad and unlikable from the very opening scene. Conclusion: neither of those so called feminist directors handled this character with much grace.

And Lois writing puff piece articles for Daily Planet instead of doing investigative journalism is bad idea, in Snyder Cut, she's still grieving and hasn't returned to work as it has been few months since Superman had died.

Different people deal with grief differently, I doubt many people any problem with either of those outcomes.

Not giving any scene to Clark Kant and Martha Kent after he returns from dead is also example of poor storytelling by Whedon. So, is Clark describing his return as itchy, not a good dialogue.

Yup "itchy" was a dumb line but atleast Whedon tried to give Cavill some dialogue but I guess if it comes down to Snyder's mopey, mute Superman or Whedon's dumb one-liners Superman, I for one would have to -yet again- choose death.

And worst of them all is that woman appearing on TV claiming that aliens have kidnapped her husband and they were performing experiments on him, was that supposed to be funny

Yup, one of Whedon's many silly additions, but honestly I don't envy anyone who has to remedy Snyder's incomprehensible mess and Whedon did himself no favors with his so called "edits". Those idiots at WB should've just burned the original cut of JL and collect the insurance.

I think Wonderwoman blowing the hell out of a section of a museum just to kill one terrorist is also completely out of character and stupid as hell considering the fact that she risked killing all the police officers and bystanders outside just so Snyder could have his "cool" moment. Honestly you'd think a woman who actually works at one museum would be more reticent to damage another.

It's not a museum. It's the Old Bailey, which is the central criminal court of England and Wales.

Old Bailey - Wikipedia

You know, I get what Snyder was going for in that scene, especially with the slow-mo, but I couldn't help but yell at the screen (and Snyder) to hurry up and just have Flash save the girl already. The slow-mo in that scene was probably the only one in the entire movie that left me exasperated because it was showing Flash (of all people) taking too damn long to save someone's life.

Yeah, what bothers me so much about that scene (besides Barry acting like a complete moron and an imbecile when talking to the pet shop owner) is that this woman is about to DIE, and yet he still takes the time to stare creepily at her and caress her hair, and then catch a hot dog out of the air. That he can do all this and still have time to save her is beside the point. He should just be focused on saving her.

Yeah, what bothers me so much about that scene (besides Barry acting like a complete moron and an imbecile when talking to the pet shop owner) is that this woman is about to DIE, and yet he still takes the time to stare creepily at her and caress her hair, and then catch a hot dog out of the air. That he can do all this and still have time to save her is beside the point. He should just be focused on saving her.

The hair stroke made me laugh so hard. I don't think that was the intention of the scene but the combination of the song and slow mo just broke me.

Is it just me or is very odd that Iris has no facial expression as she's flying through the air? I've never been ejected from a car but her lack of facial reaction during this accident is both creepy and weird to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"