Justice League Cyborg - "The Heart of the Movie?"

Matt

IKYN Guy Groupie
Reaction score
So in a USA Today interview last year, Snyder described Cyborg as follows:

Ray’s story is in a lot of the ways the heart of the movie.

Did anyone get this vibe from Cyborg? In terms of characterization, he was paper thin (even by Zack Snyder standards). As to the plot, I suppose Cyborg separated the Mother Boxes, but I wouldn't really describe that as the "heart of the movie." If anything it made him a plot device.

I guess what I am asking is, what exactly was Snyder going for there? Was he talking out of his ass when he described Cyborg in those terms or are there deleted scenes that flesh the character out a bit?

There are deleted scenes.

We know a lot of stuff involving Cyborg's arc and his backstory was ultimately cut from the film, so it's hard to come up with a concrete answer.

Last edited:
i still felt he was the heart of the movie.

even though he got lot of his scenes/flashbacks cut out.

the beginning scene with his dad and that whole scene when diana tries to recruit him into the team sold me on that.

there's still a mini-arc for victor in the theatrical cut, but i think snyder's original version had a more fleshed out one.

Cyborg was originally supposed to find out what the motherboxes are, could do and how to destroy them. There was going to be a big StarLabs scene and some backstory to his tragic accident/life. Basically his entire arc was cut from the movie.

Yeah there wasn't enough in the film for that quote to be true. He must have based it on scenes that were cut.

i still loved what we got with Cyborg.

would be nice if we got back all those cut scenes for the blu-ray tho.

please WB, make it happen. at least some kind of extended version of the theatrical cut we got, if not the full snyder version.

I don't mean to be rude here, but every time someone makes a criticism about this film, I feel like 10 posters show up and say "a bunch of stuff was cut from the movie". While that may very well be true, do you have any actual proof of this, at least in this case specifically? I know everyone wants to blame WB and maybe it is 100% their fault, but I'm curious how everyone just seems to know that the reason a character was underdeveloped or some plot thread wasn't fleshed out is because WB cut a bunch of stuff from the film.

LDN_Film, a verified VFX artist that worked on Wonder Woman and who was there supervising JL, did an AMA on reddit a while back and confirmed that a lot of scenes containing a good portion of Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman's backstories were cut.

Wasn’t impressed with Cyborg at all in this movie. Huge turn off as I think Victor Stone’s character has a TON of potential. Then again that seems to be the common case with most DCeU characters.

I don't mean to be rude here, but every time someone makes a criticism about this film, I feel like 10 posters show up and say "a bunch of stuff was cut from the movie". While that may very well be true, do you have any actual proof of this, at least in this case specifically? I know everyone wants to blame WB and maybe it is 100% their fault, but I'm curious how everyone just seems to know that the reason a character was underdeveloped or some plot thread wasn't fleshed out is because WB cut a bunch of stuff from the film.

LDN_Film, a verified VFX artist that worked on Wonder Woman and who was there supervising JL, did an AMA on reddit a while back and confirmed that a lot of scenes containing a good portion of Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman's backstories were cut.

Along with the cinematographer, the leaked scenes, and Ray Fisher.

You can simply watch the trailers and see that a lot of Cyborg's scenes were cut.

You can simply watch the trailers and see that a lot of Cyborg's scenes were cut.
This, numerous sources including the actor self that are saying a lot was cut.
Snyder always telling us that Cyborg was the heart of his JL.
And Wonderwoman's line 'o hi you made it!' coming out of nowhere. I'd say that's pretty conclusive.

I remember one scene of him catching a flying vehicle and saving some guy. There were probably some others but that's the only one that sticks out to me.

In ways I felt more like Batman was the heart of the movie, seeing him move from regret to redemption at the end of the film. But I emotionally connected with Cyborg as well.

The best scene of the entire movie was when Bruce told Barry to just save one person. Then he'll know what to do after that. Why couldn't there be more moments like that?

And Batman quipping about something bleeding, and Flash falling on top of Wonder Woman's boobs! :o

I think there was also supposed to be a bromance with Flash, that was going to lead into the Flash movie where Cyborg would be in as well.

All I remember was the graveyard scene of Flash awkwardly trying to be Cyborg's friend.

Well, this is disappointing.
If I had to guess, there's just a lot of footage of
Cyborg that was cut from the film that does support this.

I wish we had seen more of him; he had great potential.
I liked all of his scenes, especially the meeting with Diana.

So in a USA Today interview last year, Snyder described Cyborg as follows:

Did anyone get this vibe from Cyborg? In terms of characterization, he was paper thin (even by Zack Snyder standards). As to the plot, I suppose Cyborg separated the Mother Boxes, but I wouldn't really describe that as the "heart of the movie." If anything it made him a plot device.

I guess what I am asking is, what exactly was Snyder going for there? Was he talking out of his ass when he described Cyborg in those terms or are there deleted scenes that flesh the character out a bit?

I don't think the movie was allowed to breathe enough to have a "heart" of the movie. It just moved too quickly for that to happen, imo. We just had small moments here and there, but they didn't do enough with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"