DC COMICS: Superheroes having kids

GregComicFan

movie and comic buff
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering this: Has any long-running superhero ever been rebooted or written to have a child or children and this change in the character was actually SUCCESSFUL and stuck???

For example, Singer's inclusion of Superman being a father in "Superman Returns" seemed pretty much universally disliked.

In the comic world, has a superhero, who was once kid-less, ever been suddenly given off-spring and it was a big hit and stuck?

My thoughts:

--- Nobody seemed against Terry being Bruce's son in "Epilogue", the JLU episode from awhile back. But that's tv, not comics.

Green Arrow has like 2 kids i think and for questions like this we have the thread stickied to the the top of the forum.

Wally has kids, Arsenal has Lian, Batman has Damien, Plastic Man has Luke...

I don't think we've ever had an instance of this being a hit. The best you can usually hope for is for them to be tolerated by the fanbase.

Batman is probably the most high-profile icon who has an in-canon child -- a son named Damien that he had with Talia -- who so far still exists. Wally West has kids who so far haven't been retconned. Roy Harper has a daughter. Black Lightning has two daughters. Alan Scott had two kids and is now down to one.

There's more examples I'm sure, usually amongst the B and C-list characters.

Hi, I was wondering this: Has any long-running superhero ever been rebooted or written to have a child or children and this change in the character was actually SUCCESSFUL and stuck???

For example, Singer's inclusion of Superman being a father in "Superman Returns" seemed pretty much universally disliked.

In the comic world, has a superhero, who was once kid-less, ever been suddenly given off-spring and it was a big hit and stuck?

My thoughts:

--- Nobody seemed against Terry being Bruce's son in "Epilogue", the JLU episode from awhile back. But that's tv, not comics.

Batman fathered an illegitimate son with Talia named Damien. He is also the adoptive father of Dick Grayson and Tim Drake. And he was the legal guardian of Jason Todd.

Barry Allen, the second Flash, is both a father and a grandfather. His children with Iris Allen, Don and Dawn were the Tornado Twins who were killed defending the Earth in the future. Don has a son, Bart Allen (Impulse, Kid Flash, and the forth Flash), with Meloni Thawne. Dawn has a daughter XS of the Legion of Superheroes.

Wally West, the third Flash, is the father of Jai and Iris West with his wife Linda.

Oliver Queen, the first Green Arrow, learned that he conceived Connor Hawke, the second Green Arrow, during his college years. He also is the father of Shado's child, Robert in an act of rape (Shado raped him, thankfully not the other way around). He was also the legal guardian of Roy Harper (who has an illegitimate daughter with Cheshire) and Mia Dearden (who we are constantly reminded of the fact that she has AIDS).

Aquaman had two sons. He had an illegitimate son with an Inupat woman named Koryak who was killed during the Spectre's attack on Atlantis during Infinite Crisis. His son with Mera, Arthur Curry III, was murdered by Black Manta. He also served as the father figure to Garth, who has a son named Ceridian.

The Martian Manhunter had a daughter named K'ymm who died with the rest of her race.

Plastic Man is the father of an illegitimate son named Luke, who is currently the superhero Offspring.

Black Lightning has two daughters; Thunder of the Outsiders, and Lightning of the Justice Society of America.

Hawkman and Hawkgirl had a son named Hector Hall who was the Silver Scarab and eventually became Dr. Fate before going into the Dreaming. With his wife Lyta, Hector has a son named Daniel, Dream of the Endless.

Metamorho has an illegitimate son with Sapphire Stagg.

Red Tornado adopted a daughter named Traya.

Elongated Man was to be a father, but his wife Sue was killed while she was pregnant by Jean Lorring.

Wildcat has an illegitimate son named Tom Bronson, who is also Wildcat.

Alan Scott has two children with his wife Rose & Thorn, Jade who was a ****e and was killed in Infinite Crisis and Obsidian, who is gay.

Animal Man has children with his wife.

Adam Strange has a daughter named Aleea with his wife Alanna.

I thought Bruce Adopted Tim when his father died.

My thoughts:

No you misunderstand the idea of Superman having a child is not disliked in fact they did it in the comics with Last Son and if not for the delays it was pretty much well received. The reason why it was disliked in Superman Returns though was not because they gave him a child but how they did it. You don't let Superman and Lois have a child with her not knowing that he is really Clark Kent or her knowing even though Superman plays dumb to the thought (much like Superman: Doomsday). Second you can't give them a child have him be gone for five years of the childs life and let another man rasie the child thinking that it is his. This is why the idea was disliked in Superman Returns because it was done in the wrong way. How ever the way it was done in the comics and how Christopher was written it worked.

No you misunderstand the idea of Superman having a child is not disliked in fact they did it in the comics with Last Son and if not for the delays it was pretty much well received. The reason why it was disliked in Superman Returns though was not because they gave him a child but how they did it. You don't let Superman and Lois have a child with her not knowing that he is really Clark Kent or her knowing even though Superman plays dumb to the thought (much like Superman: Doomsday). Second you can't give them a child have him be gone for five years of the childs life and let another man rasie the child thinking that it is his. This is why the idea was disliked in Superman Returns because it was done in the wrong way. How ever the way it was done in the comics and how Christopher was written it worked.

I'm okay with Superman having a child, it's just in Superman Returns, his son was a love child and that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Superman is a beacon of morals and I would of imagined he would have waited for marriage to get it on, or be realistic and use a contraceptive.

As for Hector Hall, what is going on with him? Is he living in the Helmet of Nabu or in that other dimesion? I really liked him in JSA and he is currently nowhere to be found. I didn't follow the whole Dr.Fate comics that came out recently, I wasn't fond of Hector not being Fate.

Hector and everyone else in that Fate dimension seem to have been forgotten. The Helm of Fate wound up with Kent Nelson, who's not the same Kent Nelson as the original Dr. Fate.

Green Arrow I and his son Green Arrow II. Connor Hawke is the only "omg guess what, you're my DADDY!" child I think was a hit. People love Connor, and he wasn't the stereotypical "omg I hate you because you were not in my life" child either. I think that is another reason why people seemed to generally like Wildcat's son recently revealed in JSA. He too is real cool and understanding about why his father wasn't there, and he isn't a monk like Connor so it shows he is mature.

Those are the only 2 I can recall. I don't count Lian Harper only because she is a small child and is growing up with her father in her life.

As in, Connor is disciplined in the ways of a monk. Not surprising he wouldn't flip out or be angry with his father and not surprising that he would be understanding. Wildcat's son? He's a normal kid, but he's cool with it all and understands.

Wow! So a lot of superheroes have kids. So why do you guys/gals think Superman having a kid in Superman Returns was so widely panned????

Because of the way it was presented. Superman f***ed Lois and then ran away, leaving his kid to be raised by a much better man than he was shown to be, so Superman's only choices were to break up a family or continue to be a deadbeat dad, hiding the truth of his son's heritage from him. Only Superman's supposed to be the idealized man. Do you see the conflict there? Superman as a deadbeat dad just doesn't make any sense at all.

Yeah pretty much that. The movie just wrote itself into a corner. Superman + Lois having a kid = pretty cool. Superman knocking Lois up before even telling her that he's Clark, then forgetting about the fact that he had unprotected premarital sex with a woman to fly away for five years without a goodbye, and then having the kid be raised by Cyclops = less cool.

On the other hand, Cyclops came off a lot better in Superman Returns than any of the X-Men movies. Poor bastard had all his good material stolen by Wolverine. :o

In my personal canon, Jean merely took away Cyke's optic blasts and then teleported him into the DCU.

:O:up:

Yeah pretty much that. The movie just wrote itself into a corner. Superman + Lois having a kid = pretty cool. Superman knocking Lois up before even telling her that he's Clark, then forgetting about the fact that he had unprotected premarital sex with a woman to fly away for five years without a goodbye, and then having the kid be raised by Cyclops = less cool.
To be fair we don't know if he had unprotected sex with her or not. You can have a kid even though you use a condom.

by who? i frickin hate chris kent... he sucks... send him back to zod...

youre the only one ive talked to that liked the addition of the whiney snot... im not against clark and lois having children... i just hate instant-kid that mirrors that crappy donner redux

I would've preferred Lois and Clark simply having a child and being parents over the convoluted nonsense with Chris Kent being the son of the true Zod, who's not any of the Zods we've seen before, and then that Zod goes away and Clark and Lois end up adopting Chris but not really, he just sort of lives with them, and then out of nowhere he doesn't live with them anymore and no one knows where the hell he went.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"