• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Deadpool 2 Deadpool 2 News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just so strange to see this happening. The film actually came in UNDER budget and made a sh**-ton more than anyone expected. AND it was praised by fans and critics. And yet people are jumping ship. I mean, I would expect this after a crapfest like X-Men: Apocalypse or Suicide Squad. But Deadpool got pretty much everything right. And it seemed like everyone involved loved making the first one. It's a shame to see this happening.

What's concerning to me is how dismissive people are towards the people who made the movie they liked/loved.
People brushed off Tim Miller leaving like it was nothing. Which isn't fair to the guy who poured his heart into the first Deadpool, and delivered more than anyone would've ever expected on his feature film debut (and even to critical acclaim).
It's disheartening how little people care about the very people who did such spectacular work.
We Deadpool fans owe a lot to Tim Miller, who worked as hard as anyone else to get the movie made.
It seems like nowadays people think movies are made out of thin air.

I get that Ryan Reynolds is perfect as Deadpool, produced the first movie and has the right passion and knowledge to shepherd the project. But that alone doesn't get a (great) movie made.
In the 1990s actors like Eddie Murphy and Kevin Costner would constantly play 'power games' with the directors working on 'their' projects, fighting over how they should do their jobs. And look how that turned out. Maybe no one knows how to do Eddie Murphy shtick better than Eddie Murphy, but he still needed a Walter Hil, Martin Brest, John Landis etc. to make a great movie out of that. I guess Norbit didn't turn out to be quite the comedy classic like Coming to America was without someone like John Landis at the helm, huh?

Then again I hope that they get a great director on board for Deadpool 2 and we can all just look forward to the sequel. But still, this is far from a great start for the project. And yeah, Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) is perfectly right when he says that (right now, I add) this just doesn't feel right without Tim Miller. And that's from someone who WORKED on the original, and not just a movie fan posting on message boards like I am.

Last edited:
Is it really? If anything, the MCU has shown that the creatives are far less important than the FRANCHISE.

It will be a bit different, sure. But, I don't necessarily see why that is a cause for concern. At this point, I fail to see why there is cause for concern. This movie will be made. I'm sad that Gareth Edwards is leaving Godzilla 2. But, that doesn't mean I am concerned about that film.

Is it really? If anything, the MCU has shown that the creatives are far less important than the FRANCHISE.

It will be a bit different, sure. But, I don't necessarily see why that is a cause for concern. At this point, I fail to see why there is cause for concern. This movie will be made. I'm sad that Gareth Edwards is leaving Godzilla 2. But, that doesn't mean I am concerned about that film.

Yeah, I'm not madly in love with Kevin Feige, Marvel Studios and their movies, and I don't find their method to be the Holy Grail of filmmaking (at all). I'll take a more personal, director's driven approach over an almost automated, commitee-driven one any day.

My favorite Marvel movies are those where you can see the director's sensibility shining through (I LOVE Shane Black's anarchic Iron Man 3).

And (luckily) Deadpool had Tim Miller's fingerprints all over it and was his baby as much as Ryan Reynolds' and the writers'. So, yeah, 'the creatives' do matter.

What's concerning to me is how dismissive people are towards the people who made the movie they liked/loved.
People brushed off Tim Miller leaving like it was nothing. Which isn't fair to the guy who poured his heart into the first Deadpool, and delivered more than anyone would've ever expected on his feature film debut (and even to critical acclaim).
It's disheartening how little people care about the very people who did such spectacular work.
We Deadpool fans owe a lot to Tim Miller, who worked as hard as anyone else to get the movie made.
It seems like nowadays people think movies are made out of thin air.

I get that Ryan Reynolds is perfect as Deadpool, produced the first movie and has the right passion and knowledge to shepherd the project. But that alone doesn't get a (great) movie made.
In the 1990s actors like Eddie Murphy and Kevin Costner would constantly play 'power games' with the directors working on 'their' projects, fighting over how they should do their jobs. And look how that turned out. Maybe no one knows how to do Eddie Murphy shtick better than Eddie Murphy, but he still needed a Walter Hil, Martin Brest, John Landis etc. to make a great movie out of that. I guess Norbit didn't turn out to be quite the comedy classic like Coming to America was without someone like John Landis at the helm, huh?

Then again I hope that they get a great director on board for Deadpool 2 and we can all just look forward to the sequel. But still, this is far from a great start for the project. And yeah, Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) is perfectly right when he says that (right now, I add) this just doesn't feel right without Tim Miller. And that's from someone who WORKED on the original, and not just a movie fan posting on message boards like I am.

no one is dismissing them or their contributions it is just not the end of the world and they can find good worthy replacements

no one is dismissing them or their contributions it is just not the end of the world and they can find good worthy replacements

Actually, lots of people ARE dismissing their contributions.

Well, this really sucks. Loved the Deadpool soundtrack and what JXL contributed.

How awesome was that Michael Jackson synth coming through the sunroof when DP came in to kick ass in the freeway scene? Was a whole lot of awesome.

JXL knew the tone here. His presence will most def be missed.

How awesome was that Michael Jackson synth coming through the sunroof when DP came in to kick ass in the freeway scene? Was a whole lot of awesome.

I know, right?

I also love the sudden switch in tone between the part where Deadpool kicks the helmet off of Ajax's head and him revealing his identity.

Or that one sound when Deadpool pops up behind 'Mr. Smith' in the warehouse, following the 'Deadpool Rap' montage.

Actually, lots of people ARE dismissing their contributions.

They may be, but I'm honestly seeing far more people saying that others are dismissing their contributions than people dismissing them. Most people I'm seeing think the film can recover, not that Tim Miller wasn't important to the first one. Even more people agree that, regardless, you have to choose Ryan Reynolds over Tim Miller. A Deadpool recast would hurt the film's success far more than a change in vision.

^exactly
Him leaving is sad and unfortunate, but not the end of the franchise

and also, remember the credits, the real heroes were the writers
a healthy chunk of their exact words ended up directly on screen, so they had just as much to do with the 'vision' as Miller

You still need a director to turn those words into an actual (great) movie. Another director could've taken the exact same script, and turned it into an average movie.

I'm not saying the sequel is doomed. But they better get a great director on board.

its true, but with how strong that script already was, they should have plenty of options for directors who could do it justice. The visuals may suffer because of Miller's vfx background, but maybe the next director will focus more on characterization and give us a more layered Deadpool and a more fully realized villain. The best thing about the character in the comics is the balance of silliness with real pathos, a different director may be able to hit that balance better.

There is a difference. Fox doesn't have a force like Feige to keep it all together. Look at how wildly the quality of the X-Men movies has varied.

its true, but with how strong that script already was, they should have plenty of options for directors who could do it justice. The visuals may suffer because of Miller's vfx background, but maybe the next director will focus more on characterization and give us a more layered Deadpool and a more fully realized villain. The best thing about the character in the comics is the balance of silliness with real pathos, a different director may be able to hit that balance better.
Are you suggest Deadpool wasn't layered in the first film? Or that the film wasn't character driven? Yeah, I completely disagree. It was a love story, and based all around Deadpool's emotions and thus character.

It wasn't just the effects. Miller's comedic timing with his editing, his shot framing and the all around construction of the movie was high, high quality.

We just had a guy explain how important Miller was, one who actually worked on the movie. It is telling.

You still need a director to turn those words into an actual (great) movie. Another director could've taken the exact same script, and turned it into an average movie.

I'm not saying the sequel is doomed. But they better get a great director on board.

I'm not disagreeing, but I think they can get a replacement director. I don't think you want to be in that position if you can avoid it, but I also don't think you want to be in the position of replacing Ryan Reynolds and then convincing the audience that the movie is worth watching with a different actor.

If they get David Leitch, for example, I think that would be a solid replacement.

http://www.whatsfilming.ca/upcoming/

Screen-Shot-2016-11-06-at-4.43.03-pm.png

So Deadpool 2 is set to begin production in January 2017 ...... I guess....

I wonder if they're casting and doing preproduction without a director? I feel like that doesn't end up all that well most of the time.

(EXCLUSIVE) Don't worry, I've been told by a very trusted source that Ryan Reynolds is the film's new casting director, composer, director of photography, production designer and visual effects supervisor. There has been a problem with the DGA, so someone else will have to take his director's credit.
You've heard it here first!

Last edited:
BREAKING: Ryan Reynolds to play all the roles in Deadpool 2, Eddie Murphy style!

Weintraub denies that the film is starting in January, even when Miller was on board. So that's reassuring to hear.

Yup, Collider has published a report on the start date rumors. Seems like Tim Miller was planning to start filming in March and of course him leaving delays plans for a bit.

Rumors has it that Deadpool 3 and X-Force will be absorted into one movie.
A.k.a. Deadpool 3 will be the X-Force movie.

Which would be a great decision. What's even better is that it seems like David Leitch is definitely in talks to direct Deadpool 2 now:

Fox's X-Men Issues: Jennifer Lawrence Unsigned, 'Deadpool' Defections, 'Gambit' on Hold

A reboot of the diminishing mutant movie series is in the works as Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine heads for retirement and a studio's $4 billion franchise sits in flux. With the summer release of X-Men: Apocalypse behind it and a Deadpool sequel hitting a speed bump, 20th Century Fox is finding its superhero franchise at another type of X: a crossroads.
Fox has had movie rights to Marvel's X-Men characters since the 1990s, well before Marvel became its own studio and Fox ostensibly launched the modern comic book movie with 2000's X-Men. But now, after some highs, lows and one reset (2011's X-Men: First Class), there are signs of wear and tear on a franchise that has grossed more than $4 billion.
Apocalypse, directed by Bryan Singer, earned $544 million worldwide, a sharp drop from the $748 million made by previous entry X-Men: Days of Future Past. What's more, stars Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Nicholas Hoult have come to the end of their three-picture contracts. If new studio chairman Stacey Snider wants them to return, they won't come cheap. "You're gauged by the success of the franchise," says box-office analyst Paul Degarabedian. "This one didn't engender the love of previous movies. It's time to go back to the drawing board."
There are other signs of paint chipping as well. Fox's solidly performing Wolverine spinoff series winds down with Logan (March 3), which is meant to be the last of the Hugh Jackman-fronted movies. (The movie just released a trailer which insiders say was the most watched spot in the history of the X-Men franchise.) In addition, Gambit, a solo spinoff movie to star Channing Tatum, failed to start production this year as planned and in August lost its director, Doug Liman.

And in perhaps the most unexpected development, Deadpool director Tim Miller pulled out of the sequel Oct. 22 after feuding with star Ryan Reynolds. (His composer Tom Holkenborg soon followed.) Deadpool was a surprise massive hit ($782.6 million) in February, so the studio has moved quickly to fill the sequel's director chair, with John Wick's David Leitch now in negotiations. And in a sign of how much faith it has in the Reynolds-starring franchise, Fox already is planning Deadpool 3, readying a filmmaker search for a storyline that will involve another X-team, X-Force, say sources.
Elsewhere, the reset button has been pressed. Sources say the flagship series will be reconfigured, with Simon Kinberg, overseer of the franchise as producer and writer, working on a new script. Singer, who directed four X-Men movies, will not be returning, according to insiders, but the script is being written with Lawrence, Fassbender and McAvoy optimistically in mind.
And after being on hold as Tatum shot Steven Soderbergh’s Logan Lucky, Gambit should move back into active development with a new filmmaker.
One of Fox's best hopes may be The New Mutants, a spinoff featuring superpowered teens with some overlap with the flagship X-Men. According to sources, director Josh Boone (The Fault in Our Stars) could even begin rolling cameras by spring.

David Leitch is probally going to direct Deadpool 2,and fox is merging Deadpool 3 and X-force into one film.Civil war was basicly both captain America film and a avengers film.
and it seems they are already looking for a director to do Deadpool 3/X-force.

David Leitch is probally going to direct Deadpool 2,and fox is merging Deadpool 3 and X-force into one film.Civil war was basicly both captain America film and a avengers film.
and it seems they are already looking for a director to do Deadpool 3/X-force.

Which is weird, unless they've decided to have a new director on each movie (like the Alien franchise) after Tim Miller's departure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"