The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

So I need to do a scene by scene dissection of how awful it is? I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.

But to reiterate : Unfocused and Wafer-thin plot, beyond overstuffed, the film had no idea what plot it wanted to use, underdeveloped characters, this film was literally a teaser for "things to come" as opposed to being a stand alone film, hell this doesn't even feel like a sequel to the freakin' film it was preceded by. Also the fact that it took a steamy dump on Spider-Man and his world hurts it way...way more.

Nobody on this forum does a scene by scene dissection of why they hate or like a movie.

Can you link me these explanations?

Particularly, a detailed analysis, scene by scene, of why this movie is poor?

People keep saying "It's obvious, we already have"

I'm sure we haven't, not one person on this entire board has attempted to justify the fundamental flaws in the first scene of TASM2.

So, what we can gather from that is, yes indeed, people are too harsh on the film.

Please prove me wrong.

I don't argue with people who don't respect other's opinions, and as several had said, if you want proof, just look over all the boards. And as you said, this thread is mainly about does the movie deserve the hate, and you question why we are not focusing on that, and it is something you should consider. I stated that the movie's hate wasn't helped by the other three praised comic book movies that came out this year, and then it was blown way out of what point I was trying to make.

While I don't really see the point in this thread because we already have a thread about is the movie underrated and this is bascily the same thing but no this movie dose not deserve the hate at all not even close. This movie should be loved by mostly ever one and should be a 90 or at least a 80 on RT. This movie is really a love or hate movie with no in between. Sm 2 the sm movie that most people consider the best I would say like 70% of people thought the movie was really good to great and like 20% thought it was good to ok and only like 10% thought it was bad. With this movie I would say it is like 45% think it is really good to great and 45% think it is the worse movie and only 10% think it is ok. So any way the complaints I hear about this movie are these.

1. The movie is to cheesy.
2. Harry was rushed
3. Electro development
4. To many plots/pacing
5. The movie was all over the place didn't know if it want to be dark or not

1. How can any one say this movie is to cheesy? SM 1-3 where just has cheesy if not more so how come people don't complain about those movies been to cheesy? The only chessy thing was max talking to him self about spider man in his apartment and peter with the fish in the scence of him coming home has spider man and electro saying its my birthday line. That is like 3 minutes of a movie. 3 cheesy minutes in a movie makes a movie cheesy? Ok then. Spider man charteristics in this movie where perfect and Garfield is just perfect has spider man and a lot of funny moments. I have learned that spider man being a wise guy and being funny = cheesy to people. I didn't know that funny was cheesy and I gusse people want the quite doesn't make jokes spider man form sm 1-3 back. People hate like this movie is tmnt cheesy form the old movies with the way they talk about it or even power rangers. While I still like mighty morphen power rangers man it is cheesy and this movie is not even close to that but with the way people talk about it you would think it was on that level.

2. Harry was not rushed could he have been better yes and the delected scences would have help a good amont but still he was not bad. He was desspert to find a way to keep him self alive and felt like peter didn't want to help him and when people are desspert they will do some crazy things. Also even if harry and peters scencs where short they would good and I felt they had chemistry and felt like they really wore friends. Now harry was better in sm 1-3 because he had 3 movies to bulid up compared to this 1 movie but I am sure we are going to see more of harry in the next one so this was just a bulid up. Even if gobin wasn't in the movie long the fight was still good has it was a fast pace very intiss fight with peter trying to save gwen and the part when he puts his foot on the clock thing to try to keep it form movining was just great.

3. Electro you could already see he was kind of unstable and crazy before he got his powers when he was max and he felt like no one cared about him and kind of like harry felt betrade. Also the last fight at the power plant was great the second best fight in a sm movie behind only the train fight in sm2.

4. Really there where not that many plots the story was mostly about peter and gweens relationship and peter trying to find out about his parents. Peter and gweens relationship was great has you could really see how peter cares about gwen and wants to keep his peromise to her dad but how at the same time to stay away form gwen is really hard for him has he really loves him. Also I never felt like peters parents took away form the movie has I felt there where just enough scences to not take away form the villians and to not take away form gwen and his ant may so to me the pacing was just find.

5. The movie was dark when it need to be like gwens death and was more ligh hearted when it need to be like the truck chase at the beginning.

Also the action in this movie is by far the second best in a sm movie yet. I know a few people said something about did he even though a bunch in the movie or something. But one thing I love is in sm 1-3 he though a lot more bunches but he didn't use his webs has much. In both asm1 and 2 he didn't though has many bunches but he used his webs a lot more witch I felt was a nice change in pace has his webs are one of the things sm is really now for so really when it comes to fighting sm 1-3 and asm1 and asm2 are a lot different but all pretty good. Also this movie has one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard. I have no idea why any one would want the composer form asm1 back has the music in that one was by far the worse music in a sm movie. This movie has the best soundtrack in a sm movie yet. Also the songs they picked for the movie like gone gone gone where really good choices to.

1. How can any one say this movie is to cheesy? SM 1-3 where just has cheesy if not more so how come people don't complain about those movies been to cheesy? The only chessy thing was max talking to him self about spider man in his apartment and peter with the fish in the scence of him coming home has spider man and electro saying its my birthday line. That is like 3 minutes of a movie. 3 cheesy minutes in a movie makes a movie cheesy? Ok then. Spider man charteristics in this movie where perfect and Garfield is just perfect has spider man and a lot of funny moments. I have learned that spider man being a wise guy and being funny = cheesy to people. I didn't know that funny was cheesy and I gusse people want the quite doesn't make jokes spider man form sm 1-3 back. People hate like this movie is tmnt cheesy form the old movies with the way they talk about it or even power rangers. While I still like mighty morphen power rangers man it is cheesy and this movie is not even close to that but with the way people talk about it you would think it was on that level.

The scenes with Max Dillon by themselves are more cheesy than anything we've seen in a comic book movie since Batman and Robin. Alexsi/Rhino was complete cheese. Electro was cheesy. The Goblin looked like a troll doll on meth. The dub step in the final battle, Dr. Kafka....the cheesiness is abundant.

2. Harry was not rushed could he have been better yes and the delected scences would have help a good amont but still he was not bad. He was desspert to find a way to keep him self alive and felt like peter didn't want to help him and when people are desspert they will do some crazy things. Also even if harry and peters scencs where short they would good and I felt they had chemistry and felt like they really wore friends. Now harry was better in sm 1-3 because he had 3 movies to bulid up compared to this 1 movie but I am sure we are going to see more of harry in the next one so this was just a bulid up. Even if gobin wasn't in the movie long the fight was still good has it was a fast pace very intiss fight with peter trying to save gwen and the part when he puts his foot on the clock thing to try to keep it form movining was just great.

Harry was rushed. They just bring him into his first scene and say he is sick. He gets one scene to act like a friend with Peter, then the rest of the movie is just angry Harry looking for a cure. There's no development. Not of Harry or his friendship with Peter Parker. They did not feel like they were friends who knew each other from years ago. They were like two strangers.

3. Electro you could already see he was kind of unstable and crazy before he got his powers when he was max and he felt like no one cared about him and kind of like harry felt betrade. Also the last fight at the power plant was great the second best fight in a sm movie behind only the train fight in sm2.

Electro was just a silly attention seeker who had only met Spider-Man for about 20 seconds lol. He was a stupid excuse of a villain. He spent most of the time in that prison.

4. Really there where not that many plots the story was mostly about peter and gweens relationship and peter trying to find out about his parents. Peter and gweens relationship was great has you could really see how peter cares about gwen and wants to keep his peromise to her dad but how at the same time to stay away form gwen is really hard for him has he really loves him. Also I never felt like peters parents took away form the movie has I felt there where just enough scences to not take away form the villians and to not take away form gwen and his ant may so to me the pacing was just find.

Peter and Gwen, Peter and Harry, Harry's cure, Electro, the parents storyline, and none of them felt naturally connected, and all of them except for Peter and Gwen got rushed and under developed. It was too messy and too packed.

5. The movie was dark when it need to be like gwens death and was more ligh hearted when it need to be like the truck chase at the beginning.

That is where the inconsistent tones come in. The movie didn't know what it wanted to be.

Also the action in this movie is by far the second best in a sm movie yet.

The action was all forgettable. I think The Amazing Spider-Man had better action.

Indeed. It's a fabulous representation of Spidey himself, perhaps the best. I can't see how this film disrespects the character, but anyway. Some like it, some don't. What I deemed to be niggles, or actually likes, were massive big deals for others. I'm buying the Blu-ray this week and I'm excited.
I really can't find myself buying the blu-ray. The bad scenes in the movie were just so bad to the point where the movie was so mindbogglingly frustrating over how inconsistent in quality it was. Seriously, I didn't think that level of inconsistency was humanly possible. It was a roller coaster that alternated between pure greatness and absolute ****.

I mean, I've seen movies with great ideas that were just poorly executed (the RoboCop reboot), or a movie that started out great but ended poorly (the Sixth Sense), or a movie that is so bad that it's good (Sharknado), or a movie that just flat out sucked (Transformers: Age of Extinction), or a good movie that has the occasional cringe worthy moments (X-Men). But I have never seen a movie that consistently alternated between awesome and horrible like the Amazing Spider-Man 2.

The scenes with Max Dillon by themselves are more cheesy than anything we've seen in a comic book movie since Batman and Robin. Alexsi/Rhino was complete cheese. Electro was cheesy. The Goblin looked like a troll doll on meth. The dub step in the final battle, Dr. Kafka....the cheesiness is abundant.
I didn't see cheese as a problem, nor was I frightfully afraid of it being present in Spider-Man. It was a component which I felt was lacking in the first TASM film.
They did not feel like they were friends who knew each other from years ago. They were like two strangers.
Yes, they were. In this film they hadn't seen each other for years and years. Harry says meeting Peter again is like "seeing a ghost."
Electro was just a silly attention seeker who had only met Spider-Man for about 20 seconds lol.
Indeed. He ballooned that brief encounter into something substantial because he's nuts.
The action was all forgettable. I think The Amazing Spider-Man had better action.
The Raimi series has the better overall action, definitely.

Do you expect us to go rooting through the board archives for the last four months trying to find you posts that explain in a scene by scene analysis of why the movie was bad?

Who makes posts like that where they break down each individual scene out of an entire movie to criticize it? Can you find some posts that do the opposite and give a scene by scene description of why the movie is good?

When people say it's obvious they already have it's because they have said many times why this movie is bad. From the cheesy acting from the cast, to the inconsistent tone in the movie, to the under development of many of the main characters, to the rushed plots and so forth. It's been done to death.

You're setting an impossible task asking for posts that taken the movie apart scene for scene. I've never seen anyone do that here for any movie. I don't think you have either. If you have then show us and prove us wrong.

Nobody on this forum does a scene by scene dissection of why they hate or like a movie.

I don't argue with people who don't respect other's opinions, and as several had said, if you want proof, just look over all the boards. And as you said, this thread is mainly about does the movie deserve the hate, and you question why we are not focusing on that, and it is something you should consider. I stated that the movie's hate wasn't helped by the other three praised comic book movies that came out this year, and then it was blown way out of what point I was trying to make.

Woopsies, got too excited there clearly. Obviously a scene by scene thing all in one isn't going to work.

I thought, maybe, that we could discuss the film bit by bit, but you guys seem not willing to do that?

Heck, I asked you guys to do one scene, just one, analyse the stuff that supported your previous opinions...

You couldn't do that.

Do you see how that makes your opinion seem really weak? Not wrong, but weak?

I was expecting this, I was expecting the lack of a response, the the combined agitated response the second I misspeak, and then the turning around of the discussion, the "why do you think this is good then?".

Saying that it has never happened before proves my point, the discussion on these boards has degenerated, my attempts at intelligent, justified discussions have been met with such offense by others so quickly.

You guys seem so confident in your opinions, and then when called out on it, cannot produce a shred of a credible explanation to support your cause. You keep saying that it's on these boards, and yet cannot find one single example of such an explanation.

Anyway, my thought experiment is complete, you clearly cannot justify your opinions, or are unwilling to, so lets go back to memes and hyperbole I suppose...

Harry was rushed. They just bring him into his first scene and say he is sick. He gets one scene to act like a friend with Peter, then the rest of the movie is just angry Harry looking for a cure. There's no development. Not of Harry or his friendship with Peter Parker. They did not feel like they were friends who knew each other from years ago. They were like two strangers.

Electro was just a silly attention seeker who had only met Spider-Man for about 20 seconds lol. He was a stupid excuse of a villain. He spent most of the time in that prison.

Peter and Gwen, Peter and Harry, Harry's cure, Electro, the parents storyline, and none of them felt naturally connected, and all of them except for Peter and Gwen got rushed and under developed. It was too messy and too packed.

That is where the inconsistent tones come in. The movie didn't know what it wanted to be.

Nothing in this movie was has chessy has peter with the cokies or dancing stuff in sm3 or even the rain drops keep falling on my head form sm2 and I know there are some other ones if I went back and watched sm1-3 again. Gobin should have looked different I will give you that but that doesn't mean he looked cheesy. The music in the final battle was just epic so what ever.

The felt like friends to me that hadn't seen eatch other for a long time so they where not has close has they used to be but still felt like friends. Also for the delected scences would have improved this.

Lol its not even close. The asm2 all 3 fights are much better then any of the fights in asm1.

Not quite he felt like no one liked him and that scence when he emages attacking his boss should he was already crazy and could snap. I do think he was worse then harry though.

It felt completely naturally to me. The inconsistent tones are just crazy.

The movie wasn't that good, but it wasn't bad.

but what I don't get is, how the majority consider Spider-Man 2 a great movie, I mean it's very good but I don't see something in it that makes me remember it or live with it (like The Dark Knight Trilogy or X-Men First Class and DoFP for example), I watched Raimi's Trilogy twice, and it's all just watchable, enjoyable and forgettable. nothing more. no epicness. same for the Amazing Spider-Man franchise.

The movie wasn't that good, but it wasn't bad.

but what I don't get is, how the majority consider Spider-Man 2 a great movie, I mean it's very good but I don't see something in it that makes me remember it or live with it (like The Dark Knight Trilogy or X-Men First Class and DoFP for example), I watched Raimi's Trilogy twice, and it's all just watchable, enjoyable and forgettable. nothing more. no epicness. same for the Amazing Spider-Man franchise.

SM2 its milles better then xmen dofp or most super hero movies. 1 it has one of the best villians in a cbm in doc ock. 2. The train fight is still the best action scence in a CBM yet. 3 just a great story.

Nope.

Not at all.

Not in the slightest.

To be honest... it's really ****ing sad that some people think ASM2 is better than SM1 and SM2. :csad::csad:

To be honest... it's really ****ing sad that some people think ASM2 is better than SM1 and SM2. :csad::csad:

I wouldn't say that about sm1 has sm1 has not aged while and is now the worse movie out of the 5 spider man movies. I think the more sad thing is that people are not recinize that sm2 is still a top 5 CBM. SM 2 has now became maybe the most underrated CBM ever and sm1 is not even a top 10 CBM ever top 15 probly but I have around 11 or so I would put above sm1.

K

Anyone willing to point out what's wrong with the opening scene of TASM2? Almost the 12th hour anniversary of the question, still no answers...

I'll start you off with something to disagree with;

The opening of TASM2 effectively blends action and emotion whilst introducing the main themes of the film. We see the theme of Time with the very first shot of the film, whilst the theme of "What begets a hero" is clearly shown, Richard Parker is faced with perhaps the greatest loss of hope of all, the loss of his wife and his impending doom, yet still manages to maintain a heroic persona to the very end, sending off the message that will eventually guide his son as he grows. This theme is then further portrayed through the development of villians in the film, the time theme also pops up regularly. The opening scene is therefore not simply exposition, it's the coverpage of a thematic narrative, fading into the only appropriate scene, the spider-man symbol, into spidey's opening swing...

K

Anyone willing to point out what's wrong with the opening scene of TASM2? Almost the 12th hour anniversary of the question, still no answers...

I'll start you off with something to disagree with;

I didn't think any one said there was anything wrong with the opening scene in asm2 that is new to me?

I like what you said after the thing about start you off with something to disagree with.

I didn't think any one said there was anything wrong with the opening scene in asm2 that is new to me?

Bingo!!

Anyone disagree? Surely the worst CBM ever has a poor opening scene?

If not, let's move on to the Truck Chase Scene, and how it is worse than other CBM's!

Fun times ahead!!

Bingo!!

Anyone disagree? Surely the worst CBM ever has a poor opening scene?

If not, let's move on to the Truck Chase Scene, and how it is worse than other CBM's!

Fun times ahead!!

Oh you want a break down scene by scene the whole movie lol. While the truck chase sucked because it had a delected scene that could have made it better:cwink:

W2DiXlT.gif

Personally, speaking only for myself...I think the thing that really frustrates me the most is the amount of potential that was "wasted" in the making of this film.

I mean they had GREAT CAST to work with, everyone (for the most part) had awesome chemistry with each other....the visuals were great, along with the action scenes themselves.

But the things that they were LACKING in the MOST was both "Clarity" and a sense of a clear "Direction".

They crammed in so many different plots in this film, that felt like were inserted only to be resolved in future films...thus the lack of payoffs that this film presented was even more disappointing to see.

Don't get me wrong...this is nowhere as bad as the likes of "Batman and Robin" or "Green Lantern" imho....when it comes to "film-making"...this film was really well made on a technical point.

But aside from that...here are my biggest issues with the film:

1. Lack of a Clear and Definitive Arc for Peter Parker. He was more reactive than proactive in this film. Hell, even Brandon's Superman had a more clear arc in "Superman Returns".

2. The film having dragged out what was painfully obvious (and not really all that enticing) when it came to the "Untold Story" involving Peter's Parents.

3. Uncle Ben getting the shaft regarding his importance in Peter's life.

4. The portrayal of Electro and Rhino. My god, they were the kind of villains that Joel would have loved and flourished on for his Batman films.

5. Dane was a EXCELLENT Harry Osborn; perhaps more so than Franco's one. It's his Goblin that was incredibly lame..hell, he got defeated the easiest and fastest out of any Spider-Man villain in the history of Spider-Man films.

Plus, if I didn't know it any better...I would say that the filmmakers really wanted (or couldn't think of anything else better to use) to do the whole "Spider-Man No More" arc but realized that they couldn't completely do it since it had been done before, thus they tried to make it feel "different' by inserting in the whole Parents Issue.

And for a film that keeps reminding us by News Clips and Montage Phone Calls about how "Wary" the people of NYC are of Spider-Man, they clearly didn't do a great job in SHOWING that since EVERYONE LOVED Spider-Man on screen.

I also want to make a small breakdown of the opening, because there are a few things that i would like to say. I'll be watching the movie at the same time. Let's do this, BRAB.

The first shot of the film is the inner workings of a wrist watch. As the camera pulls back, we get to see the gears all working together and the theme of the film is already obvious. Time.

A man is typing on a keyboard. It's Richard Parker. It seems that he is deleting something in his computer. He, then, takes a poisonous gas and kills the infamous spiders. He realizes that he is in trouble when his access to the system is denied, so he takes his briefcase and leaves. It's all pretty good so far.

Then we see him leaving a video file in his computer saying that "People will say i'm a monster for what i've done. I always thought that i would have a little more time." This line took me a little out of the moment, because it feels like the filmmakers try to shove the themes of the film down our throats. First, we have the wrist watch, which is completely fine, but then we also get this line, which kinda defeats the film's primary rule for me, "Show, not tell". It's not just this scene. There is another scene later, between Norman and Harry, which is basically all exposition. This film feels like the exact opposite of TASM. Whereas TASM had plenty of scenes where the audience had to think for themselves a little, a lot of things in this film are just explained. Maybe i'm overreacting with this particular scene, but i'm merely expressing a problem that i had with the film.

Moving on, this time around we see things from Richard's perspective as opposed to the first film where we saw things from Peter's perspective. We again see Richard leaving Peter at Uncle Ben's house and then we cut to an airplane. Richard is uploading a file to "Roosvelt" while having a conversation with Mary about how their life is going to be from now on.

We all know what happens next. A fight with a man that is hired to kill both of them follows. Mary is shot, the assassin flies away, and while the plane is half destroyed, Peter is still uploading the file to Roosvelt. I guess that you are going to have to suspend your disbelief here. This is also the only part of the film with shaky cam.

All in all, this is a solid opening with solid performances and i think that it was a good way to start the film.

I expect your comments and i'm ready to move on to the next sequence.

Last edited:
I also want to make a small breakdown of the opening, because there are a few things that i would like to say. I'll be watching the movie at the same time. Let's do this, BRAB.

The first shot of the film is the inner workings of a wrist watch. As the camera pulls back, we get to see the gears all working together and the theme of the film is already obvious. Time.

A man is typing on a keyboard. It's Richard Parker. It seems that he is deleting something in his computer. He, then, takes a poisonous gas and kills the infamous spiders. He realizes that he is in trouble when his access to the system is denied, so he takes his briefcase and leaves. It's all pretty good so far.

Then we see him leaving a video file in his computer saying that "People will say i'm a monster for what i've done. I always thought that i would have a little more time." This line took me a little out of the moment, because it feels like the filmmakers try to shove the themes of the film down our throats. First, we have the wrist watch, which is completely fine, but then we also get this line, which kinda defeats the film's primary rule for me, "Show, not tell". It's not just this scene. There is another scene later, between Norman and Harry, which is basically all exposition. This film feels like the exact opposite of TASM. Whereas TASM had plenty of scenes where the audience had to think for themselves a little, a lot of things in this film are just explained. Maybe i'm overreacting with this particular scene, but i'm merely expressing a problem that i had with the film.

Moving on, this time around we see things from Richard's perspective as opposed to the first film where we saw things from Peter's perspective. We again see Richard leaving Peter at Uncle Ben's house and then we cut to an airplane. Richard is uploading a file to "Roosvelt" while having a conversation with Mary about how their life is going to be from now on.

We all know what happens next. A fight with a man that is hired to kill both of them follows. Mary is shot, the assassin flies away, and while the plane is half destroyed, Peter is still uploading the file to Roosvelt. I guess that you are going to have to suspend your disbelief here. This is also the only part of the film with shaky cam.

All in all, this is a solid opening with solid performances and i think that it was a good way to start the film.

I expect your comments and i'm ready to move on to the next sequence.

I thought the way the actor playing Richard Parker delivered the word "time" made it feel like it was out of the film. So that's a really good point. I think if you go back into my posting history I was even miffed about that right after I saw it the first time!

I think the action sequence with the plane crashing displayed Richard pushing through adversity and doing good. I think it's synonomous with Peter's action's later in the film, and is the opposite of what Max Dillion and Harry do when they're faced with adversity. I think it's a really great theme that's tied up at the end of the film, and watching it back, I think, to me at least, they really were trying to Paint Richard to be on Par with Peter, which, when you look at the aternate ending, really starts to make a heck of a lot of sense.

I agree, I think the opening is solid.

Next scene would be Spidey Swinging down and confronting Alexsi for the first time right?

Also, before we move on, I thought I'd give anyone who disliked the film a chance to speak up about this particular scene, as Perry9, SM2 and myself have done...

This is the last big post I'm going to do on this film. I loved it, and now when I come here and just see the blind hate it makes me feel bad for loving it most out of all the Spider-Man films (on par with the first TASM) and that should not happen. So here we go, on why I think the hate is unfounded:

People always talk about the way it flip-flops in tone as a criticism. Well, that's what I loved about Spider-Man in the comics. The way that his very relatable teenage dramas and romances are juxtaposed with ridiculous animal-themed villains and big flashy fights across New York. It's part of the character. And really... Are you going to tell me that the instances of this are any different to those of the Raimi films? It reminds me of what the Nostalgia Critic once said; in Spider-Man 2, widely regarded by what seems like everyone but me as the best Spider-Man film, we have a heartfelt scene between the main characters... Immediately followed by an octopus man building a gigantic death machine. It's what happens in Spider-Man. The ridiculousness counteracted by the realistic is part of the character.

Speaking of which, this is where I come onto a perfect example of this that everyone complains about: Hammy Rhino at the end. And again, that is the point. Peter, who is hurting, who has lost someone in a very real and heartfelt way, has to drag himself back into the world of Spider-Man and fight a big mechasuit man with enough ham and cheese to feed the five thousand, because that's what it's about. That's what that scene is showing. No matter what happens to Peter, Spider-Man must always be there to fight the ridiculous.

Oh yes, and Green Goblin, the other big complaint... Okay so he doesn't look spot on to the comics. But, and speaking as someone who's favourite villain is ol' Green Goblin, Dane DeHaan nailed that role in his five minutes. I also quite liked the design, it had just enough realism to work but just enough nods to the classic costume to not be a total departure. Also, it looks unfinished, which I think is the key here. Goblin isn't finished yet, when he first appears he is not yet Spider-Man's greatest foe. I fully expect when he returns in future films, and he will, now that he is irrevocably Spidey's archnemesis after Gwen and is therefore "complete", he will appear as such and look closer to the comics.

Also, Electro. People say his motivation was not enough. Oh, sorry, should we have made that more like the original comics too? "Guy gets electric powers, decides to rob banks" is obviously so much more fleshed out that "Guy who's got obvious mental problems creates a delusion based on one incident and uses that as a crux of his terrible life, and when said delusion is shattered finally breaks". Again, yes he may be a cheesy villain, but so is every single bad guy to have ever appeared in a Spider-Man film!

Someone I know described this thusly; he said it's not the best Superhero film ever made, it's the best Comic Book movie ever made, in that he meant films like Avengers, The Dark Knight trilogy, etc., are superhero films because they are action movies and thrillers and so on with superheroes as the main characters, whereas TASM2 was the perfect CBM because it was literally a comic come to life. And I agree with that. For better or worse, it is a comic come to life. For better, because it is the best depiction of my favourite character ever come to life, and for worse because other people don't like the cheese factor straight from the comics which usually gets filtered out because most superhero films are not straight comic adaptions.

So yeah. I love The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and the above is a response to some major criticisms. Not all as there's so many, and some are too weak for me to bother with, others I just plain forgot because I see them as insignificant...

This is the last big post I'm going to do on this film. I loved it, and now when I come here and just see the blind hate it makes me feel bad for loving it most out of all the Spider-Man films (on par with the first TASM) and that should not happen. So here we go, on why I think the hate is unfounded:

People always talk about the way it flip-flops in tone as a criticism. Well, that's what I loved about Spider-Man in the comics. The way that his very relatable teenage dramas and romances are juxtaposed with ridiculous animal-themed villains and big flashy fights across New York. It's part of the character. And really... Are you going to tell me that the instances of this are any different to those of the Raimi films? It reminds me of what the Nostalgia Critic once said; in Spider-Man 2, widely regarded by what seems like everyone but me as the best Spider-Man film, we have a heartfelt scene between the main characters... Immediately followed by an octopus man building a gigantic death machine. It's what happens in Spider-Man. The ridiculousness counteracted by the realistic is part of the character.

Speaking of which, this is where I come onto a perfect example of this that everyone complains about: Hammy Rhino at the end. And again, that is the point. Peter, who is hurting, who has lost someone in a very real and heartfelt way, has to drag himself back into the world of Spider-Man and fight a big mechasuit man with enough ham and cheese to feed the five thousand, because that's what it's about. That's what that scene is showing. No matter what happens to Peter, Spider-Man must always be there to fight the ridiculous.

Oh yes, and Green Goblin, the other big complaint... Okay so he doesn't look spot on to the comics. But, and speaking as someone who's favourite villain is ol' Green Goblin, Dane DeHaan nailed that role in his five minutes. I also quite liked the design, it had just enough realism to work but just enough nods to the classic costume to not be a total departure. Also, it looks unfinished, which I think is the key here. Goblin isn't finished yet, when he first appears he is not yet Spider-Man's greatest foe. I fully expect when he returns in future films, and he will, now that he is irrevocably Spidey's archnemesis after Gwen and is therefore "complete", he will appear as such and look closer to the comics.

Also, Electro. People say his motivation was not enough. Oh, sorry, should we have made that more like the original comics too? "Guy gets electric powers, decides to rob banks" is obviously so much more fleshed out that "Guy who's got obvious mental problems creates a delusion based on one incident and uses that as a crux of his terrible life, and when said delusion is shattered finally breaks". Again, yes he may be a cheesy villain, but so is every single bad guy to have ever appeared in a Spider-Man film!

Someone I know described this thusly; he said it's not the best Superhero film ever made, it's the best Comic Book movie ever made, in that he meant films like Avengers, The Dark Knight trilogy, etc., are superhero films because they are action movies and thrillers and so on with superheroes as the main characters, whereas TASM2 was the perfect CBM because it was literally a comic come to life. And I agree with that. For better or worse, it is a comic come to life. For better, because it is the best depiction of my favourite character ever come to life, and for worse because other people don't like the cheese factor straight from the comics which usually gets filtered out because most superhero films are not straight comic adaptions.

So yeah. I love The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and the above is a response to some major criticisms. Not all as there's so many, and some are too weak for me to bother with, others I just plain forgot because I see them as insignificant...

Is this a analysis of the film out of list form? :wow:

:up: Exactly...

In all seriousness, I really do agree with you, I think TASM2 is extremely layered, and some are put off by the first layer, don't bother to go any deeper, and then spend the rest of the time complaining about how bad the first layer was!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"