The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Um... The parents angle was quite frankly the most uninteresting aspect ever put in a superhero movie. Peter's drive is uncleben not what happened to his parents. Then we have the whole magic blood crap it was ridiculous. What do you mean what was stuffed in? Read what you just typed. They put in all those characters and they did nothing to move the plot further they were there for fan service and nothing more. Remove them and they wouldn't effect the overall plot of the story. Putting to many characters in is what brings a franchise down cause you don't have time to develop them properly. Rhino wasn't even a character just some idiot in a mech suit. Could of been anybody.

What's wrong with having some fan service? Rhino and Felicia weren't really meant to move the plot forward (Smythe was and somewhat did with his relationship with Electro), nor did they take away with it, what with having little screentime.
That a character isn't developed much I don't think makes it bad that they appear (I can see the complaint that Rhino was wasted but the others seem like pretty quick and harmless setup for possible future roles).

Cause it just forced in? The movie suffered because to many characters forced into the story. Rhino was marketed to be bad guy 3 and they kept pushing some big battle to happen and it didn’t. And there’s a right way and a wrong way to do fan service, when you put to many character in at once the audience gets confused but balancing out is better. Like for example it’s better if those characters just made small cameos. The movie didn’t know what it wanted to be. Putting in characters and not developing them properly and just having them for fan service is not a way to make a movie. The movie should of just had electro. Also the sinister six is something you build up not throw together in some horrible cliffhanger ending.

Amazing 2 is a good movie that suffered due to it's lack of offering anything really new (besides you-know-what), and not being a Marvel film at the point where the Marvel fervour was becoming deafening.

I think fatigue was a big factor but that's partly the film's fault-it feels a lot more like the fifth movie made than just the second film.

No. That said, it's understandable.

1. It was a sequel to a reboot to a beloved franchise many didn't have faith in.

2. At the same time the marketing treated it like the second coming of TDK and as if they improved on everything everyone took issue with in the first place.

3. On top of that, the marketing for it was everywhere.

4. On top of that, many believed there hadn't been a good Spider-Man film in 10 years.

5. At the same time, Marvel and Fox were putting out great films that were actually as good as Sony pretended ASM2 was.

6. When the film came out, regardless of what you thought of it, huge chunks of it reeked of corporate politics.

7. The spinoffs and sequels they were announcing didn't reek of anything better.

By itself ASM2 isn't that bad of a film, but I can see how the context would create a stronger negative reaction to it. It wasn't just a matter of high expectations, it was a matter of Sony promising higher expectations at the same time. And then on top of that putting those expectations aside for a pseudo-shared universe to take advantage of moviegoers' wallets. Prior to FF and BvS coming out, it was the most cynical example of a superhero film being made that you could think of.

It deserves every drop of hatred it gets.

And no one will remember it but a few people. Now we have spidey where he belongs.

Spidey still belongs to Sony. And they're still doing crappy off shoots with it. We must be vigilant. Spidey can still slip down the tunnel of Hades and we may be back in the torturous days of ASM.

Ain't nobody wants that.

If they want no one to see there movie they better pray they keep him at home

Spidey still belongs to Sony. And they're still doing crappy off shoots with it. We must be vigilant. Spidey can still slip down the tunnel of Hades and we may be back in the torturous days of ASM.

Ain't nobody wants that.

I like the ideas of, and am surprised more people didn't like, a Spider-Man 2099 film (though it doesn't make a lot of commercial sense as it presumably would be particularly expensive) and a Spider-Woman film (though I'm not sure if that was the female spin-off they was considering).

Not to this degree.
Spidey can still slip down the tunnel of Hades and we may be back in the torturous days of ASM.

Ain't nobody wants that.
Never deserves this much hate.

Shikamaru has the best idea.

A lot of the hate surrounding the film is over-exaggerated. Sure, it wasn't incredible,but it was nowhere near the abomination others make it out to be. I find it interesting that people I know in person love this duology but most people online seem to despise it.

Had these two movies been the first cinematic attempt at the franchise, they probably would have been received a bit better, and probably would have ended with 3, maybe even 4, films. Of course, they weren’t the first attempt, and they followed a trilogy that, while flawed, established a tone and origin that did not need replicating. And therein lies the problem.

Instead of differentiating itself from the 2002 original by focusing on telling a wholly original story, the 2012 film constantly repeats the same beats, while going point-counterpoint. “Didn’t like how they started with MJ? We got Gwen!!” “Hated organics? We got web shooters!!” It was obvious, and that film was underwhelming, at least to me. Not to mention it was made so soon after the 2007 trilogy, which was still fresh in everyone’s minds.

Then, part 2 comes around, and while lightening things up a bit was welcome, it went too far into Saturday morning silliness. This was unfortunate because the film had what was supposed to be the most tragic and poignant moment in the death of Gwen. But the goofiness inherent in the film completely robbed the emotional impact from the scene, at least for me.

Marc Webb is by no means a bad director, but it’s clear now that he was perhaps not the best choice for Spidey. Again, at least for me.

As for Andrew Garfield, who is a terrific actor that gave all he could to the films, the problem was in how Peter was characterized. It was a great idea not to just copy Tobey Maguire, but Garfield’s Peter was basically already Spider-Man before even being bitten. I didn’t get a whole lot of evolution from the character from the start of the TASM to the end of TASM2.

Just my two cents.

^What did you think was particularly goofy about TASM2 other than Max being nerdy before his transformation and Rhino's brief role?

Thruthfully,I was not a fan of either "Amazing" movies,but at least this one was a bit more fun and lighthearted. The first Amazing Spider-man movie is my least favorite Spidey movie ever.

If this was a Marvel Studios movie, fanboys would love it. It's that simple really.

It has too much plot, and an unwieldy structure, sure; it also has some misjudged comedy moments. But it has a great Spider-Man, a great cast, genuine emotion, a wonderful score, and fantastic and huge scale action scenes. Jamie Foxx is great a Electro if you overlook the goofy loser cliches he exhibits early on. Dane Dehaan is both sympathetic and menacing, and you really feel for him as he gets trapped by his fate.

In ten years or so, when the Marvel Studios fervour has died down, fanboys will re-evaluate the series and give Amazing 2 more credit.

Psh yea right. This movie was a mess. This is coming from someone who was hype about the movie. You don’t have to be an mcu fanboy to recognize a bad movie. The movie was bad. Stop with the your a fanboy if you don’t like this movie. Andrew was a good Spider-Man but a terrible peter. Btw homecoming ain’t perfect either

I doubt that this movie will gain any more credit as time passes, when some people who loved the first when it was new gradually liked it less and less, some of the people who loved the first Amazing when it was new even hate it now.

Iron Man came out 10 years ago, and people still love it. After the Winter Soldier came out, Captain America: The First Avenger became more favorable to some. The 2012 Avengers film is still respected as one of the best CBMs of the modern era. I don't see the love for the MCU slowing down considering how the film celebrating 10 years of quality achievement is the fourth movie to gain $2+ billion in box office grossing. This won't be a train that slows down a decade from now after gaining so much trust and traction.

In regards to this version of Peter Parker; I like him. The types of mistakes he makes are more commonly made than one would imagine, he admits to his mistakes and is not really a self repressed creep who just makes mistakes and poor choices for malicious intentions. Spider-Man is fueled by Peter Parker, cause he is Peter Parker. If Spider-Man is great, it's because Peter is a good person with good intentions, Peter being a complete unlikable jackass -as so many call this Pete- would actually make for an a**h*** Spider-Man that would just shove people aside and never try to save a kid from being bullied, calm another kid to be able to lift him out of the burning car, save a pedestrian from being hit by a car to give him back his blueprints and give him a boost in self esteem, or more good things.

But he'll turn a truck into traffic and swing away without trying to save anyone.

A kid that can stop a bus with his bare hands.

And he did just that.

Last edited:
If this was a Marvel Studios movie, fanboys would love it. It's that simple really.

It has too much plot, and an unwieldy structure, sure; it also has some misjudged comedy moments. But it has a great Spider-Man, a great cast, genuine emotion, a wonderful score, and fantastic and huge scale action scenes. Jamie Foxx is great a Electro if you overlook the goofy loser cliches he exhibits early on. Dane Dehaan is both sympathetic and menacing, and you really feel for him as he gets trapped by his fate.

In ten years or so, when the Marvel Studios fervour has died down, fanboys will re-evaluate the series and give Amazing 2 more credit.

Bullcrap. I would hate it all the same. It being MCU doesn't fix any of the issues the movie had. If you liked it, that is fine. But a statement like that is a bunch of bunk. I don't need everything to be MCU. I don't reject things like Venom just based on that fact. I judge all CBMs on their own. TASM2 in my estimation was complete garbage as a film. MCU label or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"