The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Oh yeah, well then that must be true, because a magazine said it. Newsweek said this at one point, guess that's true too?

shyamalan-newsweek-cover.jpeg

That's so funny lol.

Most underrated movie ever and its not even close! We finaly get a wise guy sm and now he is annoying and chessy and a jerk lol. It is safe to say that no matter what we get people are going to be unsatisfied with how sm acts in a movie.

I'm afraid so man.

Funny because one of my main problems with the Raimi films is that Spider-Man was a dull and boring character and was nothing like the guy I read about in the comics or see in the TV shows. As I recall when Sony first announced the reboot people wanted Spidey to quip. We get that and now everyone hates it.

His quips were terrible and not funny. He was no good at delivering them either. They just made him more annoying already.

His quips were terrible and not funny. He was no good at delivering them either. They just made him more annoying already.

See that's one of the things I love about life. Opinions.

Now I'll be the first to admit that not all the quips were great, but they weren't all bad. I thought his delivery was plenty fine. But at least Spidey finally looked and felt like Spidey. He was youthful and full of energy, I never got that from the original trilogy.

His jokes were all bad, and Garfield has no sense of comedy timing. It was cartoony. God named sparkles is the stupidest one. The one with the Cops in ASM - yo yo yo the boys in blue are here was so cheesy too. He also looked like Edward Cullen not Peter Parker. People called it Spider-Man for the Twilight generation lol.

We can hope now Marvel deal happens and we will not see Twilight Spider-Man again.

My main gripe with this movie doesn't even have to do with Garfield as Parker or Spider-Man.

Over the top, forced and badly written villains.

Parents storyline.

Marginalization of Uncle Ben.

The parents storyline is a solid idea, and I didn't feel like Ben was more marginalized here than he was in the Raimi films, he was remembered a few times.

You mean the whole scene they gave between Peter and Ben and the whole telling Aunt May about what really happened that night. Or the whole badly retconned of Sandman killing Ben in the third?

Yeah he was just as mentioned in TASM2.

You mean the whole scene they gave between Peter and Ben and the whole telling Aunt May about what really happened that night. Or the whole badly retconned of Sandman killing Ben in the third?

Yeah he was just as mentioned in TASM2.
Oookkkaaaay, not that detailed.

Peter agreed with his aunt that Ben would've been proud, and the first thing he'd say post graduation party.
And Ben's stuff and talking about him before the Rhino battle.

I'm afraid so man.

Funny because one of my main problems with the Raimi films is that Spider-Man was a dull and boring character and was nothing like the guy I read about in the comics or see in the TV shows. As I recall when Sony first announced the reboot people wanted Spidey to quip. We get that and now everyone hates it.
Spider-Man quipping is the right idea, but the quips are unfunny to most people. Some of them were genuinely funny to me (e.g. "You found my weakness... it's small knives"), but they were overused in the trailers and pretty unfunny by the time I actually saw the movie.

I'm afraid so man.

Yeah has much has I love sm2 has I think it is by far the best sm movie yet I never realized just how boring and dull he was in that movie in till after asm1 and 2. You can not get a better sm then we got in asm2 one of the big reason I loved asm2 once and one of the things that asm1 and 2 did much much better then sm 1-3 ever did. So yeah I guess people want the boring dull sm again. People say he wasn't funny even though he was and even in the comics, tv shows when he made jokes not ever joke was funny plus the way he acted with the kid was great to. Also even the jokes that where not has good the delever was perfect!

Oookkkaaaay, not that detailed.

Peter agreed with his aunt that Ben would've been proud, and the first thing he'd say post graduation party.
And Ben's stuff and talking about him before the Rhino battle.

Then the word you're looking for is mentioned. Uncle Ben was "mentioned" in TASM2.

But still marginalized. Most of the movie he seemed more effected by the promise to Captain Stacy then he was about the responsibility of his powers he learned from Uncle Ben.

And I know that some people had issues with Spider-Man's quips, but that didn't ruin the movie. Garfield as Spider-Man didn't bother me. The jokes didn't bother me.

It's the rest of the movie. The soundtrack, the story and plot especially, the characters outside of Garfield, Stone and Fields and the villains.

I like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, even though I felt that too much of the storylines was placed on him through all the X-Men movies. My point is, X-Men Origins: Wolverine was one of the worst CBMs ever and I like Jackman's portrayal just everything else in that movie was the worst. To a lesser extent since TASM2 isn't as bad as that, that's how I feel.

Then the word you're looking for is mentioned. Uncle Ben was "mentioned" in TASM2.

But still marginalized. Most of the movie he seemed more effected by the promise to Captain Stacy then he was about the responsibility of his powers he learned from Uncle Ben.

And I know that some people had issues with Spider-Man's quips, but that didn't ruin the movie. Garfield as Spider-Man didn't bother me. The jokes didn't bother me.

It's the rest of the movie. The soundtrack, the story and plot especially, the characters outside of Garfield, Stone and Fields and the villains.

I like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, even though I felt that too much of the storylines was placed on him through all the X-Men movies. My point is, X-Men Origins: Wolverine was one of the worst CBMs ever and I like Jackman's portrayal just everything else in that movie was the worst. To a lesser extent since TASM2 isn't as bad as that, that's how I feel.
Very well said. I can agree with this completely.

His jokes were all bad, and Garfield has no sense of comedy timing. It was cartoony. God named sparkles is the stupidest one. The one with the Cops in ASM - yo yo yo the boys in blue are here was so cheesy too. He also looked like Edward Cullen not Peter Parker. People called it Spider-Man for the Twilight generation lol.

We can hope now Marvel deal happens and we will not see Twilight Spider-Man again.

Read a comic, watch the cartoons. He makes bad jokes! And Edward Cullen? Um Edward is dry, boring and not even attempting at having a personality. The only thing they share is a similar hair cut.

Well that's the problem with the TASM series: it felt very much like a Saturday morning cartoon. Some of the jokes and quips may have worked in a comic or a cartoon, but they are pretty lame on film. Tobey's quips were much more infrequent, but the timing and delivery were always much better. "That's a cut outfit. Did your husband give it to you?" Then the best one IMO, "Here's your change!" It always felt like it was at the right moment where in TASM they were just trying to force in a joke whenever they could.

"Hey, you can call me spidey, you can call me web-head, but don't call me late for dinner. Get it?"

I don't know, is that supposed to be funny?

I like the quips in TASM, I dont recall any in Raimi's or at least any worth remembering aside from the wrestler one which was gold.

But TASM a Saturday Morning Cartoon? I felt the Raimi's films are more like that. Goblin's costume, the dialogue, Aunt May's uselessness, MJ's uselessness and constant screaming.

I like the quips in TASM, I dont recall any in Raimi's or at least any worth remembering aside from the wrestler one which was gold.

But TASM a Saturday Morning Cartoon? I felt the Raimi's films are more like that. Goblin's costume, the dialogue, Aunt May's uselessness, MJ's uselessness and constant screaming.
Well the usefulness of Aunt May can be debated since she was Peter's authority figure and often helped inspire him. Not to mention she technically helped him stop Doc Ock on the side of the building.

Raimi's movies had a level of cheese to them, but it never felt like "a cartoon." Green Goblin was out of his mind and I admit he had a level of cartoonish-campiness to him, but I always felt like I was watching a live action movie. It was never like TASM2's Rhino or Electro which were just silly.

Read a comic, watch the cartoons. He makes bad jokes!

Never. Spider-Man's one liners are actually amusing and funny. Random example:

Doc Ock: "Spider-Man! You're making a career of interference"
Spidey: "Some career. No salary. No vacation. Not to mention on the job health hazards"

Kingpin: "I must say, Spider-Man, this is an unexpected treat"
Spidey: "If I were you, Kingpin, I'd cut down on the treats"

That kind of dialogue is actually genuinely witty and amusing. Not "You've been a baaaaaaaad Lizard", or "Yo yo yo the boys in blue are here", or "A god named sparkles", or any of the other cringey one liners he spewed in the ASM movies.

And Edward Cullen? Um Edward is dry, boring and not even attempting at having a personality.

Sounds like Andrew Garfield's Peter to me. Throw in the creepy stalker bit of his gf, too.

Well the usefulness of Aunt May can be debated since she was Peter's authority figure and often helped inspire him. Not to mention she technically helped him stop Doc Ock on the side of the building.

Raimi's movies had a level of cheese to them, but it never felt like "a cartoon." Green Goblin was out of his mind and I admit he had a level of cartoonish-campiness to him, but I always felt like I was watching a live action movie. It was never like TASM2's Rhino or Electro which were just silly.

Exactly.

Not to mention Aunt May actually serves a purpose to the story beyond sending Peter for eggs, and having to fight for some attention because he's giving it all to his dead dull parents. Sally Field is a great actress, but no Aunt May scene of hers comes close to the likes of giving Peter the $20 on his birthday and then breaking down crying about how much she misses Ben, or her reaction to Peter telling her that Sandman was killed by Spider-Man, or the confession scene where Peter tells her his part in Uncle Ben's death etc.

Rosemary Harris had a wealth of great material to chew on. Aunt May felt like an important part in Peter's life, with a moral support to play in his life as well as an emotional one. Best of all Peter never made her feel like she wasn't loved or cared about enough like Garfield's did to his Aunt May.

Last edited:

Spidey: "Some career. No salary. No vacation. Not to mention on the job health hazards"

That kind of dialogue is actually genuinely witty and amusing. Not "You've been a baaaaaaaad Lizard", or "Yo yo yo the boys in blue are here", or "A god named sparkles", or any of the other cringey one liners he spewed in the ASM movies.

Gosh those jokes are terrible! Spidey should be funny, not annoying.

Sounds like Andrew Garfield's Peter to me. Throw in the creepy stalker bit of his gf, too.

:funny:

Exactly.

Not to mention Aunt May actually serves a purpose to the story beyond sending Peter for eggs, and having to fight for some attention because he's give it all to his dead dull parents. Sally Field is a great actress, but no Aunt May scene of hers comes close to the likes of giving Peter the $20 on his birthday and then breaking down crying about how much she misses Ben, or her reaction to Peter telling her that Sandman was killed by Spider-Man, or the confession scene where Peter tells her his part in Uncle Ben's death etc.

Rosemary Harris had a wealth of great material to chew on. Aunt May felt like an important part in Peter's life, with a moral support to play in his life as well as an emotional one. Best of all Peter never made her feel like she wasn't loved or cared about enough like Garfield's did to his Aunt May.

Spot on. :up:

SM2, in the elevator, when asked about his costume: "It gets kind of itchy....and it rides up in the crotch a little bit, too."

SM3, fighting with Sandman: "I'm the sheriff around these parts."

Maybe those aren't exactly quips, but they were genuinely funny.

I cracked up at a "A god named 'Sparkles'?" and moments like Spidey trying to say his name with a cold, but I can't think of any lines from any of the Spidey movies that rival some of the uproarious quips from the comics.

Read a comic, watch the cartoons. He makes bad jokes! And Edward Cullen? Um Edward is dry, boring and not even attempting at having a personality. The only thing they share is a similar hair cut.

Edward had a darkly funny line in the books that was better than anything he said in the movies. Bella, concerned that he was hunting bears out of season, cautioned him about breaking the law. He responded, "Those laws only apply to hunting with weapons."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"