The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Reinserting some of the deleted scenes could be beneficial, but it wouldn't make it a better film.

I think the Goblin look is so hard to nail because, well... Sony.

LOL--you might have a point. I thought both Goblin looks were decent, but I didn't love either one. WB did the Joker, a garish character with similar colors, properly in two different ways. Why did Sony have such a struggle with the Goblin?

LOL--you might have a point. I thought both Goblin looks were decent, but I didn't love either one. WB did the Joker, a garish character with similar colors, properly in two different ways. Why did Sony have such a struggle with the Goblin?
Honestly, I don't know. I don't think the Goblin is as difficult to put on screen as some might think. Isn't it funny how they ended up giving us a Goblin design that is somewhat similar to the one from "Turn off the Dark"?

The Goblins look in TASM2
Should have been Dafoes look in the other series.

Hollywood always does things backwards.

I very much prefer the Raimi version of the Goblin costume. Heck, I'd even take New Goblin over what we got in TASM2.

Dafoe had a creepy face when talked to himself in the mirror, missed opertunity with prosthetics like a Jack Nichson Joker transformation in film.

I walked out of the theater knowing that I'd just seen what would easily be one of my favorite movies, so I was legitimately shocked when I came home and saw the reviews. :huh:

So many things happened all at once in TASM2 and I remember walking have saying, "I have no idea if this movie was awesome or a giant turd." One day I would think about it and give it a 9. Then I would realize how bad it was and give it a 4 or 5. Right now I give it maybe a 5-6/10. I was very indecisive on this film for a long time.

I think the movie does deserve the hate it gets. It was a mess of a movie, it commits the cardinal sin of comic book movies, stuffing to much random things in and hoping some of it sticks and there was way too much world building. Captain America 2 was a movie that was a lot like ASM2, but it worked with multiple villians and the world building/destroying because everyone was working together from the start, you had the mastermind in Pierce, the footsolider/henchman in Rumlow and the killing machine in Bucky/Winter Soldier. It was changed the landscape of the shared universe, but was a natural part of the story, the plot called for that, it wasn't forced in like the Sinister Six tease. Hell even the cameo villian of Batroc worked because that mission actually mattered to the movie as a whole and Batroc was the perfect distraction at that moment. Spider-man's cameo of the Rhino was just a joke, made worse by the bookend "fight" at the end of the movie. ASM2 could've been good, but it needed a cohesive story, but it fell into the same trap that Spider-man 3 had, too many "cool ideas", but a script that didn't try to tie those ideas together, it just throw them out there and hoped no one would notice.

TASM2 gets a lot of unwarranted hate. I think most who claim to hate it probably have never even watched it. There are also the people who just hate on it because it's apparently cool to hate every Marvel film that isn't made by Marvel Studios. Then you have the people who hate Garfield's Spidey yet for some reason love Tobey's Spidey who IMO was always awful in the role. Garfield is a far superior Spider-Man.

Personally it's probably my favorite Spider-Man film. It managed to capture the spirit and feel of the comics and TV shows that none of the previous films ever really did before. From the way they nailed Spidey's costume, personality and his movements, The chemistry between Peter and Gwen. The films catchy and brilliant soundtrack that has been stuck in my head since the first day I saw the film. I really felt like I was watching Spider-Man. Seriously the soundtrack is awesome.

I even liked the down on his luck unpopular Max Dillon / Electro, I really felt for the guy man. I just don't agree with how they handled The Green Goblin, they dropped the ball there. But Gwen's death was perfect, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, my hair was standing, and I felt Peter's pain when it finally happened. It is a very underrated film.

TASM2 gets a lot of unwarranted hate. I think most who claim to hate it probably have never even watched it. There are also the people who just hate on it because it's apparently cool to hate every Marvel film that isn't made by Marvel Studios.

DOFP got plenty of praise....so yeah no. People hate it cause it sucked.

Then you have the people who hate Garfield's Spidey yet for some reason love Tobey's Spidey who IMO was always awful in the role. Garfield is a far superior Spider-Man.

Nope

I even liked the down on his luck unpopular Max Dillon / Electro, I really felt for the guy man. I just don't agree with how they handled The Green Goblin, they dropped the ball there. But Gwen's death was perfect, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, my hair was standing, and I felt Peter's pain when it finally happened. It is a very underrated film.

Down on his luck and unpopular Max is fine, Urkel in a SM movie is not. I was on the edge of my seat too, but I paid 10 bucks to see it, so I made myself stay...:o

I think the movie does deserve the hate it gets. It was a mess of a movie, it commits the cardinal sin of comic book movies, stuffing to much random things in and hoping some of it sticks and there was way too much world building. Captain America 2 was a movie that was a lot like ASM2, but it worked with multiple villians and the world building/destroying because everyone was working together from the start, you had the mastermind in Pierce, the footsolider/henchman in Rumlow and the killing machine in Bucky/Winter Soldier. It was changed the landscape of the shared universe, but was a natural part of the story, the plot called for that, it wasn't forced in like the Sinister Six tease. Hell even the cameo villian of Batroc worked because that mission actually mattered to the movie as a whole and Batroc was the perfect distraction at that moment. Spider-man's cameo of the Rhino was just a joke, made worse by the bookend "fight" at the end of the movie. ASM2 could've been good, but it needed a cohesive story, but it fell into the same trap that Spider-man 3 had, too many "cool ideas", but a script that didn't try to tie those ideas together, it just throw them out there and hoped no one would notice.

Agreed.

TASM2 gets a lot of unwarranted hate. I think most who claim to hate it probably have never even watched it.

Disagreed. I am sorry Spider-sonic but that is just denial from someone who does not want to believe a movie that they like has lots of hate.

My Top 6 CBMs range from MCU to Sony to WB to Fox. I feel I'm unbiased.

My indifference to the TASM series comes from I wasn't necessarily blown away like I was with other CBMs. It wasn't the worst films but I still struggle when people say it's their favorite. :huh:

Agreed.

Disagreed. I am sorry Spider-sonic but that is just denial from someone who does not want to believe a movie that they like has lots of hate.

While I disagree with that it is just denial. There are pletty of movies I have liked with bad to mixed reviews and there are pletty of movies with good/ great reviews that I have hated or didn't care for but never ever have I disagreed with people has much has I do with this movie.

TASM2 gets a lot of unwarranted hate. I think most who claim to hate it probably have never even watched it. There are also the people who just hate on it because it's apparently cool to hate every Marvel film that isn't made by Marvel Studios. Then you have the people who hate Garfield's Spidey yet for some reason love Tobey's Spidey who IMO was always awful in the role. Garfield is a far superior Spider-Man.

Personally it's probably my favorite Spider-Man film. It managed to capture the spirit and feel of the comics and TV shows that none of the previous films ever really did before. From the way they nailed Spidey's costume, personality and his movements, The chemistry between Peter and Gwen. The films catchy and brilliant soundtrack that has been stuck in my head since the first day I saw the film. I really felt like I was watching Spider-Man. Seriously the soundtrack is awesome.

Most underrated movie ever and its not even close! We finaly get a wise guy sm and now he is annoying and chessy and a jerk lol. It is safe to say that no matter what we get people are going to be unsatisfied with how sm acts in a movie.

It deserves a score of 5 or 6 out of 10 as a quality product, and as a Spider-Man movie. Not one of the worst movies ever made, it's just average.

Spider-Man needs the help of his smarter girlfriend Gwen-A-Jane to fix his webshooters, something he does on his own in the comics, even in Ultimate, where he took the base for the web formula from his father.

Handling of the villains is not good.
Edward Nigma in Batman Forever is pretty cool, Electro in this movie is nothing like him, he's a much weaker villain, and I see these two compared often enough.

Exhibit A: The guy who hates his direct boss, and chose to take his chance with the CEO visiting to explain his work and get the owner's approval, but is turned down then starts his own show and merchandise

Exhibit B: "Alone, nobody likes me, hero saved me, I start hero worship, forget how hero tells cops not too shoot me after the accident, and see how glorified hero is after pulling my hand to stop me from shocking more people like the sniper, and believe he tricked me. The first person to pay attention to me and remind me I'm human is the worst kind of villain, the world will be better without him."

Looking at other villains, Goblin is ok, story might feel rushed, but he's ok, nothing more, nothing less.

You can be entertained by it enough to give it a higher score, but it will be based solely on how much you enjoy it, I give it an 8/10 based on how entertaining I think it is.
My indifference to the TASM series comes from I wasn't necessarily blown away like I was with other CBMs. It wasn't the worst films but I still struggle when people say it's their favorite. :huh:
It's acquired taste.
I don't like the LEGO Movie, but it's high on the lists of many.

Most underrated movie ever and its not even close! We finaly get a wise guy sm and now he is annoying and chessy and a jerk lol. It is safe to say that no matter what we get people are going to be unsatisfied with how sm acts in a movie.

Underrated would also have the connotation of actually being really good.

This wasn't a movie getting 90% at RT and nobody saw it. This was a movie that got 54% and did good for other movies but not for a Spider-Man movie.

This was a movie that caused a sequel to be pushed back 2 extra years.

This is a movie that at best is divisive among comic book movies. You don't see "Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?" under the TWS, GOTG or DOFP threads.

Actually TIME magazine voted TASM2 the most underappreciated film of the year. Said it was basically objectively brilliant and that Electro blew past villians such as Doc Ock and the Joker out of the water.

So yeah

Time and time again, I stated one of the issues I have with Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is the villain is a pudgy middle aged man, he should not be able to endure all the attacks Spider-Man handed him, when thugs who are trained to fight fall unconscious pretty fast. However; his character arc is great, and the train fight is one of the greatest fight sequences in any action movie, despite the issue.

Electro on the other hand is a complete joke, too much of a 90s stereotype cartoony nerd, he was a physical challenge, but his character arc is stupid.
Steve Urkel is a better character, he thrived to improve himself, and prove to the Winslows he is a good person, Laura loved him eventually. I saw this Max compared to Steve, and the comparison is still not fair for Steve.

While I disagree with that it is just denial.

It is denial to believe most haters of ASM 2 never saw it.

Underrated would also have the connotation of actually being really good.

This wasn't a movie getting 90% at RT and nobody saw it. This was a movie that got 54% and did good for other movies but not for a Spider-Man movie.

This was a movie that caused a sequel to be pushed back 2 extra years.

This is a movie that at best is divisive among comic book movies. You don't see "Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?" under the TWS, GOTG or DOFP threads.

Agreed.
Actually TIME magazine voted TASM2 the most underappreciated film of the year. Said it was basically objectively brilliant and that Electro blew past villians such as Doc Ock and the Joker out of the water.

So yeah

I can't find that anywhere BRAB. Their review of ASM 2 say nothing like that. Say mostly bad things about the movie.

http://time.com/81436/review-the-amazing-spider-man-2-a-web-of-missed-opportunities/

They say the movie lost it's sense of direction, romance, and heart. Agreed with that definitely.

Last edited:

So yeah
I couldn't find that either.

But even if some at Time said that, do you honestly think that Electro was better than Doc Ock or the Joker?

If Time really did say that then it has to be one of the craziest and most unpopular opinions of the decade lol.

I've got it somewhere on my hard drive

I'll dig it up later if I can find it

So yeah

Oh yeah, well then that must be true, because a magazine said it. Newsweek said this at one point, guess that's true too?

shyamalan-newsweek-cover.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"