• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Amazing Spider-Man Donald Glover wants to be Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
So stupid, it's supported by Brian Bendis and Stan Lee (the latter wouldn't give an opinion on whether or not Glover should be cast, but he did explicitly say that Glover should be able to audition and that race has nothing to do with who Spider-Man is, which are the main arguments of those who disagree with you).
As far as I know, Stan Lee only supported Glover saying "race shouldn't be an issue." for an auditionwhich I don't think anyone here was against. He didn't say anything about race having nothing to do with the character of Spider-Man. As for Bendis, all I've found were twitter postings that say "I support this!!" and that he'll vote for him "only if he's credited as Donny Glover" Doesn't look like Bendis gave much of reason as to why he supports it, as some on here apparently want from the negative side. :whatever:

Despite what anyone here feels or thinks, the acting industry relies heavily on appearance. You don't look like the character in a drastic manner, you won't be cast as the character, it's as simple as that.

No. They aren't Americans thus they cannot play their comic counterparts anywhere near where they are supposed to be played. Like how a black guy could never play Peter Parker correctly.
We are not talking nationalities, we're talking ethnicity.
In the third SM flick.... 'evil' Parker danced... that's right, his super villainous move was to dance. And somehow seeing that a guy could play a good Parker, even though he's black, is stupid? :whatever:
Odd, I saw his "super, villainous move" was manipulating people to his whim and smacking MJ. And while the dance was out of place and stupid, it's something that could have easily been cut out in the editing room. Again, we're talking ethnicity here, not dancing.
If you see the time of his EDIT to that post and the time of my response. I didn't.

Did you actually fall for that stupid move he pulled?
I see more stupid moves and existing posts to track down every single edit in this thread.

Now you're just acting stupid.
No. I'm applying the same logic people are using to say Glover can't be Spider-man. If you're not the exact same as the character, you can't play them. End of story.

No. I'm applying the same logic people are using to say Glover can't be Spider-man. If you're not the exact same as the character, you can't play them. End of story.

It's not the same logic, not even close.

Ethnicity and Nationality are completely different.

So youre prejudice against Brits?

No one on here is being racist for wanting a white actor to portray a white character. But you have an unusual hate for non-American actors to portray American characters. Who can hide their accents?

Youre the one who is truly racist.

So youre prejudice against Brits?

No one on here is being racist for wanting a white actor to portray a white character. But you have an unusual hate for non-American actors to portray American characters. Who can hide their accents?

Youre the one who is truly racist.
No. You guys just aren't big enough fans of the source material. If you really loved the characters so much, you would make sure that an American played an American character.

And to have a white actor portray a white character as well maybe?:cwink:

If things were that close, Glover wouldn't have a leg to stand on. He's not even from NYC. How could you have an actor from Georgia portray a character from Queens?

No. We're saying if you don't look ANYTHING like them you shouldn't play them. You're being stupid. You're creating a straw man arguement. You're creating a false arguement and then procede to defeat it like you actually just defeated one of our arguements.

Last edited:
Clint Eastwood should've played Mandela in Invictus.

Here's a trick I did a few days ago to my 9 year old nephew. I told him that Glover was going to be Spider-Man and showed him a picture. He hit the roof and wouldn't have it,

"He's not Spider-Man,he isnt the same colour as he is in the comics. I dont like him". He was then on the verge of tears.

The point to that is people will be confused,especially little kids. They will never accept and like, a huge change like that.

No. You guys just aren't big enough fans of the source material. If you really loved the characters so much, you would make sure that an American played an American character.

I see the point you're making here, and I get where you're coming from. You were in the Captain America casting debate about the non-American vs. only American actors weren't you Gilpesh? (I thought I remembered you posting, but I might just be mixing things up).

Either way, if you were, you might remember that I supported a non American actor being cast as Cap (in the event that they held open auditions and a foreign actor gave the best audition). As an actor, I stand behind the idea of "the best man for the role."

However, when I say "best for the role," I'm including a specific set of parameters. They need to have the right voice, the right build, the right presence, and the right look. A white, British actor can easily make themselves sound American (if they're good enough at dialects). Once you get past that part, everything else is down.

This is why I don't have a problem with a Brit, or any other white actor playing Peter. As long as they look, sound, and act like the way I think Peter Parker should act, I don't have a problem with it.

I see the point you're making here, and I get where you're coming from. You were in the Captain America casting debate about the non-American vs. only American actors weren't you Gilpesh? (I thought I remembered you posting, but I might just be mixing things up). the way I think Peter Parker should act, I don't have a problem with it.
You are. As I just started doing that to make as crazy statements as the other people in this thread were making.

Especially as people keep setting up these strange arbitrary lines of where things are allowed and not allowed. Fury turned black on a whim in a comic? Suuure. Spidey turned black because Glover could play it well? **** THAT YOU PIECE OF ****, YOU'RE WRONG AND I HOPE YOU DIE!

People.....Gilpesh is just trolling the thread trying to start an argument....please ignore him.

:doh: swear the mentally of some of you posters in here is frightening...i just read 2 pages of gibberish but my fav. is posters complaining about this thread still being open, BUT YET they are in here posting for another 2 pages! ha ha

lets contradict ourselves some more why dont you..."i want this thread closed" but at the same time you're continuing to post in here! ha ha oh god!!! ha ha

People.....Gilpesh is just trolling the thread trying to start an argument....please ignore him.
You cannot be serious. I'm just trying to get rid of the people that won't let others actually discuss Donald Glover and Spider-man.

You know, all the people saying the exact same things like, "White MLK next? Black Batman?" or "This thread is still going?" Barely anyone is actually talking about the subject.

Sorry if I was prolonging any trolling C. Lee.

But I do kind of see one of his points. I can understand why someone think it's a bit of a double standard to accept Fury as a new race, while Spidey isn't.

Now, I could try and argue this point, (it's ultimate Nick Fury, a separate character ect. ect.) but to be completely honest, the reason I dont care about the race change is because I really don't care about Nick Fury. I didn't grow up watching cartoons of him as a kid. He wasn't my favorite superhero at the age of 3, and I didn't read his comics all my life.

That's the honest truth for me. I'm not invested enough in the character to really care.

People can do fake accents. They can act American. How is Glover suppose to "act" white? Are they going to paint him white head to toe and give him a whig? That is equivalent to a non-American playing an American. The accent works, the painting does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"