Endgame Endgame User Review Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Well, am due to see it with @Iceman later this month, but dipped my toe today. Thought I'd take the plunge, to get my own thoughts....

My review....

The most expensive re-make of BTTF II ever made, at least they have the grace to admit it within their own script.

giphy.gif

Saw it for the 2nd time. My grade remains unaltered an 8 out of 10.
Its definitely one of the better MCU movies but it isn't better than IW. It packs an emotional punch, has some solid acting and the action in the third act almost makes it worth of the lack of it in the rest of the movie.

I hadn't quite thought about the lack of the GotG.
Means Ego could never attempt to take over universe too.

Eh.

He still could theoretically track down Quill, there'd just be no reason to notice him or expect him to be special. Ego's ongoing seed spreading plan would still continue, until Ego either drew attention or else found a way to activate them. Which, granted, might not happen for eons.

Gamora didn't come back when the Soul Stone was ashed. Simply returning the stone is not going to bring Natasha back. It's not like the soul stone sucks you in whole, it seemingly just takes your soul once you're dead. Meaning even if your soul is free from it, your body is dead.

On that matter. . .

So, in the 'prime' timeline, the Soul Stone was destroyed. However. . . does this necessarily mean that the whole weirdness surrounding Vormir suddenly stopped? Which is to say, is Vormir a planet of death because of the Soul Stone, or was the Soul Stone kept on Vormir because it was a planet of death?

I lean towards Vormir basically being the Shores of Death, and that the place is still mystically significant even without the Soul Stone.

Eh.

He still could theoretically track down Quill, there'd just be no reason to notice him or expect him to be special. Ego's ongoing seed spreading plan would still continue, until Ego either drew attention or else found a way to activate them. Which, granted, might not happen for eons.
so that means Starlord is still a Celestial?

Saw it tonight and it’s a lot to process. Overall, I liked it a lot, but I didn’t love it like IW. I had a lot of problems, mainly with the roles of Hulk, Thanos and Vision, which were the characters I was looking forward to most.

However, I thought Hawkeye, Rocket and BW had really strong showings, along with the Marvel Trinity. Captain Marvel got some great moments also. Would give it 8.5 at the moment, that may go up or down when I either process my thoughts or see it again.

so that means Starlord is still a Celestial?

He's still half-celestial in the current timeline, too. The only thing that changed is he killed his dad, who was the only valid source of "celestial energy". Presumably he's a few million years too young to generate his own cosmic energy, or whatnot.

I thought Starlord lost the celestial part when he killed his dad? His dad told him if he died then that part of Peter is gone too and you see in Vol 2 his “power” leave after Ego blows up.

What I thought was weird...

So the battle ends with Tony stealing the stones and doing the snap. But how is it that he barely reacts to the stones when Banner was totally overwhelmed by their energy. It was established too that Banner's physical properties made him the best pick to use the stones. Tony seems almost unaffected (before the snap that is)

So the battle ends with Tony stealing the stones and doing the snap. But how is it that he barely reacts to the stones when Banner was totally overwhelmed by their energy. It was established too that Banner's physical properties made him the best pick to use the stones. Tony seems almost unaffected (before the snap that is)

It all happened fairly quickly and is a minor plot hole IMO, but I guess they could say his new suit was somehow designed with this in mind and had some way of channelling the excess energy away.

His armor absorbs the initial brunt of the stones, you can see it cracking.

It all happened fairly quickly and is a minor plot hole IMO, but I guess they could say his new suit was somehow designed with this in mind and had some way of channelling the excess energy away.
His armor absorbs the initial brunt of the stones, you can see it cracking.

Makes sense. One other small nitpick is that they were trying to get the glove to the minivan-time machine, when they could've just given it to Tony, but at the same time I also dont mind because the whole sequence is so well made that I wasn't even thinking about it while I watched it

Makes sense. One other small nitpick is that they were trying to get the glove to the minivan-time machine, when they could've just given it to Tony, but at the same time I also dont mind because the whole sequence is so well made that I wasn't even thinking about it while I watched it

A bigger issue for me in this scene was that Thanos clicked his fingers and obviously didn't notice the stones were no longer there. Surely he would have noticed the absence of their energy?

A bigger issue for me in this scene was that Thanos clicked his fingers and obviously didn't notice the stones were no longer there. Surely he would have noticed the absence of their energy?
Why? He and everyone else is in the biggest battle of their lives. Thanos' focus is spilt between just getting the Gauntlet and also looking out for attacks at every side, all this happening at high speed.

Once again, dramatic license is not a plot hole. If they telegraph Thanos doesn't have them, then the suspense of the scene is ruined. This is a movie, and sometimes suspense trumps logic. Doing it the other way makes it a less compelling moment, and thus a worse movie.

it's a very subjective thing when dramatic license works and when it doesn't. If it brought someone out of the moment, it's a valid complaint. And I think it's valuable to have these perspectives in film criticism. It's just one of those things where neither side is exactly right or wrong

it's a very subjective thing when dramatic license works and when it doesn't. If it brought someone out of the moment, it's a valid complaint. And I think it's valuable to have these perspectives in film criticism. It's just one of those things where neither side is exactly right or wrong

But the proof is in the pudding: the audience for 95% of it reacts the way the filmmakers wanted: they have suspense and are at the edge of their seats, which manifests when people cheer in screenings once the reveal of Thanos snapping does nothing. This shows the filmmakers got the desired effect they wanted. Doing it the other way would have minimized this effect for most of the target audience. So in this instance, the artistic license the filmmakers took paid off, even if it is something that personally takes you out of the moment

But the proof is in the pudding: the audience for 95% of it reacts the way the filmmakers wanted: they have suspense and are at the edge of their seats, which manifests when people cheer in screenings once the reveal of Thanos snapping does nothing. This shows the filmmakers got the desired effect they wanted. Doing it the other way would have minimized this effect for most of the target audience. So in this instance, the artistic license the filmmakers took paid off, even if it is something that personally takes you out of the moment

I think the moment is awesome. I wouldn't have done it any other way and it seems that the majority felt good about it. I'm simply saying that for those who didn't really like it, it's okay to voice those opinions. It's not harmful. And arguing artistic license is not gonna change anyone's mind who genuinely didn't like it for logic reasons

Saw it tonight and it’s a lot to process. Overall, I liked it a lot, but I didn’t love it like IW. I had a lot of problems, mainly with the roles of Hulk, Thanos and Vision, which were the characters I was looking forward to most.

However, I thought Hawkeye, Rocket and BW had really strong showings, along with the Marvel Trinity. Captain Marvel got some great moments also. Would give it 8.5 at the moment, that may go up or down when I either process my thoughts or see it again.
No Vision was a disappointment for me. :csad:

No Vision was a disappointment for me. :csad:

If there is 1 character I do feel the Russos screwed up, it was Vision. So I guess, if he is not in it, then you can't screw him up a 3rd time :o

If there is 1 character I do feel the Russos screwed up, it was Vision. So I guess, if he is not in it, then you can't screw him up a 3rd time :o
I thought he was coming back in EG to help save the day. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"