The Last Jedi General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup completely agreed. If there's one word to sum up this movie for me, it would "stagnant". I never got the sense that the movie was building up to something, that the story was moving forward. There was no momentum. It felt really aimless and pointless. Throw in the characters doing really random things, it's such a let-down.

Aimless, pointless, stagnant, no momentum, perfect words to describe it. I honestly can't believe this was the best story they could come up with. This movie was a complete waste of everyone's time. I understand completely now Mark Hamill's initial concerns about how Luke was portrayed. And Rey? She's the exact same character by the end of the film. TFA left with the perfect opportunity to build on her character and she doesn't evolve at all! What in the actual **** were they thinking???

Aimless, pointless, stagnant, no momentum, perfect words to describe it. I honestly can't believe this was the best story they could come up with. This movie was a complete waste of everyone's time. I understand completely now Mark Hamill's initial concerns about how Luke was portrayed. And Rey? She's the exact same character by the end of the film. TFA left with the perfect opportunity to build on her character and she doesn't evolve at all! What in the actual **** were they thinking???

Yup. As a huge Luke Skywalker fan, the way he was treated in TFA and TLJ feels like a huge slap in the face.

I honestly don't get how it's scored as highly on RT as it has. The audience at the end was very muted. Big cheers at the end of TFA in comparison.

But...metacritic is 85 :funny:

Just curious how many of the reviews mentioned "funny" or "fun". Because of all the Star Wars movies that Disney has done, TLJ has felt the most Disney-fied of them all. The same undercutting humor present in the MCU is present here. Ugh. Guess I was setting myself up for disappointment by expecting a darker tone like ESB, or like what the fricking trailers promised.

Why is everyone allergic to humor? Han was pretty damn funny in the original trilogy, IMO.

Why is everyone allergic to humor? Han was pretty damn funny in the original trilogy, IMO.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be humor. But balance. BALANCE. Han made me laugh so much in TFA by being himself. Here, you can tell they're purposely doing it for the laughs.

I purposely avoided all pieces of information outside of this film bar the trailers and read no reviews, didn't even look on RT. My expectation were firmly in check. This film was a mess and a slap in the face to every character, new and old. At least the prequels had some interesting design elements, this just feel tired and boring at times.

:csad:

I cannot believe the main plot of this film was about a ship being chased. Not only that, but I can't believe how boring that part of the movie was. Everything with Rey and Kylo Ren was interesting. But the Luke and Rey 'teaching' was so poorly handled, so under developed, that it ended up being nothing more than a waste of time because in the end Luke taught her essentially nothing. What a ****ing waste of everyone's time this was.

It turns out Matt the Radar Technician was right after all

I want to apologise in advanced for any annoyed ramblings I might post, but I haven't been this dumbfounded by a movie in a while. What's striking to me is I have no desire to ever watch The Last Jedi again. For all the crap the prequels get there are at least interesting pieces within each film I can watch and enjoy and they all have an emotional beat. This feels completely soulless, like there's no heart to anything, as if it was manufacture by a machine and not hand crafted by a person. If this is the future of Star Wars then the series is in big trouble.

I want to know, does the Force Theme play at all?

You know, the music from when Luke is looking at the binary sunset in ANH?

Does that song play, and does it play with Luke at all?

That IS Luke's theme, so if he doesn't get a scene with that, ugh

I want to apologise in advanced for any annoyed ramblings I might post, but I haven't been this dumbfounded by a movie in a while. What's striking to me is I have no desire to ever watch The Last Jedi again. For all the crap the prequels get there are at least interesting pieces within each film I can watch and enjoy and they all have an emotional beat. This feels completely soulless, like there's no heart to anything, as if it was manufacture by a machine and not hand crafted by a person. If this is the future of Star Wars then the series is in big trouble.

So can it be said Luke died from old age or just the stress from the Force projection? And if he didn't really accomplish anything fighting Kylo then what was the point?

Don’t be silly now. Just because the people in charge do something and make choices you might not agree with doesn’t mean they don’t give a crap.

Glad you enjoyed it man.

Ignore him, Herolee’s become the most toxic person on Superherohype this week.

Luke has, and always will be, my absolute favourite Star Wars character but, to be honest, reading through some of the posts on here has me shaking my head in disbelief. Nowhere is there a higher sense of entitlement than that of a fan-boy behind a computer - I mean complaining because the plot doesn't go the way you wanted it to or certain characters don't end up doing things that you had pre-ordained that they should to the point were its concluded that the filmmakers don't care? My God.

I'm waiting for the inevitable

#NOTMYSTARWARS,
#NOTMYLUKE,
#LUKEWOULDNTDOTHAT
#LUKEWOULDNTSAYTHAT
#LUKEWOULDNTWEARTHAT
#JUSTICEFORLUKE

and for someone to say that 'its only because I care for the franchise/characters so much and you're obviously not a fan if you're OK with this', but hey, maybe its just that I'm a bit more open-minded to what is about to be presented to me on-screen? I actually think that some people have lost sight that we're lucky that we've got to see Mark reprise the role at all - so what if Luke isn't at the point where you imagined for all these years he would be story-wise, isn't how you imagined for all these years he'd be looks-wise, or doing things that you imagined for all these years he'd be doing. This Luke isn't the Luke I imagined but I've got past that, unclenched and accepted that other people have other ideas.

But hey, that's just my opinion; lesser Star Wars fan that I am [obviously].

Thank you. Everyon pulling the “it didn’t happen just like I thought so the filmmakers don’t care” argument should legit be ashamed of themselves. Rian’s a massive fan, it just went somewhwre different

Different doesn't mean **** if it's not developed correctly.

It's fine, this wasn't directed to you but to the poster above (Young Skywalker) who straight out answered my question by revealing a key scene from the film.

General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread

Well that's dissapointing because I didn't think anything of her in the force awakens

General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread

Thanks for clarifying. I still thought spoilers would be put in tags before the film premieres everywhere (or at least the majority of locations).

Anyway, seeing it tonight. So excited!

Biggest mistake this film made I believe was picking up almost exactly where TFA left off. This film needed to start a few years after TFA with a new threat to the galaxy. We've essentially just returned to the old Empire/Rebels plot moving forward. There needed to be something new brought to this series and all that's happened is things have reverted back to where they were 30 years ago, only the new characters haven't been developed as well. I don't understand the choices made in this movie, it somehow manages to move things both forward and backward at the same time.

I cannot believe the main plot of this film was about a ship being chased. Not only that, but I can't believe how boring that part of the movie was. Everything with Rey and Kylo Ren was interesting. But the Luke and Rey 'teaching' was so poorly handled, so under developed, that it ended up being nothing more than a waste of time because in the end Luke taught her essentially nothing. What a ****ing waste of everyone's time this was.

Damn...you didn't like it?

I'm still seeing the movie tomorrow, but honestly nearly all the excitement I had leading up to the film is now gone. I'm sure I'll enjoy it more tomorrow, but everything that happens in it just doesn't appeal to me at all and sounds disappointing. I really hope seeing the movie changes my mind. And again, I have no problem with Luke dying as long as it made sense to the plot and gave us a chance to see him go out in a blaze of glory - not sitting in a cave with essentially a virtual reality headset on.

I am so pumped and ready for Friday. Can’t wait to experience all the spoilers I’ve read finally in front of my eyes. Love what I’ve ready, Friday needs to hurry up already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"