The Last Jedi General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I saw that as one of the main themes of TLJ. The Jedi and Sith are caught in an endless loop. They have to find a new paradigm. Whatever that is, I know it isn’t a lightsaber battle between Kylo and Rey.

100% agreed. I really hope it goes this direction. My fear is that it won't because I am not as high on JJ Abrams overall as I am Johnson, but I am hoping he runs with that idea. I just don't want the saga to end on a meaningless saber duel between good and evil. I just want more out of my Star Wars.

100% agreed. I really hope it goes this direction. My fear is that it won't because I am not as high on JJ Abrams overall as I am Johnson, but I am hoping he runs with that idea. I just don't want the saga to end on a meaningless saber duel between good and evil. I just want more out of my Star Wars.

Shush now, I want my damn lightsaber duel! It's Star Wars! :argh:

And yet I can't see how they can avoid it. I said this a while back, but TLJ ends in a way that makes sense for the conclusion of a trilogy, not as the middle chapter, and yet it is the middle chapter. The issue is there's no easy place to go from here one way or the other. If Rey is this powerful now and Kylo is no longer a challenge, and she knows her parents are nobody, what's the underlying character journey we're working with for episode 9? What's the challenge for Rey now that all her questions have been answered? They condensed a trilogy's worth of character arc into two films.

I disagree entirely. TLJ raised some questions about the force and the goals of the old Jedi order. I think it set-up Episode IX wonderfully for a grand conclusion, should Abrams have to creativity to keep taking the story bold directions.

Which poses an interesting question - do you think there's still room for Kylo to come back after this point? After TFA I would have still said yes, long a road as it may have been, but it sort of seemed from this that even Leia's close to giving up on him by now.

Kylo sure seems all-in on the conquerer lifestyle now, not like he didn't have a couple of big moments in the second and third acts to reconsider.

Which sort of gets us to like...Rey's probably going to have to fight him in some way shape or form. Not entirely sure Kylo's going to die, but you'd think an actual throwdown almost has to happen, given where we are.

EDIT: I don't know that Kylo's "no longer a challenge", JMC. They seemed basically equals in the throne room, maybe even with Kylo edging her out a little.

I am sure a fight will happen. I just want the fights to have layers, to have meaning. The duels in the OT were more than good vs evil fights. That is my point. I want Rey vs Kylo to MEAN something. Not just be like the PT, where it basically was "Hey, I am a Jedi. You're a Sith. We fight!" I am just less invested than that. There is less character struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"