• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

Who's missing the point now? Nobody mentioned Finn, or the modern Resistance, like at all.

A point was made that executions are solely an Empire/First Order thing, the retort is that the military-intelligence/black-ops wing of the OT Rebellion has come pretty close. Motivations are different, absolutely, but all said and done it's still getting rid of an on-your-side inconvenience (one who there's no evidence is a traitor, or death-offense criminal of any sort) with a blaster to the back.

Point being, we have an example on film that the good guys, when pushed, are capable of some pretty cold sh*t. And the follow-up point was literally that it's not the same thing as what Vader does. You're projecting again.
Did you read the conversation at all? It was about Finn from the start...

The Rebellion killed around 1 million people on each death star. Some of those people being slaves and wrongfully imprisoned beings and non combatant imperials. With the first death star it can be argued that it was self defense because the death star was about to destroy yavin. But that doesn't change the fact that they sacrificed a million people to save themselves and for the greater good. In the case of the second death star they attacked it when it was under construction meaning there were no doubt contracted workers and more slaves than were on the first death star. They attacked the second death star when it posed no immediate threat to any planet. Because they believed it was for the greater good. The Rebellion is more than capable of making unilateral decisions when they think it's good for the galaxy and it's people.

And there seems to be an attempt to paint DJ as less of a POS than he is. He didnt just "cross" Finn. That makes it sound as if Finn is some petty boss with a petty grudge. DJ sold people's lives for cash and then shrugged about it and walked away with his money. That's beyond heinous. It's the sort of thing that deserves an execution. So no it wouldnt be murder. Itd be justice delivered.
DJ is awful. What does that have to do with Finn just randomly executing DJ out of revenge?

You mentioned earlier that Finn can't "fall to the dark side". The Force is everything. You don't have to be a Jedi to fall to the dark side. It is exactly why Luke, confronted with the chance to kill Vader at the end of RotJ doesn't. Why he throws his lightsaber down. Because such actions are not the actions of someone in the light. You don't seek revenge because it feels good. This is all made explicit throughout the Star Wars films, even in TLJ, where Luke couldn't kill Kylo, even as he knew he had already turned.

Also the Death Star argument is so tired. They Death Star is worked on and manned by Imperials. It is literally a weapon of fascism.

Let's bring this into a real world scenario. Imagine American soldiers in Afghanistan or some other hostile war zone. A group of american soldiers is cut off from help and being hunted. Someone tries to sell those troops to a terrorist group for cash and in doing so gets some of the soldiers killed. Gets some non combatants killed too. How do you think the military would respond if it found out a person did that? You think they'd let it go? No, they'd hunt the person down like a dog and kill the person. I expect nothing less from the Rebellion. It's a military and a refugee group. Its operating in a war zone during a a time of war and it has no backup or aid of any kind. And DJ tried to destroy it for cash. Not only that but by doing so he was helping destroy the last opposition to the First Order. Which means he pretty much sold the whole galaxy to the First Order for his own personal profit.
That would probably be a war crime unless the party was an active combatant or an actual threat in the moment.

Not really, about the last thing. At least not necessarily prosecuted. Guys on the right side of wars do the wrong thing all the time and it just flies as part of the horrors of what goes on. We shot surrendering SS guys on-sight after the Battle Of The Bulge, brass didn't care, certain Australian & British units were taking Japanese ears & noses as trophies in the Pacific, the works.

Broad comparisons, not entirely apples for apples, but this stuff goes on in every conflict. Always has, always will.

Not really, about the last thing. At least not necessarily prosecuted. Guys on the right side of wars do the wrong thing all the time and it just flies as part of the horrors of what goes on. We shot surrendering SS guys on-sight after the Battle Of The Bulge, brass didn't care, certain Australian & British units were taking Japanese ears & noses as trophies in the Pacific, the works.

Broad comparisons, not entirely apples for apples, but this stuff goes on in every conflict. Always has, always will.
Yes. All war crimes. Things you'd also never see Finn do and if say Rey, Finn or Poe saw someone doing those things, they'd stop them.

It's only a "war crime" when acknowledged & tried as such. Point being, there's a certain degree of these horrors which just fly as part of doing business among military brass, safety-valves for enlisted troops lashing out rather than snapping & ending up in the funny farm.

It's wrong, it shouldn't happen (though of course it always will, do-gooders will never stamp that out of the human psyche, it's part of who we are), though ehh, plenty of stuff while technically "war crimes" the UN is never going to pursue.

Obviously not the same thing as Cassian, I don't know what he did would even rise to that war crime bar, unseemly as it is. Again, it's just stuff that actually happens, the messy reality of war (i.e. the good guys do ****ed-up stuff and yet nevertheless are legitimately the good guys), and that's what they were getting at.

As the other guy said earlier: majority of the people on the Death Star were likely not hardcore sycophantic "we love Palpatine!" true believers, just engineers & cooks & cleaners & administrators taking what jobs were out there (being in a lot of cases public-sector Empire gigs). Doesn't mean the Rebels weren't right in blowing it to hell. "War crime", you betcha - intentionally taking out an installation knowing tens of thousands of civvies were on board. Necessary, though? Hell yeah.

tumblr_p5emix1hz71x60xj6o2_540.gif

tumblr_p5emix1hz71x60xj6o1_540.gif

I think it would have been cool if each of them kept one half of the hilt and built new saber hilts from those halves. Kylo using his half for evil and Rey using her half for good would have been a good metaphor for the duality of light and dark in the Skywalker blood line.

I think it would have been cool if each of them kept one half of the hilt and built new sabre hilts from those halves. Kylo using his half for evil and Rey using her half for good would have been a good metaphor for the duality of light and dark in the Skywalker blood line.
She'd have to be related for that.

No she wouldnt. The lightsaber can be used as a symbol of the Skywalkers regardless of who uses it .

How could you use half of a single lightsaber?

I suppose you could throw it at somebody.

I hope we get some news or something soon, we seem to have hit a lull...

Will Oscar Isaac take up a lightsaber against foes?

How do you think Like will feature in the movie? Do you think Abrams in a way to please some of the fans may give him a proper action scene or some bad assery like Darth Vader in Rogue One?

Will How do you think Like will feature in the movie? Do you think Abrams in a way to please some of the fans may give him a proper action scene or some bad assery like Darth Vader in Rogue One?

That would be the worst thing they could do. It was bad enough they did it with Vader.

I hope however they use him is magical and inspiring.

If Luke fights - which he really won't be able to do unless he somehow becomes corporeal again - it'll be in a style similar to Alec Guiness' in ANH, not a lot of acrobatics, I think.

But I suspect they'll leave the fighting to the younger actors.

If Luke fights - which he really won't be able to do unless he somehow becomes corporeal again - it'll be in a style similar to Alec Guiness' in ANH, not a lot of acrobatics, I think.

But I suspect they'll leave the fighting to the younger actors.
We know how Luke fights at this point:

'Star Wars' Chief Kathleen Kennedy's Lucasfilm Deal Extended for Three Years (Exclusive)

Sources tell THR that Episode IX will be the last of the "chapter" installments, with Disney planning on touting it as a selling point in the promotion campaign for the film in the year leading up to its release. Lucasfilm is developing feature projects from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, as well as a potential trilogy from Rian Johnson, the filmmaker behind Last Jedi. Johnson, however, is currently prepping to shoot a detective thriller that is to star Daniel Craig.

Sources say that the near future of Star Wars lies in television with Kennedy-led Lucasfilm planning on expanding the universe with new characters in that medium. The shows at this stage include a live-action series run by Jon Favreau (which is currently casting) and the animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars, both of which will air on Disney’s untitled streaming service, which is set to launch in the second half of 2019. Meanwhile, another animated series, Star Wars Resistance, premieres this month on The Disney Channel.

Lucasfilm is also developing a new Indiana Jonesmovie, the fifth in a series starring Harrison Ford and directed by Spielberg, but that project recently saw its release date push from July 10, 2020, to July 9, 2021. Script issues were the cause. The last Jonesmovie, 2008's The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, grossed $786 million worldwide, adjusted for

Well, I'm sure a whole bunch of fanboys just got angry

Last edited:
I’m actually genuinely surprised she wanted to stick around. Not sure about the whole TV thing though. Seems they’ve all but abandoned any long term film plans.

I’m actually genuinely surprised she wanted to stick around. Not sure about the whole TV thing though. Seems they’ve all but abandoned any long term film plans.

I'm not so surprised she wanted to stick around and that they've extended her contract. The question to me is whether she'll remain the head of creative as well or whether that role will be delegated to someone else .

I definitely think that the SW franchise will shift more of its focus to tv and be less ambitious in terms of putting out films every year. At this point, I think they realize they don't have to put out SW films every year in order to keep the franchise viable.

Well they just made 9 even more important to the franchise.
I loved 7 and RO and thought Solo was decent. Hated 8.
She still got a positive track record for me but for part of the fanbase she is a pill they are no longer willing to swallow. This could have effect on the BO of 9.
I still would have replaced her or at least placed someone at her side like Filoni that understands the story of Star Wars.

Disney is putting all their chips on this and i hope it will not turn out bad. I still love this franchise even if i have cooled off a lot lately.

I definitely think that the SW franchise will shift more of its focus to tv and be less ambitious in terms of putting out films every year. At this point, I think they realize they don't have to put out SW films every year in order to keep the franchise viable.
I saw a meme earlier this year that said "Hard pill to swallow: If Star Wars movies are released every year, it becomes less special", and I think that's 100% true.

I think slowing down with the films is a good idea. Any news that proves Grace Randolph is a fraud is A-OK with me.

Bob Iger seems to be taking some of the blame regarding Solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"