Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

I would do a new standalone Godzilla movie next. Maybe GvK3 after it. I would maybe have some big monster kill Kong in the final fight. They have to make changes at some point. If they want to bring him back they can do it King Kong Lives style. It wouldn't be too ridiculous after this movie. :D
I would be all for a Kong or Godzilla solo, but I am wondering if at this point they feel like the duo are needed to sell the brand. Cause this to me felt like a Kong solo they modified to add Godzilla into cause GvK made money while KOTM struggled. So I don't think they're prioritizing monster solos. That's just my observation

I don't think we're getting any other solo movies for either Godzilla or Kong to be honest. The former's last solo movie bombed at the box office and I doubt Legendary would be interested in doing a third Godzilla entry, even taking Minus One's success into account.

If Legendary digs deep and gives us a solo with the same gravitas of Minus One, then I'd be willing to see that. But I don't see that in the cards.

Last Hollywood monster movie that had something to say was Cloverfield.

I don't think we're getting any other solo movies for either Godzilla or Kong to be honest. The former's last solo movie bombed at the box office and I doubt Legendary would be interested in doing a third Godzilla entry, even taking Minus One's success into account.
Kong: Skull Island is still the highest grossing Monsterverse movie so maybe a new Kong solo movie is possible.

Except GvK and GxK are already essentially Kong movies with Godzilla as a supporting character. Moreso the latter from what I've been hearing, so that would be pointless when he's already the focal character of the Monsterverse right now, even with the Monarch show's upcoming second season.

Except GvK and GxK are already essentially Kong movies with Godzilla as a supporting character. Moreso the latter from what I've been hearing, so that would be pointless when he's already the focal character of the Monsterverse right now, even with the Monarch show's upcoming second season.
I think GvK was more even than GxK was as far as focus. But I do agree it leans Kong. GxK like I said, it feels more like a Kong movie that Godzilla is just...in

GvK leans Kong, but Godzlla still gets his due and is central to the plot ie Mecha-G

GxK is a Kong movie.
Take Godzilla, Shimo and Mothra out of the film...and it doesn't change the plot all that much. Hell they even talk about how Godzilla and Mothra were the ones to defeat SK and Shimo the first time and yet SK has no real reaction to them. He's mainly focused on being a dick to Kong and torturing Shimo with the crystal

If we get the 3quel, I hope its more Godzilla focused, but Kong shouldn't get the short stick ether.

I got excited for a moment and checked - Monarch season 2 unfortunately hasn't been confirmed yet.

I would be all for a Kong or Godzilla solo, but I am wondering if at this point they feel like the duo are needed to sell the brand. Cause this to me felt like a Kong solo they modified to add Godzilla into cause GvK made money while KOTM struggled. So I don't think they're prioritizing monster solos. That's just my observation

I do think Kong has a bit more of a wider international appeal. And honestly, based on my understanding of how this series is able to continue, I just don't think they are dropping the Godzilla and Kong aspect for a while.

Of course the real brave move would be to do a Mothra solo.

If Legendary digs deep and gives us a solo with the same gravitas of Minus One, then I'd be willing to see that. But I don't see that in the cards.

Last Hollywood monster movie that had something to say was Cloverfield.

I got excited for a moment and checked - Monarch season 2 unfortunately hasn't been confirmed yet.
Damn. Here's hoping we get an announcement soon, especially after that cliffhanger.

The problem with that is, there's not much you could do with her pre-KOTM.

I thought it was neither better or worse than the last few movies. This franchise feels like the current equivalent to the Transformers movies - critics think they're bad, fans at best seem to be "its dumb fun!" and the movies have some human characters in a small cockpit looking off screen to giant creatures punching each other through the wonders of CGI.

For me personally it's hard to rank any of these movies over 6/10 because there's really not much depth or anything interesting going on aside from seeing Kong or Godzilla (which is fun for a few minutes but also wears off a bit). Maybe it would be more fun if the plot was better than "X has to fight Y or we die" or if the characters were more interesting but I think a key issue for me is that because you have these massive titans fighting, you need a lot of CGI and when you put so much CGI into it, a lot of the movie just looks fake, like a video game cutscene. It's hard to feel the weight of Godzilla or Kong smashing through buildings or waves in the ocean when it doesn't "feel" real.

I still had an enjoyable 2 hours at the cinema with my dad and sister so I don't mean to sound too negative!
The reason I rank some a little higher is due to the emotion I get from Kong, ala Caesar.

Watching this after Dune Part Two felt like an insult to one's intelligence.

Horrifically bad and cheap CGI (this looks worse than GvK, most fights look like PS4 cutscenes), the humans are once more insufferable (for the 5th time now in the Monsterverse) and even the score is forgettable. It's once again a Kong film with a Godzilla cameo and the latter has around 7 mins of screentime total. No sense of scale any heaviness anymore - Godzilla runs around, punches things and does suplexes like in a WWE fight (last bit is a legit scene that happens in the film).

I might go see Dune for a 7th time to flush the bad taste left in my memory.

I expected at least to have fun watching big Kaiju monsters punching each other, but this had zero effort put in it on all fronts (and I loved Godzilla '14 and KOTM). Everything after just gets worse and worse, until it became a parody of itself.

2/10. It makes GvK look like a Citizen Kane.

Horrifically bad and cheap CGI (this looks worse than GvK, most fights look like PS4 cutscenes), the humans are once more insufferable (for the 5th time now in the Monsterverse) and even the score is forgettable. It's once again a Kong film with a Godzilla cameo and the latter has around 7 mins of screentime total. No sense of scale any heaviness anymore - Godzilla runs around, punches things and does suplexes like in a WWE fight (last bit is a legit scene that happens in the film).

I expected at least to have fun watching big Kaiju monsters punching each other, but this had zero effort put in it on all fronts (and I loved Godzilla '14 and KOTM). Everything after just gets worse and worse, until it became a parody of itself.

po00rZ.gif

Kind of like horror, you need to expect what genre of movie you are watching.

And Godzilla's Revenge makes GxK look like Casablanca

The Tribal Chief just inducted Godzilla and Kong into the Bloodline

*Points Finger to the sky*

po00rZ.gif

Kind of like horror, you need to expect what genre of movie you are watching.

I knew what to expect as I really like the Kaiju genre.

But it has to be done right. GvK was better executed. It had better lightning, visuals and a sense of scale. GxK throws all of that away.

I really don't think GvK was excecuted better. The split between the human characters was rough. And while the human story wasn't exactly better (though I will still fight for Ilene and Jia to return in the sequel), instead of trying to give that free time to more humans, it was given to the monsters. Sure, the Godzilla stuff was kind of just there. But would rather have that or stuff more human stuff in there, probably just as "needed".

I dont think GvK is miles better than GxK, but I do think it's better overall. The 2nd Kong vs Godzilla fight that becomes Godzilla & Kong vs Mechagodzilla was cinema. I don't think GxK has anything as satisfying as that section of GvK. Though it has well done monster action as well

I liked it more than you did, but fair points. The weightlessness of the kaiju is something that I found unfortunate, even Godzilla vs. Kong still had a stronger sense of scale and heftiness to the creatures.

Kong's Pocket Sand vs Godzilla's RKO Cutter/Suplex?

Am I the only one who gets a weird feeling from them being so nonchalant about the destruction in the films? You see Kong or Godzilla throw another kaiju through 6 apartment buildings with some hundred people dying in seconds, or just one of them levelling half a city to the ground yet its all breezed over in such a way that it doesn't feel realistic. Like I get that you don't show the people dying or it would be as miserable as a Zack Snyder DC film, but when you treat it like none of this matters it makes it feel kinda empty and meaningless I suppose? It gets to a point when you think "So what if these monsters take over the planet? They've already ruined half of it"

Am I the only one who gets a weird feeling from them being so nonchalant about the destruction in the films? You see Kong or Godzilla throw another kaiju through 6 apartment buildings with some hundred people dying in seconds, or just one of them levelling half a city to the ground yet its all breezed over in such a way that it doesn't feel realistic. Like I get that you don't show the people dying or it would be as miserable as a Zack Snyder DC film, but when you treat it like none of this matters it makes it feel kinda empty and meaningless I suppose? It gets to a point when you think "So what if these monsters take over the planet? They've already ruined half of it"

Your not wrong to feel that way, but Im not sure the movies are the best place the Monsterverse can address those topics.

The Monarch Show should dive into those topics (and it has a bit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"