Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

I had an absolute blast with this and I think I actually prefer it over the first movie. The goofy human stuff is still there but when it comes to the Kaiju action I could not have been more satisfied.

As a BIG Kaiju/monster movie fan those last 20-30 minutes was pretty much everything I wanted out of one of these Monster-verse films and Kong's badassery was on full display here and I loved it.

7.5/10

Also Ranking:

1. Godzilla X Kong
2. Kong: Skull Island
3. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
4. Godzilla Vs. Kong
5. Godzilla 2014

Ranking:

1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
2. Godzilla
3. Godzilla vs. Kong
4. Kong: Skull Island
5. Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

I like them all, but KotM is the film I enjoy the most. It's the most visually arresting one, I like Dougherty's direction a lot and Bear McCreary nails the score in a way that's both fresh and nostalgic. It also still retains some of the weight and majesty of 2014's Godzilla film, while having a livelier tone and a greater variety of kaiju. To me, it also has the best human cast. GvK and GxK have plenty of similarities but vs. is just the better-made film and I like the fight sequences more. I've sandwiched Skull Island between them, even though I think it's a better film than GvK, but it's not very memorable to me compared to the other movies and I'm just not a huge Kong guy. Oddly enough, I've seen it probably six times which is a lot more than I can say for the other MonsterVerse films.

I want to see this again before ranking it, which probably won't happen until it hits 4k/streaming. But if I were doing so by my gut right now, it'd for me be:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Godzilla vs Kong
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla
Kong: Skull Island

Hot takes, I know lol! Godzilla would be higher if not for them having no human character to anchor the film after Cranston dies. Up to the point where he dies, that movie is near top of the list. Kong Skull Island I again loved the opening and I wish the entire movie was about the Japanese and American soldier having to trust each other and survive. Once it becomes a Marvel reunion, the characters are so boring to me. I think boring humans is an issue with all 5 movies, so it comes down to kaiju action. KOTM, GvK, and GxK have the best kaiju action. Even if the plots don't strive for a lot and are dumb.

You guys and your rankings are reminding me that I need to rewatch Godzilla 2014 and Skull Island again.

But if I had to place anything at the top, right now I pick KOTM.

I dont think GvK is miles better than GxK, but I do think it's better overall. The 2nd Kong vs Godzilla fight that becomes Godzilla & Kong vs Mechagodzilla was cinema. I don't think GxK has anything as satisfying as that section of GvK. Though it has well done monster action as well

I was surprised at Mothra's showing. It was actually her best showing in a while, probably since the Mothra movies[/spoiler[]

Am I the only one who gets a weird feeling from them being so nonchalant about the destruction in the films? You see Kong or Godzilla throw another kaiju through 6 apartment buildings with some hundred people dying in seconds, or just one of them levelling half a city to the ground yet its all breezed over in such a way that it doesn't feel realistic. Like I get that you don't show the people dying or it would be as miserable as a Zack Snyder DC film, but when you treat it like none of this matters it makes it feel kinda empty and meaningless I suppose? It gets to a point when you think "So what if these monsters take over the planet? They've already ruined half of it"

Kaiju movies are essentially disaster movies. The destruction is part of the appeal. And, having a 100m tall monster randomly destroying things is a lot different than a man sized human who is trying to protect people just ignoring the destruction they are causing.

Well, at least in Hollow Earth, there's a reason for their weightlessness so that complaint is a bit much for those portions. On land? Sure, but I personally think it's cool seeing Godzilla be a brickhouse that can move, it's refreshing.

Deadline Reporting Friday/Thursday Night Opening Day of $35 Million....

It was definitely a good Friday for Legendary and Warner Bros with more walk-up business than expected as Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire is now posting a $35M first day (plus previews) putting on the path to a $75M opening weekend. Also, the sequel nabbed an A- CinemaScore, which is the second best CinemaScore for a Monsterverse movie after 2021’s Godzilla vs. Kong, which was also directed by Adam Wingard.

Yeah, based on my crowd, it was definitely a crowd pleaser.

Will be interesting to see how Warner will take the reception. Not so good reviews but good audience response. Or course most people who score it Rotten Tomatoes are fans who like it but still. That CinemaScore is great. Personally I hope the next movie will be more serious. I don't think this is the style they should continue with.

Im curious too see how it does next week. Is it bound for just a one weekend party or will it have some legs.

There's not a whole lot coming out in April, so maybe it can stomp around at the box office for a few weeks.

Will be interesting to see how Warner will take the reception. Not so good reviews but good audience response. Or course most people who score it Rotten Tomatoes are fans who like it but still. That CinemaScore is great. Personally I hope the next movie will be more serious. I don't think this is the style they should continue with.

I mean, its no Barbie, sure. But, uhh, I don't think WB is going to be too against Legendary continuing it, looking at their 2023 box office. Especially if you look at their cbms. GxK will likely take over half of Aquaman 2's domestic box office in one weekend.

I just think the economics of the monsterverse is such that I don't think Legendary can afford to go serious. Merch was a big reason why we got this movie, and to sell that merch, you are going to need the kids. The action is going to need to be bright and colorful.

Ideally, Monarch is a good way to go for your seriousness in this universe. And, Toho is back in business, but you can never tell what they will put out.

Haven't watched this yet (will definitely do so once I get more time in the coming days) but it's looking like this will be a big win. And as someone who loves the MonsterVerse & just these characters in general, it's extremely nice to see it being a crowd pleaser that many have a lot of good things to say about it.

I'm glad it's making money. I was a bit worried, the opening night showing I went to had maybe 25 people (out of a capacity of 405), but you never know what clicks and where.

Last edited:
There definitely seems to be a difference in what the critics think of the movie compared to the average movie goer. That's a good cinema score for a 'rotten' movie.

Kong in this movie:

jqIS7dHdrdqvK.gif

I enjoyed New Empire. I like how it was much more Kong-centric, which feels even more important since Skull Island hasn't had any kind of sequel. I dare say that this film could've been all about Kong without Godzilla showing up until when he was most needed. I enjoyed the human characters and Dan Stevens is always a welcome addition in anything.

Good film with a great final fight sequence.

I liked it but didn't love it.

Fun times with the monsters (the apes are the MVPs!) and the human cast is serviceable but I found the climax so rushed that it doesn't do the set-up/stakes justice IMO. Just as it starts ramping up, the movie starts sprinting towards wrapping it up as well.

For comparison, the climaxes of G14-KOTM-GvK all felt like these massive setpieces/mini-movies in themselves: San Francisco-Boston-the extended Hong Kong battle. While in GXK:
The Hollow Earth gravity battle and Skar King finally making it to the surface world feels like the 2nd act culmination/lead in to a sprawling 3rd act, but the Rio battle was surprisingly short for me. I can't help but think of when the MUTOs/Ghidorah/MechaG all had their moments of "victory"/putting up a challenge for our heroes.

But enough of that, I'd also like to think of what I did enjoy:

- various monsters battles sprinkled throughout
- the monsters getting to shine and showing their personalities
- nice build up to Skar King!
- Godzilla and Shimo have short and sweet roles, nothing new for the genre.

Overall, I guess a 7/10 for me. (my rankings of the various Monsterverse movies are ever changing hahahaha)

Last edited:
This movie is ridiculous. I loved it. Had the most audience response I’ve seen during a film since either No Way Home or Multiverse of Madness. And I loved seeing the theater so packed!
When Kong and Godzilla were charging, and Kong jumped on Godzilla I almost wanted to cheer haha

Saw it with my 6 y.o. daughter today. There were a bunch of kids at the showing today too. This is what's gonna help the box office for GXK a lot in terms of legs, the kiddies, and they were all psychopaths during it, in a good way.

The best part of watching this with my kid was her utter delight when Mothra showed up. Its far and away her favorite kaiju, and the surprise had her going nuts. Awesome time at the movies.

Last edited:
There definitely seems to be a difference in what the critics think of the movie compared to the average movie goer. That's a good cinema score for a 'rotten' movie.

I don't really get this point. I'm a critic. I reviewed the movie. I enjoyed it. But I can also see how people might not like the movie or view it as really stupid and vapid.

I think anything involving the humans was just bad. The dialogue was bad. But I will credit Adam Wingard because whenever the monsters were onscreen, they were interesting, and it was able to tell a compelling story about the Titans without dialogue.

IMHO the MonsterVerse movies are not great movies, and they never have been. They're not masterpieces. And that's fine. But just because we're having like a Kaiju and Godzilla renaissance right now doesn't mean that critics are obligated to like Godzilla x Kong and that this movie is high art.

My problem is people make it sound like critics not liking audience-friendly or commercially successful movies is some new thing. It's not. We've seen this for virtual decades. Look no further than the Fast franchise. The Transformers film franchise. There are tons of examples of this.

I enjoyed this movie from the respect that it was embracing kind of that latter half of the Showa era of "fun" Godzilla movie. Godzilla is more of an antihero or superhero than this primal force of nature or a commentary on nuclear weapons. Those are not my favorite Godzilla movies, but I enjoy them as well. It's fine that Godzilla x Kong was like that, but I don't think anyone is obligated to like it because I found it fun.

I had a blast with this. The movie takes a bit to get going, it has a LONG act I that drags at times but when the plot kicks into gear the movie just blasts off like a rocket launcher.

This movie is what it is, guys, its as big and dumb as the first movie and but its a good FUN summer blockbuster movie. The kind you just kick back and relax with sugary and salty snacks with your friends and family and watch the spectacle. And I think Wingard has a good creative eye for action and spectacle and does it really well.

Also, I gotta ask all you Godzilla fans out there how you feel about these movies because lets keep it real, both of these supposed "team up" movies so far have basically been King Kong films with Big G making guest appearances. These movies are in no way about Godzilla at all.

People can enjoy bad movies. Bad movies can be bad in a way that still allows people to have fun with them. I mean, horror films aren't exactly critic darlings, but a lot of them find a good enough audience.

That's pretty damn WILD IMO

10 mil on Thurs and 27 Mill on Friday. We're crossing 50 Mil today for sure.

Do you think we could hit 80? I mean hell the high 60s is looking kinda low now.

Deadline was talking about $75, maybe hitting $80. So, we will see.

I had a blast with this. The movie takes a bit to get going, it has a LONG act I that drags at times but when the plot kicks into gear the movie just blasts off like a rocket launcher.

This movie is what it is, guys, its as big and dumb as the first movie and but its a good FUN summer blockbuster movie. The kind you just kick back and relax with sugary and salty snacks with your friends and family and watch the spectacle. And I think Wingard has a good creative eye for action and spectacle and does it really well.

Also, I gotta ask all you Godzilla fans out there how you feel about these movies because lets keep it real, both of these supposed "team up" movies so far have basically been King Kong films with Big G making guest appearances. These movies are in no way about Godzilla at all.

A lot of Godzilla movies are rarely actually about Godzilla. A lot of times, its about the villain threat, and he shows up to save the day. Kind of like he was here. And honestly, with all the restrictions Toho has in place for Godzilla, it kind of makes it hard to make a film that is focused on Godzilla like Kong was here or in the last one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"