Solo Han Solo Movie Box office Thread - Part 1

no way solo is more popular than anakin, though I agree with your point. Star wars is a event franchise and should remain that.
What ?:huh:
Solo, at least the Harrison Ford character, is one of cinema’s most popular characters of all times. Anakin....looooool

He must mean by extension Darth Vader. Prequel films Anakin is obviously not comparably popular just on his own.

E0VAPEz.png

It could pass 24 days for 90% of its domestic gross on Sunday or Monday.

Final domestic gross to be $213-218 Million

For the second time, Solo was above Rogue One yesterday. Both on holidays: Memorial Day (S = RO +5.68%) and Independence Day (S = RO +13.45%). For the first time, it was also above Star Wars: The Last Jedi (S = TLJ +25.20%).

XK6Vxdg.png

It would seem schools being out for the summer deflates the weekends and inflates the weekdays. And times when schools are in session with no holidays deflates the weekdays and inflates the weekends. Solo's early comparisons to RO and TLJ were crushed by the December holiday break.

I think you'll find its the particular film and time during its run. In particular, any people left that are going to Solo atm are not kids, but older people. So that would likely skew your assessment of how schools would effect this, particularly with such a low weekend.

Either way, it didn't even make a million over the weekend, so this is already dead and buried at ~$380 million, with a couple million more to scrape the barrel.

Japan so far has added a whole $4.5 million, so any hopes it would get Solo to $400 million are done.

^ yeap. Stick a fork in it folks, because this movie is toast

just finally got around to seeing this... went on the 4th... still surprising number on people there/was half excepting to have the place to my self

It's only made $4.5m in Japan so far? so it's gonna make what $15m max over there? Damn, Rogue One made almost $40m in Japan, this is an unmitigated disaster in every way, every way. Lucasfilm needs to get it together man or this franchise is gonna nosedive.

Week 7 complete. The Solo movie lost a lot of theaters.

BcHyB65.png

Vrn8XSO.png

Thank you for your analysis.

I am going to revise my prediction once more:

Final domestic gross to be $213-215 million dollars.

TFA did $124.2m.

R1 - $69.5m

TLJ - $42.6m

Solo to date - $16.5m

That proves my point.

TFA made that much based on the online hype beforehand. People just wanted to go to see what the fuss was about. They went and didn't see what the fuss was about.

Rogue One had two big name stars that still couldn't draw the audience. The $42mill for TLJ is simply those few there who still have an interest. Solo is not a continuation of the ST - it was never going to hook people there.

The point isn't merely that Solo did poorly in China. It did but the degree was shocking even with the record of SW movies there. For Mexico, a country with less than 10% of China's population and a fraction of the wealth to be a bigger market for any movie than China was for Solo is the perspective part.

My point is that it is not that shocking at all and comparing the results any other country is pointless.

Star Wars a history and a fan community everywhere else, regardless of wealth, but has never had a market in China. The only reason TFA got that much money s based on the the non-stop hype it was getting online from the Disney sale through the production and all the chatter, rumours and speculation. People in China were simply going along to see what it wall about based on the gossip alone - very few made the effort to seek out and watch the other movies beforehand. Most didn't bother because they weren't the movies causing the fuss online. And most didn't get what all the excitement was about.

The drop off in the rest of the movies box offices takings is not at all surprising - nor is the very low take for Solo. The movie is not a continuation TFA and those characters - and without being familiar with the OT why would they be interested in a film about Han? The only reason Rogue One did that money was Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen.

As far as i remember the originals were not realsed in China in the 70s and 80s but much later. And they never became that cultural phenomenon they were in the West. There is hardly any nostalgia for Star Wars in China.

Exactly. Chinese people, in general, just don't care. It isn't a thing there.

You show a photo of Darth Vader almost anywhere in the world and you'll have people who at least know something about what he is - not in China. When I lived there I knew, or had online contact, with over 100 current and former English language teachers who used an image of Star Wars (mainly of Vader) is some kind of lesson about language and Western culture and I was the only one who had student who not only knew who Darth Vader was but had also seen the movies. None (not an exaggeration) of the other teachers had a student who had seen Vader before, let alone recognise him as something in pop culture

And I don't think the any of the movies got a cinema release in China until just before TFA.

I don't envy Abrams. He's going to have to craft a movie that addresses the issues some fans had with TLJ, deals with the loss of Carrie Fisher, and delivers a satisfying conclusion to not only the current trilogy but the entire nine-movie Skywalker arc. And he has to do all of these perfectly.

It ain't gonna be easy.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Solo on DVD or Netflix, as I don't think it's going to be in theaters much longer.

What makes you think Abrams thinks there are issues with TLJ that need to be dealt with?
And if if there was, how exactly does Abrams deal with them? He cannot undo anything that Johnson has done.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if IX is not a conclusion to the story at all, either for the Saga or Rey, Kylo, etc.

Nothing ever needs to be perfect nor can it be. TFA wasn't perfect and it is unreasonable to expect IX to be.

Have you not seen Solo yet? You are missing out on a great movie.

I think Episode 9 will have a big debut weekend. It's the cliff it's looking at the second weekend which will tell the story. If Star Wars continues to carry the narrative of diminished returns, then Disney has a real branding problem.

First let me say, this has been the most disjointed, uninspired trilogy in the history of these movies. We have the finale coming for this trilogy and the questions have almost nothing to do with how invested people are in the story.

Everyone is looking for a "fix" which kind of makes this whole trilogy pointless. The first trilogy built up to a show down between Luke and Vader. The prequels built up to the transformation and fall of Anakin into Vader. The new Disney trilogy is building to... ... ... ? I have no freaking idea.

Is it Days of Our Lives in space with Rey and Kylo mating? Is Luke going to find his mojo as a Force ghost? Is Carrie Fisher going to be recast and Leia finds her Force mojo? It's clear as mud. So I don;t see this film, in any fashion, making better money than Last Jedi.

If Abrams makes another Star Wars clone, people will say they sold out to predictable plot points. If Fisher is recast, there will be a revolt that makes the current one look like a light protest. And if Rey and Kylo fall in love... I don't want to even consider the madness there.

And now the man who basically turned this series sideways is going to write a new trilogy that doesn't resemble anything having to with the brand for the last 40 plus years. What a complete mess.

In what way is the ST "disjointed"? Everything in the Sequels so far fits together. Even moving Kylo Ren's facial wound worked out.

The only "disjointed trilogy" is the OT. Luke & Leia were suddenly made siblings just so the love triangle would get a happy ending causing there prior relationship to be just gross. :p, like why does Luke still have the Skywalker if he is supposed to hidden from the Empire and Vader? Then there are elements in the Prequels that cause further problems - like in Anakin grew up on Tatooine then why does he have any reaction to suddenly being back there when pursuing Leia, if Artoo has never been memory wiped then why doesn't he reveal what he knows about the Skywalker family? If Threepio has been wiped then why does he have the same personality? etc.

The Sequels are very far from "disjointed".

I think to class the trilogy as a whole as "uninspired" is too harsh. The actors, characters and production on the ST are superb - the problem with the backstory - that Abrams and Kasdan just rethread old ground by remaking the Empire and Rebellion simply to have stormtroopers on the posters and a Darth Vader type in the film rather than going for something brand new.

The villains and backstory should have been something new - an invasion from the Unknown Regions by a massive, multiple species army or even give each film in the trilogy a different villain but part of one story.

Last edited:
It's only made $4.5m in Japan so far? so it's gonna make what $15m max over there? Damn, Rogue One made almost $40m in Japan, this is an unmitigated disaster in every way, every way. Lucasfilm needs to get it together man or this franchise is gonna nosedive.

What is it that you think Lucasfilm needs to "get together" though?

What makes you think Abrams thinks there are issues with TLJ that need to be dealt with?
And if if there was, how exactly does Abrams deal with them? He cannot undo anything that Johnson has done.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if IX is not a conclusion to the story at all, either for the Saga or Rey, Kylo, etc.

Nothing ever needs to be perfect nor can it be. TFA wasn't perfect and it is unreasonable to expect IX to be.

While I wouldn't go so far as say couldn't undo anything Johnson has done( this is a fictional story not a biopic), I certainly think JJ isn't going to retcon or undo anything.

I tend to think that nine will tend to not tread on TLJ ground for the most part, with the exception on perhaps elaborating on Rey's past and showing what factors lead to Kylo turning to the darkside.

I actually do think nine is gonna be a conclusion to the story told in 7-9, though it will leave the door open to continue the way ROTJ wasn't a definitive end.

Whether the film is perfect is subjective and in the eye of the beholder really. There are clearly fans who think TLJ is perfect and think TFA is perfect.

That proves my point.

TFA made that much based on the online hype beforehand. People just wanted to go to see what the fuss was about. They went and didn't see what the fuss was about.

Rogue One had two big name stars that still couldn't draw the audience. The $42mill for TLJ is simply those few there who still have an interest. Solo is not a continuation of the ST - it was never going to hook people there.

They didn't see what the fuss was about?

Sorry, but even despite the hype, TFA wouldn't have made it to $2 billion without any repeat viewings. And people went to see it multiple times.

So they must have seen what the fuss was about...

Sorry, but even despite the hype, TFA wouldn't have made it to $2 billion without any repeat viewings. And people went to see it multiple times.

Correct. Star Wars has always been a very top heavy product, with a passionate few having to see it many, many times. They even brag about how many times they've seen it. This is well-documented. Solo did not have that. TLJ didn't have that. A lot of the same people that would normally run it multiple times, were one and done.

One of the reasons that Titanic and Avatar did the business they did is a good majority of the people felt the need to see it multiple times over the course of its run. Far more than Star Wars or Marvel. Most didn't need to see it say 50 times like the superfans, but needed at least twice if not three.

That level of interaction with the film as it pertains to repeat viewing is directly representative of the effect the film had on that fan. Nothing more, nothing less.

You can't buy it, you can't RT it via critics, and when it happens it gives the movie a particular feel that is similar to OCD. People MUST see it until the effect wears off(it'll be different for different people) and not much else matters.

Correct. Star Wars has always been a very top heavy product, with a passionate few having to see it many, many times. They even brag about how many times they've seen it. This is well-documented. Solo did not have that. TLJ didn't have that. A lot of the same people that would normally run it multiple times, were one and done.

One of the reasons that Titanic and Avatar did the business they did is a good majority of the people felt the need to see it multiple times over the course of its run. Far more than Star Wars or Marvel. Most didn't need to see it say 50 times like the superfans, but needed at least twice if not three.

That level of interaction with the film as it pertains to repeat viewing is directly representative of the effect the film had on that fan. Nothing more, nothing less.

You can't buy it, you can't RT it via critics, and when it happens it gives the movie a particular feel that is similar to OCD. People MUST see it until the effect wears off(it'll be different for different people) and not much else matters.

Great insight!

I agree.

I am readjusting my prediction once more XD

$213-214.5 million total domestic gross

Last edited:

He is talking strictly about China and yes, Chinese people weren’t impressed by TFA hence they didn’t see what the fuss was about and abandoned the franchise.

Great insight!

I agree.

I am readjusting my prediction once more XD

$213-214.5 million total domestic gross

Final prediction domestic grand total:

$212.5-213.5 million

Original prediction:

Solo won’t make half as much money as Rogue One domestically ($532 Million / 2 = $266 million)

Prediction Reality.

-50 Million LoL

Result: Kathleen Kennedy fired

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"