Jan. 6: The Failed Insurrection of Donald Trump...

I fail see how executive privilege could extend to someone who's no longer the executive.

I fail see how executive privilege could extend to someone who's no longer the executive.

Its been tradition in the US to officially treat a former president with the same respect as a current president, and to extend them all due deference and a lot of leeway.

They're still talking **** based on nothing at all but evidence-less conspiracies even in the legislature.

Its been tradition in the US to officially treat a former president with the same respect as a current president, and to extend them all due deference and a lot of leeway.
This is really how America is going to collapse, isn't it? Dems being too in love with tradition to take an existential threat to our democratic system seriously. Heck, Trump is openly admitting to pressuring Kemp to steal the election for him AGAIN and AG Merrick Garland does nothing.

These people are like those religious nutjobs who constantly change the date for when the world is going to end.
Seriously. How can they even be.ieve this crap?

Yeah. Because Thanksgiving......

It's starting to look a lot like Christmas

giphy.gif

A good thread analyzing the motivation behind the violent Jan. 6 occupation of the capitol building.

The **** house lawyering of the online world's "debates" is how so many could turn from the truth in front of their eyes from months ago.

The **** house lawyering of the online world's "debates" is how so many could turn from the truth in front of their eyes from months ago.

This is one time when both sides are at fault. In different ways. Dems and the Justice department have let this drag on for too long, and the misdemeanor charges have undermined the idea that it was a serious crime.

They can't act like it's a serious matter while acting like they have all the time in the world to deal with it. And how can the public and media take any supposed coup seriously when the insurrectionists are only being charged with misdemeanors and trespassing?

I hope they at least made her pinky swear to never ever do the bad thing again. :o

This is one time when both sides are at fault. In different ways. Dems and the Justice department have let this drag on for too long, and the misdemeanor charges have undermined the idea that it was a serious crime.

They can't act like it's a serious matter while acting like they have all the time in the world to deal with it. And how can the public and media take any supposed coup seriously when the insurrectionists are only being charged with misdemeanors and trespassing?

You might be right, but I have my doubts. I'm not an attorney, but charging someone with something that may not stick could end up being worse than charging someone with a lesser crime. Say they charge people with treason or something like that and all they have to say is "Trump said it was rigged and I believed him. I was just protesting a rigged election" and maybe they get off. That's hypothetical, but it doesn't seem out of the question. Ditto for the length of time it takes to charge. Make sure you have enough to make any charge stick and that takes time; especially when you are dealing with the sheer volume of people who took part in the insurrection. Overplaying your hand can lead to you looking like an idiot down the road AND encourage people to act similarly in the future when they beat the charge.

I think this belongs squarely on the shoulders of the leaders of the republican party (and media outlets) who downplayed this.

One thing I don't understand is how 80 and then 60 percent of republicans said it was important to prosecute these people and yet I've read polls that say up to 70 percent of republicans think the election was stolen. Something seems wrong there.

You might be right, but I have my doubts. I'm not an attorney, but charging someone with something that may not stick could end up being worse than charging someone with a lesser crime. Say they charge people with treason or something like that and all they have to say is "Trump said it was rigged and I believed him. I was just protesting a rigged election" and maybe they get off. That's hypothetical, but it doesn't seem out of the question. Ditto for the length of time it takes to charge. Make sure you have enough to make any charge stick and that takes time; especially when you are dealing with the sheer volume of people who took part in the insurrection. Overplaying your hand can lead to you looking like an idiot down the road AND encourage people to act similarly in the future when they beat the charge.

I think this belongs squarely on the shoulders of the leaders of the republican party (and media outlets) who downplayed this.

One thing I don't understand is how 80 and then 60 percent of republicans said it was important to prosecute these people and yet I've read polls that say up to 70 percent of republicans think the election was stolen. Something seems wrong there.

I want to be with you in spirit I really do.

The points you brought up aren't minor and I share your POV that there are real reasons to believe things are going on out of sight as that is how the best Federal investigations are run.

The Jan. 6th commission is a good start.

I will just say... Our need for something to happen to people responsible for so much damage to the nation for so many well established reasons that need no re-litigation is both a spiritual/psychological need as it is practical, both in terms of the defense and honor of the democracy within our republic but also the need to ensure turn out is as high as possible and support is as strong as possible for the Republican gerrymandering and voter suppression plans to not skew the outcome.

I know the Biden admin has a lot on its plate. But point blank Garland seems very much out to lunch and there has been no truly important news on the various state fronts in some time in regards to Trump's NON insurrection legal issues, and too boot the mutha keeps incriminating himself in public regularly!

I too inherently caution patience to anyone politically attuned. Our system has become slow and sclerotic at the best of times.

But time is a commodity that can easily slip away. Pressure needs to be applied so that justice and consequences that are essential in defending democracy can flow to those that deserve it.

The Anti-Extremist forces need victories in the court of law against the rising Fascist tide as much as electoral ones. Indeed at this time one will feed the other. Four years is a long time but from Clinton to Obama we can see how a midterm election can be a turning point for Democrats in the WH. GOP majorities do what they do only now we have the Spector of the most corrupt, dangerous and incompetent political movement led by a truly unwell would be absolute dictator with a coterie of equally stupid and vile courtiers who are vengeful in the extreme and whose followers have proven to resort to REAL focused political violence again and again.

This is no "far left" thing, and if those were the only ones being tired of waiting for the hammer to fall to prevent a continuing spiral with no trajectory but down they'd still be justified, but people across the spectrum of Anti-Extremist leanings understand that the sooner we get some scalps the sooner we can patch up society and government and get the engines of the economy roaring again while ensuring the workers benefit and the poor aren't forgotten.

That's just... In my gut but it checks out with reality too I think.

Last edited:
You are ignoring the facts of how the court system works. How the criminal justice system works. The bigger crimes takes longer to investigate. The feds are likely getting a decent amount of help right now in taking down the Proud Boys/Oath Keepers, who are the true insurrectionists. You don't rush something like this.

You are ignoring the facts of how the court system works. How the criminal justice system works. The bigger crimes takes longer to investigate. The feds are likely getting a decent amount of help right now in taking down the Proud Boys/Oath Keepers, who are the true insurrectionists. You don't rush something like this.

I think its more of an issue that the court system is treating this like just another crime. The government, the prosecutors, the judges, the justice department, the FBI are all acting like its just another every day crime and any ol charge that can be made to stick is good enough, and acting like it can take as long as it takes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"