• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

JJ Abrams signs on w/Paramount! Marvel film soon???

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
11 of 12 of Marvel's internal slate is at Paramount, not to mention Paramount also owns the film rights to Deathlok! Hmmmmm?

July 15, 2006

Abrams inks deals with Par, WBTV

J.J. Abrams
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Nellie Andreeva

After several months of active courtship by all major studios, J.J. Abrams has planted his flag at Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros. Television. The feature component of his new deal at Paramount is expected to kick in immediately, while the six-year television pact with WBTV will effectively begin in June 2007. The deal with Paramount Pictures is said to have closed first, followed in the wee hours of Friday by the TV pact with WBTV. The deal with WBTV came as somewhat of a surprise as Touchstone TV, where Abrams was based since 1997, and Sony Pictures TV had been considered the frontrunners to sign the hot writer-director-producer, whose series credits include "Lost," "Alias," "Felicity" and "What About Brian," all produced by Touchstone TV. On the feature side, he made his directorial debut with Paramount Pictures' "Mission: Impossible 3."

So let's see what could he do?

Deathlok
Avengers
Black Panther
Cloak & Dagger
Hawkeye
Thor
Nick Fury :)
Shang Chi

Double hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :)

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com

How about none of the above? He's set to do Star Trek next. He's also still doing Lost.

TheVileOne said:
How about none of the above? He's set to do Star Trek next. He's also still doing Lost.
For the record, he only directed one episode of lost (the pilot). He hasn't been involved since. And after Star Trek is over, I expect him to do one of those projects. :o

He's still a major creative force behind lost.

None of this means he will be attached to a Marvel film.

This has nothing to do with Marvel. Especially since they plan on independently producing their own films. Here's what happened: Tom Cruise wanted JJ for MI3. Brad Grey, the suit who's currently in charge of Paramount's movies, doesn't want JJ. But Tom has clout, especially pre-couch jumping, and so the deal goes through. Then the movie and positive advance reviews about how Abrams "re-invigorated" the franchise reach Brad Grey and he realizes, holy ****, this guy is my bread and butter. So he persuades him to re-invigorate another Paramount franchise because he's incapable of discerning good concepts or talent for himself and is a slave to business trends, and then he signs Abrams to work his magic sometime in the future just in case he still can't find a new franchise because he's just that creatively bankrupt. It's not because Paramount has their eye on a Marvel movie for Abrams; if those movies were really a priority for them, then their first Marvel movie would've been made already. To them, those are risky properties. Plus, Marvel is producing those independtly of Paramount. To assume that Abrams is gearing up to make a Marvel movie when we've heard nothing about Marvel in this business deal is to assume an awful lot.

Magoo pretty much nailed it.

Advanced Dark seems to think whenever a director does something it means they should or are in the process of getting ready to do a Marvel released movie.

Tony Jaa doing Ong Bak means he's going to Shang Chi you know.

TheVileOne said:
Magoo pretty much nailed it.

Advanced Dark seems to think whenever a director does something it means they should or are in the process of getting ready to do a Marvel released movie.

Tony Jaa doing Ong Bak means he's going to Shang Chi you know.

Favreau got his job on Iron Man via Paramount even though Paramount is only distributing it. Paramount is also cutting back on the # of franchises it's developing to go after more high profile event films in producing & distribution. Fewer projects but with alot of punch. I also "Obnoxious One" put a ??? after the title of my thread. Still it's a likely scenerio. Just like I said Favreau would direct Iron Man and you denied it for weeks. Am I going to have to set you straight on Saturday? And yeah Tony Jaa would be fun to watch as Shang Chi IMO. No wonder you worship Harry Knowes so much....you act just like him. You have this holier than though attitude whenever someone suggests something or speculates it's like your soul purpose is to prove others wrong.

Mr. Magoo said:
This has nothing to do with Marvel. Especially since they plan on independently producing their own films. Here's what happened: Tom Cruise wanted JJ for MI3. Brad Grey, the suit who's currently in charge of Paramount's movies, doesn't want JJ. But Tom has clout, especially pre-couch jumping, and so the deal goes through. Then the movie and positive advance reviews about how Abrams "re-invigorated" the franchise reach Brad Grey and he realizes, holy ****, this guy is my bread and butter. So he persuades him to re-invigorate another Paramount franchise because he's incapable of discerning good concepts or talent for himself and is a slave to business trends, and then he signs Abrams to work his magic sometime in the future just in case he still can't find a new franchise because he's just that creatively bankrupt. It's not because Paramount has their eye on a Marvel movie for Abrams; if those movies were really a priority for them, then their first Marvel movie would've been made already. To them, those are risky properties. Plus, Marvel is producing those independtly of Paramount. To assume that Abrams is gearing up to make a Marvel movie when we've heard nothing about Marvel in this business deal is to assume an awful lot.

I never suggested this move by JJ was so he could work with Marvel. I'm suggesting this increases the odds that he may do a Marvel project down the road. With Marvel looking to secure strong talent for their own slate...they'll surely go after him for something. Might happen in 2009, 2010, 2011, or never...but it's just one of the pieces to a puzzle that has to fall in place in order for it to be possible. That's all. Also those movies are a priority but they're not going to cannibilze themselves and releaes more than 2 a year. They already stated in the financing agreement only 2 films per year from their internal slate. Some are ready sooner than others. I also never said Abrams is gearing up to do a Marvel movie. Did I? You're putting words in my mouth to prove a point. LOL

Advanced Dark said:
Favreau got his job on Iron Man via Paramount even though Paramount is only distributing it. Paramount is also cutting back on the # of franchises it's developing to go after more high profile event films in producing & distribution. Fewer projects but with alot of punch. I also "Obnoxious One" put a ??? after the title of my thread. Still it's a likely scenerio.

Paramount's not producing the Marvel properties. They are only distributors. That mandate is Paramount's mandate, not Marvel's.

Abrams deal is with Paramount, not with Marvel.

Just like I said Favreau would direct Iron Man and you denied it for weeks.

No I didn't.

Am I going to have to set you straight on Saturday?

Come get a slice.

And yeah Tony Jaa would be fun to watch as Shang Chi IMO. No wonder you worship Harry Knowes so much....you act just like him. You have this holier than though attitude whenever someone suggests something or speculates it's like your soul purpose is to prove others wrong.

Says the person who actively campaigned against AICN and Harry Knowles acting like a person with a sick obsession and whenever he wrote something it's like your soul purpose to prove him wrong and discredit him.

I don't worship Harry Knowles at all. I simply don't have this sick and twisted attraction to him that you do. Because I didn't make posts 24/7 and posting pictures of him, doesn't mean I worship him.

TheVileOne said:

...Wait, forgive my ignorence, but Abrams is doing Star Trek?

Just wait until you see Affleck as Spock.

TheVileOne said:
How about none of the above?

Yep, I totally agree. There's no way in hell that Abrams is going to shoot a Marvel movie.

Advanced Dark said:
I never suggested this move by JJ was so he could work with Marvel. I'm suggesting this increases the odds that he may do a Marvel project down the road. With Marvel looking to secure strong talent for their own slate...they'll surely go after him for something. Might happen in 2009, 2010, 2011, or never...but it's just one of the pieces to a puzzle that has to fall in place in order for it to be possible. That's all. Also those movies are a priority but they're not going to cannibilze themselves and releaes more than 2 a year. They already stated in the financing agreement only 2 films per year from their internal slate. Some are ready sooner than others. I also never said Abrams is gearing up to do a Marvel movie. Did I? You're putting words in my mouth to prove a point. LOL

Working exclusively for Paramount makes it MORE likely that Abrams will do a Marvel movie, but it's still incredibly unlikely. And speaking of putting words in someone's mouth, where did I say that Paramount planned on releasing more than 2 of those things a year?

^ I got the impression when you said if these movies were a priority Marvel would already have them in production. I'll have to re-read your post.

emi said:
Yep, I totally agree. There's no way in hell that Abrams is going to shoot a Marvel movie.

Oh ok. Yeah he's too good for that. Maybe he'll go back to that never ending make up the script as you go story LOST, or perhaps redo another Star Trek film. That franchise peaked with Wrath of Khan.

Advanced Dark said:
Oh ok. Yeah he's too good for that. Maybe he'll go back to that never ending make up the script as you go story LOST, or perhaps redo another Star Trek film. That franchise peaked with Wrath of Khan.

Yeah, you just hit the jackpot, tiger! He's relly too good for wasting his talents with a Marvel movie.

BATFREDDIE said:
For the record, he only directed one episode of lost (the pilot). He hasn't been involved since. And after Star Trek is over, I expect him to do one of those projects. :o

he's executive producer though, TV is different than film in that the EP is the head guy, and the directors pretty much take there large orders from him...like Buffy, Joss Whedon was EP, and it was totally his show...he has approval of all the scripts, usually adds/takes away from them in uncredited rewrites, etc etc.

Wow i don't see why everyones hating on Advanced_Dark for making a cool thread, I see these what if threads all over the pace and this is one of the better ones. I would love to see JJ direct a marvel property, and if it was my choice I'd have him do Captain America, he'd do Cap justice and make it badass.

^ Thanks Dyanasty. It's just some people have their heads too far up there (expletive delted) to actually read what my post said. LOL

For the last time, I know what you said. You always accuse people of "putting words in your mouth," but then when you do the same and someone calls you on it, you go "oh, hmm, I thought that's what you meant." (This applies to everyone who you said has their head up their butt). Just because I said that it's unlikely JJ Abrams will ever direct a Marvel film doesn't mean I think that YOU think it's likely that he would. People can make tangential observations, can't they? Or do we all have to say "yeah, in the odd chance that JJ did end up making a Marvel film, that would totally be awesome?" (Although it WOULD totally be awesome...)

And stop with the passive-agressive LOLs at the end of all your posts. I don't want to argue, but really, it's so insulting.

Out of all of those, Cloak and Dagger or Nick Fury would suit him best.

Mr. Magoo said:
For the last time, I know what you said. You always accuse people of "putting words in your mouth," but then when you do the same and someone calls you on it, you go "oh, hmm, I thought that's what you meant." (This applies to everyone who you said has their head up their butt). Just because I said that it's unlikely JJ Abrams will ever direct a Marvel film doesn't mean I think that YOU think it's likely that he would. People can make tangential observations, can't they? Or do we all have to say "yeah, in the odd chance that JJ did end up making a Marvel film, that would totally be awesome?" (Although it WOULD totally be awesome...)

And stop with the passive-agressive LOLs at the end of all your posts. I don't want to argue, but really, it's so insulting.

:up:

Hmm.. Since the next Trek film is his next priority, I doubt any Marvel deal will come yet-- but it could be good.. Maybe if he did Hawkeye..

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"