Last Night In Soho

I dug this movie a lot. Will no doubt be one of my favorite films of the year. I didn't expect the film to lean into horror as much as it did. If you told me that Edgar Wright directed this, I would not believe you. It's truly unlike anything he's ever done, and even more of a departure from his usual directing style than Baby Driver. Pandemic box office aside, I hope this does well and I hope that Wright continues experimenting beyond what we'd expect from his movies, because I had a great time watching this film.

Plus, Anya Taylor-Joy was just a joy to watch.

This movie was fantastic. It did stuff I didn't expect, and it honestly felt super different than anything Wright has done prior. Anya Taylor joy was fantastic as was Thomasin Mackenzie. Definitely one of my favorite movies of the year.

Last edited:
Fantastic flick with equally great performances from Thomasin Mackenzie and Anya Taylor Joy who has never been more captivating IMO and I really liked how Terence Stamp and Matt Smith were utilized in this.

Just on a technical level alone Wright really brought his A game here and I really loved the giallo noir vibes throughout and while I didn't see that third act twist coming I get the feeling some might find it a bit ridiculous.

It's definitely one of my favorite films of the year though.

Anya Taylor joy has cemented herself as a powerhouse in the industry. She's magical to watch, honestly.

In terms of where I rank this among Edgars films, I'm not sure yet, but it may very well become my favorite of his.

I will say, thinking about it and without going into spoilers, I wish this movie had gone just a bit darker and ended two minutes before it actually did. If you've seen it, you probably know what I mean, even though it's a bit morbid.

Just ending with the fire and that cracked portrait.

It's funny. I kept thinking about Drag Me to Hell and how that movie almost has a happy ending, but then in the last few seconds takes this dark twist to show that no, things are not going to end how you'd think. And I wish maybe we'd gotten a bit of that here, but the way the film ends doesn't ruin it for me.

Hindsight 20/20 and all that but IMHO, Edgar Wright was better off not making films for the MCU.

Wright is one of the last competent filmmakers out there doing high quality original material.

Hindsight 20/20 and all that but IMHO, Edgar Wright was better off not making films for the MCU.

Wright is one of the last competent filmmakers out there doing high quality original material.

This is not true at all unless you are talking strictly in the sense of higher profile stuff known to American/English audiences.

But there are a lot of filmmakers globally doing quality original stuff.

This is not true at all unless you are talking strictly in the sense of higher profile stuff known to American/English audiences.

But there are a lot of filmmakers globally doing quality original stuff.

Yes.

Saw this the other night and it’s one of those movies where you don’t realise how good it is until after you’ve seen the ending, which ties everything together.

I did guess who a certain character was before the end but I still liked how it all tied up. And the 2 main girls were great, 7.5/10

Finally got to see this and loved it. Top 5 of the year so far for sure.

I will say, Wright's narrative writing is not the best, and the third act suffers for it. It's not really an issue in his lighter fare, where there's a different set of expectations. But here it definitely stuck out more that the script could have used some help. That aside, it's a technical marvel with incredible performances. And if nothing else, it gave Dame Diana Rigg the chance to go out on top like the absolute icon she is. Rest in Peace.

That was quick. It really did not well in the box office, which is a shame.

That was quick. It really did not well in the box office, which is a shame.
It's so deeply frustrating to watch quality original movies fail at the box office like this. Like, people will complain to no end about about "no originality in Hollywood" but they never show up to support movies like this.

I like indie original films, but I would rather watch them at home. At least with a franchise movie, I know what I’m getting myself into if I watch it in the theater. It’s more of a toss up with the indie movies.

I like indie original films, but I would rather watch them at home. At least with a franchise movie, I know what I’m getting myself into if I watch it in the theater. It’s more of a toss up with the indie movies.
Agreed. A night at the movies isn’t cheap anymore. So for movies that are more dialogue focused, I enjoy it better at home where I can rewind or watch with subtitles. It would have to be a movie like Pulp Fiction to get me to see an independent film at the theater.

I think the last “indie” film I saw in the theaters was Lion.

The Green Knight was an extraordinary view in cinemas. Almost every frame was a work of art and the music was so good. I watched Black Widow too, and it had a streaming vibe all over it, even though it wasn't made for Disney+. There are movies that are really meant for the big screen experience, some even more so than blockbusters with special effects and action. Soho was another example for me.

The Green Knight was an extraordinary view in cinemas. Almost every frame was a work of art and the music was so good. I watched Black Widow too, and it had a streaming vibe all over it, even though it wasn't made for Disney+. There are movies that are really meant for the big screen experience, some even more so than blockbusters with special effects and action. Soho was another example for me.
100% THIS.

There's more to being "made for the big screen" than action and explosions. 'The Green Knight' is a great example. This year I also saw 'Nine Days' in theaters, which was an incredibly immersive experience. Or going back to something like 'Uncut Gems,' it just doesn't work the same without full immersion. And on-topic of 'Soho,' I'm so thankful I was able to see it (definitely not an "indie" film, either) in theaters. Just the sheer scale of the technical marvels Wright pulled off in this was so much better than if I'd seen it at home.

Prices are definitely an issue. If it wasn't for Tuesday movie deals, I'd definitely be seeing a lot less.

It would help if those Tuesday discount prices were on Sundays. I mean people still have to go to work on Tuesdays…

How much is a movie ticket in the US? In my country they cost something close to 8-9 dollars for a regular screening and discount days it's 5-6. Damned pop corn and refreshments take all my money. :argh:

A Dolby AMC ticket costs about $17 for a matinee. Not sure if the Tuesday discount prices apply to Dolby screenings too. A movie ticket for a regular screening costs about $9-10 for a matinee. When I worked at a movie theater during high school, a matinee ticket used to cost $5. Those were the times!

How much is a movie ticket in the US? In my country they cost something close to 8-9 dollars for a regular screening and discount days it's 5-6. Damned pop corn and refreshments take all my money. :argh:
$17 for a ticket in Brooklyn NY. That’s just for 1 person

100% THIS.

There's more to being "made for the big screen" than action and explosions. 'The Green Knight' is a great example. This year I also saw 'Nine Days' in theaters, which was an incredibly immersive experience. Or going back to something like 'Uncut Gems,' it just doesn't work the same without full immersion. And on-topic of 'Soho,' I'm so thankful I was able to see it (definitely not an "indie" film, either) in theaters. Just the sheer scale of the technical marvels Wright pulled off in this was so much better than if I'd seen it at home.

Prices are definitely an issue. If it wasn't for Tuesday movie deals, I'd definitely be seeing a lot less.
Fair point. I also saw Uncut Gems in the theater and when you have to give your undivided attention, it definitely sucks you in more.

Jealous.

It definitely depends on location though. Back in college, the local AMC never got above $10. But here living in Indy now, average primetime tickets come out to around $14, with discount Tuesdays ranging from $5 at AMC as a Stubs member to $9, just depending on the quality of theater.

Depends on the region and theater.

My AMC is $11 for a standard auditorium + $3 for Dolby Cinema +$3 for 3D.

Marquee is a bit cheaper.

A 2 screen theater near me is cheaper than both of those, but it has a flat seating arrangement and tall seats so any short people and kids struggle there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"