Last Night In Soho

Saw this earlier. Really good. I enjoyed the plot and thought both young leads were fantastic. Edgar Wright doesn't miss.

Wright's kinetic style is a great fit for a thriller, first teased all the way back in Spaced when Simon Pegg played too much Resident Evil ha. Nice to see it. Not surprised it didn't do well, but it still sucks.

I thought this was a fun little thriller with a very interesting premise. I enjoyed the way the movie leaned into the surreal and didn't explain everything. The visual flair is still there but it definitely feels more restrained and mature. I'd have to say that for me, I still prefer Baby Driver, but this is definitely another nice addition to Wright's impressive filmography.

Saw this tonight. I liked it quite a bit. Wright's direction was great per usual, and was visually stunning. The two female leads were amazing. The plot kind of lost me towards the end, but overall it was a very engaging little thriller. Towards the bottom of Wright's filmography, but that's splitting hairs at this point.

Is this horror like a slasher or closer to a slow burn mystery like Gone Girl with body hopping?

Last edited:
Is this horror like a slasher or closer to a slow burn mystery like Gone Girl with body hopping?

I call it maybe spiritual horror. The film makes you think it's one thing and then you realise at the end it's actually another. A little bit Sixth Sense I suppose.

A better comparison would be to Repulsion or The Tenant. So I guess more slow burn but the ending, to me, never reaches the heights of something like Hereditary or The Witch.

Okay, finally saw this on the big screen. I loved it. Edgar Wright putting some of his talent into some amazing visual work to go along with his amazing sound editing. I really hope Wright does more movies like this, as I would love to see him do more movies with a bit of a horror bent. I understand why Anya Taylor-Joy is getting the bulk of the praise, but I absolutely adored Thomasin McKenzie in this. Such a wonderful performance.

Right now, probably my 3rd favorite of his movies.

Just came back from seeing this at the theater, since it looked like today was its last day for most theaters in my area. Solid 8/10 for me, almost 9/10 even.

Lest that give the wrong impression though, I flippin' LOVED this movie. While it was on my radar before, I almost didn't see it at the theater until I watched Chris Stuckmann's review the other day (where he encouraged folks to make the trip). This was exactly the kind of movie I love to watch - full of originality, and it was so many different things at the same time (that is to say, a very cool mix of multiple genres), with very strong acting performances, and very solid directing. It caught me hook line and sinker and I loved nearly every second of it.

There are few words I can think of to succinctly describe this movie, but one of them would certainly be "haunting" in more ways than one. In a very huge way it had the effect of casting a spell on you as a viewer and I loved that about it. I also loved how nebulous it was at first about certain plot elements and slowly unraveled them.

Easily one of my favorites this year so far. I agree with the above post and would like to see Edgar Wright do a straight-up horror movie. Also agree about both of the leading actresses, Anya Taylor-Joy was good but Thomasin McKenzie was the standout to me too. Her character reminded me a lot of Emma Stone's from Cruella as well, in several ways.

Btw I had no idea Terence Stamp was still alive. He deserves a role in a modern CBM (either DC or Marvel) before he passes IMO.

I call it maybe spiritual horror. The film makes you think it's one thing and then you realise at the end it's actually another. A little bit Sixth Sense I suppose.

A better comparison would be to Repulsion or The Tenant. So I guess more slow burn but the ending, to me, never reaches the heights of something like Hereditary or The Witch.

Thanks. That gives me a clearer idea of what to expect. I'll rent it this weekend.

It's probably best going into this movie without knowing anything about it. I really liked it. I already thought it was a shame I saw a short commercial on tv unfortunately... spoiling there would be
a murder. Without knowing that bit of information, you could've thought this would be a fun romantic time travel movie

Don't read that spoiler if you haven't watched the movie. Just enjoy the ride.

Saw this movie last night. It was pretty good but I didn’t love it. To be honest I’m kind of baffled why Ana Taylor Joy is getting all of the spotlight. Thomasin McKenzie was the true MVP of the movie. This was her movie IMO.

Mostly because ATJ is the big name, really. Most of the attention will be on her. Which is a pity, because as I said, I adored Thomasin McKenzie in this.

I just watched this. Not my favorite Edgar Wright film but it worked for what it was, a great homage to British suspense/horror films from the '60s-'70s with a groovy soundtrack to boot. I also have to echo what was said in this thread earlier. Anya Taylor-Joy was good but Thomasin McKenzie was the standout here.

Got the blu-ray arriving this week, didn't see it at the cinema, so looking forward to watching it, definitely a highlight for me. An Edgar Wright horror film. Can't wait, been on my radar for a while.

Really liked it. Very Repulsion feel to it. Great performances all round, very good atmosphere created by the direction and use of sound & editing.

I'm usually awful at guessing twists but got this one pretty early on, or at least, worked out which way the story was heading.

I think making it an 18, probably didn't help it's box-office and looking at the budget, can't see where 'all the money' went, appreciate there was a fair bit of CGI needed in places.

Would say an 8/10 for me.

Of all the movies I saw last year this is up there with Dune as one I want to watch again the most.

More Supernatural Thriller like Sam Raimi's 2000 film The Gift except set London rather than Georgia

Bumping this thread just to say I just finished watching this and thought it was fantastic. Wright's direction, the McKenzie and ATJ's performances, the production design, costuming and cinematography all just perfect.

I did call the twist, just as a possibility, about halfway through, but the reveal was still got me good.

Hope this is one of those ones that gets more love as time passes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"