• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Lessons Learned with TASM2

grieven

The Amazing Side-Kick
Reaction score
Personally I hope Sony makes TASM3 with Marc Webb and Andrew Garfield, as they have planned. However, it's looking pretty clear that mistakes have been made with TASM2, which I hope they correct.

What do you think are lessons they hopefully use to make future Spidey films better?

Here are some key ones from me:

1. Promote the movie to drum up excitement, but not to the point of audience fatigue, and please don't give away too many key shots or the end shot of the film!

2. Have the screenwriters and filmmakers have a cohesive, compelling story to tell, and focus on making that as good a story and film as possible, maintaining a proper consistency of tone and balance of pathos and humor throughout.

3. Place a good mid- or after- credits scene that tantalizes audiences for future films. Even if they had to cram in the completely irrelevent X-Men tease, it could have come at the end and we still could have got a good Spidey scene with the credits.

In my opinion, the talent level on the TASM team (Webb directing, Garfield as Spidey, Zimmer on score, Mindel as cinematographer, etc). They need to get the script supervision and editing up to par, and focus on not too many cooks in the kitchen muddling up the vision and story.

Personally I hope Sony makes TASM3 with Marc Webb and Andrew Garfield, as they have planned. However, it's looking pretty clear that mistakes have been made with TASM2, which I hope they correct.

What do you think are lessons they hopefully use to make future Spidey films better?

Here are some key ones from me:

1. Promote the movie to drum up excitement, but not to the point of audience fatigue, and please don't give away too many key shots or the end shot of the film!

2. Have the screenwriters and filmmakers have a cohesive, compelling story to tell, and focus on making that as good a story and film as possible, maintaining a proper consistency of tone and balance of pathos and humor throughout.

3. Place a good mid- or after- credits scene that tantalizes audiences for future films. Even if they had to cram in the completely irrelevent X-Men tease, it could have come at the end and we still could have got a good Spidey scene with the credits.

In my opinion, the talent level on the TASM team (Webb directing, Garfield as Spidey, Zimmer on score, Mindel as cinematographer, etc). They need to get the script supervision and editing up to par, and focus on not too many cooks in the kitchen muddling up the vision and story.

main lesson learned:
NEVER hire Kurtzman and/or Orci EVER again!

They didn't learn their lessons from ASM1 let alone SM3. What makes any of you think 4th time's the charm?

Sony, Arad, and Webb get no more chances from me.

because it absolutely has to be on every single level for spiderman to survive, and Sony don't want their once golden goose dead.

The next film simply must be amazing, they cannot afford it not to be. Surely a company as huge as sony can pull off something special, even if the budget blows out to something ridiculous, running the next film at a loss will better the franchise for the future

the main complaint with these movies seems to be that Sony is to blame for all the lame things in these movies, but it's Webb who signed on cartoony Max Dillon, which is super strange concidering he made such a big statement about what nerds are today in modern society and how super cool Peter Parker is justified

Peter should be dorkier imo, and it's not that Andrew doesn't have the dorky qualities in him, but they just have to be emphasized
something like this would've worked much better
andrew-garfield-3.jpg

flat composed hair, subtle but does the trick. it even kinda brings a more kiddish side out of him which helps to keep the illusion that he's in high school.

Max Dillon also, if they had to make him a dweeb that's unnoticed by others => Jamie Foxx with a comb-over. that's it

I loved TASM2 but the little things matter too, sometimes they can completely break the illusion

Last edited:
They didn't learn their lessons from ASM1.

Yes they did.

They listened about the costume and changed it, they listened about the promise and fixed that, listened about the Hispter Peter and changed him to be more cheerful and listened about the tone being too dark and lightened it up.

Last edited:
They didn't learn their lessons from ASM1 let alone SM3. What makes any of you think 4th time's the charm?

Sony, Arad, and Webb get no more chances from me.

This 100%!

Yes they did.

They listened about the costume and changed it, they listened about the promise and fixed that, listened about the Hispter Peter and changed him to be more cheerful and listened about the tone being too dark and lightened it up.

YEP! And I'm glad they did :D
Apart from the cheesy/goofy/awkward moments in the film, TASM2 was great.

Towards the end of the film, Electro had a lot of potential to be a very badass villain but it looks like he won't be coming back. A very compelling and very evil villain seems like the best way to go in TASM3.

Focus on one villain, while developing others for future movies.

Amazing Spidey 2 has Avi Arad's fingerprints all over it.

He looked at the box office for The Amazing Spider-Man, saw that it wasn't as popular as the Raimi movies, and told Marc Webb to make Amazing 2 more like the Raimi movies.

I will absolutely bet that is what happened.

Last edited:
That's funny, sad, and pathetic. Avi is worse than Donner over with the X-Men.

Keep the tone. Not every superhero film has to be a blasted grimdark Batman film.

Find someone as talented and interesting as Gwen/Stone. TASM2 raised the bar, as Stone/Garfield carried the film. Find someone who can act and has chemistry for Garfield...don't do the Dunst mistake, and cast someone who has no chemistry with the lead and is bored with the film.

Amazing Spidey 2 has Avi Arad's fingerprints all over it.

He looked at the box office for The Amazing Spider-Man, saw that it wasn't as popular as the Raimi movies, and told Marc Webb to make Amazing 2 more like the Raimi movies.

I will absolutely bet that is what happened.

If that's true he really doesn't know what he is doing

Yes they did.

Fixing a costume doesn't make the movie not suck. Webb is a weak director, Sony and Arad interfere and push agendas on the creative talent, and their scripts are dog doo.

They have learned nothing and I won't see another Spidey movie in theaters unless I get in free or pay to see a different movie and sneak in. Sony doesn't get a cent from me anymore. Three wretched movies in a row and somehow people think a 4th shot will do the trick. Nope. Spider-Man is done until he goes back to Marvel.

Cool,then i won't see your whining for a very very long time.

Fixing a costume doesn't make the movie not suck. Webb is a weak director, Sony and Arad interfere and push agendas on the creative talent, and their scripts are dog doo.

They have learned nothing and I won't see another Spidey movie in theaters unless I get in free or pay to see a different movie and sneak in. Sony doesn't get a cent from me anymore. Three wretched movies in a row and somehow people think a 4th shot will do the trick. Nope. Spider-Man is done until he goes back to Marvel.

but what would Marvel even do with Spider-man if they got him back right after this franchise? they can't just do another reboot, that would make people just angrier, and it's not like they'd be in a hurry to do another flick like Sony was after SM3

It's too late for the lesson but don't try to copy the cheese of the Raimi movies with the hopes of winning back his audience.

If you start with a darker and grounded series, stick to your guns and take it all the way.

Amazing 3 is going to have to be a dark movie through out though... Especially if it's dealing with Pete's recovery.

The grim/dark "grounded" approach doesn't work with Spidey.If it had been this resounding success that people think it was,it would've made a heck of a lot more than it did and Sony wouldn't have been altering the tone (for the better) for this movie.

I guess if Sony learned anything,it's you can't have even a moment of weakness in these films,otherwise it negates all the positives you've done.

Last edited:
I have an idea of a lesson.

Never go to a movie where a character has a comb over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"