Man From U.N.C.L.E movie - Part 1

Has anyone heard any news on this project? Last I heard Guy Ritchie was attached. If they decide to make it, please no comedy or spoof. It needs to be action, with some humor,

My cast:
Michael Fassbender - Napoleon Solo
Ben Foster - Illya Kuryakin
Ian McKellan - Alexander Waverly

the only small thing that takes me out of this movie which is set in what 1962 is those modern looking off road vehicles kinda like the ones they used in Star Trek: Nemesis.

Looks like WB is starting to give a decent push behind this movie now with TV ads in the U.S. Seems like people who saw it early are pretty positive. Both Cavill and Hammer could certainly do with something well received even if it isn't a smash, both should get better opportunities out the other side. Vikander already seems like an "it" girl with no help needed :yay:

I've seen nearly as many adds for MFU as I've seen for Fantastic Four. I hope it does okay but I ain't counting on it. Who knows though San Andreas did better than people thought it would maybe WB can work some magic with this film as well.

Its been nearly a year since I saw this but I remember liking it. Just depends on how much you like Cavill and Hammer, seeing them play off each other.

I'm watching this for one reason...Alicia Vikander. I've developed a pathetic hardcore crush on her, and Ex Machina really didn't help. Her wearing 60s attire in this film isn't helping either.:hmr:.

Last edited:
She's apparently going to be in Bourne 5 as well. Maybe she has a thing for spy films.

From the trailers I quite liked it although I have no idea if it will do very well, I don't think the tracking on it is great although they might be able to raise awareness over the next couple of weeks.

If it does as well as Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes film, then I think that everyone will be quite happy. As an aside, Ritchie seems to on a "pseudo/stylized-historical period piece) kick recently. First he tackled the Victorian Era (the SH films), then he did the Cold War 1960's (with this), and now he's working on the Dark Ages (with his King Arthur film).

Well that's the thing that makes this interesting in terms of expectations - most of Ritchie's films have been pretty small, niche kinds of movies (Lock Stock, RocknRolla, Snatch), but then the Sherlock films were hits. Of course he hasn't put out anything at all since the last Sherlock film in 2011, so who knows whether those movies were an anomaly, or the start of a new trend in Ritchie's career.

It kinda sucks that it seems like this wont do that well. I blame it on the bad marketing .

Ive seen over 10 movies this summer and I would say 70%-80% had the UNCLE trailer attatched. Except it has been the same one over and over.
In addition to that the trailer I don't think highlights anything special. I do like that moment in the trailer near the end with all the quick cuts and explosions.

But the humor doesn't seem to hit and I don't think any of the stars are big enough to be advertising it the way they are.
Also I just think the title doesn't help, not that they should've changed it but they should've at least lampshaded how silly it sounds or something.

I still think this will be good though.

Yeah, unfortunately, the UNCLE isn't like James Bond or Mission Impossible in that it's kept going over the years (M:I, for example, had a new TV series in between the old one and the Tom Cruise films, and Bond has never stopped cranking out sequels). And unfortunately, none of the stars are huge names yet. But who knows? They seem to be advertising it a lot and we know there are at least a few ladies out there who adore Cavill (and probably plenty who like Hammer too). Not sure if they'll all run out and see it, but anything's possible.

A new influx of Twitter reviews from people who have just seen UNCLE have come in, all very positive:

The Mr Pink ‏@themrpink 3h3 hours ago
#ManFromUNCLE was surprisingly good. It's chock full of Cracker Jack wit and sly charm. Chemistry amongst leads is great.

Michael Thomas ‏@MTjr_15 4h4 hours ago
#ManFromUNCLE was pretty good. Review should be up on @NotYetRatedSite within the next few days.

Joseph Hammerschmidt ‏@JoetheHammer 6h6 hours ago
#ManFromUNCLE sets a new standard for what spy movies can and will be in the future; Ritchie proves he still has the golden touch. #mustsee

Cory Smith ‏@cjsmith612 7h7 hours ago
just came back from mpls preview #ManFromUNCLE very good film a must see thank you #lagoon

PaulsTripToTheMovies ‏@PaulsMovieTrip 7h7 hours ago
In case you're curious, #ManFromUNCLE is the best spy movie of the year. Slick, stylish, and good old fashioned fun. @ManFromUNCLE

Sarah Mann ‏@twilightreader3 7h7 hours ago
#ManFromUNCLE is awesome! ��������#GuyRitchie #HenryCavill #ArmieHammer #hughgrant #AliciaVikander #elizabethdebicki #funny one liners #action

The Mike ‏@TheMike816 8h8 hours ago
Went to see the screening for #ManFromUNCLE it was actually a good movie way better than I thought it'll be

Delane Cleveland ‏@DelaneCleveland 8h8 hours ago
Just watched #ManFromUNCLE. It was good. The plot kept me interested and I liked the characters. Overall, I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars

Ena ‏@enazhu 8h8 hours ago
Love love LOVE #ManFromUNCLE! A+ on the casting and music selection. @ManFromUNCLE

Michael Lee ‏@michaellorg 8h8 hours ago
Just got out of a sneak preview of #ManFromUNCLE. I see it fitting as a double feature with The Kingsman in a lot of ways.

Legend of Tomorrow ‏@MovieGuyFeed 9h9 hours ago
#ManFromUNCLE was a really good movie. The Cavill and Hammer scenes were the best.

Marcus Freeman ‏@Archymedius 9h9 hours ago
#ManFromUNCLE hits all the points. Great directing. Great cast. Great fun. Great-point-oh out of 10.

Well, I know you should never put too much stock in early screening Twitter reactions, but it's good that they're positive. It sounds like a lot of people were skeptical going into it and were pleasantly surprised. The film certainly looks like the most stylish spy film of the year.

It looks like it's slightly tongue in cheek also, as you can't really do these adaptations completely straight anymore.

A new influx of Twitter reviews from people who have just seen UNCLE have come in, all very positive:

#ManFromUNCLE was surprisingly good. It's chock full of Cracker Jack wit and sly charm. Chemistry amongst leads is great.

#ManFromUNCLE was pretty good. Review should be up on @NotYetRatedSite within the next few days.

#ManFromUNCLE sets a new standard for what spy movies can and will be in the future; Ritchie proves he still has the golden touch. #mustsee

just came back from mpls preview #ManFromUNCLE very good film a must see thank you #lagoon

In case you're curious, #ManFromUNCLE is the best spy movie of the year. Slick, stylish, and good old fashioned fun. @ManFromUNCLE

#ManFromUNCLE is awesome! ��������#GuyRitchie #HenryCavill #ArmieHammer #hughgrant #AliciaVikander #elizabethdebicki #funny one liners #action

Went to see the screening for #ManFromUNCLE it was actually a good movie way better than I thought it'll be

Just watched #ManFromUNCLE. It was good. The plot kept me interested and I liked the characters. Overall, I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars

Love love LOVE #ManFromUNCLE! A+ on the casting and music selection. @ManFromUNCLE

Just got out of a sneak preview of #ManFromUNCLE. I see it fitting as a double feature with The Kingsman in a lot of ways.

#ManFromUNCLE was a really good movie. The Cavill and Hammer scenes were the best.

#ManFromUNCLE hits all the points. Great directing. Great cast. Great fun. Great-point-oh out of 10.

Awesome!

Surprise Hit?

No reviews yet... is this thing under embargo? After the F4 debacle, I'm a little worried.

No reviews yet... is this thing under embargo? After the F4 debacle, I'm a little worried.
I would assume it has a typical, week of release embargo. So not time to worry yet.

The only weak part could be script, at least that's the impression I got from the portfolio of the writers, which is bad of course... but who knows...

On the other hand, Guy Ritchie is just a perfect director for this kind of movie and the cast is fantastic, so, my hopes are high.

They've definitely screened it for critics at least. We held a press screening at our theater two weeks ago. One of the critics I'm acquainted with who regularly attends these screenings at our place said he thought it was surprisingly good. Gets a bit messy in the 3rd act but is still highly entertaining. This guy's generally a total film snob too, so I was surprised he enjoyed it at all, tbh. I have a feeling we won't be waiting too long for that embargo to lift.

I hope this gets better reviews than FFINO and does better at the box office. I want this to turn out to be a good film and not to end up like the Avengers (1998).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"