Baywatch: The movie! - Part 1

Yeah but no one wanted a 21 Jump Street movie

But yeah at least then they made a good movie

21 Jump Street wasn't merely good imo. Those two movies are great comedies imo. If they made a Baywatch that good, it probably would have found an audience.

Last edited:
Sure. They are "comedy classics"

However I do subscribe to the idea that "non one was aking for______" and that's why it failed.

Bit of a shame about this. Good cast. Could've made for a funny concept.

Ah well

Nobody asked for 21 Jump Street and before it came out thought it was gonna be a trainwreck, especially considering the two leads. But it became a literal cult classic.

No one asks for a lot of movies that come out, we dont know we needed them till we got em.

I'm not a big fan of the Jump Street movies either, but people seem to enjoy them and find them funny. They enjoy the chemistry between Hill and Tatum.

I think The Rock with his character wasn't playing very much humor. Most of his material was played fairly straight. He wasn't the butt of very many jokes either. Most of that went on with Efron's character.

I think there was some obvious jokes and parody they could've gone with how Rock as Mitch takes his job way too seriously, and it's almost like he's over-compensating or he's a bit of a control freak. Like he has an over-inflated sense of self and ego with his job and role.

I'm not saying we don't need life guards or they don't save lives. But they aren't CIA agents either. There could've been more comedy to come out of that. They aren't the Coast Guard either.

Brody, the cop, and the chief can only point that out so many times, grinding the logic to a halt, before we just accept it and move on.

Brody, the cop, and the chief can only point that out so many times, grinding the logic to a halt, before we just accept it and move on.

I mean...obviously not because look at the movie's results.

They didn't have to take it in that direction.

I'm just saying. To me a more obvious route for the comedy is that The Rock's character is this ego, mega macho control freak who takes his job way too seriously and has an inflated sense of self-worth over being a lieutenant lifeguard.

Nobody asked for 21 Jump Street and before it came out thought it was gonna be a trainwreck, especially considering the two leads. But it became a literal cult classic.

Jump street was after moneyball. Idk why Jonah hill being the lead was a bad thing.

Some trivia:

Baywatch the original series was cancelled after one season. It wasn't until after it went into syndication at an international level that it found an audience.

From the reviews it sounds like this doesn't know whether it wants to be a serious reboot, a parody, or just a comedy with a slight homage to the original. They would've had a tough time on the story for this anyway. It doesn't lend itself to a 90 minutes single big story, especially with all the setup.

Jump street was after moneyball. Idk why Jonah hill being the lead was a bad thing.

Fanboys still view him as the fat goofball from the Apatow/Rogen crew no matter how many dramatic roles he takes.

Another thing I loved was Rocks various nicknames for Zac "one direction, bieber, n'sync" etc :hehe:

Remember how everyone in this thread wanted Hayley Atwell in on this? :p Ah those days.

And yeah the nicknames were funny. My theatre laughed when The Rock called him "High School Musical"

This would've been better if it was a movie about Efron being trained as a lifeguard(Keep the whole disgraced Olympian thing) by The Rock, and Ronnie having more or less the same arc and best friend to Efron and have Alexandra Daddario and Kelly Rorbach as established lifeguards (and friends who experiment occasionally and the movie hinting so in an R-Rated way :p ;)) and function as love interests to the two guys. The whole movie would payoff in a big tidal wave natural disaster action set piece where everybody saves people at the beach and arcs pay off.

That's my R-Rated Baywatch movie reboot pitch. :)

I would have seen it with Hayley Atwell in it, no matter how bad it was.

Forgot to post here, went to see Baywatch on Monday when it released, I really don't understand all the fuss is about. Wasn't as bad as the critics/reviews I'd heard about make it out to be.

Was it stupid? Yeah, but so was the TV show, I knew exactly what sort of stupid I was going to get before paying my money.

Was it funny? Yeah bits of it were funny & got some laughs, there were also bits that didn't get laughs, but that's like any comedy.

I get why the movie might not be doing so hot at the BO with the likes of GotG2, Alien, PotC & now WW all going to be in cinemas at the same time, in addition the negative reviews I'm sure have turned some people off seeing it as well, especially those that actually care what critics say.

I thought it was alright anyway, I see people mentioning 21 Jump Street, if you liked that then you'll probably like Baywatch because they are of very similar levels of stupid with similar amounts of laughs.

I have only the trailer and what I've heard from other people, but I gotta call bull on Baywatch having "very similar stupidity"

Just looking at the trailers (unless Baywatch is radically different from the trailers) is not the same type of humor other than them being R rated

And the whole "_____ was stupid so I knew the movie would be too" excuse is tired. If you cant elevate a TV show idea from it's roots don't make it at all.

But as I said I havent seen this

Last edited:
I have only the trailer and what I've heard from other people, but I gotta call bull on Baywatch having "very similar stupidity"

Just looking at the trailers (unless Baywatch is radically different from the trailers) is not the same type of humor other than them being R rated

To what, 21 Jump street? They are equally as stupid if that's what you're talking about.

And the whole "_____ was stupid so I knew the movie would be too" excuse is tired. If you cant elevate a TV show idea from it's roots don't make it at all.

But as I said I havent seen this

I don't get this, what do you mean 'excuse'? What am I making excuses for?

To what, 21 Jump street? They are equally as stupid if that's what you're talking about.

I don't get this, what do you mean 'excuse'? What am I making excuses for?

Well I cant comment on that just everything I've heard about this movie (and no not just from critics) 21 Jump Street is not as stupid as this movie. I will have to see for myself. All I can say is 21 Jump Street doesn't have a scene of someone getting their d*** caught in a beach chair or examining a guys t***t (do I have to bleep that?)

And it's an excuse for when a shotty product comes out. You can take something that was stupid and make it funny or good.

Last edited:
Well I cant comment on that just everything I've heard about this movie (and no not just from critics) 21 Jump Street is not as stupid as this movie. I will have to see for myself. All I can say is 21 Jump Street doesn't have a scene of someone getting their d*** caught in a beach chair or examining a guys t***t (do I have to bleep that?)

I see what you mean, because 21 Jump Street didn't have d**k humour it has the moral high ground & isn't as silly or stupid.. :funny:

And it's an excuse for when a shotty product comes out. You can take something that was stupid and make it funny or good.

Whether it's a shotty product, funny or good is down to your own personal preference & judgement as it always is, but the fact I knew the movie was going to be as stupid & silly as the TV show was at it's core isn't an excuse for anything. I'm not defending the movie or trying to convince you it's good or bad, I'm just giving you an opinion. Nothing more & nothing less.

21 Jump Street had Rob Riggle getting his **** shot off in the movie. Also Johnny Depp saying he got tattoos on his genitalia.

I saw this tonight and thought it was really funny! Everything with the rock is great and I loved seeing Pamela again. It's a fun movie to watch when there's nothing else on the telly.

I want them to do the episode where they have to fight an octopus for the sequel though

God this movie was so moronic for wasting Alexandra Daddario.

How did they waste her?

I'm genuinely curious as imo, I don't think there's a hell of a lot you can do with her. She's not exactly a strong/high-caliber actress and her delivery/performances do leave a lot to be desired most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"