Ms. Marvel Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel General Discussion Thread

Practically every household in America is about to get Disney+.

Pro tip, just wait until they announce actual details about the project and then you can find more substantial things to complain about.
Cool, I'm not american. Games of Thrones didn't even air on Netflix here. Also,
I'd rather read pissing and moaning about movies than pissing and moaning about other posters
Why are you derailing the thread to piss and moan about me? Why can't you just let me disagree with a Marvel decision without trying to pick an argument? It is possible, I promise.

Having to watch 22 films in order to understand a movie isn't normal. None of this is normal.
Harry Potter wasn't normal? Now granted, that was just 8 movies (10 if you count the Fantastic Beasts movies), but still.

Movie series are not a new thing. Movies series that force you to subscribe to a streaming service and watch hours of shows to fully understand what is going on? That's unprecedented.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Ms. Marvel is being positioned as the next Spidey. But getting a new and relatively obscure character to that point is going to require a slow rollout and some patience.
And as much exposure as possible. Which is why this should've been a movie. Sorry, you can't convince me that a show is the same thing as a tentpole movie. Kamala could've been a movie star, but Marvel deprived her of the chance to become one.

And for that, they are now my sworn enemy. :ndd:

Who should they cast as Kamala Khan? And how young or old should they go? Also, does she have to be Pakistani?
It should be someone as young as reasonably possible, otherwise she'll age out of the role quickly.

Last edited:
Why are you derailing the thread to piss and moan about me? Why can't you just let me disagree with a Marvel decision without trying to pick an argument? It is possible, I promise.

Pointing out why I think your complaints hold no water isn’t derailing the thread.

Last edited:
Hmm, could she be the first mutant in the MCU? Since Inhumans aren't a thing in the MCU and mutants will be in the near future, it might make sense to swap the Terrigen mist accident for an X-Gene activation instead. Something to think about
I've given this a lot of thought. I hope she isn't a mutant. Much talk has been made about the similarities between Nuhumans and mutants but, aside from the hidden genetic potential aspect, Nuhumans really are similar to a traditional Marvel superhero origin - just slightly more shared. Instead of gamma bombs or radioactive spiders, it's an alien gas that causes it.

To me, that's the simplest explanation. I'd love it if they say she's an Inhuman and bring in the Inhumans because there are immigration allegories with Kamala being an Inhuman that parallel her Pakistani heritage. But I don't expect that because there's so much baggage there. However, they could still easily make it a Kree Terrigen weapon that transforms her and leave it at that. Given that the star of Hala is in her logo, it looks like they haven't abandoned the Kree connection entirely (although it could just be a Captain Marvel connection).

I agree with mostly keeping her origin. Instead of being the result of a massive bomb, or tainted fish oil pills, the terrigen can be spread via a cloud resulting from an explosion of a localized experiment with Kree artifacts. Have it impact her and maybe a couple of others and put the Inhuman stuff on the (way) back burner.

I wonder if maybe they’ll just slightly alter captain marvel’s origin for her?

I wonder who they cast as Kamala

I wonder if maybe they’ll just slightly alter captain marvel’s origin for her?

I don't follow? Why would Carol's origin in the MCU have to be changed to accommodate the inclusion of Kamala?

Sorry should have written that clearer.

As in, I wonder if they’ll mimic or mirror captain marvel’s origin a bit for kamala? As in, an alien space ship blows up etc etc

As in, I wonder if they’ll mimic or mirror captain marvel’s origin a bit for kamala? As in, an alien space ship blows up etc etc
Ah... Sorry, got confused.

The Terrigen thing might be off the table.

I think there's a high likelihood that Kamala got her powers in that five year gap, and I think having Carol involved might make sense in some capacity.

I think the simplest thing, provided they get Bree Larson or a CGI version of her (although my guess is she'll appear), is for her to blow up a Kree ship in the atmosphere that releases the Terrigen Cloud.

No surprise the usual suspects (I won't name but let's just call them eek + lamers and blechrandom) are targeting this show now. Bisha K Ali's old twitter antics seem to be a huge concern for white people...

Well you don't go deleting over 5000 tweets and then making all your social media account its private if you don't have anything to hide. Some of the tweets she deleted were highly anti-Semitic/Jew, anti-white, and anti-capitalism. After all the stuff they went through with Gunn, Disney probably told her to delete them so another incident didn't happen but it's a little too late because of how they're cached even after deleted.

Well you don't go deleting over 5000 tweets and then making all your social media account its private if you don't have anything to hide. Some of the tweets she deleted were highly anti-Semitic/Jew, anti-white, and anti-capitalism. After all the stuff they went through with Gunn, Disney probably told her to delete them so another incident didn't happen but it's a little too late because of how they're cached even after deleted.

Can you give us an example, word for word of these "Anti-Male/White/Jewish/Capitalism" Tweets?

Have you seen them or is this just how you have heard them characterized as?

Because say, pointing out the rise of fearlessly out White Nationalists isn't necessarily anti-White, criticizing the policies of the government of Israel isn't automatically anti-Semetic and talking about the issues inherent in Capitalism and the problems they might pose in society isn't anti-Capitalist or automatically make one a Stalinist Communist type.

Now... She may well have made such egregiously bad statements as "Kill all the Jews" or "I can't wait for the revolution when we chop of the heads of the CEOs and bankers".

I won't know until I see some proof and yeah, locking her Twitter is gonna arouse suspicion but it can also just be good policy when "outrage" culture online is weaponized so easily... Especially by those that claim to disdain outrage culture but always seem to find as much if not more to piss and moan about than the small slice of the population making their opinions known online do.

Looking around so far, and I repeat... SO FAR, I'm seeing the usual reactionary types intimating at how terribe her opinions are and not being told precisely what she has put out online that's so egregious. And as a Muslim woman from the U.K. it is not surprising she might have strong opinions that don't necessarily line up with Red State America. But again, even if that were the case, they might not still cross some line.

They might, but so far I've seen more of them being characterized in a certain way and the few that I do, such as one talking about the rise of reactionary White Nationalists... I would say that's closer to the truth than would make some feel comfortable and that's where the backlash comes from.

Preach. It is mindboggling to me that a character so relevant is being relegated to the streaming service.

"Muslim girls will finally see themselves represented in a superhero!" Yeah, if their parents subscribe to Disney+, that is. :o

I don't see a Disney+ show as relegation. From the sounds of it these miniseries' are basically going to be 6-8 hour movies which will be fully integrated with the films. I'd expect Captain Marvel to appear in this show and then for Kamala to appear in the next Captain Marvel film as well as future films.

Give it time.

I would say, yes, it absolutely will be popular, but. . . I'm skeptical over whether it will actually exceed Netflix in total subscribership. At least, anytime in the next 5 years or so. Disney is big and powerful, but Netflix has a *long* head start.

Oh well they’re the biggest entertainment company in the world so I reckon they’ll put up a hell of a fight

Disney+ is certainly going to zoom to number 2 in the market, yes. I can't see anyone else contending anytime soon, except Amazon Prime by technicality.

( WB *should* be able to compete, but their business plan vis a vis streaming so far? Strikes me as so incoherent that it'll be years before they can do anything but slow their post-GoT losses. )

I was watching Blockers last night and there was a hilarious young actress called Geraldine Viswanathan on it who might be perfect for Kamala. She can do the humour, the goofiness and the superhero antics

It seems Ms. Marvel presumably is being pushed up as Hawkeye may be in doubt with the most recent reports concerning Jeremy Renner's legal proceedings.

They don't sound good so a delay of that show is unfortunately a strong possibility it seems until things play out.

What happened with Renner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"