Matt Reeves To Direct The Upcoming Batman Solo - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario's podcast was from last week, but he should have a new podcast in the next 12 hours, he said it's not Sup, Reeves nor Reboot in his tweets.

Glad to hear that! This is definitely a great instance to be wrong about something.

Why does everyone keep bringing up Campea? As far as I know he didn't say the news was about Reeves, so...

I think the only reason people made that connection is because he had recently mentioned in one of his videos that he had doubts that this film gets made.

Campea: "I have my doubts that Reeves' Batman film even happens."
*A week or so later*
Campea: "A piece of DC news is going to break that's going to upset people."

It's a leap in logic to be sure. Of course, Campea would save everybody a ton of grief (himself included) if he would simply keep **** like this to himself. "Oh, I only said this as a heads-up to my fans." Spare me. Campea's not an idiot. He's been in the game long enough to know that you don't say something like this and then not expect people to press you for more information. Fans are impatient, anxious, and borderline paranoid when it comes to **** like this, and there was simply no reason for him to say what he said unless he was looking for attention. That's all there is to it. And he has the audacity to accuse TheWrap of clickbait (despite the fact that they never accused him of starting this particular rumor).

I think the only reason people made that connection is because he had recently mentioned in one of his videos that he had doubts that this film gets made.

Campea: "I have my doubts that Reeves' Batman film even happens."
*A week or so later*
Campea: "A piece of DC news is going to break that's going to upset people."

It's a leap in logic to be sure. Of course, Campea would save everybody a ton of grief (himself included) if he would simply keep **** like this to himself. "Oh, I only said this as a heads-up to my fans." Spare me. Campea's not an idiot. He's been in the game long enough to know that you don't say something like this and then not expect people to press you for more information. Fans are impatient, anxious, and borderline paranoid when it comes to **** like this, and there was simply no reason for him to say what he said unless he was looking for attention. That's all there is to it. And he has the audacity to accuse TheWrap of clickbait (despite the fact that they never accused him of starting this particular rumor).

Bingo!

El Fanboy Podcast #51

- Can't find any solid murmurs on what Campea can possibly be referring to, but stumbled upon something else...
- There's starting to be some concern from WB's part, on Reeves taking too long on getting Batman moving along
- No plans to move on with the bat-family movies (Batgirl, Nightwing, etc.) until Batman is in order
- Different from Affleck's situation (where studio didn't give a damn about the script, just wanted to get it moving) but there's some pleading from the higher-ups to expedite the process whilst still giving Reeves full creative control

Still listening in, but that's the gist of it for now.

Because rushing things proved so effective with BvS and JL. The guy is writing the script for ****'s sake. Like he's just going to pull an all-nighter and finish it? Is this college? :funny:

They have three DC movies already set for the next two years, and that's not even including the possibility of SS2 or the Joker solo film squeezing somewhere in there as well. There is absolutely no rush. Let the man work.

Last edited:
Ok, pretty much done with the segment. He's emphasizing WB is not at a point of contention with Reeves. They want to make it work, and they're not backpedaling on the offer of full creative control. It's just a matter of having the work to show for all the time that's being taken. There's no rushing, WB is trying to give gentle nudges to move it along. WW is moving along well, so their next top priority is understandably Batman, as a large part of the DC-universe can thrive off that huge wave of success.

He goes on to say this is part of a larger obstruction WB has to get over, which is the seemingly clash of ideologies in director-driven movies existing within an interconnected universe. No one has cracked the code yet.

MCU has gone for a tv-style showrunner (in Feige) approach with success.

Disney has their showrunner, but their attempts to hand the keys over to directors with unique visions (Edwards, Lord/Miller) has led to last ditch attempts at course corrections.

Fox's X-Men Universe has been the closest to movies reflecting their director's voice, but the troughs and crests have shown difficulty in maintaining identity, continuity, and quality.

This is the ground WB is aiming to break. So they're admirably aiming high still.

Ok, pretty much done with the segment. He's emphasizing WB is not at a point of contention with Reeves. They want to make it work, and they're not backpedaling on the offer of full creative control. It's just a matter of having the work to show for all the time that's being taken. There's no rushing, WB is trying to give gentle nudges to move it along. WW is moving along well, so their next top priority is understandably Batman, as a large part of the DC-universe can thrive off that huge wave of success.

He goes on to say this is part of a larger obstruction WB has to get over, which is the seemingly clash of ideologies in director-driven movies existing within an interconnected universe. No one has cracked the code yet.

MCU has gone for a tv-style showrunner (in Feige) approach with success.

Disney has their showrunner, but their attempts to hand the keys over to directors with unique visions (Edwards, Lord/Miller) has led to last ditch attempts at course corrections.

Fox's X-Men Universe has been the closest to movies reflecting their director's voice, but the troughs and crests have shown difficulty in maintaining identity, continuity, and quality.

This is the ground WB is aiming to break. So they're admirably aiming high still.

Listened to the show as well, he's pretty pissed at Campea for his unprofessional childish activity and causing a huge stir for fans who like these properties, and had to finish the podcast as he started to break down.

I think it's fair enough for WB's new team to ask Reeves what's he been up to, like, is he gonna take 3 years from now? can they start production next year or not, what does he think about Chris McKay and Batgirl etc. I certainly don't want the Affleck situation but I think if you're a director of Batman you need to let the new leaders know when your thing is gonna be ready, like 2 years or 5 etc.

Robles prefers the Marvel model but I'd actually prefer the Fox model, ya you get a few duds but you get DOFP, X2, Logan, Deadpool etc, and I'd prefer them to try to aim high rather than average all the time.

Like you need someone like Johns or ?Hamada to organize movies like LOD, Flashpoint and JL2/3, and I don't see any issues if they set them up with occasional bonus scenes that don't affect the team movies that happens every 4-5 years, and at the meantime hire the likes of Jenkins or Wan, top directors who can work with your franchise while they have near full control, the ones that cannot - give them Elseworld properties.

if they want to avoid bombs, just hire great directors with solid track records, and keep your hands off

I wish I had more faith that their involvement could be a positive thing, but some of the same people are still there who are worse than your average Hype guy at quality control and knowing what their customers want. The best hope is to hire top guys and give them flexibility and see what they come up with. Then renew if they come out with something great like Nolan and Jenkins did.

El Fanboy Podcast #51

- Can't find any solid murmurs on what Campea can possibly be referring to, but stumbled upon something else...
- There's starting to be some concern from WB's part, on Reeves taking too long on getting Batman moving along
- No plans to move on with the bat-family movies (Batgirl, Nightwing, etc.) until Batman is in order
- Different from Affleck's situation (where studio didn't give a damn about the script, just wanted to get it moving) but there's some pleading from the higher-ups to expedite the process whilst still giving Reeves full creative control

Still listening in, but that's the gist of it for now.
I really enjoyed this podcast. Much better than Campea.

I’m ok waiting for however long for the next bat movie. Not a decade obviously, Just get it right.

Haha I just want it to start filming before 2020

I just want a script to be done before 2020 at this point

I’m ok waiting for however long for the next bat movie. Not a decade obviously, Just get it right.

Funnily enough, the people who used to run WB were happy to wait for however long it took Nolan.

That turned out quite well, as I recall.

Funnily enough, the people who used to run WB were happy to wait for however long it took Nolan.

That turned out quite well, as I recall.

Very true. But to be fair, not counting BvS, we haven't had a Batman movie in 6 years. So...I guess they are happy to wait? :shrug:

Very true. But to be fair, not counting BvS, we haven't had a Batman movie in 6 years. So...I guess they are happy to wait? :shrug:

But you can't discount it. Batman now has a taint on him again on the cinema screen, just like after B&R (though not as bad). He needs to go away again for a while, so a new version can come along that makes people forget the mistakes with Batfleck.

But you can't discount it. Batman now has a taint on him again on the cinema screen, just like after B&R (though not as bad). He needs to go away again for a while, so a new version can come along that makes people forget the mistakes with Batfleck.

I was being sarcastic :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"