Michael Bay's '6 Underground'

It's not a good movie that's what's "with" critics. It's not like they ever really liked any of his movies before.

I do think it's fairly enjoyable, but it's not "good" and that backstory stuff was unnecessary. It really didn't bring anything to the film

I guess I'll have to watch this at some point, curious to see how thrashy it is.

I thuoght it was lots of fun.
A mad, "Bad Boys 2"-style, over-the-top Michael Bay action movie. Not as good as his best films, but definitely better than his weakest ones.

I liked it a lot. It was a big, loud, stupid action movie, but better than like the last 10 Fast & Furious movies because at least most of the stunts looked real. Hobbs & Shaw got a much better RT score than this, and it was easily a better movie than that absurd, drawn out, CGI mess. I'm not saying that this is a "good" movie but it's at least a fun one and it doesn't go on for too long. I do agree that the nonlinear storytelling needed some work; it's a little confusing at times as to what is happening when. I also think Adria Arjona was completely wasted; she barely did anything and we didn't even get an origin story for her. But I thought Reynolds, Hardy, Laurent, Garcia-Rulfo and Hawkins were all really good in their roles and I'd love to see this team come back for a sequel. The opening car chase and the magnet sequence are some of the most insane action scenes ever. All the parkour stuff is wild too.

Basically the message of this movie is we just need a team of mercenaries who answer to no one to kill the bad people. I know it’s fiction but it’s a hard pill to swallow.

They could have at least made some of them believable looking in their roles.

I mean... isn't that kind of the message of most superhero movies too? Even if they don't kill the bad guys, it's still a common thread of, "cops/military/etc. can't get the job done, so that's why we need superheroes." I agree, it's a bunch of BS in the real world, but it's not like Bay was going for realism here. Well, I don't think he was. Though I could imagine Bay believing people like this actually exist out there, lol.

Basically the message of this movie is we just need a team of mercenaries who answer to no one to kill the bad people. I know it’s fiction but it’s a hard pill to swallow.
I mean... isn't that kind of the message of most superhero movies too? Even if they don't kill the bad guys, it's still a common thread of, "cops/military/etc. can't get the job done, so that's why we need superheroes." I agree, it's a bunch of BS in the real world, but it's not like Bay was going for realism here. Well, I don't think he was. Though I could imagine Bay believing people like this actually exist out there, lol.
Yeah that's a really weird point to bring up considering how we treat SH movies on here and everywhere. The first Iron Man movie had Tony pulling up to Afghanistan and guns down a bunch of people with imprudence.
Hell, not even SH movies. Most action films (Mission Impossible, James Bond, etc.) are a similar thing. They may answer to someone, but they almost always break rules to get the job done. So I don't know why you would bring it up for this movie/Bay

Last edited:
Yeah that's a really weird point to bring up considering how we treat SH movies on here and everywhere.
Hell, not even SH movies. Most action films (Mission Impossible, James Bond, etc.) are the same thing. So I don't know why you would bring it up for this movie/Bay

Yeah, especially considering that every other James Bond or M:I movie features the hero(es) going rogue because the brass won't let them do what needs to be done or has been corrupted.

Fair points. Just seemed really poorly executed in this movie.

The execution definitely could have been better in certain spots. One thing that was a little bit of a headscratcher was Reynolds' character's overall abilities.
Like, at the beginning, we're led to believe that he's just the guy funding all of this and it's the other members of the team that are the badasses. And that's fine; it's a change of pace to have Reynolds in an action movie where he's the guy pulling the strings as opposed to the one doing the shooting and whatnot. But then, later on, he takes out three guys like they're nothing, and fights other people on the boat in the climax. And so the audience is left to ponder why, during that insane car chase at the beginning, he didn't shoot some of the guys chasing them and instead left it up to Melanie Laurent's character. I get that she's the "bigger" badass of the two, but given that she was bleeding out from a gunshot wound and they had apparently 100 people chasing them, maybe he should have DONE something? I guess maybe he was supposed to be testing the group? But common sense would just tell you that it needed to be all hands on deck in a moment of great peril like that.

Anyway, I'm thinking too much about this movie and that's probably not a good idea, lol.

Yeah just sounds like you didn't like the movie and it had nothing to do with the whole " team of mercenaries who answer to no one to kill the bad people" thing

I really enjoyed it lol, yes it was nothing more than a action/popcorn movie and a fun way to kill 2 hours but I was surprised how enjoyable it was.

Incredibly good soundtrack as well, if you are looking for new gym music you'll find some jams here.

Only thing that was actually really annoying to me was the opening mission mainly because I have very recently returned from visiting Florence and the editing in that scene was awful lol.

I mean he drives in to the Uffizi gallery and comes out at Pitti Palace (which is on the other side of the river). He also seems to go from driving inside the Uffizi to that gag about Michelangelo's David having a small **** which they cut to but that statue is actually in Galleria dell'Accademia:funny: this is probably just a silly nit pick but as I got a little bit of sense for the city it totally took me out of the movie because my brain was just like "wait that's not right"

Last edited:
Yeah, it's just a fun action movie. It doesn't try to be anything more than that. But the cast is really fun and likable; so much so that I'd be watching a sequel the day it's released. Ben Hardy's badass character could get a spinoff of his own. I love parkour stunts.

Is it kind of telling that Netflix hasn’t released the views for this yet? They usually do about a week later for their big releases.

Is it kind of telling that Netflix hasn’t released the views for this yet? They usually do about a week later for their big releases.
Apparently they've said they're up for a sequel

But at $150 mil you're probably right that views haven't been high enough for one.

Netflix usually doesn't release their viewing numbers right?

However, I do agree that this might've not done that well. As I said earlier I didn't see any hype for this. It didn't trend on Twitter, this thread is pretty dead, etc.

They were better off releasing it in January or something after the holiday rush

I'd be up for a sequel. Doubt it will happen though.

Robopocalypse next for Bay!

Keep Bay away from robots. I don’t need to see more metal testicles.

Well it was announced back in 2018 along with him doing 6 Underground, but it seems like that project has been in development hell for a while so it wouldn't surprise me if he bailed on it.

Robopocalypse is essentially a Terminator knockoff so I would love to see Bay's take on it.

They were supposed to adapt How to Survive a Robot Uprising, which I'd rather see anyway.

This was just kkkkrazzzy. I wasn't feeling the movie at the beginning, in fact I felt the opening chase scene went on too long. But the Hong Kong and Turgistan mission were fantastic. The magnetic boat at the end was ingenious :wowe:

Among the members, I really liked 2 & 3. Those two were the highlights for me. The hitman guy was hilarious and he was the best part of the movie. The CIA lady was great too.

Bay established a premise that can spawn multiple sequels so I'm down for more Bayhem. But he recently signed a first look type of deal with Sony so that may hinder the development of a potential sequel. Will be a shame if Bay can't follow this one up with another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"