Disney Talking ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ Reboot With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick

Eh, I don't have a ton of faith in it being good but on principle I think a fun pirate fantasy series with a new lead has potential. It's a bit of a double edged sword because Jack was the entire selling point of the franchise yet making him the central character played a big part in dooming them creatively.

Jack Sparrow feels super, super done but there's always fun to be had with sea-faring fantasy.
^^^This. The franchise began to fail when they tried to make Jack the main character. The basic premise of a pirate adventure can stand just fine on its own. MIB_International failed because they refused to actually give it a reason to exist. It was nothing more than a paint-by-numbers MIB blueprint. Done right, this could absolutely wind up like Jumanji, IMO.

The more money a studio pays an actor, the more they want to turn them into the main marketed character if not also the main story character and screen time lead. This is more common in sequels where the role was written for the actor, but less in originals or first entries where the early script may be written in advance of any casting.

If Disney was smart, they’d make a soft reboot in the form of Jack Sparrow’s offspring showing up and assisting him in some adventure. Of course, keep the budget low and don’t go too heavy on the special effects. What made the first two movies great was the straightforward storytelling and characters. No need to complicate things any further.

^^^This. The franchise began to fail when they tried to make Jack the main character. The basic premise of a pirate adventure can stand just fine on its own. MIB_International failed because they refused to actually give it a reason to exist. It was nothing more than a paint-by-numbers MIB blueprint. Done right, this could absolutely wind up like Jumanji, IMO.

If you don't think this be a paint-by-numbers with Gillan playing a Jack Sparrow-esque drunken pirate trying to be funny, then you have way more faith in this than I would.

If you don't think this be a paint-by-numbers with Gillan playing a Jack Sparrow-esque drunken pirate trying to be funny, then you have way more faith in this than I would.
I think their recent handling of the franchise has made it clear Disney learned not to make Sparrow the central character. Gillian will be the main protagonist, replacing Will, not Jack.

Though I'm baffled by your conviction that she COULDN'T play a killer Sparrow-esque character. She would absolutely kill that role.

I think their recent handling of the franchise has made it clear Disney learned not to make Sparrow the central character. Gillian will be the main protagonist, replacing Will, not Jack.

Though I'm baffled by your conviction that she COULDN'T play a killer Sparrow-esque character. She would absolutely kill that role.

For an actress who's played non-conventional characters on the big screen, she ain't playing a bland-Will type character. She's obviously going to play a Jack-esque pirate.

But just as talented as Tessa Thompson was, having her be Will Smith's replacement and trying to be funny didn't work. I feel that's why the MIB: International comparison is apt. But hey, prove me wrong Disney.

I really don't want to see anyone play a Jack-esque character. Do they have the talent to do so? Sure, but if you're gonna do it, create someone new. Trying to replicate it is a recipe for disaster. It would be superficial to go about that idea; forgetting what made that first movie work so well. That all was just lightening in a bottle inspired. Don't do that. Just remember these people are pirates and start there.

Maybe she's going to play the redheaded lady pirate at the auction scene in the ride with the rum and the hens.

I really don't want to see anyone play a Jack-esque character. Do they have the talent to do so? Sure, but if you're gonna do it, create someone new. Trying to replicate it is a recipe for disaster. It would be superficial to go about that idea; forgetting what made that first movie work so well. That all was just lightening in a bottle inspired. Don't do that. Just remember these people are pirates and start there.

Never going to happen under Disney. Sparrow or not, these are always going to be Saturday morning cartoon pirates. No chance in hell Disney does something like Black Sails where they act like real pirates. It doesn't fit what the studio does or has ever done.

Never going to happen under Disney. Sparrow or not, these are always going to be Saturday morning cartoon pirates. No chance in hell Disney does something like Black Sails where they act like real pirates. It doesn't fit what the studio does or has ever done.

Oh yeah, I mean not like Black Sails, just to keep in mind what fundamentally made those movies work was the fact they never lost sight of pirates nature. They're always scheming, have ulterior motives and are selfish. I'm not expecting something edgier, I wouldn't ask that, but not to tale for granted the success of those films.

Someone watched "Curse of the Black Spot" too many times

This has always been, and will always be, Depp's franchise. This will simply not work and poor Karen Gillan is going to get caught on this sinking ship. I'll just add, I frankly don't understand this move from Disney. The thing they can least afford right now with all their parks closed is making bad decisions. Making another film from their only home grown franchise without having its primary selling point is mind boggling to say the least.

Last edited:
For an actress who's played non-conventional characters on the big screen, she ain't playing a bland-Will type character. She's obviously going to play a Jack-esque pirate.

But just as talented as Tessa Thompson was, having her be Will Smith's replacement and trying to be funny didn't work. I feel that's why the MIB: International comparison is apt. But hey, prove me wrong Disney.

Problem is the actors they are trying to replace the originals with don't have the same appeal to audiences nor do they poses the same on screen charisma the likes of Smith and Depp have.

I liked Kaya in the last one as Carina, and Keira as Elizabeth in the earlier films to a certain extent. But neither was trying to be a Jack Sparrow impersonation...the closest to that was Cruz in the fourth movie so they sort of covered that ground already.

513d69cJ5QL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A tie-in book for the last movie

Dunno why people think Karen Gillan's not a huge draw. She's got a ton of geek cred thanks to Doctor Who, the MCU and Jumanji. You guys have no faith. As for the MIB International comparison, that's not fair. What happened on that movie was the studio butting heads with F. Gary Grey because he wanted to do a "Winter Soldier"-esque darker and more political story for a series that's SUPPOSED to be comedic and action-y and he got pissy the whole rest of production when they told him "no". Grey was 100% the wrong choice for that film and it suffered. That was nothing like this, which hasn't even begun filming yet.

Regardless, Disney needs to give Pirates a rest for a while. The last movie felt very forced in a lot of areas and Carina felt like a Rey wannabe to me (and I like Rey; don't argue with me). And between this and the half-assed Lion King remake, Jeff Nathanson is a hack who clearly wrote it out of distain for Dead Man's Chest and At World's End given how he retconned what Will's responsibilities on the Dutchman were supposed to be and killed off Barbosa again for little to no reason. **** that guy. Either way, I'd rather see Guillermo del Toro's Haunted Mansion movie get made instead. I really don't know why Disney's just sitting on that one!

Last edited:
I prefer Carina to Rey, thought the latter started half baked in her first movie and just became more embarrassing after. And Carina found her family and took her father’s surname in the end instead of somebody else’s at least.

If you were writing off Depp’s Sparrow in a movie without killing him off (next to nobody wants to see that and it’s the most cliche thing movies are doing nowadays by killing their former biggest stars), what do you do? That’s the question that would have to be addressed by a sequel in a series that’s running out of steam. It’s been made even more complicated by the ending of the last movie in seemingly promising a Will and Elizabeth and Davy Jones reunion tour (I feel like I’m done with their story, but not necessarily Carina and Henry’s.)

Last edited:
Dunno why people think Karen Gillan's not a huge draw. She's got a ton of geek cred thanks to Doctor Who, the MCU and Jumanji. You guys have no faith. As for the MIB International comparison, that's not fair. What happened on that movie was the studio butting heads with F. Gary Grey because he wanted to do a "Winter Soldier"-esque darker and more political story for a series that's SUPPOSED to be comedic and action-y and he got pissy the whole rest of production when they told him "no". Grey was 100% the wrong choice for that film and it suffered. That was nothing like this, which hasn't even begun filming yet.

Regardless, Disney needs to give Pirates a rest for a while. The last movie felt very forced in a lot of areas and Carina felt like a Rey wannabe to me (and I like Rey; don't argue with me). And between this and the half-assed Lion King remake, Jeff Nathanson is a hack who clearly wrote it out of distain for Dead Man's Chest and At World's End given how he retconned what Will's responsibilities on the Dutchman were supposed to be and killed off Barbosa again for little to no reason. **** that guy. Either way, I'd rather see Guillermo del Toro's Haunted Mansion movie get made instead. I really don't know why Disney's just sitting on that one!

Sure she's got cred in the geek community. But that doesn't mean she's a box office draw.

It originated in October of last year from garbage tier website We Got This Covered (because they constantly make stuff up about everything so buyer beware) that Karen Gillan is taking over Pirates in a reboot.
We Got This Covered just comes off like they create stories for the types that hate something because it's a reboot of something that used to star white dudes or straight people, and it doesn't now, so it's automatically bad. Should be called Triggered lol.

No one is though. Stars don't open movies anymore.

Yes they do. In the right kind of projects. Will Smith in an Aladdin or Bad Boys certainly helps open those. Leonardo DiCaprio in pretty much anything. Tom Cruise in a Mission Impossible.

And what do those actors have in common? They are in their 40's and 50's, as is Depp. I cannot think of a single actor these days in their 20's or 30's who's name has any value in drawing audiences in. There's a lot of talent, but they aren't interesting enough to be the selling point anymore. We have a problem in movies in that the franchise value has superseded the actors value, a large part of that I feel is because the modern talent have extraordinarily bland personalities and lack charisma. I mean, ask yourselves, how many of the actors in the MCU could be replaced in their roles? I'd argue strongly a large percentage of them could be changed with other actors and it wouldn't affect the series. Pirates on the other hand is a franchise that lives and dies by Depp's participation. For as talented as Karen is, and I maintain she was the best thing out of the last two Avengers films, there's nothing about her that stands out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"