Disney Talking ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ Reboot With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick

I really liked On Stranger Tides as well. Considerably moreso than the two films that sandwich it. I like how straight-forward it is. These different parties are after the Fountain of Youth and they go on an adventure on a strange island in a race to find it. The mermaid sequence and final confrontation at the Fountain were great. I found Penelope Cruz far more enjoyable than Keira Knightley, and while he was criticized at the time for not being flashy enough Ian McShane's Blackbeard has really grown on me on subsequent rewatches.

For another film, I have zero interest in one with Johnny Depp and he has had a ton of well publicized struggles (which I think affected his performance in the last film). So he's going to have to get things together for this to work. I just don't know if the passion is there on pretty much all sides (cast, crew, and the studio) to really put in the effort needed anymore. Sparrow being a useless drunk, washed-up old hasbeen dragged back into the game could be an interesting direction.

Last edited:
They tried to do that in the last movie kind of and it was a failure. I think Depp's offscreen life effected that performance and the directors had to adjust. I mean you can read about how they had to deal with him. And it shows. Jack is an absolute baffoon in it. Besides Barbossa the original characters don't really resemble their old selves.

Last edited:
Oh well you could say that for everyone who tried to copy marvel and failed. The DCU, the Universal Monsters Dark Universe, the Men in Black movie with Hemsworth etc
Ehhh... one of those things is not like the others.

He said this a couple years ago:

Depp has a great affinity for Sparrow, whose persona is borrowed from Keith Richards, another Depp idol. He’s protective of the character and claims he battled with Disney screenwriters repeatedly.

“Why must you have these ****ing heinous subplots?” asks Depp. “It’s convoluted. There is not a ****ing soul that wants to see Captain Jack Sparrow sad.”

Reminds me of Mark Hamill on SW:TLJ’s take on Luke Skywalker.

Of course he was protective. It was the only character he played for years. Even outside the POTC movies....

Good actors are protective of every character they play.

But it’s how the character serves the story not the other way around and actors get lost in that sometimes.

I don’t think reboot means the same anyway. Reboot could just mean new direction but same continuity ala Jurassic World.

There could be potential as an unconnected sequel/next film, new film but with new characters.

2 and 3 were too bloated and somehow 4 was too, Sparrow already outlived his welcome in 3. The only character worth revisiting is maybe Elizabeth but probably best to just have all-new characters.

I think it's just better to put this to bed. I'm open to a new take and it could work, but the chances of that aren't really high or even reaching the heights of the first. That movie was lightening in a bottle and the two sequels, even if they weren't as good, was made with a special care you can't repeat.

I like the setting, production design and the mythology - some kind of reboot without any of the original characters would be awesome

I think all the good will from the first film has all but evaporated with each passing sequel. Now that Disney+ is on the table, I’d say... animated series? Live action series set in the universe but unrelated to Sparrow and the others?

I think there’s still fun to be had, but continually relying on Depp to have said fun... ehh.

The park-attraction was one of the most beloved theme park rides 20-30 years before Johnny Depp

I will always love the first two Pirates movies. I know some people weren't big on DMC, but man I still remember seeing that in a packed theater OW and having a real blast with it. I actually think I prefer it over the original, but that being said ever since then these movies just haven't really done it for me. I didn't even see the last one, but without Depp this franchise definitely wouldn't be the same, but a this point what the hell else could they do?

I will always love the first two Pirates movies. I know some people weren't big on DMC, but man I still remember seeing that in a packed theater OW and having a real blast with it. I actually think I prefer it over the original, but that being said ever since then these movies just haven't really done it for me. I didn't even see the last one, but without Depp this franchise definitely wouldn't be the same, but a this point what the hell else could they do?
Yeah it seems like many people only loved the first one but I loved DMC too. After that though they became a bit too dumb even for me. :D

The park-attraction was one of the most beloved theme park rides 20-30 years before Johnny Depp

Yeah a theme park attraction. So was Haunted Mansion. So was Country Bears. Pirates of the Caribbean was the only one that worked as a movie and mainly because of Johnny Depp.

I have no interest in a Pirates reboot without Jack Sparrow. It's pointless.

A pirate film can be fun. Jack was an important part of launching the franchise. But I don't see how he can't be worked around to make a fun film that will be a crowd pleaser.

I think because this has been the only really successful pirate franchise in a long time, right? Have there been any others in the past few decades? I mean, Black Sails was a hundred times better than any of these movies and people barely paid attention to it.

I think because this has been the only really successful pirate franchise in a long time, right? Have there been any others in the past few decades? I mean, Black Sails was a hundred times better than any of these movies and people barely paid attention to it.
I agree. We live in the world of IPs, and this is the Pirate IP. I mean even when no one cared anymore, the last one did 750m, and before that they had a couple of billion dollar films and another that came right in under that. Nothing else can really come close to the potential this series has shown.

Last edited:
Who will be their next $1B a movie attracting star?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"