Disney Talking ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ Reboot With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick

more like without Sam Neil and Jeff Goldblum...oh wait
A JP movie without T-Rex or Raptors would be a PotC movie without pirates and ships

I agree. We live in the world of IPs, and this is the Pirate IP. I mean even when no one cared anymore, the last one did 750m, and before that they had a couple of billion dollar films and another that came right in under that. Nothing else can really come close to the potential this series has shown.

Yeah. Pirates were box office poison for years before these films (Cutthroat Island, anyone?). There may yet be a market for pirates outside of this franchise but for whatever reason, this seems to be the only one that’s really resonated with mainstream audiences. I’m not even sure why, TBH. The first movie looked really great and Depp’s performance was truly iconic, so maybe that’s what kept people coming back? Maybe it was name recognition because people like the Disney World ride? I honestly don’t know.

We also had that dud Pan with Hugh Jackman in 2015. Not even he could save that weird musical-fantasy turd.

Yeah. Pirates were box office poison for years before these films (Cutthroat Island, anyone?). There may yet be a market for pirates outside of this franchise but for whatever reason, this seems to be the only one that’s really resonated with mainstream audiences. I’m not even sure why, TBH. The first movie looked really great and Depp’s performance was truly iconic, so maybe that’s what kept people coming back? Maybe it was name recognition because people like the Disney World ride? I honestly don’t know.

Depp’s performance for sure, but also it was the first time they added the supernatural element to Pirates in cinema. Zombie Pirates goes a long way.

I honestly think it is because it basically became Star Wars, and the three main characters ended up for a time being basically Luke, Leia and Han.

We also had that dud Pan with Hugh Jackman in 2015. Not even he could save that weird musical-fantasy turd.

Oh man, that movie was awful. I really like Garrett Hedlund and Jackman as actors but WOW were they terrible in that movie.

Black Sails seemed reasonably successful. It lasted four seasons. Also Assassin's Creed IV was the best selling game in that franchise. So there does still seem to be a market for pirates when done well.

Honestly, tho, if it was between more Pirates and a legit take on The Haunted Mansion... then the latter has my vote.

‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ Reboot Moving Forward With A Female Lead

According to insider Daniel Richtman, studio is in fact going the reboot route, and are currently looking for a female lead, and one name at the top of Disney’s list to lead the reboot is Avengers: Endgame and Jumanji: The Next Level star Karen Gillan. This is something I can also confirm as I’ve heard rumblings of Gillan as early as last fall. As of now, it is unknown if the actress has had any formal talks with the studio, but the studio is definitely interested.

Another tidbit I hear is that the studio is also considering women of color for the role. Character and story details are being kept under wraps. Though fan speculation will go wild now that Gillan’s name has been mentioned, there could be a possibility that the film will look to be centered on Redd, the popular female pirate featured in the Disney Parks attraction and is a meet-and-greet character.

Back in October, Disney tapped Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin and Ted Elliot, who wrote the previous Pirates films, to find a fresh new direction for the franchise. Jerry Bruckheimer and Chad Oman (Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure) will produce. A director has yet to be picked, but Disney has several names they’ve looked at, I won’t share the names I have heard for now, I’ll save that for a future scoop I’ve been working on. The budget on the film is north of $100M and is being made for a theatrical release, despite rumors of a Disney+ series.

Gillan as the lead has officially drawn my interest. Which has me thinking:

e7cf4b2dd468e05d09cdabe18cc899a5.gif

Robert Sheehan HAS to be the new Jack Sparrow if they use the character again.

I know the series is called Pirates of the Caribbean, but it might as well have been called Jack Sparrow, because he's the whole appeal of it. There won't be much audience interest without him. It isn't like Star Wars or Marvel where there are many characters with large followings.

Eh, I don't have a ton of faith in it being good but on principle I think a fun pirate fantasy series with a new lead has potential. It's a bit of a double edged sword because Jack was the entire selling point of the franchise yet making him the central character played a big part in dooming them creatively.

Jack Sparrow feels super, super done but there's always fun to be had with sea-faring fantasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"