MICHAEL KEATON RETURNS (or at least in discussion) AS BATMAN

Bruce and Selina don't have to be married. Perhaps they have crossed paths many times over the years, maintaining that tense, melancholy relationship they showcased in Batman Returns.

Would be great to see Selina Kyle again but I think its more likely that they bring back Vicki Vale. I recently bought the 4 movie collection on Apple TV. The 1989 movie and Returns look very good in 4K.

What makes you think it's more likely? Either one is a valid choice I suppose, but Pfeiffer's Selina is more iconic, she had better chemistry with Keaton and greater story potential could be found in the Bruce/Selina dynamic.

It'll be interesting to see what the Batman '89 comic does with Selina and if Vale might pop up as well.

I'm glad Keaton was confirmed. As for Vicki, and Selina?

Well, considering in the CW/DC Crisis they had that Bruce Wayne to marry Selina Kyle newspaper I feel like they already chosen Selina.

Also while we wouldn't like it, it could be revealed they did get married had Helena but a few years later Selina gave up her last life to save Helena in Crime Alley, and ever since her death Bruce became estranged to Helena.

Actually, having Selina already dead could explain why they haven't ask Pfeiffer to return yet but I feel like the only way they can get away with that if they have Flash undo her death at the end.

Well, considering in the CW/DC Crisis they had that Bruce Wayne to marry Selina Kyle newspaper I feel like they already chosen Selina.
Did they say they were married, or about to be married? Maybe it fell apart at the last minute, Selina just couldn't bring herself to settle down to live in Bruce's castle.

Part of me just kind of wants to see, VS a take on a comic book source material like KINGDOM COME or DKR or BATMAN BEYOND with Keaton's older Batman, more of the general "adaption" take Burton presented. No real specific influences for the character himself, just something distinctly Burtonesque. Though that may be difficult in the current environment of comic book films, where classic storylines tend to have some major influences on plot.

Or...they could toss Marlon Wayans in there.

I've said much the same before, though in a much less blatant and definitive manner lol. I think Milk Tray Guy is on a similar wavelength(?). I don't necessarily need to see Batman Beyond or anything along those lines, but at the same time, I can't imagine that Burton has given much thought over the years as to where Keaton's Wayne would have ended up in old age.

Following a general comic book storyline but filtering it through Burton's creative and stylistic sensibilities would be the right way to go imo. That's a big part of the reason why I think Burton should be brought on as a creative consultant or something similar.

What makes you think it's more likely? Either one is a valid choice I suppose, but Pfeiffer's Selina is more iconic, she had better chemistry with Keaton and greater story potential could be found in the Bruce/Selina dynamic.

It'll be interesting to see what the Batman '89 comic does with Selina and if Vale might pop up as well.
Burton's Catwoman is crazy so I don't think Bruce would have long term relationship or get married with her. He might want it at first but it wouldn't work. Of course I could be wrong. :) Its also possible that old Bruce might only mention some things about his life in the movie but we don't not see it.

But didnt the newspaper show a "younger" Bruce? So they could go either way with that, if anything.
The question is what Keatons batmans role will be and how "important" such things are for the story.

Will be interesting to see what they reveal on how his life has gone since Batman Returns.

Would like to see Vickie or Selina...but i could do without.

As i said before, im thinking more about what could happen after this Flashpoint movie.
If Keaton, WB etc tasted blood with it, it could lead maybe to a solo movie that could explore this all more(preferably involving scarecrow).

Many made this point, while its cool to have Keaton back and all, this needs to be a Flash movie first and foremost.
And with it being also a Flashpoint movie, there is a lot on the table already, i dont know if diving too much into Keatons Batman story and what he has done since BR, isnt making the movie too unfocused on the story.
We will need to see.

Naturally, while I would like to see Selina at some point, it doesn't need to be in The Flash. I think we need to keep reminding ourselves that this is not Batman III. However, something like this in passing would be neat:

Also, whatever they do with Keaton Bats, I really hope Muschietti keeps Burton and his sensibilities strongly at the forefront of his mind. I don't want to see Keaton in some glossy, CGI monstrosity of a suit or engaging in any over the top battles in an exo-skeleton. At least for now keep it simple, classy and restrained, just like the Batman from Burton's films. I still want this aesthetic more than anything:

Practical effects, models and a strong exploration of light vs shadow. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. I think less is more with this Batman.

Last edited:
They didnt show anything in Crisis CW crossover. Spoiler pics showed Knox reading a paper with a picture of Keaton and it said something like " Bruce Wayne marries Selina Kyle ". In the actual episode, Keatons image had been changed to old Jerry Ordway B89 artwork and it said something like "Batman captures Joker"

Also, I doubt The Flash movie cares that much about a CW crossover, with the exception being that they might show Grant Gustin.

They didnt show anything in Crisis CW crossover. Spoiler pics showed Knox reading a paper with a picture of Keaton and it said something like " Bruce Wayne marries Selina Kyle ". In the actual episode, Keatons image had been changed to old Jerry Ordway B89 artwork and it said something like "Batman captures Joker"
Ah, that's interesting. I wonder why.

Every single bit of "news" about the Flash movie doesn't seem founded in anything beyond the articles' writers' personal wishes or "Wouldn't it be cool if..." mentality. Is Affleck in it? Yeah, sounds like that's a deal. Apparently, Affleck's Batman will be like a face for Barry, as they share stuff. But this is about all we know. Beyond that, Iris is in it played by the same actress from Justice League, and Barry's dad is in it, but isn't played by the same actor. Every other shred of anything else is made up and probably fake.

I wonder about how they'll explain Keaton's universe. Is that universe created by Flash's time traveling, or was it always there and Flash is only accessing it somehow?
Well taking DC multiverse lore into account he's likely accessing it. It would be very strange otherwise.

I wonder about how they'll explain Keaton's universe. Is that universe created by Flash's time traveling, or was it always there and Flash is only accessing it somehow?
If it was a universe we hadn't seen before they could go either way, but given it's one we already know I agree with emielaen and geosphere and go with he'll be accessing it.

Sadly, it's not the same as the original 89 film used Knebworth House for exteriors. A shame they couldn't shoot there, but it might have a passing resemblance in the final film.

Sadly, it's not the same as the original 89 film used Knebworth House for exteriors. A shame they couldn't shoot there, but it might have a passing resemblance in the final film.
The two places do look very similar. Although neither bears much resemblance to Wayne Manor in Batman Returns! :funny:

The two places do look very similar. Although neither bears much resemblance to Wayne Manor in Batman Returns! :funny:

Yeah i Always find really strange that the manor was so different in Batman returns in comparison to Batman 89. It's not even close. It's supposed to be a sequel.

Batman Returns is a standalone sequel. Burton had no interest in doing a sequential sequel. Everything was rethought from the ground up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"